Foxconn says trade war means China can no longer be 'the world's factory'

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Beats said:
    If, as he says, it's all about Trump's trade war, then that will no longer be necessary once we can return to facing our real enemy:  Russia.
    The UK said the same:   They were bowing to Trump's geopolitical pressure at the expense of their own best interests....

And as to there being "infrastructure anywhere" -- we saw how false that statement is as China quickly returned to full production while India and the U.S. are still struggling to control the virus.

Which was who's fault? CHINA!

I'm starting to think this was all strategic. Hide the virus, let everyone else get it, control it, let the other fuc*ers economy and people die.

Why are the iKnockoff users so quiet suddenly?

I say bring manufacturing back to the U.S. I'm betting all Apple leaks are coming from China.

LOL.... Yeh, that's the bullshit coming from Trump.

But, China and most other countries brought the virus under control.  Here, under Trump's so called "Leadership" we totally failed.   We lead the world in failure.  So Trump needs somebody to blame. 

• Reply 62 of 108
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:
    If, as he says, it's all about Trump's trade war, then that will no longer be necessary once we can return to facing our real enemy:  Russia.
    The UK said the same:   They were bowing to Trump's  geopolitical pressure at the expense of their own best interests....

And as to there being "infrastructure anywhere" -- we saw how false that statement is as China quickly returned to full production while India and the U.S. are still struggling to control the virus.
    Russia, Russia, Russia.... get over it dude. 

Why would I get over an enemy attacking our country -- unless I favored the dictator they were installing here?
    Dude, enough already! Take it somewhere else. Try an MSNBC or CNN forum. 

Dude, enough already!  Take it somewhere else!   Try Fauxnews!

Meanwhile, I and others will stick to reality.  Every U.S. intelligence servce as well the Republican led committee 100% agree:
    Russia attacked our 2016 election.
    Russia attacked our 2018 election
    Russia is attacking our 2020 election
    .... All to appoint their shill as our president!
  • Reply 63 of 108
    asdasd said:
    The UK said the same:   They were bowing to Trump's geopolitical pressure at the expense of their own best interests....

Russia is a glorified gas station masquerading as a country. Texas has a 5th the population and a much bigger economy. I recommend not listening to hysterical cable news political activists and instead to think for yourself. 

You're carrying water for the CPP which has *ACTUAL* concentration camps and does organ harvesting. There's no freedom of speech or thought for that matter.

The west has allowed the CPP to exploit the hardworking Chinese people so that corporations can squeeze out extra profits. 

I'm APPL long. I personally and my family have made between 1.7-2 million dollars combined in our Apple investments. Up until 5 years ago, we were ignorant and had no interest in China. Since then we've been very vocal shareholders.  I doubt Apple listened to us but there's a large group of shareholders that we're part of that has been pushing Apple to diversify its manufacturing because China (CPP controlled) is NOT the future. Apple is doing this and it's great news.

LOL   You aren't aware that Russia attacked our elections in

Really?   Seriously?   Our intelligence communities have confirmed that a number of times now.

Oh yeh, I forgot!   Trump told you to ignore Russia and blame China for everything!    Got it!   He still needs their help to keep his butt out of jail!  
    A few tweets isn’t really “attacking elections”. The US interferes in every single country by the way, Russia not least. Time magazine 1995 

http://content.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,19960715,00.html

LOL  it was FAR FAR FAR MORE than a "few tweats".....   But nice try!

Unfortunately after Trump obstructed justice and then his shill suppressed large portions of the report, we may never know the full extent of Russia's attack on our country and how much Trump colluded with them.   But, we know it was extensive and effective and we know Trump knew about it and encouraged it and supported it.
  • Reply 64 of 108

You're very gullible.

The truth is that pretty much all autocracies are inimical to our way of life.

Russia has a deep-rooted jealous antagonism because they lost the cold war and revel in past glories, and China has been fighting an undeclared war with the western world for decades.

