Apple unveils 16-inch MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, M1 Max starting at $2499

Comments

• Reply 101 of 153
    This should of been the design of the Late-2016 MBP. 
    williamlondonMrBunsideavon b7MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 153
    docno42 said:
    Welp it's only a kidney and a half day.  16" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, 64GB of RAM and 2TB of disk for $4,299.  Delivers November 3rd-ish.  Expected delivery was October 26th when I first started look - the dates zoomed up quickly!
    I guess you meant M1 Max. M1 Pro supports only max 32GB of RAM, isn't it?
    melgross
  • Reply 103 of 153
    No new iMac.
    No new Mac Mini.
    So disappointing.
    We re desktop people.
    lol oh jeeze. iMac and Mini already got M1 upgrades last time. MBP line is being completed since the low end was the first a year ago. Larger iMac likely next next. 
    Nobody seem to notice that 4x the 5600M GPU makes the M1 as fast as the highest GPU in the MacPro, while consuming 50% power. 168,783 is the highest Metal benchmark on GeekBench and 4x the 5600M is 170,000. That's insane. It's probably no sustained due tot he thermals but, it might be due to the unified memory.

The M1, M1 Pro and M1 Max pretty much cover everything up to but not including the MacPro. Whatever is going into the MacPro will be insane. M1 Extreme?

docno42williamlondonargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 153
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Paradroid said:
    Oh I have ideas. But if I share them with you, you'll then have a perfect straw man opportunity to disagree with my ideas on design direction. No thanks.
    lol - more unlimited unkown.  Love it.
    williamlondonelijahgasdasdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 153
    docno42 said:
    Welp it's only a kidney and a half day.  16" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro, 64GB of RAM and 2TB of disk for $4,299.  Delivers November 3rd-ish.  Expected delivery was October 26th when I first started look - the dates zoomed up quickly!
    I guess you meant M1 Max. M1 Pro supports only max 32GB of RAM, isn't it?
    Yes, the M1 Max.  I though the main difference between the M1 Pro and M1 Max was just the GPUs.  If it was also RAM then I feel a bit less guilty for splurging for the M1 Pro since 64GB of RAM was a hard requirement for me.

EDIT: Just looked at the tech specs more closely - yup, you are right.  For 64GB you have to get the M1 Max.  Glad I didn't try the M1 Pro and then into some loop of confusion as to why I couldn't pick 64GB of RAM - it was bad enough slipping from October to early November in the time it took me to make my choices and check out!
    edited October 2021 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 153
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,370member
    Very nice to see Apple stuck with the same basic chassis and didn't try to do anything goofy like Microsoft's latest machines. I knew Apple would catch some grief if they did a notch. But they did it anyway, which means they must feel confident that users will see that the benefits far outweigh the detriments. I cannot imagine too many folks who will see the notch as a purchase inhibitor. It'll be like the notch on the iPhone, a source of derision from people who largely don't even buy iPhones, and for iPhone buyers it's usually a "What notch?" after using the thing for a couple of days.

Very nice to see HDMI and 3.5 mm audio. Omitting them is a false economy for a machine that has more than ample port real estate. One could argue that having three TB4 ports is a bit of overkill because of the impressive bandwidth of TB4 and not having to dedicate one of those ports to charging power. I've never been opposed to docking solutions because they are usually tidier than the Medusa look of all those wires hanging off of the machine itself. The good news is with three fat-pipe ports and HDMI to boot you don't have to use a dock if you don't want to and maybe you'll stuff all those other ports with something new and different.

Can't wait to see the benchmarks on these puppies.
    edited October 2021 StrangeDaysMplsPbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 153
    I thought that creating their own silicon would improve product performance AND drive prices down. At least, the M1 was touted as costing much less than the intel chips previously powering macs. I had expected cheaper prices.
    williamlondonelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 108 of 153

docno42 said:

omasou said:
    The screen is bigger so the notch is not taking away from he screen. If anything it's part of the menu bar
    How do you figure?  For full screen content it's going to be there.  Indeed it was pretty prominent in the full screen shots they had during the show.   The screen is wider than 16:9 so that notch is going to be there when you play full screen video.  It's a baffling decision to me for a company so otherwise focused on aesthetics.  Even the notch on the iPhone doesn't interfere with full screen video in landscape mode. 
    Oh well, guess I'll find out pretty quick just how much of a distraction it is. 
    It’s a 16/10.3 aspect ratio, notch will not be visible with 16/9 full screen video. And you can just make the top bar black background, then the notch will be gone completely. 
    linkmanmelgrosswatto_cobra
  • Reply 109 of 153
    docno42 said:
    Not thrilled about the notch; everything else looks like a solid home run. 

