Apple unveils 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, M1 Max starting at $2499

Comments

• Reply 41 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    crowley said:
    The pricing of the 14 and 16 models are surprisingl
    Me too - which is why I didn't even look at the 14" - just sucked it up and went for the 16".  Now I'm even happier with that decision. 
    JSR_FDEDkurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    auxio said:
    Very nice!  I'm so tempted to pull the trigger on a similar machine...
    Don't wait too long or you won't get it until next year.  I just refreshed and now shipping dates for that config are Dec 10 - Dec 23rd (!)
    JSR_FDEDfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 153
    I was hoping for an iMac, but not expecting it. Looks like I'll have to wait until spring, no big deal. I hope that with the wait we at least get a couple cool color options, like a deep purple or maroon like color. The M Pro and Max chips look pretty incredible, can't wait to see them in an iMac! 

BTW, I was watching the presentation with my AirPod pros and the spacial audio effect they were using was very cool!
    edited October 2021 JSR_FDEDdocno42williamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 153
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    melgross said:
    Ok, so. I ordered as soon as the store went live.

16” M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB drive. Arrives between Nov 3rd (day after my birthday), and Nov 6th. Pretty good!
    Same model for me.  Not as quick off the mark though, it'll be December before I get mine :(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 153
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Solid Macbook Pros. 16.2" MBP is totally blew everyone and 14.2" is same except price. Wish it was $1499. Other than that if anyone complains than he/she is inherently complainer and ignore as troll.

edited October 2021 JSR_FDEDwilliamlondonAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 153
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    netrox said:
    It's actually a big let down in terms of laptop design. Why are we bringing back HDMI when USB4 provides the same technology? I am ok with the SD slot but not ok with Magsafe and the HDMI port. 
    So if someone walks past you and yanks out the power cord and your MacBook Pro with M1 Pro Max costing you $4,264.66 flys to the ground, you're okay with that? I welcome the return of Magsafe all the way, 1000%!
    JSR_FDED80s_Apple_Guydocno42muthuk_vanalingamGG1kurai_kagejas99aderutterargonautwelshdog
  • Reply 47 of 153
    Tuubor said:
    Holy crap these first commenters are negative! 😆😆 Did you guys even watch what they just announced?! These laptops whipe the floor with every notebook ever made.
    Agreed - overly negative which is a pity. In my view this should be a solid home run product. As with all products there are always some compromises or features not appealing to all potential buyers - but looks to be excellent overall to me. I quickly just placed my order for 16" w 64GB mem., and 4 TB SSD - space gray - I can imagine the shipping times will quickly climb so wanted to get my order in quick in these supply chain constrained times we live in...... Should be awesome. As an aside market seems neutral to favorable to the announcement I notice for AAPL..... just as I place the order around 2:30pm EST
    Tuuborzoetmbfastasleepwilliamlondonjas99Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 153
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    MacPro said:
    docno42 said:
    Not thrilled about the notch; everything else looks like a solid home run. 

Only question - will this be a one kidney day, or two?
    I thought the way Apple's video explained it, 'we added more screen either side" as opposed to how some see this, 'we took away some screen area' would put an end to these comments.  But no. /sigh
    Agreed.  The menu appears to the left off the notch.  And if there was no notch it would be bezel like it's been previously.  So it's much ado about nothing.   My only concern is what happens when the menu is wide (long).  Does it wrap around the notch.   Other than that, much ado about nothing.  IMO, just people who like to complain and get hysterical over nothing.  

fastasleepjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 153
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    netrox said:
    It's actually a big let down in terms of laptop design. Why are we bringing back HDMI when USB4 provides the same technology? I am ok with the SD slot but not ok with Magsafe and the HDMI port. They add more ugliness and waste to the laptop. They even said you can charge with USB-C so what's the point of MagSafe? I am glad they got rid of Touch Bar and the keyboard looks more functional and more comfortable. 

A notch looks bad which is disappointing as it should be less obvious and seamlessly integrated into the menu bar but it totally "stands out" - but we will get used to it quickly.  

Performance-wise, it sounds impressive though. 

Honestly, Apple should just stick to USB4 and the SD slot and that's it. That way, TV and monitors will be forced to use USB4. And force people to move to USB4.  Hopefully, in a couple of generations, Apple will get rid of all those ports. 

Why bring back HDMI? Because it's actually far more useful than USB C. take your laptop to a conference room and tell me how you plan to hook it up. Oh, and what does the Mac Mini have? HDMI. Ditto with MagSafe - What's the one port that every laptop uses? a charging port. MagSafe is simpler and easier to use than USB C.

MplsP said:
    docno42 said:
    Not thrilled about the notch; everything else looks like a solid home run. 

Only question - will this be a one kidney day, or two?
    Agreed - in daily use it won't matter that much, but if you're doing anything that requires a full screen it will definitely be noticeable. The sad thing is the notch is unnecessary.
    If it wasn’t the notch then people would be complaining about bezels. There’s always something. 
    Maybe, not me, though. Although it's not the end of the world. The thing is, adding ¼" to the top of the screen also adds it to the case which essentially adds ¼" more battery which no one would complain about.

Overall I'm excited - this looks like an awesome machine. Christmas is going to be fun this year! 😀 
    JSR_FDEDwilliamlondonpatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 153
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Yeah, if anyone complains they should be tagged.  Tagged and Bagged!

Nov 7-10 around 11:11 AM, for 16-1TB-32GB-Gray
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 153
    docno42 said:
    auxio said:
    Don't wait too long or you won't get it until next year.  I just refreshed and now shipping dates for that config are Dec 10 - Dec 23rd (!)
    Yes - wouldn't wait too long. I noticed when I placed my order, the eCommerce site seemed to be a bit laggy - bogged down no doubt because of all the traffic perhaps?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 153
    docno42 said:

omasou said:
    The screen is bigger so the notch is not taking away from he screen. If anything it's part of the menu bar
    How do you figure?  For full screen content it's going to be there.  Indeed it was pretty prominent in the full screen shots they had during the show.   The screen is wider than 16:9 so that notch is going to be there when you play full screen video.  It's a baffling decision to me for a company so otherwise focused on aesthetics.  Even the notch on the iPhone doesn't interfere with full screen video in landscape mode. 
    Oh well, guess I'll find out pretty quick just how much of a distraction it is. 
    16:9, 1.85:1 and 2.4:1 aspect ratio content is not full screen, so it won't matter.   And even if it did, it looked to me that when they played a video, the top of the video was below the notch.   I would agree that if there was image to the left and right of the notch, that would be annoying, but I don't think that's going to be the case.   I think the only thing to the side of it is going to be menu bar.  

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 153
    Loses a multifunction i/o port in favor of a whole series of single user legacy ports. back to trying to remember if F3 is “clear cache” or “split window” or ”run some automator function.” old colors. 

sigh. i’ll buy one but this will not go down in history as one of my favorite laptops. 
    williamlondonfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 153
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    docno42 said:
    auxio said:
    I don't really need one as I have a decent work laptop right now.  This would be for personal use, and a fair bit of the software I use for my hobbies hasn't even been ported to Apple Silicon yet (e.g. Ableton Live), so I'm ok to wait.

EDIT: And then I check the Ableton website and see that ASi support is finally in beta
    edited October 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    docno42 said:
    melgross said:
    Ok, so. I ordered as soon as the store went live.

16” M1 Max, 64GB RAM, 2TB drive. Arrives between Nov 3rd (day after my birthday), and Nov 6th. Pretty good!
    So you are the one I was competing with :tongue: 

If I could have been a bit quicker the original date was October 26th.  D'oh!
    I might have gotten an earlier date, because I started to order through the store in Apple’s site, but the bar didn’t move at some point, so I switched to the store App, where I had bought the phones and my watch through, so the process started again. The dates are actually between Nov 3rd and the 5th, not the 6th. That was a typo.
    docno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 153
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Wondering what their chip design will be for the Apple Silicon Mac Pro? Maybe another M series but with specific features that allow discrete (multiple) graphics cards and a lot more cores. And will that Mac Pro be this year or next year?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 153
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    JSR_FDED said:
    docno42 said:
    auxio said:
    Yes - wouldn't wait too long. I noticed when I placed my order, the eCommerce site seemed to be a bit laggy - bogged down no doubt because of all the traffic perhaps?
    The site failed on me twice before the order went through.  16'/32gb m1max version. November 3-5 delivery. Traded it my old intel 16" 2 month ago and got $2k for it, so I'll only have to pay around $2K for it. Not too shabby.  Hopefully I'll get used to the notch. Ugh.
    JSR_FDEDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netrox said:
    It's actually a big let down in terms of laptop design. Why are we bringing back HDMI when USB4 provides the same technology? I am ok with the SD slot but not ok with Magsafe and the HDMI port. They add more ugliness and waste to the laptop. They even said you can charge with USB-C so what's the point of MagSafe? I am glad they got rid of Touch Bar and the keyboard looks more functional and more comfortable. 

A notch looks bad which is disappointing as it should be less obvious and seamlessly integrated into the menu bar but it totally "stands out" - but we will get used to it quickly.  

Performance-wise, it sounds impressive though. 

Honestly, Apple should just stick to USB4 and the SD slot and that's it. That way, TV and monitors will be forced to use USB4. And force people to move to USB4.  Hopefully, in a couple of generations, Apple will get rid of all those ports. 

Complain, complain. Nothing is perfect for everyone. It’s interesting though, that your complaints (other than the notch) are about what most people wanted back. So you seem out of sync.
    docno42muthuk_vanalingamrezwitsMplsPelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 153
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    "Why bring back HDMI? Because it's actually far more useful than USB C. take your laptop to a conference room and tell me how you plan to hook it up. Oh, and what does the Mac Mini have? HDMI. Ditto with MagSafe - What's the one port that every laptop uses? a charging port. MagSafe is simpler and easier to use than USB C"

Adaptor 
    exists for that purpose. I carry USB-C hub which serves for many devices. No professionals carry laptops without a bag for power and adaptors.  

williamlondonfastasleepchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 153
    When I watched the beginning of the overall presentation, it got me pissed off.   Maybe I'm just too old (I was around for the original Mac and the Apple ]['s before it), but I thought the music sucked; I'm not interested in Apple's earbuds because they don't fit my ears, I don't want Bluetooth in my head, I'm not buying earbuds that you throw away when the batteries can't be charged anymore and Apple's examples of playlists that you ask Siri for played music I would never want to hear.   And I don't believe one can really do immersive audio in two channels, although that nonsense may be more in Dolby's corner than Apple's.   

Then I got more pissed when I saw the HomePod Mini because I thought, "Apple's innovation is three more colors?    They've completely run out of ideas."

But then they brought out the new MBP's and I was completely blown away by how great they seem.    In spite of some rumors about an M2 processor, I really thought it would be the M1 (and there's nothing wrong with the M1) plus some slight enhancements.   But IMO, they've made major and incredible enhancements across the board and considering how Mac is now a tiny fraction of Apple's revenues, I was quite impressed with the effort.   Personally, while I would have liked to have seen a CFExpress slot instead of an SD slot, SD is still more universal, although it might not be five years down the road.     I would also have been happier to have seen lower prices on storage upgrades, but it is what it is.  (I just bought a 2TB Sandisk external SSD for $300).   

It will be interesting to see how the press reacts to these new machines and whether they recognize what strides Apple has made.  
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamAlex_Vwatto_cobra