Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 161 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

'X' feels quite right to me

Okay. I'll stop teasing now.

'X' is about something 'new'. There's no disputing its 'finer' qualities. And no doubt, I'm quietly hoping that WWDC will bring something new.

I was watching a film yesterday, called 'Clone'. Interesting the way computers of the future type GUIs are portrayed sometimes in films. There was one sequence with voice activated email and an animation of the email contents opening/coming out of an 'envelope' on the desktop. It kinda got me thinking about just how radical Panther on a 970 will be. There's plenty of Aqua eye-candy in Jaguar but other than features Mac OS should have had years ago? Not alot of true functional innovation? Perhaps Apple should go back to the interface labs of a certain company and see what they're working on?

I guess the innovation will come as processing cycles increase with the 970/980 etc and now that Jag' is basically 'finished'?

I'd like the classic interface sounds. More appearance themes. I'd like one of those themes to be a Classic in Aqua set-up with that 'feel'. I'm sure there are plenty of Quark 6 upgraders who would like that option too. At least until they learn 'X' speak. More flexible dock. Multi-session burning on CD. 2D/3D animations of certain functions. Ability to turn these things on/off.

'X' kinda feels like Mac. But it's definately missing something...(s) That 'Finder' just...doesn't...seem/feel...right...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 162 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Lemon,

Generally like your posts. This is not a personal attack. Please read my sig.

• Reply 163 of 770
    Quote:

its

Cheers.

You got me there. One of my pet hates too!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 164 of 770
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    As much as I hate to admit it, I liked 9 better than X from a feel perspective. I can do so much more in X, but it lacks the "friendliness" of 9. See Ars Technica's "About the Finder" for more info. With 9, it felt that you were interacting with the computer, that everything you did felt like doing something basic and simple to the computer. Mac OS X's Finder doesn't have that at all, unfortunatly. The only place I can experience that in X is the terminal (which will only ever be "friendly" to a very few proportion of people).

The dock is friendly. The dock makes it clear what applications are running on the computer, and can launch applications. It's very simple when you think about it, and it's how a computer works. These are the applications you can run, and these are the ones running.

Barto
  • Reply 165 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 26 1992, Adobe president kidnapped

Charles Geschke, president of Adobe Systems, was kidnapped from the company parking lot in Mountain View, California, on this day in 1992. Geschke's generous philanthropy attracted the attention of two would-be kidnappers in Silicon Valley, who abducted Geschke at gunpoint in broad daylight, blindfolded him with duct tape, and kept him chained and handcuffed in a rented house. The FBI nabbed one of the kidnappers during a ransom drop and rescued Geschke on May 30.

Ironically, a neighbor of Geschke's had noticed a man, who later proved to be one of the kidnappers, rifling through Geschke's mail several days earlier. She had written down the man's license plate number; however, not knowing Geschke was missing, she never gave the number to the police until after Geschke had been returned.
  • Reply 166 of 770
    silvergunsilvergun Posts: 62member
    I think we should set our exptectations of the WWDC really low. I say the only thing new will be 10.2.7 build of jaguar..exactly the same as 10.2.6 but with upto date ATI drivers. That way if something better comes out we can all be genuinly pleased. I for 1 will be sitting at my comp watching the keynote (if they broadcast it) and vigorously masterbating to any new products unveiled. I say we all do the same and maybe raise some cash in a charity wank off..the money could go to apple so when they get rid of Al Gore. It can go towards his payoff so he will keep quiet.

Quality Nice!
  • Reply 167 of 770
    Quote:

and vigorously masterbating

Is that why they call you 'Silver Gun'?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 168 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I think Barto is on to something.

The OS X Finder does fail to seem "friendly." Yes, it is quite powerful, but it often seems to disconnect from the user -- like it is going off into another room to get something you asked for without telling you it's moving.

I do not know the solution, because I think it is aesthetic in nature, not necessarily programmatic.
  • Reply 169 of 770
    Quote:

As much as I hate to admit it, I liked 9 better than X from a feel perspective. I can do so much more in X, but it lacks the "friendliness" of 9. See Ars Technica's "About the Finder" for more info. With 9, it felt that you were interacting with the computer, that everything you did felt like doing something basic and simple to the computer.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 170 of 770
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Lemon!

ROFL!
  • Reply 171 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    I find the need to quote myself:

Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What parts of the OS' 'feel' are you guys talking about? The Finder? Having used Jaguar for the past year that is the only place I find myself missing things from MacOS 9.x -- and even then its mainly just a few key features. Isn't Panther supposed to introduce a new (or heavily updated) Finder?

• Reply 172 of 770
    Quote:

The OS X Finder does fail to seem "friendly." Yes, it is quite powerful, but it often seems to disconnect from the user -- like it is going off into another room to get something you asked for without telling you it's moving.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 173 of 770
    Quote:

Isn't Panther supposed to introduce a new (or heavily updated) Finder?

I hope so. I'm not a heavy 'X' critic. But they've clearly got something 'slightly' wrong with the 'Finder' (otherwise they wouldn't be 'heavily' updating it.) And judging by the 'slow' adoption of 'X' I'm not the only person who thinks so.

It's weird. I LIKE using 'X'. But there's something mildly frustrating about using it. And it hasn't anything to do with the speed of my Wife's iBook... When I use 'Classic'...I can't help but feel Apple's lost something. And that aint Nostalgia I'm smelling.

I hope Panther brings ALL of those 25 million Mac users alot more choice. 'Soulful Semantics' are hard to argue. But it's the clear reason we're using Macs instead of Windows. I suppose I want the Mac OS to go forward...but I guess losing 'who you are' along the way is something you must weigh carefully. When I first used 'X', I wasn't too bothered. It's pretty weird how the 'soul factor' has bugged me more and more as time has worn on...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 174 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

Isn't Panther supposed to introduce a new (or heavily updated) Finder?

I certainly hope so. Since osX was released we haven't seen much improvement in the finder. It has gotten a bit faster and some bugs have been squished out, but there haven't been any real improvements to the look and not at least to the "feel" of the finder. While X has gained a lot of new features and improvements all over, the finder has gotten a lot less of attention it seems. So I hope that Apple has been working on a replacement for some time now, and maybe have been "secretly" rewriting the finder from the ground or maybe they've rewritten the NeXT "finder" to give enough of a "mac-feel" to be released to the mac-faithful.

So what would a new finder add "feel"-wise? Much of the feel ,in my opinion, has to do with responsiveness and speed of the finder. It sometimes seems very slow when compared to the old os8/9 finder that was very responsive, at least as far as I can remember not been using it for quite a while. So speed is an area where it could be improved quite a lot over the current version. So, what else could be improved?
  • Reply 175 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

So what would a new finder add "feel"-wise? Much of the feel ,in my opinion, has to do with responsiveness and speed of the finder. It sometimes seems very slow when compared to the old os8/9 finder that was very responsive, at least as far as I can remember not been using it for quite a while. So speed is an area where it could be improved quite a lot over the current version. So, what else could be improved? [/B]

The way it handles network volumes needs some real help. In particular how it handles a Windows environment. If Thursby can do it cleanly, there's no reason why Apple can't.
  • Reply 176 of 770
    I hope Apple can leverage the 970 and modern graphic cards such as the 9700 to enhance the Mac GUI...not just with useless eye-candy...but functional candy.

Apple are the ones beating the 'Quartz Extreme' drum...so let's see what it can do.

Do we really know what modern hardware is capable of? After picking up my jaw from watching the Half-Life 2 20 minute demonstration...all I can say is, 'What are you waiting for Apple?' A 970 and a 9700 should leave Apple with no excuse. This is a real opportunity. This kind of power should facilitate something extraordinary. A chance to create some momentum for growth.

Let's have true Hardware/Software integration and something really revolutionary with the Finder. Something that really defines the 'new' Apple from Xp. Something so visionary, so easy to use, so elegant, so jaw-dropping that there can be no doubt of 'Panther' leaving Xp eating clunky Fisher Price plastic nurnies.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 177 of 770
    My bro is going to WWDC! So: hello EARLY PANTHER COPY!!!!!
  • Reply 178 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

My bro is going to WWDC! So: hello EARLY PANTHER COPY!!!!!

You lucky dog! So when can we expect the first screenshots to arrive then?
  • Reply 179 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

You lucky dog! So when can we expect the first screenshots to arrive then?

As soon as I can! But first, I have a question: Can I have a separate partition on my HD for Panther?
  • Reply 180 of 770
    visigothevisigothe Posts: 81member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

As soon as I can! But first, I have a question: Can I have a separate partition on my HD for Panther?

That shouldn't be a problem, and as a matter of fact, I'd do just that. There is no telling what the beta version will do to your Filesystem. Better to go with a new partition, or better still... a clean new drive.