Jack Dorsey steps down as Twitter CEO, Parag Agrawal named as new head

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I am touched. Wait a moment.I have never been on Twitter and left Facebook one year ago. Maybe changes to Meta and Dorsey leaving Twitter were result of that  :D
    I quit both earlier this year.  Both are evil companies.  I don't suspect this will improve Twitter at all.  At Least Hipster Rasputin won't have his mug everywhere.  
    Apple is not exactly a saint either. Maybe not ‘evil’ per se but tiptoeing around it sometimes.
    WTF does Apple have to do with any of this?  They don't have a social media presence!
    He’s not wrong though, as Apple sometimes treads in murky waters, especially in regard to China. 
    In regard to Twitter, nothing will change about that company. Unfortunately he is still on at Square. 
    Did Apple experience China haters' accusations in China? None! Nada! This is unlike what Twitter experienced in US. 
    People in China are either not allowed to know what is going on, or afraid to speak of it if they do. 

Or perhaps they don't have professional propagandists spreading conspiracy theories.
    This is correct answer. Unlike western countries people can spread any false information under protection of free speech, Chinese cannot spread false information. Anyone doing that will be dealt seriously. Think about it. Before the internet age, people can send opinion to newspapers. An opinion will be scrutinized by an editor before it may be published. Why it that? Because many people hold opinions that are contrary to facts. Some people here hate me because I post some facts that they don't like. I expose liars.
    cornchipGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 52
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:
    I am touched. Wait a moment.I have never been on Twitter and left Facebook one year ago. Maybe changes to Meta and Dorsey leaving Twitter were result of that  :D
    I quit both earlier this year.  Both are evil companies.  I don't suspect this will improve Twitter at all.  At Least Hipster Rasputin won't have his mug everywhere.  
    Apple is not exactly a saint either. Maybe not ‘evil’ per se but tiptoeing around it sometimes.
    WTF does Apple have to do with any of this?  They don't have a social media presence!
    He’s not wrong though, as Apple sometimes treads in murky waters, especially in regard to China. 
    In regard to Twitter, nothing will change about that company. Unfortunately he is still on at Square. 
    Did Apple experience China haters' accusations in China? None! Nada! This is unlike what Twitter experienced in US. 
    People in China are either not allowed to know what is going on, or afraid to speak of it if they do. 

Or perhaps they don't have professional propagandists spreading conspiracy theories.
    This is correct answer. Unlike western countries people can spread any false information under protection of free speech, Chinese cannot spread false information. Anyone doing that will be dealt seriously. Think about it. Before the internet age, people can send opinion to newspapers. An opinion will be scrutinized by an editor before it may be published. Why it that? Because many people hold opinions that are contrary to facts. Some people here hate me because I post some facts that they don't like. I expose liars.
    You are suggesting a binary situation where there is not a binary situation. Your statement is only correct if the official position of the Chinese government is always consistent with the truth. I would suggest that the more correct statement would be that 'Chinese cannot spread information that is inconsistent with the official position of the Chinese government, and that anyone doing that will be dealt [with] seriously.' 
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondonronndocno42byronl
  • Reply 23 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

You are suggesting a binary situation where there is not a binary situation. Your statement is only correct if the official position of the Chinese government is always consistent with the truth. I would suggest that the more correct statement would be that 'Chinese cannot spread information that is inconsistent with the official position of the Chinese government, and that anyone doing that will be dealt [with] seriously.' 
    Do you understand politics? I see Chinese government is very similar to all government. A government sole responsibility is to govern. If a government can not deal with people that refuse to follow order, the government becomes ineffective. You should also be very careful using the word truth. I have stated in this forum before. Finding truth is like the story of blind men and elephant. They want to find out the truth of what elephant looks like. Each man gives a statement of what he thinks the elephant looks like after touching it. Isn't each statement a fact? But each fact is far from the truth. Even all statements are not equal to truth. Western opinion on China is just like that. Many China haters produce facts about China. But they hide all facts that are in favor of China. Often they insert lies to the statements. 
    edited November 2021 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 52
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I hate to say told you so.
    ronndocno42
  • Reply 25 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Do you understand politics? I see Chinese government is very similar to all government. A government sole responsibility is to govern. If a government can not deal with people that refuse to follow order, the government becomes ineffective. You should also be very careful using the word truth. I have stated in this forum before. Finding truth is like the story of blind men and elephant. They want to find out the truth of what elephant looks like. Each man gives a statement of what he thinks the elephant looks like after touching it. Isn't each statement a fact? But each fact is far from the truth. Even all statements are not equal to truth. Western opinion on China is just like that. Many China haters produce facts about China. But they hide all facts that are in favor of China. Often they insert lies to the statements. 
    This says it all, doesn't it?

For the record, I don't hate China. That would be a lot of people to hate, and I am not a hateful person.

Even if I were one of those blind people described above, I can certainly feel parts of that elephant, and I can definitely smell that elephant. While my understanding of the elephant may be incomplete, I know if there's an elephant there. As an informed citizen, I will probably even seek out educated elephant experts to tell me more about the elephant. Facts are facts. I may not be able to tell you if it's wearing a cute little hat, but I can reliably tell you it's definitely an elephant.

I am not interested in having a government that can then announce that there is no elephant, and if I don't affirmatively agree and state that "yes, there is no elephant," that government then has the power to deal with me. I prefer the US Constitution, where if the government officially denies the existence of the elephant in the room, enough of us plain old citizens who know better can vote out the elephant denier and vote for a new president who listens to scientists and other experts. At least so far, here in the West, that's how we citizens can deal with a bad government, like we just did a year ago.
    edited November 2021 williamlondonronndocno42
  • Reply 26 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

For the record, I don't hate China. That would be a lot of people to hate, and I am not a hateful person.

Even if I were one of those blind people described above, I can certainly feel parts of that elephant, and I can definitely smell that elephant. While my understanding of the elephant may be incomplete, I know if there's an elephant there. As an informed citizen, I will probably even seek out educated elephant experts to tell me more about the elephant. Facts are facts. I may not be able to tell you if it's wearing a cute little hat, but I can reliably tell you it's definitely an elephant.

I am not interested in having a government that can then announce that there is no elephant, and if I don't affirmatively agree and state that "yes, there is no elephant," that government then has the power to deal with me. I prefer the US Constitution, where if the government officially denies the existence of the elephant in the room, enough of us plain old citizens who know better can vote out the elephant denier and vote for a new president who listens to scientists and other experts. At least so far, here in the West, that's how we citizens can deal with a bad government, like we just did a year ago.
    You miss many important facts about China, the elephant. This is why your understanding of China is wrong. You and westerners don't know Chinese history and culture. Even if they think they know, it is only rudimentary. China has the most advanced government for over two thousand years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Departments_and_Six_Ministries
    Marco Polo visited China in the Yuan Dynasty. His book about the travel fascinated Europeans and people try to match it. This fermented the Renaissance. It eventually lead to the scientific revolution and industrial revolution. Western culture becomes so advance every Chinese culture. People looked down on Chinese and Chinese culture. No one is interested in Chinese culture. But the facts of the truth is westerners have never able to build an efficient government like China. Because western culture reveres personal freedom as God given. The government cannot even order people to wear a mask to ward off the virus. And the pandemic of looters now is a bad outcome of this personal freedom. I understand that freedom is an animal nature. A human being will hate any act that restrict his freedom. This is the origin of hatred toward China. Because Chinese culture puts order higher than freedom. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 52
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.
     I prefer the US Constitution, where if the government officially denies the existence of the elephant in the room, enough of us plain old citizens who know better can vote out the elephant denier and vote for a new president who listens to scientists and other experts....
    A free press is essential for democracy.  WIthout it democracy cannot stand.  But, these days cable news, social media and other sources are using and abusing it to spread disinformation that is destroying the country and its democracy.

So let's go back to his original statement that, in China you are not allowed to spread disinformation.  That is true.  It is good -- except when or if the government "gets it wrong" -- then there is no check on them.  They define the truth.  That is Communism's greatest weakness and what will, eventually, take them down.

But here we are swimming in the opposite -- a sea of disinformation.
    FauxNews led the way in spinning the truth using "facts" -- they paint one side of a story to push their ideology and their agenda.  And now talk radio, social media and other sources are using the same technique to spread disinformation as well.  
    ... In other words, using his analogy, you are shown an elelphant's trunk and, based on that "fact' you are told that an elephant is a thick tube like creature.  They used "facts" to lie you.

The proof is in the pudding:  China has 25 cases of COVID a day -- partly because they don't have to deal with corrupt idiots teaching people to hate and rebel from their country because "vaccines won't protect you" or one of the many other pieces of one-sided bullshit you hear on U.S. media.

As for us voting out those who lie to us:  The BigLie is still being used to discredit the last election and set the foundation for overturning the next (and the next).  So much for your democracy.  Kiss it goodbye.

As Obama correctly said:  "We used to debate opinions.  Now we debate facts".
    That's what the disinformation so rampant these days is doing:  misusing our freedom of the speach and the press in convincing large segments of the people that black is white and up is really down.

China has its Achilles heal and we have ours -- which is currently on full display.

-------------------------
    After thought:  Watch "The Line" on Apple TV.   It documents a psychopath murdering innocent people.  But, when arrested and indicted his family mobilized social media to discredit the charges and the people making those charges.  That lie progressed up the chain to FauxNews and the president injected himself into the process and the psychopath is, today free. 

Or, watch Jon Stewart's (I think) second episode where he talks about how freedom of the press is being misused to spread disinformation -- and is being used to dismantle our democracy.

edited December 2021 dewmethtcornchip
  • Reply 28 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Because western culture reveres personal freedom as God given. The government cannot even order people to wear a mask to ward off the virus. .... I understand that freedom is an animal nature. A human being will hate any act that restrict his freedom. This is the origin of hatred toward China. Because Chinese culture puts order higher than freedom. 
    It wasn't always that way.
    In my lifetime the vast majority of Americans put their country before their religion, ideology or personal interests.  It's why Nixon got the boot by his own people. 

Rampant propaganda and disinformation have made that a quaint piece of history.

dewmetht
  • Reply 29 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.
     I prefer the US Constitution, where if the government officially denies the existence of the elephant in the room, enough of us plain old citizens who know better can vote out the elephant denier and vote for a new president who listens to scientists and other experts....
    A free press is essential for democracy.  WIthout it democracy cannot stand.  But, these days cable news, social media and other sources are using and abusing it to spread disinformation that is destroying the country and its democracy.

So let's go back to his original statement that, in China you are not allowed to spread disinformation.  That is true.  It is good -- except when or if the government "gets it wrong" -- then there is no check on them.  They define the truth.  That is Communism's greatest weakness and what will, eventually, take them down.

FauxNews led the way in spinning the truth using "facts" -- they paint one side of a story to push their ideology and their agenda.  And now talk radio, social media and other sources are using the same technique to spread disinformation as well.  
    ... In other words, using his analogy, you are shown an elelphant's trunk and, based on that "fact' you are told that an elephant is a thick tube like creature.  They used "facts" to lie you.

The proof is in the pudding:  China has 25 cases of COVID a day -- partly because they don't have to deal with corrupt idiots teaching people to hate and rebel from their country because "vaccines won't protect you" or one of the many other pieces of one-sided bullshit you hear on U.S. media.

As for us voting out those who lie to us:  The BigLie is still being used to discredit the last election and set the foundation for overturning the next (and the next).  So much for your democracy.  Kiss it goodbye.

That's what the disinformation so rampant these days is doing:  misusing our freedom of the speach and the press in convincing large segments of the people that black is white and up is really down.

China has its Achilles heal and we have ours -- which is currently on full display.

After thought:  Watch "The Line" on Apple TV.   It documents a psychopath murdering innocent people.  But, when arrested and indicted his family mobilized social media to discredit the charges and the people making those charges.  That lie progressed up the chain to FauxNews and the president injected himself into the process and the psychopath is, today free. 

Or, watch Jon Stewart's (I think) second episode where he talks about how freedom of the press is being misused to spread disinformation -- and is being used to dismantle our democracy.

We have our problems, yes, but this: "Chinese culture puts order higher than freedom" is nothing less than chilling. You don't have to be a "China hater" to not like that. At all.
    ronn
  • Reply 30 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.

We have our problems, yes, but this: "Chinese culture puts order higher than freedom" is nothing less than chilling. You don't have to be a "China hater" to not like that. At all.

Yeh, you pretty much do -- or be brainwashed with anarchists proclaiming freedom means being able to do anything you want.

Government's main purpose is to create a stable society for its people that is safe from those who would harm it and its citizens -- that includes many, many things such as:  hunger, poverty, workplace and marketplace abuse, war, foreign and domestic terrorists, war, and all invaders -- no matter if they are man sized or microscopic.

But now we are being invaded by "factual" disinformation.   One of today's headlines on FauxNews is:

Most Americans believe COVID-19 leaked from Wuhan lab, support 'reparations' for cover-up, poll finds

Nearly 72% believe China lied about origin of coronavirus

Yes, that is factual:  those that they asked likely believe that bullshit.  That is a fact being used to promote a lie.
    edited December 2021 macplusplus
  • Reply 31 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.

Do you like being put into a small dark room and interrogated for a long time? This is happening every day in American airports by custom officials. And the purpose is order. Are you for it?
  • Reply 32 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Following an early leak of the departure, ex-Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey has stepped down from his post. Following the report, Twitter's shares rocketed up 11%. 

Read on AppleInsider
    lol - after the new CEOs old racist and incendiary tweets started to be exposed the stock rocketed down even faster.  

What a cesspool. 
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 33 of 52
    nicholfd said:

It's become obvious that a lot of the general population is incapable of deciding what is real and what is fake... 
    And you'll be our savior to rescue the general population from ourselves?

Ha!  No thanks.  The first thing tyrants do is seek to become the sole source of "truth".  Thanks for outing yourself.
    cornchip
  • Reply 34 of 52
    docno42 said:
    nicholfd said:

It's become obvious that a lot of the general population is incapable of deciding what is real and what is fake... 
    And you'll be our savior to rescue the general population from ourselves?

Ha!  No thanks.  The first thing tyrants do is seek to become the sole source of "truth".  Thanks for outing yourself.
    W(here)TF did you get that idea?  I never made any statements about what is real & what is fake, or wanting to be the "source of truth".  I have no desire to be involved with the general public or control anything or anyone.  Maybe you need to take your tinfoil hat off (based on your reply to my simple comment).

Just look at what's happened in the US alone, in the past few years.  Science, facts & common sense don't seem to apply anymore, to a lot of people. 
    ronnwilliamlondonGeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 35 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    No, I don't want social media platforms choosing between opinionated preferences for Ludwig von Mises or Karl Marx. I also don't want social media algorithms promoting opinion-based hokum that contradicts science-based facts because the hokum generates more clicks. 
    Why do we tolerate social media platforms inserting bias of any kind?  However noble or ignoble that bias may be?  Give me the tools to pick and filter the content I want and stay the hell out of everything else.  It's time for the FCC to grow a pair and enforce Section 230 as written - selective enforcement is just another fancy word salad to obfuscate for editorial control.  Section 230 was only meant to apply to carriers of others content, not those who exercise editorial control of content.  As soon as any service starts picking and choosing the content on their service, especially when done with vague policies that are enforced in secret, that's editorial control - it's no longer strictly the authors or 3rd party, unaffiliated content - the site is now also claiming ownership of that content.  As soon as sites do that, IMNSHO, 230 should no longer apply - just as it doesn't apply to the New York Times or other sites that publish their own content.  

If a service wants to hide behind 230 protection and still edit what flows through their platform, then at a minimum all their content policies should be required to be made public, and the rational behind all content moderation decisions (as well as showing how the rational ties to those public content rules) to prove they are applying their own rules consistently and not selectively.  Right now you have RAMPANT selective moderation.   And I'm not even talking political/conservative/liberal; just look at Twitch and how sexual content is basically unmoderated for women but if a male gets even vaguely near something sexual.  Anyone who advocates that there isn't rampant selective moderation is either grossly uniformed or a gasslighter of the highest magnitude.  

