Apple unveils new iPad Pro with 3D scanner, trackpad support

Comments

• Reply 81 of 124
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    spice-boy said:
    Looks like most people find the new keyboard way to pricy, I guess a third party hardware company will produce one for less money, or will Apple prevent that from happening? One tells me Apple is swing it's monopoly stick the other embraces competition. 
    Has Apple ever prevented Logitech from making compatible mice or keyboards? No.
    StrangeDaysmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 124
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Not sure why people are complaining about the price of the keyboard. It freak'n holds the entire iPad in the air and balances it, has USB-C port, clickable trackpad, it's backlit, and it as thin as before! If that's not your thing, buy the other keyboard. Or better yet, don't buy a keyboard.
    StrangeDaysforegoneconclusionjmgregory1watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 124
    ZRyserZRyser Posts: 40member
    CPU still based on the A12 architecture, and no mention of miniLED display. I think I'll skip this update. Not much of an upgrade over my 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro
  • Reply 84 of 124
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    tht said:

tht said:
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.
    What is the tangible benefit to users on miniLED that makes it a requirement?
    For me, watching videos in the dark. I want the blacks to be darker. To be able to move videos to the top of the display instead of behind letterboxed too. 
    I see. For a different device with a primary use case of movies in the dark (like my TV), I would require that as well. But for a generalist device I don’t expect that will be a required feature for most people. 
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is my generalist device. It's my primary personal computer. I use Numbers, Safari, Textastic, Notes, Files, email, banking, business, web forums, GoodNotes, drawing/doodling, language apps, all manner of apps, and use it for entertainment. There is a rumor from Kuo that miniLED is coming this Fall. It and 8 GB will be worth the wait. And, I do not have an external keyboard. It's the software keyboard all the time for me. Best way to use the iPad imo.

Maybe not oddly enough, we don't use the TV enough to warrant any fancy features. Perfectly ok with a dumb 1080p 55" LCD TV. Watching video on iPads and iPhones in the darkness of the bedroom though, that's done a lot!
    macplusplusjmgregory1watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 124
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    lkrupp said:
    So, piece by piece, the iPad is devolving into a laptop. I thought Apple always looked to the future, not revering the past.
    Disagree.  To me, this represents the future of the laptop => a 2-in-1 that's based on a touch-first mobile OS that can support variety of inputs depending on your workflow and task at hand

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 124
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    tht said:
    tht said:

tht said:
    The wait continues for me. No buy until miniLED and 8 GB RAM.
    What is the tangible benefit to users on miniLED that makes it a requirement?
    For me, watching videos in the dark. I want the blacks to be darker. To be able to move videos to the top of the display instead of behind letterboxed too. 
    I see. For a different device with a primary use case of movies in the dark (like my TV), I would require that as well. But for a generalist device I don’t expect that will be a required feature for most people. 
    My iPad Pro 10.5 is my generalist device. It's my primary personal computer. I use Numbers, Safari, Textastic, Notes, Files, email, banking, business, web forums, GoodNotes, drawing/doodling, language apps, all manner of apps, and use it for entertainment. There is a rumor from Kuo that miniLED is coming this Fall. It and 8 GB will be worth the wait. And, I do not have an external keyboard. It's the software keyboard all the time for me. Best way to use the iPad imo.

Maybe not oddly enough, we don't use the TV enough to warrant any fancy features. Perfectly ok with a dumb 1080p 55" LCD TV. Watching video on iPads and iPhones in the darkness of the bedroom though, that's done a lot!
    Funny, I’m just the opposite — I have a plasma TV and won’t consider an LCD TV for the same reasons you cite here, poorer performance in dark rooms when viewing films. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 124
    pmb01pmb01 Posts: 25member
    Hurrah for new keyboard will be getting as soon as they are available. Major improvement. 

Yeh, but $300 - $350 for a keyboard and trackpad?   And it's not even wireless (Although Apple's mounting system looks really spiffy and, in typical Apple fashion, may make the whole greater than the sum of its parts).

I think the iPad just became an adult.
    It IS wireless. It connects through the Smart Connector.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 124
    Nice update but what others have said about the keyboard price.
    Now everyone who claims that "proper trackpad support" was all they needed to use an iPad instead of a Mac can put up or shut up...since the total cost will exceed even that of a MacBook Air...surely price was never their real motivator...right? Right?
    Apple needs to bring Xcode, Logic and Final Cut to iPadOS.
    No, they don't. People need to use Macs for the most serious work, and always will.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 124
    Apple needs to bring Xcode, Logic and Final Cut to iPadOS.
    No, they don't. People need to use Macs for the most serious work, and always will.
    I have to disagree regarding Xcode not being a good addition to the iPad Pro. For building AR apps for the iPad Pro with location based experiences involving live GPS data as an integral part of the app, this opens the possibility of testing an app in a real world setting, rather than having to simulate data. Additionally, it becomes possible to test sensors on the device and also monitor/optimize performance settings. Although this is specific to the developer community, everybody benefits from new and improved apps.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 124
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    Apple has not changed its mind.  MacBook Pro do not have touch screens.
    iPad screens are not always attached to a keyboard, hence touch screens.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 91 of 124
    Very nice video...

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobraiqatedo
  • Reply 92 of 124
    seankill said:
    Meh. This refresh appears very minor, at best. 
    Not for those who use a physical keyboard with their iPad. And the cursor support they added looks nice. Almost like the focus engine from Apple TV.
    You don't need to even buy the new iPad to get the Magic Keyboard. You can also buy the Magic Keyboard for the previous generation iPad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 124
    I found the clip of Steve Job saying they would never introduce that: but why has Apple changed its mind now? Are those "tons of user testing" out the window?
    Apple didn’t change.  They in fact are sticking to their guns and eliminating the one negative thing of using the iPad with a separate keyboard - which is that you have had to move your hands from the keyboard up and away from you to interact with the screen for certain situations.  That is a horrible way to interact with any computer - it was a bad idea when Microsoft pushed it in PC laptops and Steve recognized that, as any human who actually has to do real work that involves typing on a keyboard recognizes.  

Now making the iPad Pro something that is both perfect as a fully touch interaction device, as well as a keyboard and trackpad driven device is ideal.  At least it is for me, and I would bet it’s true for a lot of other people.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 94 of 124
    Hurrah for new keyboard will be getting as soon as they are available. Major improvement. 

Yeh, but $300 - $350 for a keyboard and trackpad?   And it's not even wireless (Although Apple's mounting system looks really spiffy and, in typical Apple fashion, may make the whole greater than the sum of its parts).

I'm not sure why wireless would be better. It's the same keyboard that's in the new Macbook Air and 16" Macbook Pro, however.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 95 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    pmb01 said:

It IS wireless. It connects through the Smart Connector.

Uh, excuse me -- but that's even more restrictive than a wired keyboard.  

But, as I said, despite that, Apple appears to have done a real job integrating the two.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 96 of 124
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    seankill said:
    Meh. This refresh appears very minor, at best. 
    Not for those who use a physical keyboard with their iPad. And the cursor support they added looks nice. Almost like the focus engine from Apple TV.
    You don't need to even buy the new iPad to get the Magic Keyboard. You can also buy the Magic Keyboard for the previous generation iPad.

I think only the iPad Pros (including the older ones) have the necessary smart connector. 
  • Reply 97 of 124
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    edited March 2020 mbenz1962watto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 124
    Here's your ARM-based Mac  ;)
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 124
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The iPad Pro 3rd Gen is HOBBLED by its data transfer speed from the USB-C port. 

I would buy the new one in a flash if this has been solved.  I guess it hasn't as Apple have not made it a feature. 

I know a lot of professional photographers/videographers disappointed that they could not use the massive 1Tb storage in the iPad Pro for transferring in their daily shoot for editing on the move and I'm with them on that. It was disappointingly slow. 

Another use case imaging pro's have is on the go backup.   Using an external SSD on a USB-C hub, to be able to transfer files from a camera to the external SSD for backup, and transfer data into internal memory for editing. This should be possible with two simultaneous operations. 

I believe it’s 20Gb/s for a short cable, and down to 10 or 5Gb/s with longer cables. That’s not bad. Most laptops out there don’t do any batter than that, and plenty do worse. Getting Thunderbolt on an ARM device will be complex and expensive now. At some point that could change.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 124
    f1turbo said:
    I hope the new keyboard is more reliable/durable than the original.  I have one of those with the original iPad Pros, and have been having lots of problems with it over the past 6 months or so.  Frequently gives me a message that “This accessory is not supported by this device,” doesn’t work, or just keeps beeping until I disconnect it. 
    I have also been having the same problem for quite sometime. One of the things that I’ve noticed that helps is to shut down all open windows and hook it up to a power supply. This doesn’t work all the time but it does provide a greater success rate. My thinking on this is that it just can’t keep up. I think this also explains why sometimes the swipe typing doesn’t register what I’m doing or if it does it cannot do words that are longer than 6 letters. But if I give it a moment without any input it starts to work again. I know I’m 4.5 years in and long in the tooth, but for many uses it is still a fantastic machine. 

Regardless, I am also seriously considering upgrading and even though the cost of the keyboard is high if it can be tilted to any angle that it could be with the price. 

I just had a realization about this comment I made earlier today. I am wondering if it has to do with the health of our batteries. I mentioned that it works better plugged in, though not always. Well just this evening I sat down to do some writing and I was having issues with the keyboard (despite it being plugged in) and so I found myself having to swipe type. But when the battery became fully charged the keyboard became active again. This single observation/test is obviously convincing enough for me to comment on it. I am interested in seeing what further tests reveal.
    watto_cobra