PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Comments

• Reply 121 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ernest eMac

No, I think it's just you.

You've been here all evening moaning. Go to bed. Relax. It's a new computer and you don't like the shape of it.

That's all. Why get so wound up?

Well, no I haven't ben here all evening - you'll see there was a considerable break between my posts.

I'm not that wound up about it, I just think some of you are posting pretty stupid things - I'd like to at least try to help you out so you don't go through the rest of your lives suffering such embarrassment.
  • Reply 122 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by giantsuper

A totally different issue? Than why did you name the subject of this thread, "PowerMac G5 Is Fugly"? By "Fugly" I assumed you were reffering to matters of style?

Actually, someone renamed the thread, I just named it "Fugly".

Further, the quote you use is my response to someone else going on a about subjective from my post which was about the functional aspects of carrying the thing.

Like I wrote, form and function, two different things, go back and check.
  • Reply 123 of 191
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Wasn't this the case when the Ti Powerbook came out? Everyone was bitching about how ugly it looked... saying it lacked the curves of the Pismo. It's the same thing. I'm sure once your eyes adjust to it and you've seen it in person, you'll think otherwise.
  • Reply 124 of 191
    craiger77craiger77 Posts: 133member
    No Clive, we are not stupid. We just go to the gym when we want to work out instead of huffing 80 lbs of computer hardware up and down stairs!
  • Reply 125 of 191
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    One of the problems with the new case is that it is radically different from every Mac before it. It will take time for people to adjust to this new look. The TiBook wasn't as different, because there's not much mroe you can do to a laptop. Sony had been making similar (not as well done) laptops for years.

But nothing has come close to this design... it's radical like a cube, but not as immediently likable.

Barto
  • Reply 126 of 191
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    My wife works in IT and often needs to lug around tower-style computers. She spent a whopping 20 USD on a clever collapsible cart with elastic tie-downs that turns the task of lugging a tower into a pleasant experience.

Unless there's a sport of CPU-slinging that's popular in the UK, why not just get something with wheels to move your towers? Geeze, here in California we just put 'em on office chairs and wheel them wherever we need to go.

OK...next gripe?
  • Reply 127 of 191
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Omg - I cannot believe that this much energy is being spent arguing over the HANDLES on the new case.

And it isn't even as though the argument is about IF it has handles - it is that the handles aren't tilted perpendicular to the center of gravity, nor do they *appear* rounded enough to protect delicate hands.

Amazing.
  • Reply 128 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by craiger77

No Clive, we are not stupid. We just go to the gym when we want to work out instead of huffing 80 lbs of computer hardware up and down stairs!

You guys have no stamina!
  • Reply 129 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

And it isn't even as though the argument is about IF it has handles - it is that the handles aren't tilted perpendicular to the center of gravity, nor do they *appear* rounded enough to protect delicate hands.

Stupid post number 263, immediately above.

C'mon, you've got a brain, if the handles aren't functional, and they clearly are not, then there is no point.
  • Reply 130 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Unless there's a sport of CPU-slinging that's popular in the UK, why not just get something with wheels to move your towers? Geeze, here in California we just put 'em on office chairs and wheel them wherever we need to go.

Wheels work well on stairs, I'll give that a go next time. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 131 of 191
    fishdocfishdoc Posts: 189member
    Now, Clive, you are just being silly - you have decided (without touching one) that the handles actually don't work? Are they made from aluminum foil? Are the edges razor-sharp, lopping off fingers from the hapless fools who try to carry one to their office (or two, as you seem intent on doing)?

Seriously - and to start such absurdity with a criticism about the intelligence of someone else's post - amazing.

edit - is he always like this? I haven't paid much attention to his posts before.

Fish
  • Reply 132 of 191
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Yeah, um, little problem here. It's way too tall to fit in a 19" rack horizontally. I really hope that outer handle shell is completely removable. (It looks like it's one solid block of aluminum on the non-access-panel side.)

Also, TWO HD bays? Hello? Three might have been doable, but going from FOUR to TWO? And this is a Pro machine?!

Maybe for you, the PRO-SUMER, but for my industry (television and feature films) - who needs 4 internal drives? That's stupid.

In the REAL PRO WORLD we use servers and external JBODS for storage.

Speaking of...This new PowerMac looks great with an XRaid.
  • Reply 133 of 191
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

Actually, someone renamed the thread, I just named it "Fugly".

In the process of moving threads from Temporary Insanity, I decided to give your thread a title that actually described what I thought was being discussed.

"Fugly" is not a descriptive title. If you were describing the aesthetics of the PowerMac G5, which is what I got from sifting through the first part of the thread, then my description was fine. If you would like it to incorporate all of Apple's design (or whatever), let me know and I would be happy to edit your wonderful thread again for you.

• Reply 134 of 191
    emdashemdash Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Now, Clive, you are just being silly - you have decided (without touching one) that the handles actually don't work? Are they made from aluminum foil? Are the edges razor-sharp, lopping off fingers from the hapless fools who try to carry one to their office (or two, as you seem intent on doing)?

That is just silly. I've never moved the Sawtooths I work on using just one of the handles -- so for me, the angled El Capitan-style handles are actually less functional than the g5-style horizontal handles.

I guess if I had to carry it for long distances, I might be tempted to hold it by one handle, but I think one arm would be longer than the other by the time I got to my destination. As it is, I move them a few feet from one work surface to another -- and call me a weakling, but I'm not in the habit of lifting 40 lb., 20 inch tall objects with off-center handles off of desks with one hand.
  • Reply 135 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

Yeah, um, little problem here. It's way too tall to fit in a 19" rack horizontally. I really hope that outer handle shell is completely removable. (It looks like it's one solid block of aluminum on the non-access-panel side.)

Also, TWO HD bays? Hello? Three might have been doable, but going from FOUR to TWO? And this is a Pro machine?!

I think two are fine...If I need more than two HD I will connect more by using my firewire. I like the design of the G5 Powermac.
  • Reply 136 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by fishdoc

Now, Clive, you are just being silly ...

How so? That thing weighs the better part of 20Kg, the "handles" are not "hand-shaped". They won't cut into you, but they'll be uncomfortable - you won't be able to carry it far.

Like I wrote before, I don't have to put my hand in a fire to know it burns.

Fill up some containers with 40 pints of water, but them in a plastic bag, see how far you want to carry it.
  • Reply 137 of 191
    simxsimx Posts: 21member
    I dunno if anybody else has said this, but the pic of the PowerMac G5 that came out a few days before today was definitely a fake. The new PMG5 does not have a slot-loading optical drive, nor does it have vertical slats -- it actually has a mesh, as reported in the One Infinite Cantina article.

Anyway, I think the PMG5 is something to see in person -- unfortunately they didn't have any models in.

I don't get the arguments about the handles -- as one person said, I dunno if I want to have my PMG5 swinging from one hand. Using two hands will lighten the load on each hand, so the handles aren't going to be a problem.

The only gripes I can see are the lack of dual optical drives, and the lack of more than 2 drive bays. Oh, and of course the price, but that's to be expected.

Yay, Apple!
  • Reply 138 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by emdash

...but I'm not in the habit of lifting 40 lb., 20 inch tall objects with off-center handles off of desks with one hand.

I din't say it was commonplace, but it's a factor for me. I'd rather walk up and down the stairs three times than six. I'd rather walk accros the car park, through the loading bay, across the warehouse and up the studio stairs twice, rather than four times.

These things make my life easier.
  • Reply 140 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

How so? That thing weighs the better part of 20Kg, the "handles" are not "hand-shaped". They won't cut into you, but they'll be uncomfortable - you won't be able to carry it far.

Like I wrote before, I don't have to put my hand in a fire to know it burns.

Your post on page 1 of this thread said:

"Try to learn to read, what I wrote was "you'll hate it the first time you pick it up" - and you will. Those handles will cut into your hand"

Make your mind up Clive.....