Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 141 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

[

May 21 1927, Lindbergh Lands In Paris:

American pilot Charles A. Lindbergh lands at Le Bourget Field in Paris, successfully completing the first solo, nonstop transatlantic flight and the first ever nonstop flight between New York to Paris. His single-engine monoplane, The Spirit of St. Louis, had lifted off from Roosevelt Field in New York 33 1/2 hours before.

Back when relations were a little better between the two countries. Now the Americans would hate him for going and the French might shoot him down.
  • Reply 142 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 22 1990, Windows 3.0 debuts

On this day in 1990, Microsoft unveiled Windows 3.0 at gala events in twenty cities around the world, linked by satellite to a theater in New York City. The show featured a speech by Bill Gates, as well as laser lights, videos, and surround sound. Microsoft spent $10 million publicizing the new release in what was generally regarded as the most expensive software introduction to date.

Industry experts praised the software as a major improvement over earlier versions of Windows. Apple, alarmed by the success of the new software, sued Microsoft for stealing its user-friendly interface but ultimately lost the case. Meanwhile, IBM tried to reestablish its dominance in the personal computer business by pushing its OS/2 operating system, which Microsoft had helped develop. Windows 3.0 captured consumers' loyalty and sold three million copies in its first year.
  • Reply 143 of 770
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

May 22 1990, Windows 3.0 debuts

On this day in 1990...

man, where do you find this stuff?
  • Reply 144 of 770
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

...but we don't have a seed machine, and we are probably in the "small" category of developers anyway.

I haven't heard of ANYONE being seeded a machine outside of Apple actually.

CONFIRMED: Moki has heard of PPC 970 machines seeded inside of Apple!

• Reply 145 of 770

May 23 1908, John Bardeen, Nobel prize winner, born

John Bardeen, along with William Shockley and Walter Bratton, invented the transistor, which set the stage for all modern microelectronics. Bardeen was also the only person ever to win the Nobel Prize for Physics twice.

Bardeen worked as a physicist for the U.S. Navy during World War II. After the war, he joined Bell Telephone Laboratories, where he worked on the electronic conducting properties of semiconductors. In 1947, his team invented the transistor, which won the group a Nobel Prize in 1956. Semiconductors replaced vacuum tubes in electronic equipment, making electronics progressively smaller, faster, and more durable.

Bardeen became a professor of physics at the University of Illinois in Urbana. In 1972, he won a second Nobel Prize, with Leon Cooper and John Schrieffer, for their work on the theory of superconductivity. He died in 1991.
  • Reply 146 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Has no one seen this?

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...2871_tc056.htm

***CONFIRMED***! (sort of)

From the article:

Quote:

IBM says the new Apple chip will be of the 64-bit variety, which means it can process twice as much information per cycle as existing 32-bit chips.

This is going to be a long summer.

Unless the writer is doing the TidBITS trick of picking which bits of publically available information to emphasize based on insider information, there's nothing new or surprising in the article. Gee, a PowerPC that would work in an Apple? Whodathunkit?

This sounds to me like a marginally competent tech writer who's read around and talked to a few people. If he has anything new to bring to the table, he's being careful about stating it by implication.
  • Reply 147 of 770

May 24 1989, Xerox demands interface fees

On this day in 1989, Xerox announced it would seek licensing fees from computer companies using graphical user interfaces. The company's computer scientists at the Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) had designed the original graphical user interface with point-and-click controls operated by a mouse. After Steve Jobs and a group of Apple engineers saw the interface during a visit to Xerox PARC in late 1979, they immediately began work on the user-friendly Macintosh, which used many of Xerox's conventions.

Xerox said that because PARC scientists had first developed the graphical user interface (GUI), companies like Apple who implemented their own GUIs should pay licensing fees. Ironically, Apple had recently sued Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard for copying the Macintosh interface. In the end, neither Apple nor Xerox succeeded in gaining control over point-and-click interfaces.
  • Reply 148 of 770
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    NETRO....you should get yourself a new title.

WWDC Watchdog
  • Reply 149 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

NETRO....you should get yourself a new title.

WWDC Watchdog

LOL Thanks man, good idea

I have to say I regret starting this, but hey, I started it so now I have to finish it, right?
  • Reply 150 of 770
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member

1994 First World Wide Web Conference opened at CERN

The first International WWW Conference opened at CERN, the European Particle Physics Lab in Geneva, on May 25, 1994. The two-day conference was heavily oversubscribed: Some eight hundred people applied, but only four hundred were admitted. Sometimes referred to as the "Woodstock of the Web," the conference generated new directions for the Internet.

The Web had evolved at CERN under the guidance of British computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee, who had started work in 1989 on a hypertext system that would enable documents to "link" to each other easily. By 1990, he had created the basic structure of the World Wide Web, which was posted on the Internet in the summer of 1991. Berners-Lee continued to develop the Web through 1993, working with feedback from Internet users. By late 1991 and early 1992, the Web was widely discussed, and in early 1993, Marc Andreessen and other computer graduate students at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois released the Mosaic browser, Netscape's precursor.
  • Reply 151 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    970 demo' and Panther becomes more Mac like. With proper interface sounds and...gets some 'snap' and 'soul'. And some more configurability. If the 20 million '9' users want a rainbow coloured Apple menu...let them bloody well have it. Does it matter? IF Panther is that revol' then it should cater to more than one way of doing things anyhow.

Jaguar. It looks better than classic. But it doesn't 'feel' better than Classic. All 'Bucks' and no 'Fizz'.

Next consigned to their place in history. 'Some good ideas but...'

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 152 of 770
    overtoastyovertoasty Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

Jaguar. It looks better than classic. But it doesn't 'feel' better than Classic. All 'Bucks' and no 'Fizz'.

Lemon Bon Bon

... "Feel"? ... ah, the ghost of muscle memories past ...

The problem with "feel" is that it's very hard to explain to someone, an aspect of a user interface that they can't actually see.

The other problem with feel, is that, just because it's hard to explain, doesn't make it's necessity go away ... it's sorta like the vitamin C of interface design, if you don't get any - even if you don't know it's supposed to be there - you'll get sick of using the system.

9 users know what they're missing feel-wise when they use OSX, the problem is they can't explain it: and while Apple's certainly done a better job of feeling out OSX lately, it's still not quite OS9 - however, I prefer OSX now anyway, but loosing that superior feel of OS9 has been a bit of a bitter pill.
  • Reply 153 of 770
    Quote:

I prefer OSX now anyway, but loosing that superior feel of OS9 has been a bit of a bitter pill.

That's what I was trying to say.

...and here's hoping Panther can give the 'cat' some soul. Or 'Vitamin C' as you say...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 154 of 770
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    I think Apple should try and create a law in every country that enables the country to shoot the people who think Mac OS 9 is better than Mac OS X. This would solve several problems and would end in lower bandwidth use on Mac forums.

(Translation: Shut up and erase Classic.)
  • Reply 155 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

What parts of the OS' 'feel' are you guys talking about? The Finder? Having used Jaguar for the past year that is the only place I find myself missing things from MacOS 9.x -- and even then its mainly just a few key features. Isn't Panther supposed to introduce a new (or heavily updated) Finder?

Aside from parts of the Finder's user experience everything else about Jaguar has been terrific... especially the stability and its pre-emptive tasking nature. The 'feel' of using the machine is about a thousand times better than my old machine. Half of that is probably due to the improved hardware, and the other half is the OS which unleashes the hardware's capabilities. Using the MacOS 9 machine had gotten painful after long years, whereas Jaguar really injected a lot of life into the experience.
  • Reply 156 of 770
    Quote:

'feel'

Well, I'd have figured that anyone with the handle 'Programmer' wouldn't really get it.

I like 'X'.

However.

'X' doesn't 'feel' right. Cludgy and awkward. But of course, we're all aware of it's strong points (uptime, multitasking...). I guess the 'seminal' and intangible(?) quality of the original is lost...mired in neXT politics? Hard to believe you could sell your soul to solve your achilles heel. Hmmm.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what 'Panther' brings.

Waiting for the 'Fizz'...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 157 of 770
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What parts of the OS' 'feel' are you guys talking about? The Finder? Having used Jaguar for the past year that is the only place I find myself missing things from MacOS 9.x -- and even then its mainly just a few key features. Isn't Panther supposed to introduce a new (or heavily updated) Finder?

Aside from parts of the Finder's user experience everything else about Jaguar has been terrific... especially the stability and its pre-emptive tasking nature. ... Using the MacOS 9 machine had gotten painful after long years, whereas Jaguar really injected a lot of life into the experience.

Got to agree! Outside of some finder and customization features, I far prefer OS-X, and in terms of stability and multi-tasking, it is light years ahead of OS-9. It will be interesting to see what Panther brings us. Still though, there is a little bit of the "speed and intuitive feel" of OS-9, that I would like to eventually see appear in "X".
  • Reply 158 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I think a lot of people are mistaking what I call the "elegance" of OS X for a lack of speed.

Mac OS 9 is not really a multitasking OS, except for some very specific things that Apple built into it in the last couple of years of it's dominance.

OS X leads the user better than the classic Mac OS. Remember that OS X allows applications to be working while you move from event to event: something OS 9 is pitiful at doing.

Also, while some folks like the GUI to appear to shift from view to view instantly, others like to see that process take place so they don't get lost.

This is not "snappiness." Snappiness is the immediate execution and feedback from an event that can only result in that event (such as hitting command-p and immediately getting the print dialog.

Elegance is not losing a window when you minimize it to the dock because the computer shows you that process occurring. You might say that that is the "only" possible feedback for this, but it's not: If the user missed the widget by a few mm, the window would close. Accidentally hitting command-o instead of command-p, gives instant feedback by putting up an "open" dialog. Wrong result, but not a fatal error.

My 0.02
  • Reply 159 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Well, I'd have figured that anyone with the handle 'Programmer' wouldn't really get it.

You ought to be careful jumping to conclusions like that, they can lead you far astray.

Quote:

'X' doesn't 'feel' right. Cludgy and awkward. But of course, we're all aware of it's strong points (uptime, multitasking...). I guess the 'seminal' and intangible(?) quality of the original is lost...mired in neXT politics? Hard to believe you could sell your soul to solve your achilles heel.

'X' feels quite right to me, although the only machine I've used it on is a dual 1 GHz G4 w/ Radeon8500. I can well imagine that it would feel clunky on lesser hardware, but then I still remember the agony of System 1.0 on the Mac128K (especially that really annoying floppy disk sounds that you'd hear way too often as it read resources off the disk just because you did something trivial). On my machine, however, X feels great and puts my previous MacOS 9 PowerMac and my Win2K machine at work to shame.
  • Reply 160 of 770
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Yeah, Classic was great, nothing I like better than setting AI to 999MB then having to shut it off so I could set PS to 999MB. All this with nothing else running. If I had to give up X and go back to 9 I'd give up about 40% productivity in my work. OS 9 sucked and still does. I'd gladly give up a little finder (which I do when I have to search a HD for some files) for the productivity.