What is your church like?

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 107
    enaena Posts: 667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

The only religion going anywhere it seems are these independant churchs.

I can verify that from what I have seen---although still pre-millennial, they cannot seem to expand the parking lots fast enough.
  • Reply 102 of 107
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

I can verify that from what I have seen---although still pre-millennial, they cannot seem to expand the parking lots fast enough.

Fellowship Church has 140 acres!!! You should see all the parking!

Here is a little video clip if you have Windows media player.

Video link

Taken on a first Wed. service during the war. Fellowship Church makes the news often.

Fellowship
  • Reply 103 of 107
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    you know this whole church dressing up thing... its a wierd issue. I was watching cartoons and it hit me my old bible school lessons heh. As we all know jesus would be today's non-conformist, he ate levened bread on the sabbath, stuff like that. What I recall about dressing up is that somewhere in romans, it stated that your body is a temple to christ, and that it basically said to treat it accordingly, a lot of preachers in the pulpit envoke this script for drug abusers, and but maybe it also applies to clothes heh. But still there is a difference from my sunday best, to my business best. And for all you I hope business and church are seperate, unless you took up that cause for yourself.

i know its incredibly distasteful to quote the bible without giving the real chapter:verse but I am lazy today, phew what a day.
  • Reply 104 of 107
    Orthodox Christian

Here's my church's web site btw: http://www.westernorthodox.com St. Mark's Parish of Denver.

EDIT: Our church's clergy all use macs, too.
  • Reply 105 of 107
    ariari Posts: 126member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Immanuel Goldstein

In more ancient time, instrumental music was an integral and very important part of the worship taking place at the Miqdash (shrine) of Jerusalem, which was the only real place of Hebrew worship. According to a present-day Italian musician and ethno-musicilogue whose name I forgot, it had great influence on the music scene of the Near-East as well as on the Graeco-Roman music scene.

In the absence of a common single place of worship, after the Miqdash was destroyed, the synagogues became an ersatz to the shrine: a Miqdash me'att.

But the synagogue is basically a place of study, worship added afterward, no wonder in Central and Eastern Europe a synagogue is often called a Schul. And for various reasons, notably not to provoque the Gentiles, as well as to not become a substitute to the ?true? worship of the Levites, instrumental music was frowned upon.

It goes without saying that playing an instrument on the Shabbos is strictly ferboten among the traditionalist public.

[It's no wonder the Reform synagogues don't mind seeming like substitutes for the Miqdash, I mean they don't call it a ?Temple? for nothing.]

I much prefer not having the full musical accompaniment. I attend a Reform Temple, but there the only instrument is the human voice. I have attended large Reform Temples that have multiples cantors and many musicians but the sound is lacking, like something you would hear in a church, but in Hebrew.

Are you formally educated in Jewish traditions and culture, Immanuel Goldstein? You seem exceedingly knowledge judging from this and other posts you have made.
  • Reply 106 of 107
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ena

there is just something wrong with this post
  • Reply 107 of 107
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

there is just something wrong with this post

maybe that meant that they need larger parking lots as the people attending them have larger cars (because they take more space) ..?