AI gets in on the action

Comments

• Reply 101 of 375
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DiscoCow

Your point? Is there a particular emphasis on "shit" that I am not aware of?

I just think he forgot the link in the first post.
  • Reply 102 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

heh, did someone say 'smeagol'?

... but smeagol isn't a color... pink, black, green, blue... those are colors. one of these things is not like the other...

Well, pink is more than a color.
  • Reply 103 of 375
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

I just think he forgot the link in the first post.

Yeah, we've got that all fixed now.
  • Reply 104 of 375
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRG

Sorry for being dense, but couldn't 1.4 to 1.8 include 1.6? So there is no reason to beleive there is not a 1.6GHz processor. Personally I think there will be

Yes, it could include a possible 1.6. My apologies for not putting it into proper context or stating it more clearly. However, if memory serves me correctly (can't be sure this time of the morning, as I can't sleep due to back pain) the only 970 speeds actually mentioned by IBM specifically were 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8. Anything other then that is rumor thread speculation without substance. Even the "pulled" mention of 2.5 ghz was for a "laboratory chip" not something IBM expects to produce until the 970 actually moves to a smaller process.

None of us know for certain what will be delivered, until it is announced. The AI article merely deserves at least reasonable consideration of being potentially accurate until proven otherwise. They stated some very specific details. Only time will tell.

For AI to gain reputation, Apple must deliver almost exactly what they specified. After all they posted as "insider info" with specifics not as rumor.

The sad thing is that no matter what Apple delivers, a few individuals will insist on finding something to be disappointed about so they can blame Apple for it.
  • Reply 105 of 375
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Shaktai. Well done on the level-headed and solid posts.

AI are giving specs. Not rumours. And credit to AI for posting WHEN they've got something valid and watertight.

When they post...they hit home! I can take 'sparten' if that's the pay-off.

And you're right, Shaktai, the 'specs' are reasonable. There's nothing in there we wouldn't expect. Much of the PC guys have had for sometime already. 'Cept we get the 'G5' and an uber optimised Nividia/IBM/Apple mFb! AIN. That's my kinda 'AIM' alliance The speed ratios of 1.4 and 1.8 make sense. Get the machines out there first. Then the dual 1.8 will come as production ramps up at IBM's facility.

People will be falling over themselves for a 1.4 970 (equivalent of a Pentium 2.8/G4 2.8 gig.) for a current low end tower price. And the 1.8? Faster than anything Intel's shipping. A 3.6 gig G4/P4.

I suddenly thought, 'Holy crap!' after reading your post Shaktai. If the 970 is bumping in increments of '400'mhz...that means the next bump...maybe in the Autumn will reach 2.2 gighz! Extrapolate here...just in time to coincide with the release of...PANTHER!

Every '400'mhz bump will be like an 800mhz G4 bump! THAT is impressive! ie from 1.4 to 1.8 is a G4 bump of 800mhz...and from 1.8 to 2.2 is another 800mhz. That's 1.6 gighz bump in G4 performance in half a year if the 1.4 ships june 23rd and 2.2 ships September...AND...dual it. That's...3.2 gig bump in G4 performance from a single 1.4 970...in HALF A YEAR! READ IT AND WEEP, MOTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Intel? You listenin'!?!? WE OWN YA, WHO'S THE DADDY? WHO'S THE DADDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!

JD, get ready to bend over and j-peg! (You made me laugh my ass off with that post... Brad' sure made you suck it up big time. And with good bantered humility...you began limbering up...ehehehhhhheh.....)

Good posts, Shaktai. You made me think...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. I think this quote from somewhere above is coinciding quite nicely with the mystery of this 'customised' Apple mFb...and what neXt tech's maybe coming on tap from Apple. Hmmm. It looks like the time to buy maybe be September...(if you can wait, heh...) 2.2 970 duals with Panther, anybody? Some of those Next tech's sound awesome...

" Panther has many cool features. But the top 2 are 64-bit clean and stunning graphics.

Expect Quartz to get way more extreme. Think NeXT dimension times 4 <http://www.channelu.com/NeXT/Histor...6030/page4.html>. Think graphics co-processor. To compress backing stores, damage repair being offloaded...

All I can add is that new G4 tower owners will be pleasantly surprised And the 970 owners will be positively thrilled. Of course, users of older hardware will bitch (time to upgrade guys!). If you are into Media of any sort, the new hardware is definitely worth the upgrade... Dual 2.2 GHz at sub two-grand... Also hold off on those 15" Powerbook purchases 'til the end of summer... you never know

Also look for Renderman coming back to its roots... in a very surprising configuration specifically built for movie industry. Will definitely SHAKE the industry

All in all a lot of hardware niceties for the high-end pro market. I feel really sorry for SGI.

More NeXT time ..."

Which almost makes me think there may be a little truth to the hardware rumors.

A rumor is a rumor, but the same rumor from two places is... a rumor.
  • Reply 106 of 375
    ...and could it be...that at loooooooong last...that Steve Jobs is using his Pixar connectin to get Renderman on 'X' in Shake!??!? Maybe they're even in the market to buy Maya or Xsi 3!?!??

I think I need to rest...the excitement is too much. Things seem ready to explode for Apple in this next year!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 107 of 375
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Except for that bit about single CPUs. WTF? Apple really knows how to underperform sometimes. They need to hit a home run, and instead here they're aiming to get to 1st base on a walk.

Well, I guess Apple could produce a special "Junkyard Dog" edition especially for you.
  • Reply 108 of 375
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Well, I guess Apple could produce a special "Junkyard Dog" edition especially for you.

would that be the "dang, he broken his neck while trying to pleasure himself" model??

this is all good news coming from apple on the 23rd....preview of panther (great name), new chips, new enclosures....tis sweet...

i would be happier if apple would force a "removed at the request of apple" onto AI...but i believe...

hopefully, with the PM updated and finally able to compete with intel computers for speed and specs, now apple can update the portables and consumer machines too...between now and sept should see as much activity in hardware as we have been seeing in software updates...

i is happy

g
  • Reply 109 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Apple generally only C&Ds for photos.

Barto
  • Reply 110 of 375
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Man, you guys need to ratchet down your expectations a tad. If Apple doesn't intro the hottest machines, or ramp up as quickly as hoped for, then there's going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's exciting if it happens.

Here's hoping.
  • Reply 111 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Man, you guys need to ratchet down your expectations a tad. If Apple doesn't intro the hottest machines, or ramp up as quickly as hoped for, then there's going to be some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

It's exciting if it happens.

Here's hoping.

wailing and gnashing of teeth is always expected after any apple announcement by some...we will already hear the wailing if apple doesn't release a dual PM immediately...even though the 970 will have a wonderful MB and kick the G4 arse...

so i say "raise those expectations" and wail on brothers, wail on

g
  • Reply 112 of 375
    Wonder who's going to get the first 'G5' photo? Macdoobie?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 113 of 375
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

That song is the theme song for the Australian yeast spread otherwise known as "Vegimite". The song was written in the 1950s (or around there).

When beer is fermented, a black yeast goo sticks to the edges of the vats. This is scraped off, packaged in rather tiny glass jars by the good people at Phillip Morris (owners of Kraft) and sold as Vegimite.

Millions of Australians eat it every morning on toast and every lunchtime in sandwiches. Australians, having been raised on the stuff, love it. Everyone else in the world considers it to be outside the classification "food".

Barto

Yeah, and Vegimite is a poor excuse for Marmite which has been eaten by the Brits for a Century or so...
  • Reply 114 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Apple generally only C&Ds for photos.

Barto

...and maybe an iSync article or two from ThinkSecret.
  • Reply 115 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Well, pink is more than a color.

Just to follow up. Pink was 10.2.6 and Smeagol seems to be 10.2.7:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=3
  • Reply 116 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Just to follow up. Pink was 10.2.6 and Smeagol seems to be 10.2.7:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...0&pagenumber=3

i don't know about using smeagol as a code name...too close to smegma for my taste....

g

yes the pun was intended
  • Reply 117 of 375
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    I have long thought that smegma is possibly the funniest word it the english language.

Smegma.....

Ha!
  • Reply 118 of 375
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Dual cores, I though Moki was implying something about dual cores. Also, this machine sounds too much like what Dorsal M had once mentioned.
  • Reply 119 of 375
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I'm not saying that there'll never be dual cores, just that we won't see them straight away. We'll surely see dual-CPU boxen before we see dual-cored beasts.

As for moki, I know he made some tantalising remarks about "sandbagging". I presume that this relates to IBM understating the performance of the 970 in some respect, or perhaps hinting at the arrival of groovy new go-faster stuff on the mobo.

But I suppose that anyone's guess is as good as mine.
  • Reply 120 of 375
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

[AppleInsider] have no true insider sources...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!

Better start working on those flexibility exercises, Junkyard Dawg!

Escher