As for the overall usefulness of social media - I used to use Twitter all the time - but with a third party client (tweetbot) that was free of all the Twitter massaging of the timeline.  I could mute topics and keywords that weren't interesting - and in that capacity Twitter actually wasn't awful.  I have no idea how anyone uses any of these service through their default interfaces; they are utter garbage.  But unfiltered and with the tools to slice and dice the content you are interested in they can be quite useful.

The core problem is we have turned over all of our content and interactions to a handful of very large sites all in the name of convenience.  It's time to get back to the decentralized web.  If you are dumb enough to ditch your own web site and move all your business to Facebook or one of these other tech giants than sucks to be you when their automation or political biases cut you off.
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 36 of 52
    docno42 said:
    AppleZulu said:
    No, I don't want social media platforms choosing between opinionated preferences for Ludwig von Mises or Karl Marx. I also don't want social media algorithms promoting opinion-based hokum that contradicts science-based facts because the hokum generates more clicks. 
    Why do we tolerate social media platforms inserting bias of any kind?  However noble or ignoble that bias may be?  Give me the tools to pick and filter the content I want and stay the hell out of everything else.  It's time for the FCC to grow a pair and enforce Section 230 as written - selective enforcement is just another fancy word salad to obfuscate for editorial control.  Section 230 was only meant to apply to carriers of others content, not those who exercise editorial control of content.  As soon as any service starts picking and choosing the content on their service, especially when done with vague policies that are enforced in secret, that's editorial control - it's no longer strictly the authors or 3rd party, unaffiliated content - the site is now also claiming ownership of that content.  As soon as sites do that, IMNSHO, 230 should no longer apply - just as it doesn't apply to the New York Times or other sites that publish their own content.  

If a service wants to hide behind 230 protection and still edit what flows through their platform, then at a minimum all their content policies should be required to be made public, and the rational behind all content moderation decisions (as well as showing how the rational ties to those public content rules) to prove they are applying their own rules consistently and not selectively.  Right now you have RAMPANT selective moderation.   And I'm not even talking political/conservative/liberal; just look at Twitch and how sexual content is basically unmoderated for women but if a male gets even vaguely near something sexual.  Anyone who advocates that there isn't rampant selective moderation is either grossly uniformed or a gasslighter of the highest magnitude.  

As for the overall usefulness of social media - I used to use Twitter all the time - but with a third party client (tweetbot) that was free of all the Twitter massaging of the timeline.  I could mute topics and keywords that weren't interesting - and in that capacity Twitter actually wasn't awful.  I have no idea how anyone uses any of these service through their default interfaces; they are utter garbage.  But unfiltered and with the tools to slice and dice the content you are interested in they can be quite useful.

The core problem is we have turned over all of our content and interactions to a handful of very large sites all in the name of convenience.  It's time to get back to the decentralized web.  If you are dumb enough to ditch your own web site and move all your business to Facebook or one of these other tech giants than sucks to be you when their automation or political biases cut you off.
    Just NO!

No one is forced to use any company's social media platform.  They own it.  It's their rules.  Don't like it, don't use it, and the whole world would be a better place.

Businesses that only use Facebook or Twitter, do not get my business.  Period.
    ronnwilliamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.

Yeh, you pretty much do -- or be brainwashed with anarchists proclaiming freedom means being able to do anything you want.

Government's main purpose is to create a stable society for its people that is safe from those who would harm it and its citizens -- that includes many, many things such as:  hunger, poverty, workplace and marketplace abuse, war, foreign and domestic terrorists, war, and all invaders -- no matter if they are man sized or microscopic.

But now we are being invaded by "factual" disinformation.   One of today's headlines on FauxNews is:

Most Americans believe COVID-19 leaked from Wuhan lab, support 'reparations' for cover-up, poll finds

Nearly 72% believe China lied about origin of coronavirus

Yes, that is factual:  those that they asked likely believe that bullshit.  That is a fact being used to promote a lie.
    No, no I don't. The world is not binary. There is plenty of space between "giving up all freedom for order" and "giving up all order for freedom." The US Constitution was quite literally written to create a country in that space, closer to the "freedom" side. 

That's why I hope Twitter's new leadership plots a new course reflecting the idea that rights come with responsibilities. Their platform should be a place for free speech, but not one that enables, encourages and amplifies the spread of disinformation.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 52
    GeorgeBMac said:
    While the Free Press is the foundation that democracy stands on, it is being used by unscrupulous characters to dismantle the democracy that both depends on it and supports it.

Free press - ha!  When is the last time anyone in the mainstream media has talked about Sweden in regards to COVID?   Oh no, we can't bring them up because it blows the current fear generated narrative out of the water.

Look at the recent Kyle Rittenhouse trial.  Kyle is white, shot white aggressors and isn't even a conservative let alone a "proud boy" (if there ever was a dog whistle/straw man any time some idiot in politics or the media brings up the proud boys watch out).   Yet you had multiple reports that got all of that and the above wrong - and are continuing to get it wrong even post trial when there are now legal rulings on much of this crap.  I hope Kyle becomes VERY rich off of all the assholes who distorted his story for their own political gain.  

You know what the greatest foundation of democracy is?  Freedom - period. Full stop.  Not freedom for some protected classes - but universal freedom.  And chief of all - freedom from those who think they have the only version of "truth" that should be heard.  

America became successful because it was the closest thing to a universally level playing field the world has ever seen.  It never ceases to amaze me how many are fervently working to reverse that - and the biggest group of liars are the "diversity is our strength" crowd.  It's Jim Crowe all over, but wrapped in fancy terms like systemic racism and pseudo intellectualism like the 1619 project.   Saving us from racism via noble bigotry.    Ideas so stupid that only the overly educated could mistake them for sophistication. 
    williamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 39 of 52
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    nicholfd said:
    lkrupp said:
    sdw2001 said:

Facts are facts.

Do you like being put into a small dark room and interrogated for a long time? This is happening every day in American airports by custom officials. And the purpose is order. Are you for it?
    Without knowing the specific circumstances, I can't respond to the specific example.

More generally, where the US falls short of its ideals of following due process to balance personal freedom against the need for general civil order, no, I am not "for it." I am free to say that, and to criticize instances where I believe the government has failed to do the right thing. I can do that openly, and there will be no police showing up at my door to "deal with me."
    ronndocno42muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 40 of 52
    GeorgeBMac said:

25 cases a day - according to who?  The Chinese government?  The same government that locked down travel inside their own country but let travel outside occur unfettered - so they wouldn't be the only ones economically impacted by the virus? 

Yup, let's trust *them*.

Also vaccines don't "protect" you.  They don't even prevent infection from the virus.  They lesson the symptoms of infection - and if you look closely that's all the CDC claims.  So far the Omicron variant is being reported by the south African doctors as being very mild - hardly any hospitalizations.  If true then the Omicron variant will be far more effective at getting us to herd immunity than the vaccine that's not a traditional vaccine but really a gene therapy under development for more than two decades but not seen previously as economically viable to take through trial because of all the side effects until there was a crises that let them sweep all that under the rug while saving the day and also getting guaranteed payments with zero liability. 

You are absolutely correct - to have ANY suspicions about that is utter bullshit  :p

Also never mind that natural immunity is stronger, lasts longer, and also provides far more protection for variants.  They haven't even confirmed if the current vax/booster fiasco is effective with Delta, let alone any other variant yet the incessant drumbeat to "vax vax vax" continues unabated.  

BTW - a letter from an actual doctor in south africa expressing her horror at the overdramatization and fear mongering around the Omicron variant: 

Free press indeed - the traditional media is nothing but the propaganda arm for the government - if there was an ounce of independent critical thought or even a wisp of this much vaunted "journalistic integrity" you might see at least multiple sides presented - even if skeptically.  But no....
    muthuk_vanalingam