EU hits back at Apple withholding Apple Intelligence from the region

Comments

• Reply 41 of 170
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,378member
    She's Lucy with the football. Really awful nasty person. Too much power.
    timpetusjas99JaiOh81
  • Reply 42 of 170
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    thrang said:
    avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

"Specifically, we are concerned that the interoperability requirements of the DMA could force us to compromise the integrity of our products in ways that risk user privacy and data security," said Apple. "We are committed to collaborating with the European Commission in an attempt to find a solution that would enable us to deliver these features to our EU customers without compromising their safety."

And then this:

"From previous statements including ones to AppleInsider, it's known that Apple has been continually working with the EU on its responses to the DMA, so it's reasonable to assume that will continue.

Leads to the question: Why even bother putting the subject into the public domain if communication and clarification are ongoing? 

Far better to say as little as possible until things are clarified. All it takes is clarification and all for a roll out that isn't even planned for this year! 

Basically FUD on Apple's part and Vestager has a valid point in her response to a question that wouldn't have been asked if it weren't for Apple. 

Basically FUD on the part of EU-loving commenters. Apple has a right to provide whatever capabilities it wants to in whatever country/region it wants to. You're buying a product with certain features. There's nothing that says Apple has to provide the EU with everything it has the capability of including. The EU can demand Apple provide everything but that's not the way companies work. This is a brand new Apple capability and Apple has the right to provide it when they feel it's ready, not when a corrupt EU demands it. At this point, I feel Apple is well within its rights to start charging for features in countries it wants to. As far as I'm concerned, Apple should start charging for macOS, iOS, tvOS, iPadOS along with every Apple app and feature it wants to. I'd like to see the EU try and force Apple to provide everything for free. It isn't going to happen.
    No one is disputing Apple's right to bring or not bring certain features to the EU. That is up to them and is irrelevant here. 

The point is 'making a meal out of something' and putting it down to the DMA even when Apple itself claims it's in contact with the EU on the subject and also claims not to know what is possible or not. 

It's all completely unnecessary on Apple's part. Why not simply ask the EU and wait for a reply? 
    Apple is an enormous company with billions of users and one of the high market capitalizations in the world. It is likely incumbent on them to announce this interim intention as it may impact financial results or investor opinion/analysis of the company. If Craig Federighi loses a single hair from his mane, Apple may make it public....
    No interim intentions necessary for a feature set that hadn't even had a date set for non-English native regions (all of the EU). 

On a personal level I can see exactly what Apple is trying here because it is the route they've chosen from the outset. 

'Malicious compliance' followed by pushback from the EU. Apple then makes changes (which it spins as concessions) to comply, but actually remains non-compliant and then plays off those initial changes as a 'defence' for remaining non-compliant. "Hey! We've already made a bunch of changes to satisfy you!"

That won't work. The EU will simply counter with "you weren't compliant from the outset and remain non-compliant now, here is your fine"

muthuk_vanalingamAnObserverspheric
  • Reply 43 of 170
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 393member
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

"Specifically, we are concerned that the interoperability requirements of the DMA could force us to compromise the integrity of our products in ways that risk user privacy and data security," said Apple. "We are committed to collaborating with the European Commission in an attempt to find a solution that would enable us to deliver these features to our EU customers without compromising their safety."

And then this:

"From previous statements including ones to AppleInsider, it's known that Apple has been continually working with the EU on its responses to the DMA, so it's reasonable to assume that will continue.

Leads to the question: Why even bother putting the subject into the public domain if communication and clarification are ongoing? 

Far better to say as little as possible until things are clarified. All it takes is clarification and all for a roll out that isn't even planned for this year! 

Basically FUD on Apple's part and Vestager has a valid point in her response to a question that wouldn't have been asked if it weren't for Apple. 

Basically FUD on the part of EU-loving commenters. Apple has a right to provide whatever capabilities it wants to in whatever country/region it wants to. You're buying a product with certain features. There's nothing that says Apple has to provide the EU with everything it has the capability of including. The EU can demand Apple provide everything but that's not the way companies work. This is a brand new Apple capability and Apple has the right to provide it when they feel it's ready, not when a corrupt EU demands it. At this point, I feel Apple is well within its rights to start charging for features in countries it wants to. As far as I'm concerned, Apple should start charging for macOS, iOS, tvOS, iPadOS along with every Apple app and feature it wants to. I'd like to see the EU try and force Apple to provide everything for free. It isn't going to happen.
    Vestager is not suggesting that Apple needs to deliver AI features to EU users. What she notes is that Apple's statement seems to imply they are not anxious to offer features where competition will be required. Not that it matters in the real world since Apple isn't rolling out some of those features this fall outside of the US and in English anyway, correct? If so, why did Apple say anything at all? My sense is it's a negotiating tactic.
    Apple could care less about straight and fair competition. The EU is mandating nothing of the sort. It is forcing them to aide and abet competitors to sell within its IP boundaries, mandate that it has to happen, determine if they can charge or how much they charge for the ability to do so. Its a virus-level intrusion to an alarming level.

Apple is not the only tech required to abide by the DMA as a condition of selling in the EU market. They are not being singled out with rules that apply only to them.

True. Microsoft seems to heading to the same problems and it too will need to consider business in the EU.
  • Reply 44 of 170
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,918member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Vestager is not suggesting that Apple needs to deliver AI features to EU users. What she notes is that Apple's statement seems to imply they are not anxious to offer features where competition will be required. Not that it matters in the real world since Apple isn't rolling out some of those features this fall outside of the US and in English anyway, correct? If so, why did Apple say anything at all? My sense is it's a negotiating tactic.
    Apple could care less about straight and fair competition. The EU is mandating nothing of the sort. It is forcing them to aide and abet competitors to sell within its IP boundaries, mandate that it has to happen, determine if they can charge or how much they charge for the ability to do so. Its a virus-level intrusion to an alarming level.

Apple is not the only tech required to abide by the DMA as a condition of selling in the EU market. They are not being singled out with rules that apply only to them.
    Remind me, which EU companies have been ruled gatekeepers?
    None as far as I know ...
    Funny how that worked out.
    elijahgtimpetusjas99macxpress
  • Reply 45 of 170
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

There have been an awful lot in every single country of the EU. Their powers were curtailed years ago. To the point that an ICT company (Telefonica) has asked the Spanish government to ease up on the obligations placed on it, on the grounds that competition has left it being just another competitor among many. The same has applied to energy companies, rail companies, airlines etc.

What you really mean is gatekeepers in the digital age and that is why we have the DSA/DMA specifically to deal with that.

Those companies that enjoyed 'first mover' status (mostly from the US) are those that got a foothold and have tried to stifle competition as the technology has evolved. 

It's also why the US wanted to 'control' the internet. 

The EU is laying the groundwork with these regulations to level the playing field. 

I would not rule out a 'consortium' effort at some point if things don't play out. Imagine Airbus for mobile devices. 

spheric
  • Reply 46 of 170
    lotoneslotones Posts: 68member
    EU - "How dare you not bring features that would make you non-compliant to our arbitrary rules. That just proves how anti-competitive you are!"

Apple - "Ok, here are the missing features."

EU - "And here's your fine for bringing features that are anti-competitive according to our arbitrary rules."

“Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.” - Frank Zappa
    edited June 28 foregoneconclusion9secondkox2timpetuswilliamlondonjas99radarthekatAzzpscooter63beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 47 of 170
    avon b7 said: 'Malicious compliance' followed by pushback from the EU. Apple then makes changes (which it spins as concessions) to comply, but actually remains non-compliant and then plays off those initial changes as a 'defence' for remaining non-compliant. "Hey! We've already made a bunch of changes to satisfy you!"
    There aren't any examples of malicious compliance by Apple. The only thing they've been fined for is the evidence-free fantasy that the music streaming market was harmed by Apple Music. That didn't involve compliance. The EU just decreed that Apple owed them $1.8 billion. And the CTF is just Apple wanting to make money from their IP. There's no requirement to pay CTF based on steering customers outside the App Store. CTF only comes into play with for-profit apps that go above a cap level for annual installs. The EU uses caps with the DMA so I'm not sure what they're going to say is wrong with a cap. 
    timpetusjas99AnObserver
  • Reply 48 of 170
    avon b7 said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

It's also why the US wanted to 'control' the internet. 

You do realize that the US created the Internet, right?

But, good luck with your EU sponsored combinations consortiums. It's inevitable that US tech companies pull out of the EU's hostile marketplace. I doubt very much you'll be able to pick up the slack since the EU is a hostile environment to innovation even for its own companies. But, I'm sure the Russians and the Chinese will be happy to help you out.
    elijahgtimpetusjas99danox
  • Reply 49 of 170
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    mike1 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

None as far as i know, but which EU company has a rich closed or semi-closed ecosystem of first-party services which might be artificially preventing competition, Name a specific one and then any discussion yo want to have might have relevance. 

Still not able to upload a BMW OS in a Mercedes. Can only by BMW software enhancements from BMW. Why can't I side load software in my car? Imagine that happening.
    Neither of those companies could be mistaken as gatekeepers. The entire automotive industry is vibrant, and very competitive on both features and prices. That industry is probably more regulated than any of the US techs anyway. 
    edited June 28 muthuk_vanalingamspheric
  • Reply 50 of 170
    y2any2an Posts: 199member
    Vestager’s comments were unhinged or unwise at best. In her role she should have limited herself to saying that her department needs to examine Apple’s questions more carefully. She is the one that has made a political snowball out of this which really underscores her agenda. I’m not saying it is, but Apple could be the most benevolent company in the world and she would still find fault with it, because her mission is to try and break apart successful American companies. It is not about competition and market access, Apple has in fact been responding to that. It’s all well and good to ask for “interoperability“ but where there is new technology and no establish standards, and standards take decades to evolve, it is pipe dreaming. The Commission’s methodology is incompatible with pace of evolution of technology.
    timpetusjas99danoxradarthekatJaiOh81AzzAnObserverpscooter63
  • Reply 51 of 170
    temperortemperor Posts: 77member
    So much uninformed opinions. Apple’s statement is pretty clear, they love to bring the feature to the EU, but are investigating if that is possible and if that would be compliant with the DMA. It’s not that it needs to work on windows or Android, but the fact that they need to potentially open up the A.I semantic database with all your your privacy related content to third parties out of their control and that could potentially endanger users security and privacy.

Just to be clear sharing location is something completely different than sharing your complete life … not so long ago MS had to experience this with WIndows Recall, ones smart people found out that database could be used by any local users, MS had to retracted and postpone Windows Recall … due to privacy and security, now think in that context, would you be happy to share that kind of dynamite with a third party apps tore …

kiltedgreenwilliamlondonjas99radarthekatJaiOh81AppleZulu
  • Reply 52 of 170
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 443member
    Point taken. Nice to see that the EC stays sharp as a knife against companies taking competition laws lightly.

if Apple won’t make Apple Intelligence aka OpenAI with an Apple layer, then users can still do without the layer

• Reply 53 of 170
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,889member
    Shows even further how corrupt the EU is. 

They stoop to name-calling when Apple doesn’t bend over backward to give its competitors free stuff and provide bad actors more attack vectors. 

The heck kind of bizarro universe are they living in?

gotta love how this government blabs in public like it’s the gossip section instead of quietly, professionally conducting its business. Instead they launch a smear campaign. 

Absolutely shameful look from the EU. But then again, that’s not new for them. 

It’s not anticompetitive to not do something that would make users vulnerable under a certain set of laws. It’s called wisdom. And last I heard, the EU wasn’t the only place not getting these features just yet. 

Apple doesn’t OWE YOU features it makes. It only needs to operate according to the law. And laws are meant to create order, not micromanage companies. 

I do believe that Apple will eventually have no choice but to take the high road and leave the EU market to it it’s own sad destiny due to the extremely hostile and childish attacks consistently comings it’s way from the likes of Vesteger, et al. 

It’s like she and fellow cronies are mad because Apple isn’t letting her play CEO by proxy cosplay or something. 

Can’t wait for American leadership to go to bat for Americans on the world stage again. This is wrong on every level. 
    edited June 28 timpetusjas99JaiOh81
  • Reply 54 of 170
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

It is equally wrong for all companies it impacts, but aren't they are cherry picking the most successful companies (revenue?) leaving most other companies scott-free?
    timpetusjas99danoxJaiOh81
  • Reply 55 of 170
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said: It's all completely unnecessary on Apple's part. Why not simply ask the EU and wait for a reply? 
    That's what they're doing: putting the new AI features on hold while they communicate with the EU per the DMA requirements. Note that Apple was in communication with the EU about the anti-steering changes in the DMA and now the EU is saying there's something wrong with what Apple did. 
    What was unnecessary was the need to make a fuss out of things. Totally unnecessary. 

If they had simply asked and waited for a reply we wouldn't even be talking about this now. No one would have brought the question up in the first place. Vestager wouldn't have said anything. 

But no, Apple decided to FUD things up. 

That's their call but it's pretty foolish, petty and probably won't help in the bigger scheme of things. 

Apple’s going for friction so... so be it. 

Actually it’s the EU w
    ho is getting out of line by taking this to the public in a gossipy way instead of conducting itself professionally. 

And Apple doesn’t owe the EU anything. 

They don’t have to provide new features, new hardware even. They can have a euro model of only selling SE iPhones if they want. 

This childish display of the si not getting to push someone around is way out of line. So now they resort to labeling Apple anticompetitive, simply because the company known for quality and security wants to stay quality and secure. If that means not launching a feature there -ever, even - that’s ok. 

But these weirdos think that everything an American company does should be dictated to by wannabe apple CEO Vesteger and pals. 
    timpetusjas99JaiOh81
  • Reply 56 of 170
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,024member
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

Will Apple be able to freely promote and sell Apple Music within the Spotify app and website?

Well of course they can. I wasn't aware Apple had their own label music, but assume they do. If Apple wants to sell Apple Music content on Spotify per licensing requirements, what prevents it as long as they're willing to share part of the music revenue with Spotify? And If Spotify has their own labeled music catalog then they too could offer it within Apple Music in exchange for a cut of the revenue from it.
    Not sure what you're talking about. Neither Apple or Spotify is a music label. Apple is being compelled to allow companies like Spotify to market and sell there service on Apple's platform with no compensation to Apple. How does this make sense.

So my hypothetical asked: Will Apple be permitted to advertise and sell their Apple Music service in Spotify's house, for free???
    timpetusjas99danoxradarthekatJaiOh81beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 57 of 170

avon b7 said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

No one is disputing Apple's right to bring or not bring certain features to the EU. That is up to them and is irrelevant here. 

The point is 'making a meal out of something' and putting it down to the DMA even when Apple itself claims it's in contact with the EU on the subject and also claims not to know what is possible or not. 

It's all completely unnecessary on Apple's part. Why not simply ask the EU and wait for a reply? 
    The only ones making a meal of something is the eu - literally over something that isn’t even wrong and something that’s beyond their pay grade - what features a company will and will not launch in a given region. 

Apple is perfectly in their rights to be transparent about the reasoning behind certain features appearing in some places and not others. 

For the EU to get publicly bent about it before any meaningful moves can be made just shows how incompetent they have been and are today. Obviously the DMA is nascent. It’s not going to be perfect. There are flaws. As things move along, part of good faith is recognizing the flaws and fixing them, not getting upset that someone showed you a flaw. 

The EU. NEEDS TO WORK EITH APPLE, not just try to bully them. 

If there is a trap door with death spikes under it in your house and a guest points it out, you don’t tell the world your guest is rude. You FIX THE PROBLEM. 
    edited June 28 timpetusradarthekat
  • Reply 58 of 170
    The EU is an extortion racket. Change my mind. 
    timpetusradarthekatJaiOh81beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 59 of 170
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    thrang said:
    gatorguy said:
    rob53 said:
    avon b7 said:
    This:

And then this:

It is equally wrong for all companies it impacts, but aren't they are cherry picking the most successful companies (revenue?) leaving most other companies scott-free?
    No, they're cherry picking American companies.
    timpetusdanox
  • Reply 60 of 170
    Too much power.
    I've tried to avoid getting personal in this discussion, but she does often seem power drunk the way — both her words and her tone — she answers questions. And the answers always demonstrate a very personal hostility toward and an intention to bend to her personal will the companies she has decided to regulate. Almost like this has little to do with the companies and the realities of the marketplace and everything to do with a personal vendetta being carried out.
    timpetusKierkegaardenradarthekatAzz