What is your church like?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm with LiquidR. The only time I feel at ease in a church is when it's empty and I can just meditate on things a bit, then pray.
  • Reply 22 of 107
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    churches arent for prayin'... whats between you and your god occurs at home... at church, its you and your kind...

or some such nonsense...
  • Reply 23 of 107
    I don't respect anybody and my church is super fab-magico. It has secret passages, smoke machines, lasers, dinosaurs, a dungeon, a pirate lagoon, three wax figures of dead presidents, and a giant rat we keep in an old egg crate. We once held service in a restaurant. We all met up there and filled every single table. Then in between bites of Vegan Tofu Bread Crumb Pizza Burgers we held our secret rites and rituals. When it came time to pay we presented them with one get out of hell free card for each waiter, waitress and cook and then left.
  • Reply 24 of 107
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Quote:

I don't respect anybody and my church is super fab-magico. It has secret passages, smoke machines, lasers, dinosaurs, a dungeon, a pirate lagoon, three wax figures of dead presidents, and a giant rat we keep in an old egg crate. We once held service in a restaurant. We all met up there and filled every single table. Then in between bites of Vegan Tofu Bread Crumb Pizza Burgers we held our secret rites and rituals. When it came time to pay we presented them with one get out of hell free card for each waiter, waitress and cook and then left.

by Not Unlike Myself

Hell yeah!!! I think I could be down with a church like that, but only if it also allowed goody goody Pop stars to be freaky High Priests. Like Hall & Oates in bermuda shorts and bow ties handling snakes while standing in a kiddie pool filled with pudding.
  • Reply 25 of 107
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i am statistically catholic. only statistically. leave me alone and i leave you alone. i never go to the prost.. i mean protestant churches. and i really rarely go to even the catholic ones. i will eventually find some temples of my true internal harmony around here...
  • Reply 26 of 107
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

If you have a PC you can watch the service at FC

FellowshipChurch.com

Fellowship

Nice expensive church. Glad to see tax exempt dollars being put to good use. Of course, that pales in comparison to this modern day travesty:

http://math.ucsd.edu/~lyu/photography/Image84.jpg

Ridiculous. If they can afford that kind of architecture there is no reason for them to be stealing funds from the government by claiming tax exempt status.
  • Reply 27 of 107
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
  • Reply 28 of 107
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

If you have a PC you can watch the service at FC

FellowshipChurch.com

Also for the issue of dress at Church this is how I went today. Picture taken just mins ago.

Keep in mind it gets nice and hot here in Dallas.

Fellowship

first i'm just wondering, are you a father?

second of all, its hot but why not tan pants, nice colored tshirt, and for the love of god, u couldn't muster up some dress socks and shoes?

like i said it doesn't really matter but well i said my opinions before
  • Reply 29 of 107
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Raised as a Catholic.

Love Bach & Mozart. Still go to church at times, but I have outgrown the olde rituals..even though they are comforting...

I am a reader & believer of the URANTIA book so I get my spiritual life through that & through daily walking prayers & moments of meditation..

It does not replace the bible, but adds great depth & meaning to my spiritual life...

It is not an exageration to say it has had a profound effect on my way of living & seeing the universe.

http://www.urantia.org

http://www.truthbook.org
  • Reply 30 of 107
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    My church is called a "synagogue". It is a special kind of church for people called Jews. See, Christians are sort of Jews, but they believe also in this dude name Jesus. One could say, they are "Jews for Jesus."

Naw, seriously folks, I don't want to start nothing here
  • Reply 31 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

second of all, its hot but why not tan pants, nice colored tshirt, and for the love of god, u couldn't muster up some dress socks and shoes?

like i said it doesn't really matter but well i said my opinions before

why are you busting his balls on what he, or for that matter, anyone else wears to church? who gives a rats ass. as for you god types, my guess is that god doesn't give shit one way or another. he's probably way to busy with important stuff like figuring out who's naughty and nice then wasting his/her time enforcing the dress code at the door.
  • Reply 32 of 107
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't go to church, but I'm with Fellowship on this: I never got hung up on the whole "dress code" thing (when I went as a youngster and early teens) and I would like to imagine that God is perhaps looking a bit beyond your clothing and hair-do.

I'm way more impressed by - and admire - those who live their lives by what they believe and exhibit it through their deeds, words and actions. If they're wearing shorts or have long hair or some funky 'do, what do I care? I know far too many people who simply "play the part", thinking that putting on a tie or a nice dress and sitting in a pew for an hour on Sunday morning somehow erases or undoes all the low-grade, shady behavior they spent the previous six days engaging in.

I don't dig on that hypocrisy at all. And I've never respected that sort of thing in a person.

When I was 14 or so, I went to this church with a friend of mine for an entire summer. It had a real "that rock and roll is the Devil's music!" and "you better cut that hair, young man!" kinda vibe to it. I hated it IMMEDIATELY.

But I came to find out over the years (was still in contact with my buddy throughout high school) that several prominent members (those doing the loudest screaming and carrying on, of course) were stepping out on their wives, had shady business or tax situations and had a fondness for the drink.

I guess my righteous mid-80's mullet and Telecaster ownership wasn't THAT bad after all?

• Reply 33 of 107
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I don't go to church, but I'm with Fellowship on this: I never got hung up on the whole "dress code" thing (when I went as a youngster and early teens) and I would like to imagine that God is perhaps looking a bit beyond your clothing and hair-do.