Only question - will this be a one kidney day, or two?
    Maxed out 16" model is cheaper than the previous maxed out 16".  SSD upgrades appear to be the same price.  As far as I can remember, RAM is same or similar.  Looks like only one kidney. ;)
    williamlondondocno42watto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 153
    elijahg said:
    Glad the ports many here declared "legacy" are back. Are they still "legacy" now?
    Yes, I’d rather have an extra Thunderbolt port instead of a HDMI & an SD Card slot.
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 153
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    docno42 said:
    auxio said:
    For audio apps, a lot of the problem is with old plugins (VSTs and similar) which aren't being maintained anymore, so they need to figure out a way to host them via emulation while the main app is native.  I also have a couple of old audio devices which don't have updated drivers, so I'd need to find replacements for those.

People were also having USB/Audio interface issues.  Hopefully that's just driver stability and not some inherent flaw in the hardware.  Are the T2 Intel Macbook Pros still having interface issues?  I haven't paid much attention lately as I don't do much with audio these days. 
    The MBP I've been working with is a 2015 model, which hasn't had any problems with USB audio as far as I've seen.  But yeah, I've experienced some issues on the M1 with USB in general (3rd party wireless mice just stop working, etc).  I'll have to test out some newer USB audio devices and see how well they work.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 112 of 153
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,572member
    I love the full size function keys, but I still hate all laptops that have half size arrow keys.
    StrangeDaysdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 113 of 153
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    netrox said:
    I just know that if Steve Jobs was alive now, he would be appalled by the new laptops. He would never allow that to happen. He would definitely demand that only USB4 be used and nothing else to be more consistent with simplicity. 

You know nothing about what Jobs would think.
    elijahgdocno42baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 114 of 153
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    netrox said:
    I just know that if Steve Jobs was alive now, he would be appalled by the new laptops. He would never allow that to happen. He would definitely demand that only USB4 be used and nothing else to be more consistent with simplicity. 
    I don't know what you think this says or proves.  Steve wasn't right about everything, and in many things there is no "right" answer, there is just a range of opinions and requirements.

I don't want my laptop to be "consistent with simplicity", I want it to do the stuff I want it to do.
    elijahgGG1docno42muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 115 of 153
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    This should of been the design of the Late-2016 MBP. 
    My thoughts exactly. 

These machines look much better from what I'm reading here (I've been dining out all night and this is the first news I've seen so far).

Prices make them a no go for me but there are definitely things to like.

As is usual, over the coming days we'll get to know about what wasn't said and the dirty details that were held back but, out of the blocks, there's a lot to like. Well, unless you're one of those 'legacy' loonies! ;-) 
  • Reply 116 of 153
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    docno42 said:
    anome said:
    Magsafe power you can make an argument for, but my desktop setup is kind of reliant on my power being on the other side, so I either forego one of my only 3 TB ports, or have my power stretching across my desk and bending at an odd angle.

Pretty sure TB ports support power and data at the same time.  You want everyone else to get a dongle for HDMI, just get a dock for your machine to only need one cable.

Seems like a small sacrifice you were willing to force everyone else to make  :p
    Yes - you can use either the USB C ports or the MagSafe port for power. Win - win 

docno42 said:
    fastasleep said:
    I have never needed or plan to need HDMI.
    How nice for you - you can just ignore it and the machine still functions.
    However for those that need it, if it's not there they have to resort to idiotic solutions like dongles. 
    Yes, dongles are a much saner solution - especially for a pro machine.
    Good god the amount of fuss by the anti port people is beyond ridiculous.  If you don't like the ports then stick with the original M1 MacBook Pro.   Have at it.  Better to have a port and not need it, then need it and not have it.
    Using a regular USBC-HDMI cable is not a dongle. It’s just using a cable, as we have used various IO cables for decades. 
    You can call it whatever you want - the bottom line is it’s an extra piece you need to bring with you. Every conference room in the country has an HDMI cable. How many have a USB C - HDMI? None. Even finding one to buy isn’t easy. 
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamasdasdwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 117 of 153
    aderutter said:
    elijahg said:
    Glad the ports many here declared "legacy" are back. Are they still "legacy" now?
    Yes, I’d rather have an extra Thunderbolt port instead of a HDMI & an SD Card slot.
    and many more people would rather not. 

The number of people who need 4 TB ports is exceedingly rare, particularly for a laptop. 
    docno42muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 118 of 153
    Reading here and on other sites it appears that the display is actually 16:9 plus extra at the top for the menu bar. that means that Apple actually essentially did add extra screen to extend it up around the camera and a ‘full screen’ view can omit the strip at the top without compromising anything. That really eliminates my only complaint about the notch. 

For people complaining about the form factor, just what do you want from a laptop? 

I wish they would’ve included FaceID, but that’s not a huge deal. I can’t understand the complaints, either. These are stellar machines. It really seems like Apple hit a grand slam with them. 
    GG1crowleydewmemuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 119 of 153
    The notch has been there all along, you just couldn’t see it until they added screen to the blacked out bezel around it. 😉
    Detnatorwatto_cobrastompy
  • Reply 120 of 153
    Mondain said:
    I had expected cheaper prices.
    Blistering fast SSD and Memory.  Performance per watt and Battery life the competition can't touch at ANY price.  A display the competition can't touch.

Not to mention an OS the competition can't provide either.

Frankly I'm shocked these didn't cost more.
    Detnatorwilliamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra