Apple debuts $549 AirPods Max over-ear headphones

Comments

• Reply 41 of 250
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,971member
    Not for me at that price and the case looks atrocious IMO and is impractical. I can't think of a worse use for the headband than a carry handle. The fabric is going to pick up sweat and germs on top of everything that might already be in someone's hair. I'd much rather have the entire headset completely protected. The design of the headset looks fine though. 

I asked my wife if she wanted new headphones this year but she's more than happy with her range of Sennheisers. 

I have the Freebuds Studio at more than half the price and, for what I listen too with my old ears, doesn't require any kind of  in-ear OTT computational trickery for the sound at least. 

As for build quality and comfort there are plenty of extremely good and comfortable options out there at much cheaper pricing. 

Clearly this is going to be a niche market but there is no reason it can't find its place. The more options the better, after all. 

muthuk_vanalingamdavgreg
  • Reply 42 of 250
    Can I replace the battery or are we expected to throw them away like AirPods?  Or is there an expensive battery replacement fee?   My noise canceling headset has a AAA battery that can be easily swapped.  
    williamlondonphilboogiedavgreg
  • Reply 43 of 250
    Can I replace the battery or are we expected to throw them away like AirPods?  Or is there an expensive battery replacement fee?   My noise canceling headset has a AAA battery that can be easily swapped.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 44 of 250
    GabyGaby Posts: 194member
    tipoo said:
    What do you guys think of that digital crown placement? It looks a bit off to me and seems like it's in a fiddly spot, have to reach to the top of your ear to adjust. I wonder if that was a downgrade from the sensors they were rumored to not have working in time? 
    What would have been a much nicer idea in my opinion would be bringing back the iPod capacitive scroll wheel for volume track and calls etc. Simple elegant and a bit of nostalgia. 
    svanstrom
  • Reply 45 of 250
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    sdw2001 said:
    No mic? I can't use it to talk with my iPhone? The fact that it has active noise cancellation proves it has some sort of mic in it, but not one I can speak into?

It's labelled with L and R for the Left and Right sides. How are they going to market that in countries where English isn't known or spoken widely?
    Dude, please try reading the article. It has multiple mics.  And I'm pretty sure people can figure out what L and R mean.  🙄
    Dude, it's illegal to sell products in some countries that are English Only, regardless of whether they can figure it out.
    Links vs. Recht 

L/R is “English only” for the unenlightened only. 
    randominternetpersonpmhRayz2016ronntokyojimusvanstromwelshdogkiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 250
    Will buy the AirPod in the next generation after all the bugs are worked out!  $549.00 is quite high price, approaching studio quality headphones prices!  Of course, they only used wired headphones!
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 47 of 250
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,676member
    crowley said:
    The Smart Case looks... unusual.
    Yes indeed. It's like a Wonder Bra for your headphones.
    zeus423Gabywatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 250
    If they price a set of over the ear headphones like this, I suspect Apple Glasses will be in the $2K-$3K range to start.
    razorpit
  • Reply 49 of 250
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
     Lightning connector - why???

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their 
    house on the streets or for jogging.

I was waiting for Apple to release this headphones.
    But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
  • Reply 50 of 250
    Ok, I'm going to admit that I was 100% wrong about this.  I thought there was zero chance that Apple would announce a consumer product at this point in the "holiday shopping season" (the week after "Cyber Week") without having given people a heads up that this is coming.  My new theory is that this product will be supply constrained so they will have no trouble selling out even without the Black Friday blitz.
    SpamSandwichanantksundaramronnphilboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 250
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    The auto-sensing left-right feature didn’t make it, but the price did.
    dewmeright_said_fredchemengin1philboogieentropyssvanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 250
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 262member
    Gee, I'll take 2 at that price.
    AI_lias
  • Reply 53 of 250
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,826member
    $549??? Cook has lost it.
    chemengin1AI_liasdavgreg
  • Reply 54 of 250
    urahara said:

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their house on the streets or for jogging.

But because of the lightning connector and price difference I would go with Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700.
    Why?  Because a certain product that every buyer of this product is guaranteed to have uses the lightning connector.  
    mike1pmhRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 250
    My pet peeve about this site: AI never (or rarely) provides a clear, obvious link to the actual, official product page.  For example, the first sentence says "Apple has released the AirPod Max" but neither "Apple" nor "AirPods Max" link to https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/ ;  Annoyingly the only link is to another AI article that also doesn't link to Apple's site.  Even the pricing matrix on that page (which provides links to half a dozen retail sites) doesn't link to the Apple store.

It's 2020, we shouldn't have to manually open a new tab and type in apple.com.
    foregoneconclusionSpamSandwichmike1pmhGG1chemengin1ronntokyojimuphilboogiesvanstrom
  • Reply 56 of 250
    Some sites are making a big deal out of the overall weight of these, but to me the biggest issue with over the ear headphones is the amount of pressure on the sides of your head from the cups. It seems as if Apple may have found a way to reduce that pressure (judging by the marketing material), but it will be interesting to see what reviewers say.
    edited December 2020 ronnwelshdogthtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 250
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,971member
    My pet peeve about this site: AI never (or rarely) provides a clear, obvious link to the actual, official product page.  For example, the first sentence says "Apple has released the AirPod Max" but neither "Apple" nor "AirPods Max" link to https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/ ;  Annoyingly the only link is to another AI article that also doesn't link to Apple's site.  Even the pricing matrix on that page (which provides links to half a dozen retail sites) doesn't link to the Apple store.

It's 2020, we shouldn't have to manually open a new tab and type in apple.com.
    I’ve noticed that as well, and not just on AI. A number of sites seem to have forgotten how to link to what they’re talking about. It’s annoying, especially if it isn’t a big name (Apple) brand. 

Second peeve is when they do link but only to the Amazon page, not the manufacturer. Seriously there’a almost always multiple channels for things.
    randominternetpersonronnphilboogieanantksundaramJapheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 250
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    urahara said:

I would argue that a person who would buy such headphones would more likely to have a MacBook Air/Pro and/or iPad with USB-C than not to have such devices (thus have the charger and cable for it). And the use case would be to use this headphones primarily at home or while traveling.  And more likely to use AirPods (Pro) just outside their 
    house on the streets or for jogging.

You explain why Lightning was understandable, and then used it as a reason not to buy them?

SpamSandwichchemengin1razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 250
    Looking over the description page at Apple.com, I looked closer at the volume knob and must wonder out loud what in the world were they thinking when they decided to put that closer to the BACK than the FRONT on top of the headphones? 

The volume knob will be THE MOST USED function of these headphones. And if a person is lying down on a pillow, as shown in their video/ad, the odds that the volume knob will be accidentally moved or triggered have increased hugely. And the physically awkward placement will also make it more difficult to reach in those cases when something very loud suddenly blasts over the headphones.

This is one of those slap yourself on the forehead moments. Form should never override function on something like headphones. 
    edited December 2020 muthuk_vanalingamrazorpit
  • Reply 60 of 250
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    I can't wait for people to complain that Apple didn't use user-upgradable memory foam.
    ronnanantksundaramTRAGwatto_cobra