Wwdc

Comments

• Reply 181 of 770
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    Clean new drive, not a partition.

If Panther is full of FileSystem changes, there's no telling what a preview version might do to a Jaguar disk. IT might just make it unusable for Jaguar, or it might create a whole bunch of invisible files that are visible in Jag, but not in Panther, or it may just work wonderfully.

Plan for the worst (Panther Preview will require drive reformat to install) and hope for the best (Sure, just install it on any HFS+ volume andpick the OS you want from the Startup DIsk Prefpane).
  • Reply 182 of 770
    silvergunsilvergun Posts: 62member
    silverguns taken from the video game radiant silvergun..as for the masterbation. i'll keep quiet about it in future comments.
  • Reply 183 of 770
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member

May 27 1998, Netscape posts profit

Netscape beat market expectations by posting a small profit for the second quarter of 1998. The company was struggling in the wake of an aggressive attack by Microsoft. Ultimately, Netscape's recovery was too late: AOL purchased the company in late 1998.
  • Reply 184 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

i'll keep quiet about it in future comments.

I should if I were you.

Keep the updates coming, Netro'. I'm enjoying them. Much better and informative than some count down threads we've had in the past.

If Macdoobie is to be believed...those 970 Towers are being packed and stacked for a massive inventory clearance at or after WWDC.

New York, New York...my kinda city...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 185 of 770
    Thanks Lemon

According to ThinkSecret there seems to be changes for the better in Apples attitude towards developers which has not been so good in the past.

Quote:

"Evangelism" thriving at Apple Developer Relations

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

May 26, 2003 - A number of third-party developers report that they're observing changes at Apple Developer Relations -- changes for the better.

Developers say that the Apple division, tasked with supporting the Mac developer community, has taken on a more receptive and inviting tone in recent months, allowing more access than previously.

"They're being a lot better than they were," one developer said, speculating that the change in tone was the result of complaints from the developer community. Some developers -- large and small -- haven't had an easy transition to Mac OS X, hampered by insufficient documentation, poor support from Apple, and a lack of pre-release seeds for testing.

The same developers who had trouble getting firm technical answers from Apple in the past, now report that the group is taking on a more active role, with the appearance of holding more interest in developers' efforts and concerns.

Developers also report an escalation in the number of "evangelists" at Apple Developer Relations, particularly in the last year. A significant number of representatives there hold the title, both in specific areas such as FireWire, Bluetooth, Rendezvous and USB, and also broader areas like software and "user experience."

Apple is extending its evangelism to the enterprise, where it's continuing to try to determine which software applications are the "deal-breakers" for companies, and then attempting to woo the developers of those applications to Mac OS X.

• Reply 186 of 770
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Well, they could certainly woo Autocad, Xsi and Discreet's Max. 25% more sales/customers for Alias as of Mac OS X support.

Worth it..? I'd say. Where else do you get a 25% boost to your normal profits?

Hmmm. I don't know why Apple doesn't buy one of the 3D app' people.

Studio Max? Yank the PC version? I'd like to see the look on their smug 'Discreet' faces.

Xsi? Used by ILM.

Maya?

Lightwave?

Cinema? The hot 'new' kid and closing in fast on Max and LW?

Hmmm.

It's nice to see more receptive evangelism coming to Apple. A trend going hand in hand with those nice little feedback tabs on Apple's website. I've noticed a bit of a change since Apple got that Kerris chap formerly of Alias. I remember Steve inviting him to debut Maya on Mac at Macworld and thinking, 'If they could get more guys like this working on promoting the Mac...' Seems to be working...

If they want to know what the deal breakers are...what better way than to find out and...listen!

See? Aint so hard, eh Mr. Jobs?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 187 of 770
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    WWDC Exhibittor Hall to Open early.

Quote:

The exhibit hall for WWDC normally opens later in the day, but this year Xplain will open the exhibits as soon as Apple CEO Steve Jobs is finished his opening keynote address.
  • Reply 188 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The change in developer relations, if true, is so welcome and so long overdue that it could make a big difference in the future of the platform all by itself. In fairness to Apple, they've been moving in this direction in fits and starts since the release of OS X (free developer tools with every copy of the system! yay!), but more is better.

One thing that I'll give Bill Gates: He realized the importance of pampering your developer base early on. Apple's relationship with its developers has ranged from chilly to adversarial, historically. That's not how you grow a platform.

