PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Comments

• Reply 61 of 191
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    1. man, Clive, you oughta lighten up.

2. ANYONE who takes an aesthetic judgment like this and tries to claim an absolute (as if their opinion about aesthetics is somehow of more value than someone else's) is a little loopy. Some people think the dalmation imac is good looking - they aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Fish

I forgot to add 2b: unless said person is claiming that Julia Roberts is prettier than Sandra Bullock, and then said person is plainly wrong...
  • Reply 62 of 191
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Clive is the Absorbing Man. He's feeding off of your posts. Cut off his power supply. Stop... feeding... power.

• Reply 63 of 191
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Aesthetically it's an aluminium box with some "industrial" style holes in it and some curved handles on the top.

Functionally it really only has one "plus" point over the El Cap, it has some ports on the front.

Aesthetically I don't think it has anything like the simple style of the aluminium PowerBooks.

Functionally it has a number of minus point over the El Cap, which I've already listed (take the time to read), it additionally repeats the same mistakes the El Cap made (handles make it a lot less compact than it could be, you're unable to place external drives on top of it...)

If you want to discuss it then do so, please tell me what's so great about it aesthetically and functionally?

Aesthetically it's minimal with curve enough so as to imply grace, the machined edges are close to straight and yet curve enough such that they suggest real finesse and a light touch but with real solidity: like the steal of a Swiss Bank's vault.

The days of Clear and grey plastic are over, they have run their course, they've become the bell-bottoms of the day.

Also passe is the attempt to hide function OR the attempt to wear it on the sleeve: hence the fine balance of a grill who's function few here were even able to discern but yet became apparent when thought about

Like a good painting (I know...Im over the top for sure . . . but loving it!) it withoholds its mystery so as to extend itself over time . . revealing it's secrets . . .LOL

Functionally the handles remain and are absolutey indispensable. They will NOT innhibit drives on top, but who would want to put their drives there anyway?! They won't cut into anybody's hands, after all you don't take your G5 out jogging or to a movie, you just need to put it up on a table or move it so as to add more RAM.

Aesthetically it DOES match the style of the Powerbook . . . and managed to pull it off without succumbing to flash or Brick.

Its minnimalism is 'form purified by function' but without the pitfalls of such extreme near-sighted Modernisms . . therefore it has the lines not just the 'Internationalist' boxiness . . . and since decorative modernism seems to be just getting a new sort of wave, refashioned by the ubiquitous FLASH (yes the program!) inspired contours and surfaces, this take on that aesthetic will add fuel to the trend . . . and yet be enough its-own that it won't be just another retro-modernist design . . . .

and anyway . . etc etc . . .
  • Reply 64 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

1. man, Clive, you oughta lighten up.

2. ANYONE who takes an aesthetic judgment like this and tries to claim an absolute (as if their opinion about aesthetics is somehow of more value than someone else's) is a little loopy. Some people think the dalmation imac is good looking - they aren't wrong, they just have a different opinion.

Actually most of my case against it is functional, not aesthetic (how come all you Yanks are learning to spell all of a sudden!?)

As for lightening up, I'm just stating my opinion, some agree, a lot of people with no reasoning (except it has an Apple logo on it) want to disagree. I'll say that, aesthetically, I'm in a better position than most of them to judge.
  • Reply 65 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Aesthetically it DOES match the style of the Powerbook . . .

It does not.
  • Reply 66 of 191
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Well, I am not a designer, just part of the unwashed masses, but I feel this case is the greatest since the "El Cap" G3.

The original smurf case was great, but the G4-iterations just made it uglier, culminating in the "speedholes" MDD in all its uglyness.

This is like a fresh breeze, clean, simplistic.

But then, I am just a consumer, what do I know....
  • Reply 67 of 191
    Quote:

It does not.

is so . . .
  • Reply 68 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Clive is the Absorbing Man. He's feeding off of your posts. Cut off his power supply. Stop... feeding... power.

What's the girl's name in the X-men that absorbs the other mutant's powers? ... Rogue!

Feed me!
  • Reply 69 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

is so . . .

Bollocks!
  • Reply 70 of 191
    bagubagu Posts: 23member
    Quote:

It does not.

You're wrong. It does.
  • Reply 71 of 191
    By the way, there is this interesting relationship between Power and Beauty: Power makes things more Beautiful.

It WILL grow on you . . . even if you don't find it beautifull now . . . . quite the opposite of what you, Clive, say: that we will find it ugly . . . .
  • Reply 72 of 191
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I just looked at the big version of the g5 pics. Oh your God! these are going to look even better in person.

Off topic, Who's the guy that designed the shape of Urinal Cakes?

He's got his work shown all around the world too...
  • Reply 73 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

I just looked at the big version of the g5 pics. Oh your God! these are going to look even better in person.

Off topic, Who's the guy that designed the shape of Urinal Cakes?

He's got his work shown all around the world too...

Do you mean R Mutt?!?!

heehee

otherwise known as Marcel Duchamp;

• Reply 74 of 191
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    At first I hated the design. Now I love it to death. Looks like another winner for Apple. Not a moment to soon.
  • Reply 75 of 191
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Clive is correct - although he has made a few blanket statements about the aesthetics, I concede that most of his comments have addressed what he views as functional flaws.

But as for " I'll say that, aesthetically, I'm in a better position than most of them to judge". I think that misses the point of beauty and aesthetics. So, if I prefer Picasso's guernica to Van Gogh's "bleaching ground", does an artist have somehow more say in what is more attractive? Of course not. Your stuff may be "all over the world" (which, btw, is no sign of quality, any more than gallons sold per year is a sign of good wines), but that gives your opinion about what is beautiful precisely the same value as mine or anyone else's.

Fish
  • Reply 76 of 191

Or rather, considering the circumstances .

perhaps this version is better:

Thanks Sherrie Levine

• Reply 77 of 191
    Quote:

Thos handles are BS - that machine is going to be heavy, the current MDDs are heavy enough, but you can carry two at a time.

The handles on that case will cut into your hand, they are just not angled right to carry.

It looks like there is an outer door, and then an inner plastic shell (I think for sealing the different thremal compartments).

Please read the specs before you make easily checked statements. From my post earlier:

G5: H 20.1, W 8.1, D 18.7, Wt. 39.2lbs

G4: H 17, W 8.9, D 18.4, Wt. 42lbs

Flatpainter
  • Reply 78 of 191
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I think it's the sexiest machine I've ever seen. I want rows.

But, to each his own.
  • Reply 79 of 191

I wonder when Apple will offer the option of personalized engraving?

Flatpainter
  • Reply 80 of 191

i Mean: