PowerMac G5 Is Fugly

Comments

• Reply 21 of 191
    I love it. Although I was surprised by only one drive bay. I imagine we'll probably get another before too long. It looks like they were very meticulous with the structure of this thing("designed from the inside out") and just couldn't get a second bay in there and make it work just the way they wanted. Give 'em some more tinkering time.
  • Reply 22 of 191
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KidRed

Hmm, nope, don't remember saying fake last week. And because you don't like does not mean someone will 'hate it when they see it'. To each his own, I love it and look forward to ordering my dual 2ghz for less then the dual gig I'm replacing.

Try to learn to read, what I wrote was "you'll hate it the first time you pick it up" - and you will. Those handles will cut into your hand, you won;t be able to carry it with one hand for any distance.

This is a dog of a case.

Look at it.

You've got somewhere around 50mm of extra height because of the handles, space you can't use. Wouldn't you rather have 50mm of space inside for a couple of extra internal drives, a fourth PCI slot and, woah, perhaps even a second removable.

In addition you can't stick a removable external drive on top.

Sorry, this is really just poor execution - Ive would get "fail" on any design course for this.

I can't wait until they try to cram another drive in there, or a PCI slot.

F-U-G-L-Y
  • Reply 23 of 191
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Don't think much of the case design myself, but it's nice to have ports on the front, and if it works as advertised, no problemo.
  • Reply 24 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by SledgeHammer

I love it. Although I was surprised by only one drive bay. I imagine we'll probably get another before too long.

You won't, look at the shot of it open, there's no space.
  • Reply 25 of 191
    First off, I like the new case a lot. It looks like a workstation computer should. El Capitan's look wore off after the initial shock, and I for one hate amount of give polycarbonate has. The sides of a $2500 computer shouldn't bend that much and creak like the hulls of a plastic ship.

Second, I usually buy a computer to use, not as a centerpiece for my coffee table.

Third, what the **** is wrong with you whiny bitches? Apple goes from making the slowest PC's on the market to the fastest PC ever created, so you bitch about how it looks?
  • Reply 26 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

ri think at years end you earned your 10 euro because there won't be a 15"pb with ppc970 processor before that time

I'm planing what to spend it on - I think I'll donate it to the Jonnie Ive retirement fund, he's going to need it.
  • Reply 27 of 191
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

You've got somewhere around 50mm of extra height because of the handles, space you can't use. Wouldn't you rather have 50mm of space inside for a couple of extra internal drives, a fourth PCI slot and, woah, perhaps even a second removable.

Let's not get snippy.

It's probably a good idea to get the case a little off the work surface, for heat reasons. Not for convection like the Cube, but just having a lot of hot metal against a talbe might not be so good. And I don't think there was any max. height or equilibrium in terms of its dimensions they had to strictly maintain. If they took away the handles, it doens't mean they oculd have fit another drive in. If they wanted another drive bay, they would have made it taller or reconfigured it.
  • Reply 28 of 191
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Awesome case.

I strictly use Cooler Masters on my PC's.

Apple nailed it with this one.

The front and back mesh is a great idea. Should have great cooling.

The internals are magnificent. Really a super clean design.

Almost need a window on it.
  • Reply 29 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by macubus

All those holes better make it quiet.

I think it's funny in the video where Ive is going "this is 2-3 times quieter than the G4".

And I'm thinking, right, and who made the G4 so noisey!?
  • Reply 30 of 191
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

It look like cheap 70s hifi.

My dad never had any 70's hi-fi gear like this?
  • Reply 31 of 191
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I loooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeee this new case.

Mmmm quient fans too! (apple listens!)
  • Reply 32 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

This is just laughable, last week you're all crying "fake", "crumpled paper" is just a PC box with some alu, this week you're buying a PC with some alu handles on it.

Bonkers.

You'll hate that thing the first time you have to pick one up.

I just checked the specs:

G5: H 20.1, W 8.1, D 18.7, Wt. 39.2lbs

G4: H 17, W 8.9, D 18.4, Wt. 42lbs

May have to add weight to keep in shape.

Odd how it's taller, but has only one optical drive bay.

-----------------

About the design. Ives is using the materials to their utmost. The strength and tooling options of aluminum will show in person, I'm sure. I would like to have seen some of the mockups that played around with different patterns of hole, slot, etc. for the air flow.

The "cheese grater" (macbid got it right?) gives nice contrast of texture to the pristine sides and handles. By the way, I'm sure the handles will be carefully rounded to prevent cuts as another poster complained.

I do notice the art on the G5 pages has backgrounds of black. New for hardware display. Sign of a shift, or just shows the machine to best effect?

Architecture:

I expect to see a lot of complaints about lack of dual optical drives, and only 2 harddrive bays. The G4PM onlyu has 2 PCI, also. But it does offer the option of more internal storage with PCI. The specs specifically mention the choice of using X-Raid with a PCI card. Definitely, aimed at high-end pros.

When will they market a small external raid options for pro-sumers using firewire 800? Soon would be good.

That's enough empty conjecture based on hearsay and never having seen the machine in person. I thought the MDD's looked bad in photos, too. Till I saw them in person.

Flatpainter
  • Reply 33 of 191
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

No need to say more.

Yawn.

I come from Britain. It rains. We're a pretty miserable lot.

How can you tell? Because Lemon Bon Bon comes from Britain too! And when we aint whinging about the G4. Or steep dollar to Sterling conversion rates...or steep Tower prices....we love whining about new case designs.

In fact. We have a severe case of Penis envy.

We're pessimist. Don't like anything new. Why? Because we have a small island phobia mentality.

ergo: we hate change.

Y'know one thing I like about Americans?

Ya just do it.

And Steve and Ive just did it to me.

I REALLY like the new Tower design.

It's brave.

I really can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Doffs the top hat and drinks his tea.

Lemon Bon Bon

• Reply 34 of 191
    trebektrebek Posts: 16member
    It looks awesome from the sides, but the front is ass. With a little bit of detailing the front could have looked a lot better. The front looks way too utilitarian/ minimalist. But since the things run like (quiet!)scalded ass dogs, I can't bring myself to care that much.
  • Reply 35 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Let's not get snippy.

It's probably a good idea to get the case a little off the work surface, for heat reasons. Not for convection like the Cube, but just having a lot of hot metal against a talbe might not be so good. And I don't think there was any max. height or equilibrium in terms of its dimensions they had to strictly maintain. If they took away the handles, it doens't mean they oculd have fit another drive in. If they wanted another drive bay, they would have made it taller or reconfigured it.

If you watch the video the cooling path is straight through, not underneath or over the top - those space play no part.

What I'm also saying is that you could have fitted a lot more into the same space - the handles are a waste. they just repeated exactly the same mistakes they made with El Capitan (though I love that case).

And if history is anything to go by we'll have to live with it for the next 4-5 years.

Ha, just thought, the front of that thing looks exactly the same as the grills on my 15 year old hifi, except they're classier because they're black.
  • Reply 36 of 191
    damndjdamndj Posts: 12member
    I love the new case. I am willing to bet it looks even better in person.
  • Reply 37 of 191
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    i though it was beyond fugly .. but now i think it's beeeeeyooootiful!! the pics at apple.com are so awesome i want to sell my tower now ... but alas have to wait till aug ... kudos to Ives & co on a superb, nay stellar job.

G
  • Reply 38 of 191
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

In fact. We have a severe case of Penis envy.

What are you, a girl?

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

We're pessimist. Don't like anything new. Why? Because we have a small island phobia mentality.

Actually, check "where I'm from", no island mentality here, I'm a European.

And, BTW, Ive is British.
  • Reply 38 of 191
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    LOL

I am dyin. People were complainin about the "dontask" case... this is worse! lol

I liked the don't ask case... depending on how the finish would actually be. I like the "dontask" case much more than this one. Though I do like the direction Ive went with this one... it just seems too muddled. The "dontask" case was at least simple. This looks too dark, also. Maybe it is just the lighting though. I do prefer it to the G4 though.

Ive jumped the shark, that is for sure. Win an award and youre screwed for ever. Goes straight to your head.
  • Reply 40 of 191
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm not sure what your point is with the G4. They used an old case to hold new, big, hot processors. You never saw Jon Ives wax philosphic about the MDD case for a reason.

Anyway, the mesh does make it cooler and quieter. The air passes through from front to back on the new towers. That's what this diagram is about: