"970 Powermacs in September", chirped the little bird

Comments

• Reply 61 of 206
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    the sad truth is most people THINK they need and will use slots. but most don't (video guys excluded)

i remember a long time ago apple did a survey of mac 2 owners. the average number of slots used was 1.25 umm and that included counted their current video card.
  • Reply 62 of 206
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    dude a digital voodoo card, a FW 2 card, possibly 2 of them, an Audio card, another video card to go to another video monitor, possibly something with Component output. Then another ethernet card to hook up to a betacam network control, oh and hrmm possibly a fibrechannel card if I had to do traffic control on the thing.
  • Reply 63 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by foamy

The idea that a preview version of a Major OS change will be given to Devs in July (devs won't get back from WWDC until then), they will find all the bugs (that will pop up during this time), and that Apple will fix them and have a release ready 2-3 months later is a tad overly optimistic IMO. I hope I can buy myself Panther for x-mas.

Apple previewed Jaguar for developers in May 2002 and shipped it retail in August; they've already announced that developers will get a copy of Panther at this year's show. So retail by September is not a terrible stretch, especially if Apple is being honest in saying WWDC was pushed back in order to give developers a "more complete" release of Panther.
  • Reply 64 of 206
    and the latest dual head vid cards make them even less important.

now if they came out with a tri-head vid card i would be happy. either that or i will just buy a 30" lcd on the 23rd.

• Reply 65 of 206
    222 = gamer, "enthusiast"

666 = video editor, 3D content creation
  • Reply 66 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

the sad truth is most people THINK they need and will use slots. but most don't (video guys excluded)

i remember a long time ago apple did a survey of mac 2 owners. the average number of slots used was 1.25 umm and that included counted their current video card.

yeah but your probably right heh
  • Reply 67 of 206
    411 = people who _really_ like looking up information on the internet?!

• Reply 68 of 206
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    smokin' fast!
  • Reply 69 of 206
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

dude a digital voodoo card, a FW 2 card, possibly 2 of them, an Audio card, another video card to go to another video monitor, possibly something with Component output. Then another ethernet card to hook up to a betacam network control, oh and hrmm possibly a fibrechannel card if I had to do traffic control on the thing.

Why 2 FW cards, when you already have FW built in?

An audio card, do they even make such a beast that works on a Mac?

A second video card, when your AGP 8 supports dual monitors, and is a faster card to start with? Radeo 8500 supports Duals with one Svideo out, 9000 and 9700 both support dual monitors as well. The AIWonder 9800 supports MPEG capture and video out (TV). All Apple needs to do is contract them to make a Mac version of this card, or for ATI to see that there is enough of a market for them to bring it to the Mac.

Another Ethernet card? I'm not a network guy, so I dont see the use of this, at least untill the next generation of network technology comes to market, but that could be said about FW 3 as well.

I am sure that there are some Pro Audio and Video uses for all those PCI slots. Possibly even the rare IT Pro's could fill them. But I dont know that there is a need for it even in a "Pro" Mac. If they did make an "Uber Mac" then I could see them adding a few extra slots, and charging a heafty premium for them. But even for most Pro's I would dare say that 3 slots is more than they really need, and could easily live with 2 and their AGP Video.
  • Reply 70 of 206
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Apple doesn't play games with it's bottom line. It could care less about rumors except insofar as they affect stockprice or revenues. And not having any high end PM inventory through the month of July would do both. You just don't EOL a product with 4 weeks channel inventory 8 weeks before shipping a replacement. Got that?

Didn't say they were starting them, said they were having fun with them being around keeping the geeks drooling.
  • Reply 71 of 206
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I don't believe a word of it. Here's why. It's someone in here that I've read before. This whole "My First Post" thing isn't cutting it. Sentence structure, and the way they explain why they have never posted here, and why they waited until now is all too familiar. I've seen this person's writing in here often enough to recognize them, but I can't put my finger on who it is.

Although I never believe rumors anyway.

I agree, I think the person has another account here. I'm trying to figure it out, but it doesn't quite seem to click. Who was it that suggested creating new accounts and randomly spewing info out to try and get apple to remove the info? (such a rediculous notion, by the way. Has apple ever asked anything to be stricken from a webboard unless they know the identity behind the person? oh well....) Aha! Found it! Lemmingway was the one who proposed it.

Let me check his other posts to see if it looks similar... Hmmm... not quite enough posts to see if it's a match. What do you think, onlooker?
  • Reply 72 of 206
    "These Powermacs will show up at WWDC, but only behind closed-door NDA sessions. Much like the G4 Macs, Apple is giving developers a preview so they can prepare for their introduction later on. Mass seeding (project "Appleseeder" will begin at WWDC, first with top-tier developers, then down the line."

If this is so then just what in the hell are they going to broadcast to the Apple stores? It makes no sense unless Apple just loves to dissapoint.I can see it now

SJ(Dumbguy voice)-"Here's the new osX upgrade thats coming out later this year...only $129.99"

What is the point of broadcasting this?
  • Reply 73 of 206
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dapper Dan

No new (970) Powermacs at WWDC. I don't know where all these other rumors come from, but 970 Powermacs are NOT currently in production, or at least, they are only gearing up the lines. Maybe the rumors meant PPC 970 production, which is in full swing. But obviously there's a significant lag between the time when a CPU rolls out of the Fishkill plant's driveway, and when a 970 Powermac rolls into an Apple warehouse.

The Powermacs will be shipping by September--I don't know when they will be announced. Probably in August.

Half of what you say is right; the other half is wrong.

Batting .500 is actually quite good though, just don't get caught corking your bat.
  • Reply 74 of 206
    These video cards having nothing to do with whats on your computer monitor but on your Video monitor IE TV, HD, whatever. Look up digital video full uncompressed support for 10bit HD at real time in after effects and Final Cut Pro... droool. I do everything on my powerbook now so I know how to get by with nothing but still. ok I have about 6 firewire devices not including drives, I'd like to hook them all up without having to daisy chaining them mostly because I get wierd results when I do. I have one mini DV deck, one DVC pro deck, a scanner, a cd writer, a bunch of hard drives.

Trust me you'd be suprised what pro's do, its not like a video gaming card, or just a regular video card, I need component input/output, 16bit audio in/out, as well as firewire, I need a video card to support 48bit color real time in NTSC and HD (in the future) and I'd like to do 3d but i mean in my workflow I fake it all in after effects.
  • Reply 75 of 206
    Quote:

Batting .500 is actually quite good though, just don't get caught corking your ba

so there we have it. moki spilled the beans:

announce / show at WWDC, not shiping till Sept.

(but i would bet lowest end 970 ships well before then)
  • Reply 76 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

Batting .500 is actually quite good though, just don't get caught corking your bat.

Which half is right and which is wrong? Can I guess? They will announce the 970's at wwdc and they ship by September?
  • Reply 77 of 206
    i think he's about right, I'm sure they'd demo them (behind closed doors) and tell us all about how cool Panther is. I honestly can't wait to hear about what Panther has in store, I hope they improve the speed of boot up and power off, and also put multiple users, some cool stuff possibly with windows emulation built in or somethen, all the multimedia stuff Its going to be awesome, 970's are really just the sweet addictive topping. As far as it is to apple, its the OS that makes the computer, and this is what has kept it going strong all these years. Whatever hardware it runs on doesn't make it a mac its the OS, whether its on x86, powerpc, alien technology, I don't care as long as its made by apple its all thats relevant. We'll be having the same discussions here in a year or 2 about why are macs so much slower than PC's (when they really aren't). To dell and HP and all them its all about hardware, its how they market themselves and you are eating the line of s**t they give you. Consumers settle on those computers because they are led to believe thats how a computer should be, hard to use, high learning curve, always breaking, need to replace it every year, business model. They don't make any money if you buy a computer once every 3 years like the average mac user does. I know a million (ok so maybe like 7) people who run their old imacs just fine and it does absolutely everything they want perfectly, they've no reason to upgrade the computer doesn't break, it doesn't corrupt itself, and if it did a reinstall is just 20 mins away.

K back on topic yeah I bet we'll hear something about 970's just that they won't be accessible till sept.
  • Reply 78 of 206
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Wrong. Serial ATA has support for more drives than can fit inside an average server case, per channel.

What? You're not making sense here. Eugene is right. "SERIAL" ata supports one device per cable. So 2 SATA channels would have to be augmented by either an add in card or PATA.

Quote:

LOL only if you're a glutton for punishment.

Aja I/O 24 trk audio uncompressed Video. Via Firewire

Indigita 4 channel Firewire card

I don't see a Mac coming with more than the 4 PCI it has now. Firewire is taking over nicely for Audio/Video. Gigabit is standard on Powermacs. USB2 is a joke.

After thought I can't lend support to this theory. I don't believe Panther alone is delaying WWDC. Apple could have seeded Developers a month after the original WWDC date with Panther. The Webcast also points to something bigger.

I cannot buy the 222 and 666 systems for the aformentioned reasons. The 222 system would kill the iMac yet wouldn't appeal to those who love Dual Procs. The 666 system is overkill. The user who needs 6 PCI slots today is as rare as hens teeth.

Smeagol rumors make sense. Panther is probably not ready until at least sept but for Apple to deliver 970 based systems they would most likely need a special build.

IBM's goal for Volume Production of 970 CPUs was 2H 2002. Assuming that was a conservative estimate it's likely they've had a few months to start producting in large number. This would allow Apple to announce Single Proc Powermacs while completing the ramp up of the Dual Proc Powermacs for delivery late.

I'm guessing you see Powermacs debut @

1.4Ghz Powermac $1399

1.6Ghz Powermac $1799

1.8Ghz Powermac %2199

With Dual Proc systems following in 6 months @

1.6Ghz DP Powermac 1799

1.8Ghz DP Powermac 2199

2 Ghz DP Powermac 2599
  • Reply 79 of 206
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

I personally think that Apple needs to take advantage of the lower cost of PPC chips to lead the market into MP systems in both pro and consumer lines.

They've got THE OS to take the lead. Aint Xp Consumer non-mp friendly?

Apple could Performance Rate dual processors compared to Intels. To give a number Wintel can't compete with. Aint Pentium 4s non-mp friendly outside of Xeons?

Apple should stay with MP. '222' MP option? A must.

Apple have got the cards with the 970. They MUST play them differently to the way they have in the past. If they go for stodgy middle ground with single cpu only they are making a grave mistake and wasting an opportunity. A golden one.

970 gives them a change to really skin Wintel. Low end. MP. Consumer. Pro. Uber - Pro. The scalability of this platform? Apple can plunge the knife in...and twist.

C'mon Apple. Get mean. Get angry. Get even.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 80 of 206
    lucidalucida Posts: 104member
    The '222' and '666' actually refers to the case size, in mm.

The 222 is a short, fat cube 2.

The 666 is a proper tower, looking like a couple of 222's stuck together but with extra vents.

The striking part is the depth of the cases - both only 222mm.