AI gets in on the action

Comments

• Reply 81 of 375
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The song is still used in Vegimite ads today. The visual portion of the ads are of young children with smiles and rosy cheeks running around playing. Some of them are eating vegimite on toast and all of them have vegimite smeared around their lips.

That is, they are all very, VERY happy that they are eating Vegimite.

We are all very, VERY happy that the Power Mac G5 is two short weeks away.

I love Vegimite. But I can understand that if you arn't Australian, it is as disgusting as the "delicacies" scene from Indiana Jones.

Barto

PS Algol, my name is Barto not Brad
  • Reply 82 of 375
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Millions of Australians eat it every morning on toast and every lunchtime in sandwiches. Australians, having been raised on the stuff, love it. Everyone else in the world considers it to be outside the classification "food".

Barto

Bingo -- there's the trick, if there's one. Subsitute "Macintosh Platform" in general for Vegemite, and "PC Users" as the "everyone else in the world."
  • Reply 83 of 375
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blue2kdave

Hey, even AppleInsider is getting in on the G5 speculation. Personally I think this sounds like a retread of other rumors, but hey, its 'homegrown' news.

Comments...

LOL!!!

This is the same AI that said the LCD iMac would have a G3. I wonder where they pulled that info out of?

No better than MOSR, IMO. All the AI writers do is scan Future Hardware for ideas and then summarize it into a "rumor". They have no true insider sources...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!
  • Reply 84 of 375
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!

Dude, it's just a computer rumor. Don't you think that that may be a bit extreme?
  • Reply 85 of 375
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

LOL!!!

This is the same AI that said the LCD iMac would have a G3. I wonder where they pulled that info out of?

No better than MOSR, IMO. All the AI writers do is scan Future Hardware for ideas and then summarize it into a "rumor". They have no true insider sources...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!

Actually, you are quite wrong. Unfortunately, I can not give you hard proof because of the nature of this information.

AppleInsider is staffed by very different people today than before. You'll note that the postings on the front have been sparse, but the more recent posts that are there are correct. iTunes Music Service ring a bell?

There are a couple insider sources here and there's information that they still don't want us to divulge yet. They have a damn good reason for that, too, and we oblige. Anyone else remember workerbee? Still, we're putting out what little they think is okay to share right now without compromising their own safety.
  • Reply 86 of 375
    Quote:

They have no true insider sources...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!

If you're flexible enough to do that... then why arn't you doing that right now like every other male in the world would?

And Brad, I feel a tinge of pride whenever I read about how I am scum involved in corporate espionage in the local papers' IT sections.

Barto
  • Reply 87 of 375
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    you are only scum involved...if you are a heavy participant.

I used to be all about this mac speculation stuff..but I lately dropped out. I lurk a lot not, and post whenever.

I'm not part of the scum you describe

well...maybe

• Reply 88 of 375
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    "If you're flexible enough to do that... then why arn't you doing that right now like every other male in the world would?

Barto"

Speak for yourself Barto

I hope the info. turns out to be true but....would an owner of a dual 1.42 go for a single G5?
  • Reply 89 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Speak for yourself Barto

Are you saying that if you could orally pleasure yourself, you wouldn't? I know I would!
  • Reply 90 of 375
    jonathanjonathan Posts: 312member
    heh, did someone say 'smeagol'?

... but smeagol isn't a color... pink, black, green, blue... those are colors. one of these things is not like the other...

and junky, i pulled that G3 iMac shit out of my ass, brother.
  • Reply 91 of 375
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Well I've been posting my thoughts a bit more then usual already, so might as well post my thoughts on this.

The new Power Mac G5s will sport a completely new motherboard design utilizing DDR 400 RAM as well as AGP 8x graphics, FireWire 800 (FireWire 2), and USB 2.0, sources said. "In the box" connectivity among the news systems is based on Hypertransport -- a universal chip-to-chip interconnect developed by AMD and partners -- which provides 64-bit addressing and will replace Apple's multilevel_bus architecture found in current systems. This royalty-free technology sports a low manufacturing cost and is capable of transferring data at up to 12.8 Gigabytes per second.

Sounds good so far. Interestingly Jack of MacWhispers mentioned in a post in another forum (Spymac I think) something to the effect that the system board was jointly developed by IBM, Apple and nVidea to maximize performance. If memory serves me correct, nVidea is an AMD partner and also an active member of the hypertransport consortium. (And yes I know that some folks don't like Jack, because of his past mistakes, but he has had some legit hits on rumors). -- This also would seem to uphold the idea of Apple seeking out the best scalable technologies without exhorbitant expense. A way to keep the cost down without compromise.

The new Power Macs will be powered by IBM's 64 bit PPC 970 processor, otherwise known to Apple Marketing as the the "G5." Initial offerings of the Power Mac G5 are said to boast 1.4 to 1.8GHz, single core PPC 970 processors, with the possibility of a dual 1.8GHz chips shortly thereafter.

Dang this stirred up a hornet's nest in some other forums. Still it makes sense to me. I can't find any "source" that indicated a 1.6ghz chip ever existed. Near as I can tell, that spec was fabricated in the rumor forums as wishful thinking or as someone's repeated assertions that "it had to exist". So I can see a 1.4 entry level, with a 1.8 mid level single (the two chip speeds mentioned by IBM) available immediatly or within days, followed shortly (I speculate within a month) by a dual 1.8mhz, and yes I read that as dual processor, not dual core. The writing was a little awkward. Sorry no 2.0 or 2.2 boxes any time soon. Yes the chips probably exist already, but not in sufficient volume. Maybe a speed bump before Christmas.

To accommodate the new motherboard architecture, Apple has developed a modified Power Mac G5 enclosure, which is said to be more square and compact than the current Power Mac G4's deep, rectangular form-factor. It lacks the 4 curved handles found on current units, but sports a single USB and a single FireWire 800 port on the front of the casing, with additional ports in the rear.

Now I see this as indicating that the new box will be "less deep" thereby giving it more a square side profile. Can't see how some folks get "cube" out of this. MacBidouille I think mentioned long rectagular Motherboards. Well this description doesn't exlude that. I just opened my Quicksilver 800 and we have a square mobo in a rectangular profile, so there should be no problem with a well designed rectangular mobo in a more square profile. Especially if they "thin" the design a little, you probably wouldn't want your mobo competing for space with HD's and power supplies so a rectangular mobo might make sense.

It also states that it lacks the "4 curved" handles found on current units. It doesn't state that it does not have any handles, only that it doesn't have the current 4 "curved" handles. However, if anyone could design a pleasent to look at box with or without handles that doesn't look like every other computer out there, then I am sure Ives is the guy who could do it. The port descriptions, make sense without being overkill. Back ports comparable to current models with a single USB and Firewire added up front for convenience purposes, by popular request.

According to sources, Apple plans to make the Power Mac G5 available to the public following their introduction on June 23rd. These initial units will ship with Mac OS 10.2, and hence, will not be optimized for the 64 bit PPC 970 processor. Consumers who purchase these Power Mac G5s will receive a coupon for a free copy of Mac OS 10.3 (Panther), which will ship in September and will be optimized for the new 64 bit processor.

Okay, we know that the Fishkill fab is probably not yet up to full production based upon the very little bit of information from IBM, but possibly ramping up at a steady rate with full production expected in Q3. This may explain the singles available immediatly with the dual being delayed by just a little. Still better then the release timetables we have been accustomed to with Motorola. Shipping immediatly with a patched 10.2 Jaguar, and a free upgrade to 10.3 Panther when available, just makes good marketing sense.

No guarantees, but what I see in the AI article, is about what I expected we would see realistically. Darn I'm tired now. I hope that all made some sense. And that is my nickel's worth to go along with the G5.

EDIT: Guess I might as well throw in my wild-ass guesses as to price too.

1.4 ghz single - $1499

1.8 ghz single - $1999

1.8 ghz Dual - $2799
  • Reply 92 of 375
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Actually, you are quite wrong. Unfortunately, I can not give you hard proof because of the nature of this information.

AppleInsider is staffed by very different people today than before. You'll note that the postings on the front have been sparse, but the more recent posts that are there are correct. iTunes Music Service ring a bell?

There are a couple insider sources here and there's information that they still don't want us to divulge yet. They have a damn good reason for that, too, and we oblige. Anyone else remember workerbee? Still, we're putting out what little they think is okay to share right now without compromising their own safety.

Whoa, really? You mean that the crew that gave us the G3 flat-panel iMac is no longer in service? Brad, that is some sweet music to my ears! Except for that bit about single CPUs. WTF? Apple really knows how to underperform sometimes. They need to hit a home run, and instead here they're aiming to get to 1st base on a walk. All the work developers (and Apple) have put in to optimizing their apps for dual CPU performance, and all the heavy dual CPU optimizations in OS X, all that brilliant work Apple is going to throw away for the introduction of the 970? That's pathetic! A dual 970 would have hit the market like a nuclear explosion! Why would Apple not want such an impact? It would be worth waiting a few months for sure! WTF?!?!?

Heh, looks like I'd better start limbering up. You are quite right, Barto, if I could do that I'd never leave my bedroom. But I'm good for my word and when single-processor high-end Powermacs are announced I'll be doubled-up into a pretzel in bed, doing the deed. Hope it's ok if I only manage to give the tip a few licks. If I had a digital camera I'd post some jpegs her for proof, but I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.
  • Reply 93 of 375
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Shaktai

Well I've been posting my thoughts a bit more then usual already, so might as well post my thoughts on this.

The new Power Macs will be powered by IBM's 64 bit PPC 970 processor, otherwise known to Apple Marketing as the the "G5." Initial offerings of the Power Mac G5 are said to boast 1.4 to 1.8GHz, single core PPC 970 processors, with the possibility of a dual 1.8GHz chips shortly thereafter.

Dang this stirred up a hornet's nest in some other forums. Still it makes sense to me. I can't find any "source" that indicated a 1.6ghz chip ever existed. Near as I can tell, that spec was fabricated in the rumor forums as wishful thinking or as someone's repeated assertions that "it had to exist". So I can see a 1.4 entry level, with a 1.8 mid level single (the two chip speeds mentioned by IBM) available immediatly or within days, followed shortly (I speculate within a month) by a dual 1.8mhz, and yes I read that as dual processor, not dual core. The writing was a little awkward. Sorry no 2.0 or 2.2 boxes any time soon. Yes the chips probably exist already, but not in sufficient volume. Maybe a speed bump before Christmas.

Sorry for being dense, but couldn't 1.4 to 1.8 include 1.6? So there is no reason to beleive there is not a 1.6GHz processor. Personally I think there will be
  • Reply 94 of 375
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    I agree with Shaktai. "Dual 1.8" would most probably mean "dual CPUs" not "dual cores".

I can only assume that there's a lot more to developing a dual core chip than halving the number of chips on a wafer.... By comparison, a dual-CPU friendly mobo would be a relatively routine development, I would think.
  • Reply 95 of 375
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

If I had a digital camera I'd post some jpegs her for proof

Thank you sweet Jesus, he doesn't have a digital camera.
  • Reply 96 of 375
    well... my 2 cents...the 970 will come and soon... also while looking at the schedule for wwdc i noticed way to many TBA blocks... this could mean.

a. 64bit project builder type of stuff

b. how to harness raw speed a la 970/64 bit

c. and all the panther we could possibly fit in without telling you...

d. all of the above

cheers,

m2

i feel a dual 1.8 970 will cost around 3299... us dollars

(and thats with 1gig/200/9700gfxcard)
  • Reply 97 of 375
    http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/tuesday.html

shit.... here is the online schedule!

cheers,

m2
  • Reply 98 of 375
    Quote:

They have no true insider sources...if it turns out that they do, then I'll suck my own dick!

Remember to take pictures! We can sell them for a high price and buy some PM 970's for the money!
  • Reply 99 of 375
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

pink, black, green, blue... those are colors. one of these things is not like the other...

Return of the Black Mac!?

Barto
  • Reply 100 of 375
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    This post is no longer necessary!