I'm way more impressed by - and admire - those who live their lives by what they believe and exhibit it through their deeds, words and actions. If they're wearing shorts or have long hair or some funky 'do, what do I care? I know far too many people who simply "play the part", thinking that putting on a tie or a nice dress and sitting in a pew for an hour or Sunday morning somehow erases or undoes all the low-grade, shady behavior they spent the previous six days engaging in.

I don't dig on that hypocrisy at all. And I've never respected that sort of thing in a person.

When I was 14 or so, I went to this church with a friend of mine for an entire summer. It had a real "that rock and roll is the Devil's music!" and "you better cut that hair, young man!" kinda vibe to it. I hated it IMMEDIATELY.

But I came to find out over the years (was still in contact with my buddy throughout high school) that several prominent members (those doing the loudest screaming and carrying on, of course) were stepping out on their wives, had shady business or tax situations and had a fondness for the drink.

I guess my righteous mid-80's mullet and Telecaster ownership wasn't THAT bad after all?

I agree all the way man!

Fellowship Church even has motorcycle riders fellowship that meets to give food and clothes to needy children. I don't care if you have a tatoo or what ever.... I could care less as could Jesus.

Too many people in Church get all frustrated over the small stuff and lose sight of the bigger picture. We should love one another no matter our looks or past. Church should not be a country club with social click to it. Church should invite all to come in.

Fellowship
  • Reply 34 of 107
    would you dress up to a job interview at a big business?

i assume yes, why? perhaps out of respect?

well i BET you that god does not care what you wear, but why not wear your best OUT of respect? best does not mean suit and tie, but if you can clean urself up slightly and perhaps not wear rags, don't you think you should?
  • Reply 35 of 107
    Quote:

No I am not. I would love to be one day.

In the fall I dress with pants and nice shirt etc. Dress shoes and all.

In the summer many wear casual short cut clothes. I sort of roll with the flow at my Church.

Church should not be a place where people concern themselves with the question of if they look like they "fit" in or not.

Fellowship
  • Reply 36 of 107
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    See this is why I think why Christianity is dieing in the Western world, cuz so many so called Christians are so hung up on the superficial, the outer dressing of the faith (the type of music, what people are wearing, etc...) Non-Christians see this and think, man what a f***ing joke. This is why Islam is growing so hard core, it deals with things that are more real, sure a good number of Islamicists are armed paramilitary groups hell-bent on bombing US interests, but at least their faith is focused on something more substantial than what Jane Doe wore to church. This is ridiculous, this part of the reason I feel so uncomfortable with others of my own faith.
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Quote:

would you dress up to a job interview at a big business?

i assume yes, why? perhaps out of respect?

well i BET you that god does not care what you wear, but why not wear your best OUT of respect? best does not mean suit and tie, but if you can clean urself up slightly and perhaps not wear rags, don't you think you should?

I understand your point and respect it. I would only submit I have never worn rags to church but I did see a very poor family at Fellowship one time and I do not think God saw them as being disrespectful to him.

I think people should get over the same old forever old issues that some people choose to get all bent over and be glad in the day the lord hath made. Be glad for those who come to church no matter how they dress. Be glad for each day you can be free and serve others.

Fellowship
  • Reply 38 of 107
    Quote:

I understand your point and respect it. I would only submit I have never worn rags to church but I did see a very poor family at Fellowship one time and I do not think God saw them as being disrespectful to him.

I think people should get over the same old forever old issues that some people choose to get all bent over and be glad in the day the lord hath made. Be glad for those who come to church no matter how they dress. Be glad for each day you can be free and serve others.

Fellowship

i understand your point and respect it also, i have just grown up with that so feel that if you can look a little nicer its more respectful to do

but you are absolutly right, i dont think it REALLY matters, i 100% believe god doesn't look poorly upon if u come dressed in a washcloth, but i think its more respectful if u wear some of ur nicest (just personal feeling, deep rooted, not sure why)
  • Reply 39 of 107
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

See this is why I think why Christianity is dieing in the Western world, cuz so many so called Christians are so hung up on the superficial, the outer dressing of the faith (the type of music, what people are wearing, etc...) Non-Christians see this and think, man what a f***ing joke. This is why Islam is growing so hard core, it deals with things that are more real, sure a good number of Islamicists are armed paramilitary groups hell-bent on bombing US interests, but at least their faith is focused on something more substantial than what Jane Doe wore to church. This is ridiculous, this part of the reason I feel so uncomfortable with others of my own faith.

I am a Christian and I sort of agree with what you are saying. I do agree 100% that in Christian circles where what you mention above is all they concern themselves with they are indeed becoming a dead bunch. I would say in Churches where the message is the message of God and things like clothes and style of music are not the items for judgement that in such Churches be it Fellowship Church or Hillsong or others they are growing by the thousands and keep having to knock the walls out farther and farther.

I think people should get over their self-rightious judging of how others look or choose to worship.

Live and let live.

Love all..

Fellowship
  • Reply 40 of 107
    Quote:

i understand your point and respect it also, i have just grown up with that so feel that if you can look a little nicer its more respectful to do

but you are absolutly right, i dont think it REALLY matters, i 100% believe god doesn't look poorly upon if u come dressed in a washcloth, but i think its more respectful if u wear some of ur nicest (just personal feeling, deep rooted, not sure why)

I understand what you are saying completely. I respect that as well.

Fellowship