Gullible western politicians who thought they were much smarter than they really were attempted to secure China rights and privileges and economic prosperity in hopes that a western standard of living and membership in international organizations would cause China to assimilate into the tenets of modern western society, but they failed to take into account the Chinese Communist Party and its stranglehold on the citizens of China.

As a lifelong conservative, I abhor Trump and what he's done leading to the corruption of the Republican Party and conservative movement. They used to be the party of statesmen - but now they toady to this reality TV star who constantly engages in magical thinking and ignores experts of any sort.

But - no one is right all the time and no one gets everything wrong.

The one constructive thing that Trump has done - no matter what the motivation for his actions - has been to push back against the Chinese Communist Party.

The CCP is a truly evil organization and is guilty of heinous crimes which dwarf those of the other boogymen who we actively revile. They are an organization who takes but never gives, an organization without morality or honor whose only reason for existence is their own survival. They completely control the truth in China, deny their own people aid when disaster strikes, and use their resources to influence other societies. They attempt to take control of international organizations and push their soft power throughout western media with paid propagandists. They attempt to export their own brand of Big Brother autocracy to other countries in hopes of shaping the world in their own image.

We need to divest ourselves of China and move non-Chinese consumer manufacturing out of that county.

Anyone know where the TSMC fabs are located?

I think you are the gullible one.   Trump is using China as a distraction from his collusion with his buddy Vladimir -- who helped him get elected the first time and is working hard to do so again.

And, Russia isn't bitter over losing the cold war.   But they are bitter about losing Ukraine.   The U.S. and Europe should have stayed out of that instead of fomenting insurrection in the name of "freedom and democracy".   After that, Putin took the gloves off and worked to insure that Hillary (who was part of that) never saw the inside of the White House again.  They have a friend and partner in the WHite House now and they intend to keep him there.
  • Reply 65 of 108
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:
    The UK said the same:   They were bowing to Trump's  geopolitical pressure at the expense of their own best interests....

Why would I get over an enemy attacking our country -- unless I favored the dictator they were installing here?
    I've been in this forum since 2006. Once every couple of years, along comes an agenda-driven one-note-Johnny+troll+guy-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands+too-much-anger+too-much-politics+can't-see-beyond-his-nose who regularly derails or hijacks discussions. They thrive on the fact that they drive sensible people crazy. No amount of facts or links or rational responses will change their minds. It's a complete waste of time to engage them.

The only advice I can give: just ignore them; they'll quietly slink away. Their oxygen is from your head exploding.

Ignore reality at your own peril.
  • Reply 66 of 108
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:

I've been in this forum since 2006. Once every couple of years, along comes an agenda-driven one-note-Johnny+troll+guy-with-too-much-time-on-his-hands+too-much-anger+too-much-politics+can't-see-beyond-his-nose who regularly derails or hijacks discussions. They thrive on the fact that they drive sensible people crazy. No amount of facts or links or rational responses will change their minds. It's a complete waste of time to engage them.

The only advice I can give: just ignore them; they'll quietly slink away. Their oxygen is from your head exploding.
    maybe GeorgeBMac is sog35 reincarnated...
    gatorguySpamSandwich
  • Reply 67 of 108
    GG1 said:
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:

Nah. @sog35 was definitely MASSIVELY pro-Trump.

(As an aside, the sad thing about the @GeorgeBMac's of the world is: Trump makes their heads explode so much so often that they are incapable of thinking straight anymore. Amazing to see people take the bait like this fellow does, descending slowly into an indecipherable, and apparently irreversible, rage).
    GG1tmayasdasdSpamSandwich
  • Reply 68 of 108
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    GG1 said:
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:

(As an aside, the sad thing about the @GeorgeBMac's of the world is: Trump makes their heads explode so much so often that they are incapable of thinking straight anymore. Amazing to see people take the bait like this fellow does, descending slowly into an indecipherable, and apparently irreversible, rage).
    +1

