"970 Powermacs in September", chirped the little bird

Comments

• Reply 121 of 206
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Yeah, and the connection between Smeagol and "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Return of the King" is what, exactly?

Huh? He said the connection was with "Two Towers", i.e. Smeagol is the OS for the two tower PowerMacs that Apple will announce. What part of this did you not understand?
  • Reply 122 of 206
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member

I wanna see that g5, lol I found this smiley somewhere and wanted to post it
  • Reply 123 of 206
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

http://www.dapperdanfarm.com/

No, no, my favorite one is when you search on google for "Dapper Dan apple"... the first site it picks out is a horse farm with horses all named... Apple Pi. Heh.
  • Reply 124 of 206
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

If that's all you know then you know nothing at all.

The design and pre-press industries are not moving to X en masse for many reasons, a small factor in that in a native XPress.

And can you stop saying "quark", that's the name of the company, the product we're talking about is XPress or Passport.

Here is my perspective on the quark deal. First off, not everyone that uses it will be switching over to OS X and Quark 6. There are a lot of huge publications that just have way too much invested in older pipelines to jsut up and move over to OS X and the new version of Quark. Second, there are also a lot of companies, schools, etc. that don't have such an investment is staying with an older version. Just since Quark announced the shipping of the new version of Quark, The Art Institute (28 schools, 3 thousand machines) and Hallmark (2 thousand machines) announced they will be moving over to OS X and Quark 6. Just those two places alone is a strong representation of the significance of the announcement. Not everyone of those are new machine purchases but those are healthy numbers. I am sure there will be many more moving over to OS X and still many that will stay with their tried and tested pipelines.

Now back to this topic (for that matter, this whole rumor deal).

I don't know if what was brought up here is true, and even if I did know I wouldn't say I knew. The fact is that rumor sites and forums, build up sooooo much hype around Apple events instead of just waiting to see what Apple has planned that people just get lost in all the hype. Rumor sites state rumors as though they are undeniable facts and a lot of people take them as that, fact. When an event goes down and rumors aren't true people get roudy and pissed that Apple didn't release a product that a rumor site "announced" was coming. I know plenty of guys that are tired of this. Let's just see what Apple has planned. I know some might be disappointed and some won't be. You can't make everyone happy. The WWDC is only a week away. We should all just sit down, take a breathe and be a little patient.
  • Reply 125 of 206
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    oh clive, if i only cared about you enough to tell you who my clients are and who their clients are. think TV (think very very big) think movies think very very big)

honestly, maybe its the case where you are from regarding quark.. but in the entertainment creation capitol of the world, its just how I (and others) have stated.
  • Reply 126 of 206
    You know, it's too bad that Apple doesn't put on one of those online mystery/follow the trail events ala the movie AI. With all of the brainpower already trying to figure out the smoke patterns and tea leaves, you would think that Apple would try to harness it to their advantage.

How about this?

Another Sci-Fi link to the 222 666 story. How about Robert Jorden's The Wheel of Time? Look to this link to see numerology of Rand Al Thor.

Rand Al Thor
  • Reply 127 of 206
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    looprumors never did post their follow up on WWDC did they...

or is my safari bad-caching again...
  • Reply 128 of 206
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Half right and half wrong. I think I got it:

The production lines are going full speed...( the part he got wrong)

Announced in August, shipping in September(the part he got right).

2 for 2 baby....2 grand salamis

I think those are mutually exclusive. If Apple has 970s rolling off the assembly lines, then they should ship before September, and they wouldn't wait until August before announcing them. My call is that it's the opposite; production hasn't started or is just starting, but they will be announced at WWDC and shipping by August.
  • Reply 129 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

My call is that it's the opposite; production hasn't started or is just starting, but they will be announced at WWDC and shipping by August.

This is the most obvious. Steve will claim July shipping during the G5 intro on the 23rd, so that he can say "we're shipping these next month." What that means of course, is that two low-end models will reach customs in Alaska at 11:59 on July 31st.

It'll be August for you can just walk into an Apple store and buy one. Lines up well with Moki's comments and the eWeek article.
  • Reply 130 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Late to the party?

Fashionably late on the HT bus, but still in time for the big event, methinks. That CNet article is just another rumour, albeit one from a (reasonably) well-respected source. As I said, I believe that HT will appear on the G5/970's mobo, just as that article postulates.

Of more interest though is the point made in the smeagol thread about HT being good for all sorts of interconnects up to about half a metre. Doesn't that suggest that some kind of expansion box would be far and away the best option for delivering high-end options like beaucoup PCI slots, HDs, etc.? If so, this would tend to undermine the prospects of the 666 models.
  • Reply 131 of 206
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    Moki doesn't know squat. Now maybe if there were an Avara 2.0...things might be different...
  • Reply 132 of 206
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    man, with all the 970 thread running now and we are still a week away, I hope Jonathan and the rest of the AI team are working behind the scenes to make sure we stay up on the 23 (and 22 for that matter)
  • Reply 133 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tomb of the Unknown

Not that significant, actually. If this chip has been in development for 2+ years, there's no reason why the only thing left to do wouldn't be to slap them on waiting mobos, assemble and ship. That would be about 3-4 weeks from when the chips are air freighted to the assembly plants before the first boxed systems began getting through customs. (Assuming no issues in ramping up production.)

It depends on where the micro is assembled to the board. If it's done towards the end, after they've populated most of board, then it could be faster than at the beginning. If it's just simply attaching the daughter board at the very, very end, then it's even faster. However, the daughter boards still have to be built.

Also, assembly plants don't like have parts lying around, waiting to be built up. That takes up a ton of space, and then there are could be quality issues by having parts lying around.

I don't necessarily disagree with 3-4 weeks-- just trying to be realistic with respect to assembly.
  • Reply 134 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by boots

222 = 37 * 6.

444 = 37 * 12

666 = 37 * 18

Perhaps there are designs code named F37, L37 and R37, those would be the 6th, 12th and 18th letters of the alphabet. "Q" is #17.

So was Pi one of your favorite movies?

It's very elegant (as math should be), and brings in the Q37 very nicely. I'd buy this rumor based on this mathematics alone.

37 * 24 = 888

Those wacky Apple engineers, I tell ya.

[edit: hmmm... so what's the 24th letter of the English alphabet... hmm -> (goes off to watch Sesame Street to figure it out)]
  • Reply 135 of 206
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wondering

You know, it's too bad that Apple doesn't put on one of those online mystery/follow the trail events ala the movie AI. With all of the brainpower already trying to figure out the smoke patterns and tea leaves, you would think that Apple would try to harness it to their advantage.

How about this?

Another Sci-Fi link to the 222 666 story. How about Robert Jorden's The Wheel of Time? Look to this link to see numerology of Rand Al Thor.

Rand Al Thor

Off topic, but that guy is nuts. Rand is the antichrist? Rand fights evil, that's what he was born for.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.
  • Reply 136 of 206
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

And everybody at every level calls it Quark. Only the marketing weenies ever utter the word XPress.

this is true. i have worked and currently work in some of the biggest ad agencies in the world and in the states we just call it quark. in fact, i don't recall the last time anyone even used the full name. of course, we don't use quark anymore, so we don't call it anything. we switched to indesign and os x about a year ago.
  • Reply 137 of 206
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

this is true. i have worked and currently work in some of the biggest ad agencies in the world and in the states we just call it quark. in fact, i don't recall the last time anyone even used the full name. of course, we don't use quark anymore, so we don't call it anything. we switched to indesign and os x about a year ago.

rock on.
  • Reply 138 of 206
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marcus

LOL!

This is all sounding a little too much like Dorsal to me. Post that there are different tower designs and many different speeds. If Apple ends up shipping a Mac close to one you've described, that must be the one they chose!
  • Reply 139 of 206
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    With the Towers wobbling all over the time line it is risky to try to see a trend but here goes:

DP867-DP1GHz-DP-1.25GHz

Quite convential step ips in CPU power by 12% and 25%, bigger HDs etc in the line up.

SP-1GHz-DP1.25GHz-DP1.42GHz

A way weaker budget end, at a lowered price point CPU steps is at 150% and 14% increases budget to midrange and mid to high range respectively.

This is a clear bifurcation in a low end tower and two high end towers. It could be a way to test the waters of two tower lines. The sales are low anyhow so they do not stand much to loose. Making a bad judgement with the 970 could be far more costly as it would mean messing up the first competetive towers made by Apple since the spring of 1999.

It is a tricky situtation, selling dual CPU towers right of the bat would not only be way better than the G4s but also give the x86 side a run for the money, and give maximum impact of the introduction of th new CPU . It also would put constraints on the CPU supply, and to intruduce a computer that people want to buy but can not get for moths is a too familiar road

Selling only single CPU towers, will put less strain on the CPU supply and also make the cost of production lower (thus a lower price, in theory at least). But single toweres while way better than the G4s appears to still trail the x86. And seing SJ raving about the veleocity engine and show of some specfic PS filters were the towers beat the x86 is too familiar road

It appears resonable to take a hybrid appoach and start with some singe CPU and then migrate to DP CPUs. How to do it and at what pace to introduce the DP is quite interesting. I hope for DP across the tower line unless the low end can be dropped foruther in price. Since the introduction of the flat iMac the low end tower have had problems at several occations were the iMac have been more or less as fast and have had both a monitor and a better optical drive for not much more than the tower.

So to conlude the rambiling: either a stepwise migration do all dual 970 towers or a bifurcation with SP budget tower at a even lower price ( 995 or so) and then DP mid and high range.
  • Reply 140 of 206
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Maybe moki meant that while new PowerMacs are already in full production, there are too few PPC 970 to start shipping duals? Maybe, low-end PMs go to stores in July with Smeagol, high-end ones being stock-piled for September with Panther?

I am thinking about some major Apple partners who must have got new Macs well before the rest of us (Adobe? Alias|Wavefront?) There should have been a CVS branch for PPC970 support for months because Apple engineers have had a work to do on new PMs. If so, Smeagol is reality even though it might never be released in public. This is to support the July roll-out.

Then again, Apple might demo Panther builds at WWDC on current PMs. Why not? Panther is doomed to support G3 and G4, so this is just technically possible.

Quote:

Go back to the original post, the "222" and "666" specs have nothing to do with the size of the boxes.

What do you mean? Did you mean to say that these numbers (222 and 666) have nothing to do with the size of the boxes? What are they? If 666 can be interpreted as fast as hell, then why 222? Did you mean the relative clock frequency (666 = 2*1.8GHz; 222 = 666/3 = 1.2 GHz)? Isn't 1.2GHz too little to amuze Wall Street and enough to crucify Steve Jobs?

Any ideas?