China ready to retaliate against Apple after U.S. moves to ban chip shipments to Huawei

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,439member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:
    Hey, how is that new Huawei operating system doing?  That is right - it’s a total zero 

Wait for the US to pull all Android inc “open source” out of China.  Then the real fun will begin 

China does not realize the hole its dug for itself.  Who in their right mind will ever build another factory there? 

HarmonyOS 1.0 shipped last year on TVs. The kernel was on Huawei watches last year too. It is also running on some routers.

HarmonyOS 2.0 was just released - on schedule. 

It will interface with the Huawei Hi-Car module due to ship on 118 car models starting this June. 

Parts of it are also tucked away in EMUI. 

If rumours are your thing:

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/02/huawei-to-replace-windows-10-with-harmonyos-2-0-in-its-pcs/

The U.S cannot pull the 'Open Source' out of China (at least realistically). Huawei is an international company with non-Chinese companies all over the place. 

For example, my data (and everyone else's in the EU) is managed by Aspiegel. An Irish company (owned by Huawei). 

FWIW, In theory at least, HarmonyOS itself should go fully Open Source by August this year. 

Of course Android open source can be pulled from Chinese mfg.   At best, it will be forked and China will be on its own having to learn to develop and support a large scale OS which it has never done before.   The market for that Chinese OS outside of China would be about "0".    Do you really think India would ever allow it? 

And, how is the Huawei app ecosystem coming along?      How are they doing replicating all the Google apps and services that come with 'standard' Android?    Why have they not brought this OS to their cellphones? 

I think you are confused or mixing things up. 

It won't be China that has to learn to develop a large scale OS. It would be Huawei

However, they are already doing that and HarmonyOS would simply mean baking the whole cake.

As for why HarmonyOS isn't on cellphones, they have made many comments on the subject but trying to cover all the bases. The official line is that they would prefer to continue their work with Android and that's what Google says too. Reading between the lines, I think it's clear that it is coming. Some rumours even point to this autumn. 

I think you are seriously underestimating the complexity of EMUI, how it ties in with Android today and the extras it adds to the system. For example, when Huawei released the NPU, it developed its own runtime while also supporting the stock Android runtime. Beyond that support and looking in the other direction to huge AI compute platforms on the Ascend line of processors for example, they introduced the DaVinci architecture and Mindspore. Ascend scales down from huge AI clusters (Ascend 910 on Atlas 900) right down through everything below it, passing through phones and stopping at Ascend Nano for earbuds and the like.

The App ecosystem is coming along very nicely. Incredible what they have done in less than 12 months. They actually claim that HMS is more secure than GMS. They have signed TomTom, Here and (as you mentioned India) MapMyIndia, to cover the loss of Google Maps. In the process they have given a huge boost to Google Maps competitors. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/04/26/huawei-surprises-millions-of-users-with-stunning-google-alternative/#89003a655b06

Huawei AppGallery takes less of a cut from developers than Apple or Google stores.

The Huawei Assistant will break out of China to cover the loss of Google Assistant. 

Of course Google lobbied hard to be able to do business with Huawei and applied for a licence. It stands to lose billions in revenue as a result of not being able to do business with Huawei and see the market further divided. They had plans to release an audio device with Huawei (Co-developed) which had to be shelved. 

App Gallery is already the third largest App Store in the world.

It is not a 100% replacement for GMS just yet, but it is getting there. 

And, before you ask, the hardware ecosystem, it's not too shabby either:

I'm not sure what relevance all this has to the thread. You'd do better opening your own thread if you want to take this line further. 

My goodness those things in the video are obvious knockoffs. I Bert their OS will be based off of Apple's software (forked android with touch gestures).  

Well, if they make HarmonyOS Open Source this year you will be able to see for yourself. 

As it is, we know the approach is quite different to Apple’s. Apple has iOS, Watch OS, iPad OS, macOS etc. Huawei plans for one OS and virtualised hardware. That is, the best hardware for a task can be used depending on what is available for you choose from.

I don't remember ever having seen an OLED TV from Apple running proprietary chipsets. 

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161487/apple-mac-pro-display-xdr-review-6k-lcd-screen-price-features

"I’m telling you all of this so that I can put Apple’s riff on local dimming into context. It’s still local dimming, but Apple says it’s using special blue LEDs in 576 zones — one LED per zone — behind a set of custom lenses and layers that even out colors and brightness. The whole thing is run by a custom Apple-designed timing controller that runs the backlight at 10 times the refresh rate of the display itself, which should reduce smearing. Using certain industry-standard VESA test patterns, Apple says the Pro Display XDR can hit a contrast ratio of a million-to-one, which is right up there with OLED.

When I first saw the Pro Display XDR, I was incredibly impressed by how it looked. The black levels in high-contrast scenes with a lot of black are there. The resolution is undeniable, especially with 4K video and photography. And it is incredibly bright in that default mode that can hit 1,600 nits. There’s not a lot out there like it. As we were working on our review video and having people gather around the display to watch different edits, it always attracted a crowd. It’s just nice to look at."

But, but, not OLED.

Sony X300 OLED is $34K, so the XDR has some issues with light falloff at that sides, but is 5 times cheaper.

You are talking about a monitor and a controller.

I was talking about an OLED TV and a chipset (a full SoC). Also a full OS. 

In fact, OLED or LCD, it doesn't matter. The display technology itself wasn't the point, which you sadly missed, again.

Who cares; what you describe isn't difficult to do. Remember WebTV from the mid to late nineties? Running on an SOC still wouldn't be a great experience.

https://www.mediatek.com/news-events/press-releases/mediateks-world-leading-8k-dtv-soc-in-volume

Do you not think that Apple could do that if they produced a television, though of course, why would Apple ship a television with a "full OS", as if that means anything. Hell, the AppleTV is just an SOC with a few added components. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

Let me know when Huawei ships a mobile phone with Harmony OS that is competitive with Android OS or iOS, then you can brag. Heck, you want to buy it, just to prove your loyalty to Huawei.
    You still miss the point (which was simple enough) . Let me spell it out for you:

How could Huawei, ehem, 'knock off' a product Apple doesn't even have?

Apple TV has nothing to do with something like an X65. No cameras, no display, no speakers etc. It is not the whole widget. It is a box that relies on being connected to a display and speakers. 

It is NOT about if Apple could pull it off. Literally anyone could pull it off. The point was that Apple simply doesn't have such a product. See second paragraph of this post. 
    I never claimed it was a knockoff, so stop the fucking gaslighting. Apple doesn't have that product because they don't sell low margin televisions. 

More to the point, they have finely tuned variants of their operating system, not a one size fits all Harmony 2.0 OS they seem to be pushing.

For the record, Apple has already built devices that have cameras, displays, speakers, et al; they call them iMac's, Mac Books, or Mac Book Pro's and again, they have a fully functional desktop OS for those, not a home theater OS that is being repurposed for mobile.
    Nobody said you claimed anything! 

Re-read the posts. 

You jumped on my reply to another person who did make the claim. 

Have you forgotten that? Or did you not bother to read in the context of my reply and simply wade in when you saw it? 

For the record, yes everybody knows Apple has included speakers, displays and cameras on devices. 

For the record, that is irrelevant. 

Check the links in the previous post. It's you that is confused.
  • Reply 62 of 91
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,899member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    Beats said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:
    Hey, how is that new Huawei operating system doing?  That is right - it’s a total zero 

Wait for the US to pull all Android inc “open source” out of China.  Then the real fun will begin 

China does not realize the hole its dug for itself.  Who in their right mind will ever build another factory there? 

HarmonyOS 1.0 shipped last year on TVs. The kernel was on Huawei watches last year too. It is also running on some routers.

It will interface with the Huawei Hi-Car module due to ship on 118 car models starting this June. 

https://www.gizchina.com/2020/05/02/huawei-to-replace-windows-10-with-harmonyos-2-0-in-its-pcs/

The U.S cannot pull the 'Open Source' out of China (at least realistically). Huawei is an international company with non-Chinese companies all over the place. 

For example, my data (and everyone else's in the EU) is managed by Aspiegel. An Irish company (owned by Huawei). 

FWIW, In theory at least, HarmonyOS itself should go fully Open Source by August this year. 

Of course Android open source can be pulled from Chinese mfg.   At best, it will be forked and China will be on its own having to learn to develop and support a large scale OS which it has never done before.   The market for that Chinese OS outside of China would be about "0".    Do you really think India would ever allow it? 

And, how is the Huawei app ecosystem coming along?      How are they doing replicating all the Google apps and services that come with 'standard' Android?    Why have they not brought this OS to their cellphones? 

I think you are confused or mixing things up. 

It won't be China that has to learn to develop a large scale OS. It would be Huawei

However, they are already doing that and HarmonyOS would simply mean baking the whole cake.

As for why HarmonyOS isn't on cellphones, they have made many comments on the subject but trying to cover all the bases. The official line is that they would prefer to continue their work with Android and that's what Google says too. Reading between the lines, I think it's clear that it is coming. Some rumours even point to this autumn. 

I think you are seriously underestimating the complexity of EMUI, how it ties in with Android today and the extras it adds to the system. For example, when Huawei released the NPU, it developed its own runtime while also supporting the stock Android runtime. Beyond that support and looking in the other direction to huge AI compute platforms on the Ascend line of processors for example, they introduced the DaVinci architecture and Mindspore. Ascend scales down from huge AI clusters (Ascend 910 on Atlas 900) right down through everything below it, passing through phones and stopping at Ascend Nano for earbuds and the like.

The App ecosystem is coming along very nicely. Incredible what they have done in less than 12 months. They actually claim that HMS is more secure than GMS. They have signed TomTom, Here and (as you mentioned India) MapMyIndia, to cover the loss of Google Maps. In the process they have given a huge boost to Google Maps competitors. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoffman/2020/04/26/huawei-surprises-millions-of-users-with-stunning-google-alternative/#89003a655b06

Huawei AppGallery takes less of a cut from developers than Apple or Google stores.

The Huawei Assistant will break out of China to cover the loss of Google Assistant. 

Of course Google lobbied hard to be able to do business with Huawei and applied for a licence. It stands to lose billions in revenue as a result of not being able to do business with Huawei and see the market further divided. They had plans to release an audio device with Huawei (Co-developed) which had to be shelved. 

App Gallery is already the third largest App Store in the world.

It is not a 100% replacement for GMS just yet, but it is getting there. 

And, before you ask, the hardware ecosystem, it's not too shabby either:

I'm not sure what relevance all this has to the thread. You'd do better opening your own thread if you want to take this line further. 

My goodness those things in the video are obvious knockoffs. I Bert their OS will be based off of Apple's software (forked android with touch gestures).  

Well, if they make HarmonyOS Open Source this year you will be able to see for yourself. 

As it is, we know the approach is quite different to Apple’s. Apple has iOS, Watch OS, iPad OS, macOS etc. Huawei plans for one OS and virtualised hardware. That is, the best hardware for a task can be used depending on what is available for you choose from.

I don't remember ever having seen an OLED TV from Apple running proprietary chipsets. 

https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/2/21161487/apple-mac-pro-display-xdr-review-6k-lcd-screen-price-features

"I’m telling you all of this so that I can put Apple’s riff on local dimming into context. It’s still local dimming, but Apple says it’s using special blue LEDs in 576 zones — one LED per zone — behind a set of custom lenses and layers that even out colors and brightness. The whole thing is run by a custom Apple-designed timing controller that runs the backlight at 10 times the refresh rate of the display itself, which should reduce smearing. Using certain industry-standard VESA test patterns, Apple says the Pro Display XDR can hit a contrast ratio of a million-to-one, which is right up there with OLED.

When I first saw the Pro Display XDR, I was incredibly impressed by how it looked. The black levels in high-contrast scenes with a lot of black are there. The resolution is undeniable, especially with 4K video and photography. And it is incredibly bright in that default mode that can hit 1,600 nits. There’s not a lot out there like it. As we were working on our review video and having people gather around the display to watch different edits, it always attracted a crowd. It’s just nice to look at."

But, but, not OLED.

Sony X300 OLED is $34K, so the XDR has some issues with light falloff at that sides, but is 5 times cheaper.

You are talking about a monitor and a controller.

I was talking about an OLED TV and a chipset (a full SoC). Also a full OS. 

In fact, OLED or LCD, it doesn't matter. The display technology itself wasn't the point, which you sadly missed, again.

Who cares; what you describe isn't difficult to do. Remember WebTV from the mid to late nineties? Running on an SOC still wouldn't be a great experience.

https://www.mediatek.com/news-events/press-releases/mediateks-world-leading-8k-dtv-soc-in-volume

Do you not think that Apple could do that if they produced a television, though of course, why would Apple ship a television with a "full OS", as if that means anything. Hell, the AppleTV is just an SOC with a few added components. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

Let me know when Huawei ships a mobile phone with Harmony OS that is competitive with Android OS or iOS, then you can brag. Heck, you want to buy it, just to prove your loyalty to Huawei.
    You still miss the point (which was simple enough) . Let me spell it out for you:

How could Huawei, ehem, 'knock off' a product Apple doesn't even have?

Apple TV has nothing to do with something like an X65. No cameras, no display, no speakers etc. It is not the whole widget. It is a box that relies on being connected to a display and speakers. 

It is NOT about if Apple could pull it off. Literally anyone could pull it off. The point was that Apple simply doesn't have such a product. See second paragraph of this post. 
    I never claimed it was a knockoff, so stop the fucking gaslighting. Apple doesn't have that product because they don't sell low margin televisions. 

More to the point, they have finely tuned variants of their operating system, not a one size fits all Harmony 2.0 OS they seem to be pushing.

For the record, Apple has already built devices that have cameras, displays, speakers, et al; they call them iMac's, Mac Books, or Mac Book Pro's and again, they have a fully functional desktop OS for those, not a home theater OS that is being repurposed for mobile.
    Nobody said you claimed anything! 

Re-read the posts. 

You jumped on my reply to another person who did make the claim. 

Have you forgotten that? Or did you not bother to read in the context of my reply and simply wade in when you saw it? 

For the record, yes everybody knows Apple has included speakers, displays and cameras on devices. 

For the record, that is irrelevant. 

Check the links in the previous post. It's you that is confused.
    The links are irrevelant here.

The only point that is relevant is that Apple doesn't have a TV. That is literally it. 

That is where the OP fell flat - right at the outset. Unfortunately you jumped in and started barking up the wrong tree. 

I chose just one example. I could have chosen from innumerable other examples but it was OT at the gate. After my first reply I would have just let it go if you hadn't persisted.

If you think I am confused, that's ok. 
  • Reply 63 of 91
    jccjcc Posts: 333member
    red oak said:
    jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Are you one of those people that’s never left their little village? You do realize the the Chinese can build anything we can. In fact, they can build it better, cheaper and faster. They build an entire Manhattan every year while we’re still working around the World Trade Center 19 years after 9/11. The Chinese are laughing at our sorry asses. They are now the best builders in the world. They export their building expertise while we can’t even build simple fast rails. So, no they Don’t need us. They have more engineers of all kinds than anyone in the world. So, the only thing stupid Trump did is expedite China’s timeline to overtake Silicon Valley. They are now invested in releasing a competing OS that will overtake Android in the world. Just give them a few years. Right now, they have their own ecosystem such as WeChat that’s entirely homegrown. Your kids are crazy about TikTok which is also Chinese built. So, yea keep thinking like the ignorant Trump.
    Right.  That is why China’s entire mobile market of 800 million smartphones runs on Android + iOS.  Last I looked, both of those were made in the US.   And, let’s throw in Microsoft on the desktop just to emphasize the point 

China is in for a world of hurt.  Anyone who thinks things are going back to the they way they were is a moron.  Every company I talk to to in the US is rapidly putting plans to move mfg out of China.  It is a house of cards 

Name “one” world wide brand company China has ever produced.  

That's right, they're not idiots. When someone is willing to spend billions of dollars to develop something and give it away to use for free why would anyone with a brain develop their own? They pay so little for Windows that it's not worth their time to develop their own. Are you saying that you'd be willing?

However, back to my point, if you were somehow able to prevent them from using it and force their hand, they will build something themselves. This hurts us in the long run as they are far more capable then we are. Did you not listen when both Jobs and Cook said that we don't have the capability when asked why Apple doesn't build things here? Perhaps you should google it and learn for yourself?

Also, didn't I name TikTok in my previous post? Isn't that a worldwide product?
    edited May 2020 XedGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 64 of 91

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Are you one of those people that’s never left their little village? You do realize the the Chinese can build anything we can. In fact, they can build it better, cheaper and faster. They build an entire Manhattan every year while we’re still working around the World Trade Center 19 years after 9/11. The Chinese are laughing at our sorry asses. They are now the best builders in the world. They export their building expertise while we can’t even build simple fast rails. So, no they Don’t need us. They have more engineers of all kinds than anyone in the world. So, the only thing stupid Trump did is expedite China’s timeline to overtake Silicon Valley. They are now invested in releasing a competing OS that will overtake Android in the world. Just give them a few years. Right now, they have their own ecosystem such as WeChat that’s entirely homegrown. Your kids are crazy about TikTok which is also Chinese built. So, yea keep thinking like the ignorant Trump.
    Oh, boy. The Fifty Cent Army is really out in force today. Today’s China is in the position they’re in due to long history of IP theft. They outright ape and steal every successful brand in the world and flood markets with shabby knockoffs.
    No, just an Asian American who has spent most of his life listening to the racists talk nonsense.

Every nation has done the same. When China was the most powerful nation in the world it was your ancestors who stole from China. The compass, gunpowder, silk, pizza, noodles, and millions of other IP of their day were ripped off wholesale. Again google it. I don't hear you complaining about that?!

Consider this payback.
    edited May 2020 Xedmuthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 65 of 91
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,100member
    jcc said:
    red oak said:
    jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Right.  That is why China’s entire mobile market of 800 million smartphones runs on Android + iOS.  Last I looked, both of those were made in the US.   And, let’s throw in Microsoft on the desktop just to emphasize the point 

China is in for a world of hurt.  Anyone who thinks things are going back to the they way they were is a moron.  Every company I talk to to in the US is rapidly putting plans to move mfg out of China.  It is a house of cards 

That's right, they're not idiots. When someone is willing to spend billions of dollars to develop something and give it away to use for free why would anyone with a brain develop their own? They pay so little for Windows that it's not worth their time to develop their own. Are you saying that you'd be willing?

However, back to my point, if you were somehow able to prevent them from using it and force their hand, they will build something themselves. This hurts us in the long run as they are far more capable then we are. Did you not listen when both Jobs and Cook said that we don't have the capability when asked why Apple doesn't build things here? Perhaps you should google it and learn for yourself?

Tik Tok is a rebranded Musica.ly (US startup) they bought and then marketed heavily 

Since China bans Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google search, YouTube, Snapchat, Pinterest, Netflix, and hundreds of others, it is a matter of time until  TikTiok is banned by the US.  That is only fair, no? 

What is another Chinese WW brand you have besides “Til Tok”?

tmay
  • Reply 66 of 91
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,899member
    red oak said:
    jcc said:
    red oak said:
    jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Tik Tok is a rebranded Musica.ly (US startup) they bought and then marketed heavily 

What is another Chinese WW brand you have besides “Til Tok”?

Not sure if it is relevant but it goes beyond TiK Tok and Apple (and everybody else) purchases and rebrands all the time. 

Anyway... 

Lenovo (consumer electronics)
    Huawei (consumer electronics)
    Alibaba (e-commerce)
    Xiaomi (consumer electronics)
    Air China (airlines)
    Elex (mobile gaming)
    Anker (consumer electronics)
    Haier (home appliances)
    Hisense (home appliances)
    DJI (smart devices)
    Oppo (consumer electronics)
    Vivo (consumer electronics)
    Tencent (mobile gaming/internet services)
    Baidu (internet services)
    UnionPay (payment networks)
    Geely Auto (cars)
    JD.com (e-commerce)
    TP-Link (consumer electronics) 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 67 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Oh, boy. The Fifty Cent Army is really out in force today. Today’s China is in the position they’re in due to long history of IP theft. They outright ape and steal every successful brand in the world and flood markets with shabby knockoffs.
    No, just an Asian American who has spent most of his life listening to the racists talk nonsense.

Every nation has done the same. When China was the most powerful nation in the world it was your ancestors who stole from China. The compass, gunpowder, silk, pizza, noodles, and millions of other IP of their day were ripped off wholesale. Again google it. I don't hear you complaining about that?!

Consider this payback.

Yes, and that history lies at the heart of why they won't let Trump push them around and take advantage of them again:  They submitted to western bullying and colonization once.   They do not plan on ever letting it happen again -- even if the U.S. president thinks he's allowed to bully anybody who is not white and European.

No, I am not Asian or even Asian American.   Just an American who listens and pays attention and is not blinded by extremism, ideology or political agendas.
    edited May 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 68 of 91
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Yes, and that history lies at the heart of why they won't let Trump push them around and take advantage of them again:  They submitted to western bullying and colonization once.   They do not plan on ever letting it happen again -- even if the U.S. president thinks he's allowed to bully anybody who is not white and European.

No, I am not Asian or even Asian American.   Just an American who listens and pays attention and is not blinded by extremism, ideology or political agendas.
    Laughable.

The West thought that they could liberalize China with trade. That didn't and isn't going to happen, but worse is Xi Jiping's return to the Authoritarianism espoused by Mao.

The U.S. and the rest of the West need to disengage from China, if for no other reasons than having all or most of their egg's in China's basket. Disengagement happens with or without Trump, but even I am surprised how Western Nations are not backing down on China having to provide an independent investigation of the origins of COVID19, instead of covering it up.

https://globalvoices.org/2020/05/04/china-and-australia-brawl-over-call-for-independent-investigation-of-covid-19-origins/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-australia-curbs/australian-pm-says-no-evidence-coronavirus-originated-in-china-laboratory-urges-inquiry-idUSKBN22D41F

"Relations between Australia and China have been strained since the government began canvassing support in mid-April for an international inquiry into the outbreak. 

Beijing sees the inquiry call as part of U.S.-led propaganda against China, while Morrison says the world needs to understand exactly what happened to prevent a repeat of an outbreak that has so far killed more than 200,000 people and shut down much of the global economy."

gatorguy
  • Reply 69 of 91
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

The West thought that they could liberalize China with trade. That didn't and isn't going to happen, but worse is Xi Jiping's return to the Authoritarianism espoused by Mao.

The U.S. and the rest of the West need to disengage from China, if for no other reasons than having all or most of their egg's in China's basket. Disengagement happens with or without Trump, but even I am surprised how Western Nations are not backing down on China having to provide an independent investigation of the origins of COVID19, instead of covering it up.

https://globalvoices.org/2020/05/04/china-and-australia-brawl-over-call-for-independent-investigation-of-covid-19-origins/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-australia-curbs/australian-pm-says-no-evidence-coronavirus-originated-in-china-laboratory-urges-inquiry-idUSKBN22D41F

"Relations between Australia and China have been strained since the government began canvassing support in mid-April for an international inquiry into the outbreak. 

Beijing sees the inquiry call as part of U.S.-led propaganda against China, while Morrison says the world needs to understand exactly what happened to prevent a repeat of an outbreak that has so far killed more than 200,000 people and shut down much of the global economy."

China's not the only nation that has a leader that's more authoritarian. We have one as well. That's the problem with authoritarian leaders, they tend to rule by pushing their own flavor of b.s. China is willing to cooperate only when it is seen as helpful to the rest of the world. But Trump made the wrong move by trying to paint them as the enemy for spreading the disease purposefully. Under such b.s. why would any country be willing to cooperate? The blame game is the fastest way to shut down cooperation in any endeavor. Even a child understands this.
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 91
    XedXed Posts: 2,705member
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

China's not the only nation that has a leader that's more authoritarian. We have one as well. That's the problem with authoritarian leaders, they tend to rule by pushing their own flavor of b.s. China is willing to cooperate only when it is seen as helpful to the rest of the world. But Trump made the wrong move by trying to paint them as the enemy for spreading the disease purposefully. Under such b.s. why would any country be willing to cooperate? The blame game is the fastest way to shut down cooperation in any endeavor. Even a child understands this.
    Yep. John Oliver detailed the pitfalls of Trump killing diplomacy with the rest of the world. This was from years ago and now, of course, things are considerably worse, and that's before you consider how the handling of the pandemic.

muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 71 of 91
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

At the same time, Chinese Media and Diplomats were pushing a bullshit story of the virus planted by U.S. agents in China. 

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/chinese-officials-blame-us-army-for-coronavirus-67267

"A Chinese official who has a history of attacking the United States online has lent a voice to a conspiracy theory that blames American soldiers for bringing COVID-19 to China, though the science does not support that narrative.

According to the unfounded accusation, which reports say has been widely shared on the popular Chinese social media platform Weibo, the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 was introduced to China when 300 US military members arrived in the Wuhan region for the Military World Games in mid-October and infected the local population. None of the servicemembers who made the trip have tested positive for the virus.

The rumors seemed to begin when Chinese respiratory specialist Zhong Nanshan stated at a February press conference that “though the COVID-19 was first discovered in China, it does not mean that it originated from China,” planting the seeds of doubt.

On Thursday (March 12), Zhao Lijian, the spokesperson of China’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, took to Twitter, a social platform banned in China, to ask, “When did patient zero begin in US? How many people are infected? What are the names of the hospitals? It might be US army who brought the epidemic to Wuhan. Be transparent! Make public your data! US owe us an explanation!” 

The text of the tweet was accompanied by a video of US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield saying that some deaths assumed to have been caused by the flu were actually COVID-19, though the video does not reference specific cases or dates.

Lijian has also retweeted a link to a known conspiracy site that claims the virus may have originated at the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Ft. Detrick in Maryland, which was shut down in August after biosafety lapses with a number of pathogens. The website goes on to speculate that the virus went from Ft. Detrick to e-cigarettes to Hawaii to Wuhan. There is no evidence the pathogens in Maryland ever left the lab and there’s an equal lack of evidence supporting any of the other claims. "

So, given that many other countries don't believe that the virus was "accidentally or otherwise released from the lab in Wuhan", why is China still resisting providing the information, any information, on the origin to the rest of the world's medical communities.

I do see Trump as an authoritarian, but at the same time, the citizens of the U.S. still have the right to vote, even with the various roadblocks put up by Republicans to reduce turnout, especially in Democrat heavy counties, and states. Voters actually have choices in our elections, and can and do often vote people out of office. Chinese citizens have no voting rights.
    edited May 2020 gatorguy
  • Reply 72 of 91
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,388member
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

So, given that many other countries don't believe that the virus was "accidentally or otherwise released from the lab in Wuhan", why is China still resisting providing the information, any information, on the origin to the rest of the world's medical communities.

I do see Trump as an authoritarian, but at the same time, the citizens of the U.S. still have the right to vote, even with the various roadblocks put up by Republicans to reduce turnout, especially in Democrat heavy counties, and states. Voters actually have choices in our elections, and can and do often vote people out of office. Chinese citizens have no voting rights.
    Nicely researched TMay, but one niggling correction. The Chinese people technically DO have voting rights as long as they are official members of the communist party.  Only a very small percentage of their people are.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 73 of 91
    XedXed Posts: 2,705member
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

Nicely researched TMay, but one niggling correction. The Chinese people technically DO have voting rights as long as they are official members of the communist party.  Only a very small percentage of their people are.
    Not unlike the US and their electoral college where 538 voters. You can say they vote the will of the people for their area, but you can say the same thing about the official members of the communist party. What you can't say is that EC members are obligated to vote based on what the people have decided by majority or that the the current administration didn't actively seek Russia's help in subverting the US's free elections for their favor.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 74 of 91
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

At the same time, Chinese Media and Diplomats were pushing a bullshit story of the virus planted by U.S. agents in China. 

I do see Trump as an authoritarian, but at the same time, the citizensB of the U.S. still have the right to vote, even with the various roadblocks put up by Republicans to reduce turnout, especially in Democrat heavy counties, and states. Voters actually have choices in our elections, and can and do often vote people out of office. Chinese citizens have no voting rights.
    I fully understand the narrative China is pushing. But you should realize that this is mostly for domestic consumption since they want to maintain order in their own country and Xi’s power. They know as well as us that it’s false. The way to combats that is to just say that’s silly as if you’re telling a child that’s just told a silly lie. Not as Trump did by inventing and spreading his own. This is not grade school. 
  • Reply 75 of 91
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

Laughable
    If you're talking about Nixon's initiative, it made a friend out of an enemy who could blow us up.  
    If you're talking about industry, it's in China because they do it better, cheaper and faster than we can.

Not everybody is blinded by ideology like you are.
    edited May 2020
  • Reply 76 of 91
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

I do see Trump as an authoritarian, but at the same time, the citizensB of the U.S. still have the right to vote, even with the various roadblocks put up by Republicans to reduce turnout, especially in Democrat heavy counties, and states. Voters actually have choices in our elections, and can and do often vote people out of office. Chinese citizens have no voting rights.
    I fully understand the narrative China is pushing. But you should realize that this is mostly for domestic consumption since they want to maintain order in their own country and Xi’s power. They know as well as us that it’s false. The way to combats that is to just say that’s silly as if you’re telling a child that’s just told a silly lie. Not as Trump did by inventing and spreading his own. This is not grade school. 

Yeh, essentially it was a bullshit response to Trump's bullshit.   Kind of a 1st grade level retort ("You did it first!") -- very Un-Chinese.   But it got the point across:  Bullshit is bullshit.

But, mostly, and more importantly, it indicated that China was done being a victim and letting Trump & his thugs bully them for their own pleasure.
    Part of it is that they realize now that placating Trump only brings on more bullying.
    And part of it is they realize the rest of the world is done with Trump too:  Not only do they no longer trust the U.S. but, as the world leader in Corona Virus deaths, we showed ourselves to be incompetent leaders.
  • Reply 77 of 91
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

You are correct. I did look at voting that is open to citizens, and they are able to cast a vote for village/district leaders who are not strictly prohibited to party members, though  it is essentially limited to an approved slate by dissuasion of any others.

I should have been more explicit on what Chinese citizens do have rights they have.
  • Reply 78 of 91

jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

Trump is an anomaly in our politics, for the most part, but the West has seen a lot of populists of late, see Brexit, as an example.

Counter to that, there are a number of nations, not including the U.S., that have called out China on the origin of COVID19, without the statement or implication that it had anything to do with the lab in Wuhan. China really needs to be transparent on the origin, and not respond as it has by reacting with threats of trade sanctions; this is backfiring on China.
  • Reply 79 of 91

tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

Laughable
    If you're talking about Nixon's initiative, it made a friend out of an enemy who could blow us up.  
    If you're talking about industry, it's in China because they do it better, cheaper and faster than we can.

Not everybody is blinded by ideology like you are.
    All righty then; same as you ever were.

• Reply 80 of 91
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:
    tmay said:
    jcc said:

jcc said:
    red oak said:
    avon b7 said:
    red oak said:

Consider this payback.

Laughable.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/asia/china-world-health-assembly-investigation-intl-hnk/index.html

"Hong Kong (CNN)Russian President Vladimir Putin once called Xi Jinping, the Chinese leader, a "lone warrior." 

Putin was joking, but that description is starting to look more and more accurate. Russia has joined about 100 countries in backing a resolution at the upcoming World Health Assembly (WHA), calling for an independent inquiry into the coronavirus pandemic

The European Union-drafted resolution comes on the back of a push by Australia for an inquiry into China's initial handling of the crisis. 
    That was met with an angry response from Beijing, which accused Canberra of a "highly irresponsible" move that could "disrupt international cooperation in fighting the pandemic and goes against people's shared aspiration."
      While the resolution to be presented at the annual meeting of World Health Organization (WHO) members, which begins on Monday in Geneva, does not single out China or any other country, it calls for an "impartial, independent and comprehensive evaluation" of "the (WHO)-coordinated international health response to Covid-19." 

The wording of the resolution is weak compared to Australia's previous calls for a probe into China's role and responsibility in the origin of the pandemic. This may have been necessary to get a majority of WHO member states to sign on -- particularly those, such as Russia, with traditionally strong ties to Beijing."