I forgot the political leanings of sog35, but his tenaciousness on certain topics (that I fail to recall) reminded me of GeorgeBMac.
  • Reply 69 of 108
    LMAO! 
  • Reply 70 of 108
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Very risky for him to plainly state this in the press. China could simply seize their operations still in China.
    He has many years dealing with Chinese government. He knows Chinese government much better than you being brain washed by western propaganda  war against Chinese government. 
    GeorgeBMacasdasd
  • Reply 71 of 108
    tzeshan said:
    Very risky for him to plainly state this in the press. China could simply seize their operations still in China.
    He has many years dealing with Chinese government. He knows Chinese government much better than you being brain washed by western propaganda  war against Chinese government. 
    To be fair, you don't have to "know the Chinese government" to see what it does in the world; and then extrapolate from that. Like how the CCP right now is attacking anything that inconveniences them in Hong Kong (especially media); and how they've kidnapped foreign citizens from other countries (Gui Minhai; Swedish citizen, kidnapped from Thailand). 光復香港,時代革命.
    tmaydonjuan
  • Reply 72 of 108
    GG1 said:
    GG1 said:
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:

+1

I forgot the political leanings of sog35, but his tenaciousness on certain topics (that I fail to recall) reminded me of GeorgeBMac.
    Sog35 was known for 2 things - Troll (absolutely troll) any new members to the forum who post messages critical of Apple. That was tolerable to some extent because most of whom he was dealing with were Trolls anyway. The absolutely irritating/intolerable part was - "Fire Tim Cook NOW" posts from him whenever Apple share price went down.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    I wish the discussion was open for the story of Kanye blaming the iPhone clock for missing adding his name to the ballot, rather than this story. That would have been infinitely more entertaining.
    GeorgeBMacSpamSandwichGG1
  • Reply 74 of 108
    GG1 said:
    Japhey said:
    hexclock said:

LOL.... No, it's that Trump makes your head explode when I expose the lies he's filled it with.  You really need to broaden your sources of information to more than right wing propaganda.
  • Reply 75 of 108
    svanstrom said:
    tzeshan said:
    To be fair, you don't have to "know the Chinese government" to see what it does in the world; and then extrapolate from that. Like how the CCP right now is attacking anything that inconveniences them in Hong Kong (especially media); and how they've kidnapped foreign citizens from other countries (Gui Minhai; Swedish citizen, kidnapped from Thailand). 光復香港,時代革命.

Like how we gas peaceful protestors, send Gestapo troops into Democratic cities, ripping kids from their parents & sticking them in cages?  That kind of "attacking"?   Or, our CIA's secret renditions or Meng kidnapped on her way into another country?  That kind of kidnapping?   Oh wait!  Never mind.  I forgot you're a China hater.   Your leader needs to distract you from what is going on in your own country.
    edited August 2020
  • Reply 76 of 108
    john_tjohn_t Posts: 12member
    asdasd said:

john_t said:
    99% of what comes out of China is cheap crap that breaks within half a year. It would be a shock, but it’s better for all of us to start producing again in our own countries. We’ve let China get away with blatant human rights violations long enough. They’re bullying the entire planet, and they’ve been expanding both militarily and economically. It’s time this stops. 
    Thats not true at all, they clearly have the most advanced manufacturing in the world. Tim Cook has pretty much said that. 
    At the same time, Cook has been moving manufacturing to India. I‘m sure China is efficient - but other companies (like Samsung, for example) have moved their entire mobile phone production out of China already and the quality of their products certainly hasn‘t suffered. China, however, is really not innovative. A clear example for this is Huawei. They were only able to produce high-tech phones because they used foreign SoCs. While the US, Korea etc. are able to produce 4 nm chips (and are closing in on 3 nm now), China isn‘t able to manufacture anything below 25nm at this point- which means they‘re about 10 years behind other developed nations. That‘s the main reason why they‘re trying to poach foreign engineers at the moment - as they won‘t have access to 4nm tech due to trade restrictions, they‘re desperately trying to replicate.

So in this respect, I‘m pretty sure Tim Cook just said that because he wants to be on good standings with the Chinese government. 
  • Reply 77 of 108
    svanstrom said:
    tzeshan said:

Like how we gas peaceful protestors, send Gestapo troops into Democratic cities, ripping kids from their parents & sticking them in cages?  That kind of "attacking"?   Or, our CIA's secret renditions or Meng kidnapped on her way into another country?  That kind of kidnapping?   Oh wait!  Never mind.  I forgot you're a China hater.   Your leader needs to distract you from what is going on in your own country.
    Nah, more like China‘s sticking over a million Uigurs into concentration camps and systematically murdering them. Or invading Tibet, killing half the population and then start settling millions of mainland Chinese there. Or ignoring treaties they signed, integrating Hong Kong into their communist dictatorship, killing anyone who opposes them. 

I get where you‘re coming from - things are really crappy in the US right now but compared to China, the US is a peaceful, provincial place. 

You‘ll change your mind once China has occupied Taiwan, uses its military stationed in South American countries to cause trouble in that region, has occupied the islands surrounding Japan, has started an all-out war with India etc. Right now, they‘re quietly and efficiently putting themselves into the strategic position to attack anywhere on the planet.
    edited August 2020 svanstrom
  • Reply 78 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    svanstrom said:
    asdasd said:
    elijahg said:

Russia is a glorified gas station masquerading as a country. Texas has a 5th the population and a much bigger economy. I recommend not listening to hysterical cable news political activists and instead to think for yourself. 

You're carrying water for the CPP which has *ACTUAL* concentration camps and does organ harvesting. There's no freedom of speech or thought for that matter.

The west has allowed the CPP to exploit the hardworking Chinese people so that corporations can squeeze out extra profits. 

I'm APPL long. I personally and my family have made between 1.7-2 million dollars combined in our Apple investments. Up until 5 years ago, we were ignorant and had no interest in China. Since then we've been very vocal shareholders.  I doubt Apple listened to us but there's a large group of shareholders that we're part of that has been pushing Apple to diversify its manufacturing because China (CPP controlled) is NOT the future. Apple is doing this and it's great news.
    There are several people here who defend China to the ends of the Earth for some inexplicable reason, I can only reason that they are Chinese shills. The CCP is an abusive, threatening, vile regime. The Chinese economy exists purely to serve the Xi and the CCP. The sooner manufacturing leaves China the better, from economic to ecological and political to human rights reasons. I will happily pay 10-25% more for products made outside of China.
    The CCP has made its average working population much richer than they were 20 years ago, 
    Yeah, you just had to be among those getting rich to benefit from that, and not among the other parts of the people; like those getting driven away from their land (or cities), or sent to "reeducation" camps…
    I’m talking about the average Chen. 
  • Reply 79 of 108
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    svanstrom said:
    tzeshan said:

You are half right. The leader is distracting people re China and the deep state re Russia. 

That’s how they get their wars. 
  • Reply 80 of 108
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    blastdoor said:

Foxconn is a Taiwanese company.  I'm surprised an executive there would speak this frankly about their business in the PRC.  He must be confident in what he says, because if China does remain "the factory of the world" Foxconn's access to that factory could be threatened.
    Yeah... I also worry about TSMC. 

The Taiwan Straits are just a little over 100 miles wide. Taiwan spends about $10 billion a year on its military, China spent about $200 billion a year. 

I've read Taiwan thinks maybe they could hold out for a month if they were invaded. That might be optimistic. But even if accurate, it implicitly assumes somebody might try to rescue them. Who would that be? At this point I don't think the US alone could repel China from Taiwan. I think we'd need a lot of help, certainly from the Japanese. Would we do it? I don't know... I'd put it at 50-50. It would be a very major effort, like nothing we've done since WW2. 

Trump is the only one who doesn't recognize Taiwan is part of China.
    We would get no help.   And China would kick our butts.  If nothing else (and there would be something else) all they have to do is sink our boats and there's nothing easier to sink than an aircraft carrier.   You can't hardly miss!
    18 countries (last I knew) recognize the Republic of China, aka Taiwan, as an independent country. I don't believe the US is one of them, though dozens of counties do maintain diplomatic ties to the RoC anyway.
    muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaram