Israel a threat to world peace.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
After reading this article, I was left feeling rather negatively towards Israel. It's not the first time this country has attacked at an 'inopportune' moment.

I think it's fair to say that this attack will do more to damage the current situation than the cease fire the militants were in the midst of signing. If Israel can't control itself, what can be done to force them to cooperate? Since over the past two to three years this has been their consistent response to peace, I can't understand a defense of their government's positions.

This is as much of a threat to stability in the region as Iraq was, but what can be done to keep them from destroying any hopes of peace in the region?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 224
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Uh hu and what did Hamas' terror strikes do?
  • Reply 2 of 224
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I'm more worried about an Israeli stike in the wake of a cease-fire agreement. A cease-fire could bring some stability. Israel hasn't been able to show any restraint under these circumstances. It's destabilizing the region more than isolated 'terror' attacks.

Isolated terror attacks in Iraq are doing relatively little to our military.
  • Reply 3 of 224
    What cease-fire agreement?
  • Reply 4 of 224
    Oh I get it now. The Jews should shut up and take it. Like they did before. But the arab muslims get ever second chance to stop killing jews.
  • Reply 5 of 224
    Quote:

don't lie, you were on the debate team, i can tell.
  • Reply 6 of 224
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Over 70% of Palestinians want an end to hostilities.

This same majority recognize the authority of their own Prime Minister in these matters.

Hamas and others have refused all calls ( by their own government ) to lay down their arms and to cease all attacks on israelis. But that is not suprising really.

They have made it clear time and again, that they are not interested in negotiating a peace settlement.

They have a zero tolerance attitude towards Israel.

When the leaders of Hamas and other militant ( illegal ) groups recognize the right of Israel to exist without fear of its citizens being murdered, then Israel will cease hitting these murderers of peace.

I use these adjectives carefully, noting that these groups are acting outside the interests of their duly elected Palestinian government and have been condemmed by the United nations.

One final point,

You should recognize that another part of Hamas's agenda is to crush all palestinian attempts at democratic government....

So who are the real enemy to "world peace " ?
  • Reply 7 of 224
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    here's what i don't get.

Quote:

Earlier in the day, two Hamas militants died after a firefight in Gaza that began when the Palestinians fired on an Israeli military vehicle.

(emphasis mine)

Quote:

The emerging deal was shrouded in some confusion, with Hamas leaders in the Palestinian areas strenuously denying it has been finalized.

the precursor to this in the article was the lead-in:

Quote:

Islamic militants agreed to halt attacks on Israelis for three months, Palestinian negotiators said Wednesday. But the tenuous deal was immediately undercut by an Israeli airstrike and Hamas threats of revenge.

so again the isreal attack was a response an attack on them first.

how is this their fault?
  • Reply 8 of 224
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Yes, they are.

"They should just sit back and take it?" is a cop out. There have been numerous occasions where things had settled a bit after various bombings and Israeli counter-attacks, and suddenly as progress is being made, Israel will start up the counter-attacks again. The rocket attacks a week or so ago is a prime example. The Israeli military completely fuked up a good starting point for negotiations.

Sharon and the new Palestinian PM had agreed to a basic set of talking points, including a Palestinian state...and what happened. Right wing protests in Israel and the next day there's suddenly another big wave of "counter" attacks, killing more Palestinian civilians.

It's pretty obvious to anyone with a functioning pair of eyes (so to speak) that Sharon is not in complete control of his own military. As long as the right-wing civilian nutbags - the same ones who vehemently protested the peace process and any idea of a Palestinian state, before the details had even been cast - have some say in what the military does, there will never be peace there.

They don't want peace. They want the land and they want it all. They have no respect for any Palestinian and no desire to compromise with them either. It's called arrogance and greed under the guise of self defense and "yah but you started it".
  • Reply 9 of 224
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    moogs, they were fired on first this morning, and their attack was in response. i don't see how this is their fault. to start off a cease fire you should STOP SHOOTING PEOPLE.

if you're shooting people, odds are you'll get shot back.
  • Reply 10 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so again the isreal attack was a response an attack on them first.

how is this their fault?

Not exactly. They killed the perpetrators of the attack earlier in the day. This helicopter attack was unrelated.

Moogs has it right. Israel attacks whenever there is any movement forward for peace. This is troubling and a threat to the region, and thus the world.
  • Reply 11 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Not exactly. They killed the perpetrators of the attack earlier in the day. This helicopter attack was unrelated.

Moogs has it right. Israel attacks whenever there is any movement forward for peace. This is troubling and a threat to the region, and thus the world.

SHARON attacks whenever there is a movement towards peace.

just like the walk he took to the temple mount when barak and arafat were so close to peace.

sharon to palestinians is like a kkk march. there will be no peace with sharon in office. he is an impediment to peace. unfortunately he is an elected impediment.
  • Reply 12 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

SHARON attacks whenever there is a movement towards peace.

Yes, you are correct. I implied that in my first post by saying that the government is OOC. He is, for all practical purposes, the current Israeli government.
  • Reply 13 of 224
    not to cave to the groverat/scott doctrine of evenhanded criticism.

but i do believe there will be seats for both sharon and hamas at the purgatory breakfast buffet.
  • Reply 14 of 224
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Yes, they are.

"They should just sit back and take it?" is a cop out. There have been numerous occasions where things had settled a bit after various bombings and Israeli counter-attacks, and suddenly as progress is being made, Israel will start up the counter-attacks again. ...

Complete bias crap.
  • Reply 15 of 224
    Quote:

Complete bias crap.

well yes and no, but again, good argument!

the differences between likud and hamas is likud has a portfolio. each is pretty much committed to each others destruction.

cooler heads should be prevailing at this time and they're not.
  • Reply 16 of 224
    Yes but Hamas is a terrorist group. If/when Hamas is destroyed Palestine will exist and peace will have a chance. If/when Israel is destroyed the new nazis of the world will have their first victory. With Europe's help.
  • Reply 17 of 224
    yes and if sharon hadn't have taken his famous stroll hamas might just be another political party in a free palestine. (likewise if arafat hadn't capitulated to hamas on the accords)

don't forget likud's founding fathers beginnings.
  • Reply 18 of 224
    Quote:

If/when Israel is destroyed the new nazis of the world will have their first victory. With Europe's help.

it's ironic how you equate intolerance with nazis.
  • Reply 19 of 224
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Am I the only person who thought "Oh yeah? *Your mom* is a threat to world peace!" when they first read the title of this thread?

Yes?

hmm
  • Reply 20 of 224
    i don't know, but that's fascinating, let's all ponder that.