PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Comments

• Reply 101 of 191
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Hmmm, IF 'Clive' is the 'Absorbing Man'...then drop a pile of rocks on his head...

...see if he can 'absorb' that.

8)

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. I hated the 'WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? THAT'S 'IT'?!?' G5 design when I saw it at Macrumors link. But now? I think I'm falling in love...she's heavy...and mean...oh...honey...we have lift off...!
  • Reply 102 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

You could not carry two of those things for any distance.

And you've tried I take it?

• Reply 103 of 191
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

I think you're wrong here. It seems to me that Apple started taking real notice of the functional "inside" aspects of the case with the PowerMac 8600. Which was pretty much the first Mac that was easy to get into and out of. They continued this with the beige G3 tower, which moved the standard forward again.

The apex of this effort, IMO, is the El Capitan, open it up and everthing is there in front of you.

This G5 case looks to be a step backwards - as far as maintenance goes. And that should be a big consideration in the function of any case.

For those with longer memories, ever try putting RAM in an 8100?

The G5 still opens very easily - there's just no hinges.
  • Reply 104 of 191
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    i think the removable door could be better than the drop-down model in the current ones. you can open the case in a more confined space, and you dont have to worry about cracking/leaning on /standing on the door when working on it.

certainly i can't see any significant drawbacks to it compared to the yosemite design ... except maybe it is not such a seismic shift in accessibility as the smurf tower did.

off topic slightly, anyone else have fun checking out what random paths get left in the TIFFs apple put up on their pr site? i have been doing it for years, it's some indication of how the photos have been touched up ...

mebbe some of the wannabe case-fakers for the next gen of hardware later this year should learn how to decode and 'reverse engineer' some of these techniques in photoshop
  • Reply 105 of 191
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    First off, have any of you seen it in person? This thing is huge! About 4 inches taller than the current G4. And they still didn't have room, so they had to remove 1 optical drive and 2 hard drives. What's up with that?

And for those of you happy that the fans will be quiet, with all of those perforations, think about how hot your work space will become. The fans only push heat out. Now that there's more heat, your work area will take the brunt of it. Most computers work by moving the air around the heat source in a circular pattern, cooling down the unit. This just pushes air from one side to the next. Meaning releasing heat, that's it.

So I have to agree that this thing is fugly. The specs are indeed impressive. But give me a case that actually keeps everything cool without spilling out heat. Plus if it's this large, I need more room for expandability, such as drives. Not as Apple puts it, networkable to an x-raid. Plus, are you all going to spend $3700 for 8gigs of RAM?

I'm waiting for the G5 powerbooks. Hopefully, they won't weigh 10 pounds as these G5 towers might suggest.
  • Reply 106 of 191
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

But give me a case that actually keeps everything cool without spilling out heat.

Every case with a fan "spills heat."
  • Reply 107 of 191
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by contempt

First off, have any of you seen it in person? This thing is huge! About 4 inches taller than the current G4. And they still didn't have room, so they had to remove 1 optical drive and 2 hard drives. What's up with that?

And for those of you happy that the fans will be quiet, with all of those perforations, think about how hot your work space will become. The fans only push heat out. Now that there's more heat, your work area will take the brunt of it. Most computers work by moving the air around the heat source in a circular pattern, cooling down the unit. This just pushes air from one side to the next. Meaning releasing heat, that's it.

So I have to agree that this thing is fugly. The specs are indeed impressive. But give me a case that actually keeps everything cool without spilling out heat. Plus if it's this large, I need more room for expandability, such as drives. Not as Apple puts it, networkable to an x-raid. Plus, are you all going to spend $3700 for 8gigs of RAM?

I'm waiting for the G5 powerbooks. Hopefully, they won't weigh 10 pounds as these G5 towers might suggest.

Talk about a silly post. But, you're intitled to your whining opinion. Increases heat in your workspace how lame is that?
  • Reply 108 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

And you've tried I take it?

Do you ever get out of the house? Water is wet, right, fire burns and dogs bite. I don't need to test this every time I see some water, a fire or a dog.

That thing weighs getting on for 20Kg, somone posted that it was a little lighter than the current El Caps. I *know* those things are heavy, over any distance, because I've carried them.

Looking at this functionally the reason you can carry an El Cap is because the handles are wide, curved for your hand and are angled perpendicular to the centre of gravity.

With me so far?

The G5 case handles are not angled against the centre of gravity, they are thin, they are not curved to fit your hand.

In short this dog bites, breathes fire and pisses on your shoes (is everyone here as stupid as you make yourself out to be?).
  • Reply 109 of 191
    Quote:

Talk about a silly post. But, you're entitled to your whining opinion. Increases heat in your workspace how lame is that? No matter what people will always complain.
  • Reply 110 of 191
    Quote:

Looking at this functionally the reason you can carry an El Cap is because the handles are wide, curved for your hand and are angled perpendicular to the centre of gravity.

This is true if you're carrying multiple Towers. If you're only moving one, this config is fine. And most people will only move 1 at a time.
  • Reply 111 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by jobes

i think the removable door could be better than the drop-down model in the current ones. you can open the case in a more confined space, and you dont have to worry about cracking/leaning on /standing on the door when working on it.

I don't think that's really true. You still need to get "inside" the thing, which means moving it or your body around. With El Cap you open it out and it's right in front of you.
  • Reply 112 of 191
    Quote:

Do you ever get out of the house? Water is wet, right, fire burns and dogs bite. I don't need to test this every time I see some water, a fire or a dog.

That thing weighs getting on for 20Kg, somone posted that it was a little lighter than the current El Caps. I *know* those things are heavy, over any distance, because I've carried them.

With me so far?

The G5 case handles are not angled against the centre of gravity, they are thin, they are not curved to fit your hand.

In short this dog bites, breathes fire and pisses on your shoes (is everyone here as stupid as you make yourself out to be?).

One word :

SUBJECTIVE

Guess what? I like it! Guess what? I'm not the only one.
  • Reply 113 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

This is true if you're carrying multiple Towers. If you're only moving one, this config is fine. And most people will only move 1 at a time.

But that's exactly what I said I was doing!?

Additionally I think it's a benefit to be able to carry it with one hand, so that you can open doors, call lifts, carry keyboards...

Don't you?
  • Reply 114 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by jimmac

One word :

SUBJECTIVE

Guess what? I like it! Guess what? I'm not the only one.

It's not subjective that you won't be able to carry two of them - that's fact.

It's subjective, on some level, whether you like the styling of the case - a totally different issue.
  • Reply 115 of 191
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    Quote:

...Plus, are you all going to spend $3700 for 8gigs of RAM? ...

no

neither will most customers. right now i could buy 8x 512Mb sticks of DDR3200, 184-pin DIMM from crucial. for £516.91 inc VAT. they don't list 1Gb parts right now, but even at mebbe 3x the price of the 512Mb parts (£64.61), 8Gb wouldn't be more than £1300-1500. or mebbe $2800. i'm sure eagle-eyed readers will be able to quote even more competitive prices online soon.

apple have always screwed ignorant (and paranoid) users over RAM. buy branded, but buy elsewhere

(my 100th post. took me over a year and a half. glad the content here means i still enjoy coming here )
  • Reply 116 of 191
    Quote:

But that's exactly what I said I was doing!?

Additionally I think it's a benefit to be able to carry it with one hand, so that you can open doors, call lifts, carry keyboards...

Don't you?

I don't know, I mean it would be more convenient as far as having an extra hand, but to have this 30 some pound chunk of aluminum swinging aroung and banging into stuff doesn't sound very appealing either. I think they're making people keep a firm controlled grip on the thing.
  • Reply 117 of 191
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If heat is such an issue, use a G3 iBook because it's pretty much the only choice you have for a computer with such a requirement. I have a dual Xeon 2.8 GHz on my desk (due to our workstations, my alternatives are to either stop putting my knees under my desk or never being able to reach the CD drive) and heat is not the problem. Noise is, however.

If handles are your biggest problem, try not to move them around too much. Let's face it, the handles are mostly for show, and the ones on the bottom, though no one owuld ever lift the thing that way, provide more functionality day in and day out than the top ones.

This whole argument is rather silly at this point. It's one thing to state your opinion (uh, I mean fact! ), but at this point it's take it or leave it. I hated the MDD case. I left it.
  • Reply 118 of 191
    Quote:

With me so far?

No, I think it's just you.

You've been here all evening moaning. Go to bed. Relax. It's a new computer and you don't like the shape of it.

That's all. Why get so wound up?
  • Reply 119 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

I don't know, I mean it would be more convenient as far as having an extra hand, but to have this 30 some pound chunk of aluminium swinging around and banging into stuff doesn't sound very appealing either. I think they're making people keep a firm controlled grip on the thing.

Right, what was I thinking, Jonathan Ive doesn't want you to scratch your precious Mac, so he deliberately made it difficult to carry with one hand. Genius!

Problem here is that it's just as difficult to carry in three years time, when you no longer care if you knock it about a bit.
  • Reply 120 of 191
    Quote:

It's subjective, on some level, whether you like the styling of the case - a totally different issue. [/B]

A totally different issue? Than why did you name the subject of this thread, "PowerMac G5 Is Fugly"? By "Fugly" I assumed you were reffering to matters of style?