Now they just need to keep it up, make it a part of the culture there, and things will get interesting.
  • Reply 189 of 770
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The change in developer relations, if true, is so welcome and so long overdue that it could make a big difference in the future of the platform all by itself. In fairness to Apple, they've been moving in this direction in fits and starts since the release of OS X (free developer tools with every copy of the system! yay!), but more is better.

One thing that I'll give Bill Gates: He realized the importance of pampering your developer base early on. Apple's relationship with its developers has ranged from chilly to adversarial, historically. That's not how you grow a platform.

Now they just need to keep it up, make it a part of the culture there, and things will get interesting.

What was NeXT's developer relationship like? Perhaps this improvement is a result of that influence. It is definitely long overdue.
  • Reply 190 of 770
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I remeber they were not called "evangelists" they were called "adovcates" if i recall correctly.
  • Reply 191 of 770
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    This also sounds like very good news. We've heard of reports of Apple getting processors in already and also reports of the motherboard manufacture. Where there is smoke, there is fire as the saying goes. WWDC will be something special to remember in Mac history. We'll be talking about it to our grandchildren I think
  • Reply 192 of 770
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

What was NeXT's developer relationship like? Perhaps this improvement is a result of that influence. It is definitely long overdue.

I don't know. I've run Mathematica on a NeXT box in college, and browsed the BSD source with some friends on a NeXT Cube, but that's the extent of my interaction with them.

If it is a result of the NeXT culture, it apparently took a while to seep into Apple Developer Relations.
  • Reply 193 of 770
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Besides the obvious massive file system/Finder overhaul which I have a feeling will be awesome, lots needs work.

1. Open/Save dialogue boxes. The 8.5 Navigation menu, the ability to move things like you can in Windows, etc (perhaps via command-drag)

2. networking! SMB needs help (or rather smbfs) because mounting shares results in kernal panics for lots of people, it's not an isolated problem. Also, the way Networks are accessed, like someone said it could be much cleaner. The "Network" icon in the "Computer" window currently doesn't work well. It should show all computers Connect To... does.

3. GUI. First it needs to be uniform. In some Brushed Metal apps the window widgets are recessed, in others they aren't. And QuickTime is "smooth" while most other apps have a texture to the metal. I prefer the look of QuickTime with the regular buttons and smooth metal, personally. I also wish Apple would can Metal but until then Metallifizer is good enough. Which brings me to Themes. I can dream! A nice thing would be to at least include a Color Picker for "Accents" like in OS 9's Appearance. That way besides just Aqua and Graphite we could pick any color to match our iMac, for example, or that new darker blue in the "Panther pics" which I really like.

A few small things I hope Panther fixes:

-The lag when I click on a folder in the Dock, like my hard drive's Applications folder. Even with many subfolders I divided it up into it lags a few seconds.

-The "custom icon bug" Kali (Keda? started with K) also noted. When I change icons folders on my desktop they don't actually change until I log back in. Weird.

-The bug when you create a new folder in list view and its name isn't highlighted (so you can't give it a name without first highlighting, you can do this in regular icon view and it's nice especially when you can't see the folder.)

-An option to "Save and Shutdown" or "Hibernate" where you save the RAM contents to your harddrive on a PowerBook / iBook and thus save battery. This would solve the OS X sleep drain on the battery, and since it was in some OS 9 builds it wouldn't be too much to add would it?

-scheduled startup and shutdown like in OS 9

-Turn off menu blinking!!!! Like since forever

-Finder slowness

-Labels

-Spring loaded folders...hah just kidding!

That "Minimize in Place" concept bandied about a while ago looked REALLY cool.

Silver you are +5, Funny.
  • Reply 194 of 770

May 28 1937, Golden Gate

The Golden Gate Bridge opened to vehicular traffic on this day in 1937. One of the world's largest single-span suspension bridges, the Golden Gate Bridge was designed by Clifford Paine. Paine submitted the final blueprints for approval in 1930. With the official design completed, it took over three years for the builders to attain the approval of the military, the city financiers, and the voting public. Construction of the bridge commenced on January 5, 1933. The bridge's aesthetics were influenced greatly by an assisting architect named Irving Morrow. Morrow had no experience building bridges, but he convinced Paine to adopt many of the Golden Gate's most striking features. It was his idea for the portal bracings above the roadway to diminish in size as they climbed, thereby creating the effect of heightening the bridge. The height of the towers over the water is a breathtaking 746 feet, and the length of the suspended structure is 6,450 feet. Over eighty thousand miles of wire went into the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. Morrow was also the driving force behind the bridge's striking color, international orange; he believed a warm color should be used to contrast with the cold tones of the surrounding land. The Golden Gate Bridge cost the community nearly $35 million during its five-year construction. Its name is derived from the body of water over which it spans, Golden Strait. The "gold" comes from the strait's location at the mouth of the North Bay, beyond which lies the gold of California. Other have mentioned that the Golden Gate Bridge is the Gateway to the Land of the Setting Sun, but they didn't mention this until nearly thirty years after the bridge was originally erected.
  • Reply 195 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

WWDC Exhibittor Hall to Open early.

Quote:

The exhibit hall for WWDC normally opens later in the day, but this year Xplain will open the exhibits as soon as Apple CEO Steve Jobs is finished his opening keynote address.

People, this is huge. More from the above link:

"Xplain Corp., managers of Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) Exhibit Fair, announced today that the 2003 Exhibit Fair has become one of the largest in WWDC history. Xplain also said today that the hours of operation for the Exhibit Fair have been extended, giving showgoers more opportunity to visit company booths.

Xplain management said that over 60 companies have signed up to exhibit at this year's event, which is already more than signed up to exhibit in 2002 and there is still a month to go before WWDC starts for more companies to sign up.

The exhibit hall for WWDC normally opens later in the day, but this year Xplain will open the exhibits as soon as Apple CEO Steve Jobs is finished his opening keynote address."

Sounds to me like a very MacWorld Expo-ish thing to do. Steve announces 970 Power Macs at the Keynote and then everybody rushes into the hall to check them out in person. WWDC was moved for a reason.
  • Reply 196 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

WWDC was moved for a reason.

Yeah, I'm sure Apple did not do it just to get our hopes up too much or to piss of the developers The anticipation is building...
  • Reply 197 of 770
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Correct me if I am wrong, WWDC is for developers, correct? However, if the release date for the 970 was to soon after the WWDC wouldn't the developers already need access to the 970 to develope apps to it's specs? So, would it be safe to assume that if the 970 is announced at the WWDC then the developers don't already have access to it, and the release of it would be later than the rumoured Aug time period???
  • Reply 198 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Correct me if I am wrong, WWDC is for developers, correct?

Correct Quote:

However, if the release date for the 970 was to soon after the WWDC wouldn't the developers already need access to the 970 to develope apps to it's specs?

That depends. Some selected important/trusted dev's probably have access to pre-production/prototypes 970's already to make sure that the new machines don't brake anything major, or so the software companies can distribute patches as soon as the 970 is released. I guess most apps would run flawless on the new powermac.Quote:

So, would it be safe to assume that if the 970 is announced at the WWDC then the developers don't already have access to it, and the release of it would be later than the rumoured Aug time period???

Look above. Major dev's probably have access already, and Apple has access, plus a lot of apps works unchanged, so a lot of software probably should be able to run on the 970 right from the start. But if the machines are released at the WWDC, but is not shipping until august, that would give developers some time to iron out minor bugs that early adopters will encounter. Hey, that's the fun of being a early adopter. Nothing's like the smell of a new undescribed bug early in the morning
  • Reply 199 of 770
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Correct me if I am wrong, WWDC is for developers, correct? However, if the release date for the 970 was to soon after the WWDC wouldn't the developers already need access to the 970 to develope apps to it's specs? So, would it be safe to assume that if the 970 is announced at the WWDC then the developers don't already have access to it, and the release of it would be later than the rumoured Aug time period???

Here's what I think:

Power Mac sales currently suck.

If no 970 machines are introduced on the 23rd, then they are going to suck even more, worse and worse every day until a 970 machine finally is introduced.

Steve must do something.

Announce the 970 Power Macs preloaded with final Panther with availability in August. Have three prototype boxes running the same preview copy of Panther the developers will take home with them on the exhibit floor. Long lines to touch these holy grails form with over the shoulder digital pics popping up on dozens of .mac sites leading to their suspension for exceding bandwith limits.

Current G4 Power Mac boxes receive massive price cuts and are cleared out in July.

Equally massive preorders for the 970 boxen build up generating magazine cover buzz for the Cupertino mothership.

By the time August (the 31st, of course) rolls around the developers have had two months to tweak their apps and the 970 Power Macs hit the street to long lines at every Apple retail store.

The only price Steve must pay for this rosey scenario is really bad Power Mac sales for six weeks or so. But that's going to happen anyway, so it might as well happen for a reason.
  • Reply 200 of 770
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Steve must do something.

He's probably all over Apple-campus right now kicking people's asses to make them work harder