PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 191
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    This thread is a spectacle. I've read the whole thing, and, to be honest, it's revolting to find how certain people can be so anal retentive and annoyed over the design of a computer which is not publicly for sale yet.

No one really has any business carrying a 40 pound (20 kg for the non-Americans here ) computer from each hand. The handles aren't designed for single-handed carrying because, frankly, no one should be doing that. They are correctly angled for carrying it with both of your hands. My dad always says "Never do anything important with one hand." It's probably a good thing to keep in mind.

Furthermore, the previous poster brought up a good point in that your company must have serious infrastructure and logistics problems in requiring you to move equipment around so much - unless you work for a guerrilla media company which has to squat in its studios and abandon each one before the bobbies find them, I think you should consider using the Internet or a LAN to prevent such ridiculous waste.

If you're a designer then design, don't become a professional computer carrier

The new G5 design strikes all the right notes in my humble opinion. The choice of material conveys business sense and power - brushed aluminum is technical as well as strong, light, and cool to the touch. Associations conferred by the choice of aluminum for the case include aircraft, the frame of the Space Shuttle, and exotic cars (Honda NSX, etc.). The perforated front is functional as well as aesthetic - it reduces the apparent bulk of the computer by eliminating much of the visible frontal area. If the tower is as large as people say, this is a good thing. In addition, the treatment of the side Apple logo: tone-on-tone with a slight variation - is sophisticated and subtle. Ports on the front add convenience; I can imagine these becoming one of my favorite features. The perpendicular handles and simple, planar sides lend the design a feeling of solidity which was missing from the previous tower design. IMO, the previous tower's bulging plastic form made it look cartoonish and were also a waste of space.

All of this is without even scratching the surface of the engineering inside the shell. Congratulations to everyone involved - it looks to be a hell of a computer, and apart from the minor bitching from certain completely irrelevant malcontents, the design and specifications will be met with the utmost applause from the press and public.

stjobs
  • Reply 182 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by flyhigher

CD-R burn speed on the Superdrive is only 16x.

This is an advantage. Finding an optical drive setup on a PC that reliably burns universally readable discs is becoming awfully tough. The slower the speed, the better the chance of this happening. Otherwise CD-Rs get just like the old floppies that, when they got old and the motor slowed down, started producing discs only they could read, because the bits were no longer in the right place. On a high-speed CDR drive, the slightest bit of jitter will kill you.
  • Reply 183 of 191
    You should write a FAQ on how to transfer the guts of a G5 into a beige PC box.

But really, thats what happens when you are stylistically daring... People love it or hate it. I happen to love it. But at the end of the day, its all just opinions.

Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

No need to say more.

(Someone changed the subject from just "Fugly")

• Reply 184 of 191
    stjobsstjobs Posts: 45member
    "This is an advantage."

Personally, I don't think so. You can always turn down the speed with a higher drive. Has the Superdrive been 16x burn speed since its introduction? I'm not that sure that it has been, since my friend's TiBook has one and it takes a good 10-11 minutes to burn an entire CD.

stjobs
  • Reply 185 of 191
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

You should write a FAQ on how to transfer the guts of a G5 into a beige PC box.

But really, thats what happens when you are stylistically daring... People love it or hate it. I happen to love it. But at the end of the day, its all just opinions.

I love it! There's nothing worse than a plastic, beige box.
  • Reply 186 of 191
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I think it will look awesome in person.

The design is a work of art.

The interior is the most sublime interior for a PC.

The outside is remarkable. A James Dean 'Little Bastard'. It'll kick Xeon transparent (heh.)

The fact that 'Clive' in his infinite wisdom has a thread about its design has already fortified the G5 in folklore. People love or hate it. It'll be hard to ignore it. The design is aggressive. The four 'speed holes' on the G4 tower now look tame by comparison..!

Like it or not...the G5 is a design masterpiece. It's the tower design to beat.

It says 'fast'. No longer will Apple towers lower their handles in shame. There's nothing Intel's going to release anytime in the next year that will take out a dual G5 the way the Pentium 4 3 gigger takes out a G4 tower. They had their time at the top. Hated the swings...loved the roundabout.

Athlon beige tower to my right is quaking in terror, heh.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 187 of 191
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

What I'm also saying is that you could have fitted a lot more into the same space - the handles are a waste.

It's much easier to run with them if they have handles.

Quote:

Thos handles are BS - that machine is going to be heavy, the current MDDs are heavy enough, but you can carry two at a time.

The PM G5 is, as pointed out by other posters, a few pounds lighter than the MDD. Makes all the difference when fleeing from security with one in both hands (or one under both arms, should you have long enough arms).

Quote:

The handles on that case will cut into your hand, they are just not angled right to carry.

Wear gloves. Also ensures that you don't leave fingerprints at the store.

Apple produce a PowerMac that's actually fast and the main bone of contention is the handles?

(edit: just in case, I don't actually condone the theft of PowerMacs)
  • Reply 188 of 191
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I am absolutely infatuated with the G5's design.

Its just damn sexy.

Too bad Apple is going to spoil it with the same craptacular keyboard and mouse currently shipping.
  • Reply 189 of 191
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    I'm so envious!

Clive will be able to carry around two G5 all day long and I will hardly be able to afford one of them.

Perhaps Apple even will enclose styptic pads for him?
  • Reply 190 of 191
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    First: How can you call a computer sexy? I think this word is being thrown around too much...people need to get out more. A fine lady with an iBook or PowerBook is sexy. A Mac alone is not.

Man at first I thought this thing looked stupid. It still looks ugly and stupid. But it does scream POWERMac. No doubt. It's growing on me. It's better then those weirdass MDD Macs that looked like Ives crapped out iPods and Qicksilvers at the same time. But I am sure the next iteration will look better. Look at how long it took to get to QickSilver! I always liked my Smurf G3 but I can see why some people don't. Anyone want to buy my Smurf by the way? Comes with 512 RAM and SCSI and stuff. I can't wait to see how the G5 looks in the next case rev. This design does have legs. It will look so badASS next year I bet. The silence of the cooling system is worth it anyway. And for all you "1 drive bay" people, get it in FireWire duuuh. That means it's mobile anyway. I'd rather have more PCI slots or room for RAM than a drive bay.
  • Reply 191 of 191
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Almost need a window on it.

Brilliant. The door side should be see through, like the side of the iMac was. But not frosted just very translucent, like the Pro Mouse.