Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 241 of 1176
    rrrrrr Posts: 6member
    OK... enough with the UI stuff.

Important but not as important as AUDIO/MIDI issues to me! Ha.

So, I read once that one can use their DV device form the Audio Out pref... Correct? Any details?...

Also, is there a new Audio Midi Setup ap?...

(Usually found in the Utilities folder. )

There is a big need for some BIG improvements to the speed and functionality in OSX for us audio pros...

Also wish we could use mLam or Firewire to stream audio midi channels from one computer to another already!!!

Thanks Brad and others for any info!

rR
  • Reply 242 of 1176
    Does Panther's Mail.app support viewing only subscribed IMAP folders?

For example, with Jaguar Mail.app, when I setup my IMAP account, I see nearly two dozen folders (many of them with a period in front of the name to indicate their intended invisibility). Mail.app doesn't allow me any function to make those folders disappear and not show in my folder list.

Entourage does. Mozilla Mail does (same with Thunderbird), but I'd really like to use Mail.app because of Address Book integration.

Thanks in advance for an answer

If you need me to set you up a testing IMAP account, just ask.

-MacPulse
  • Reply 243 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Can any one tell me if Exposé when in that mode lets the windows update...

Yes, windows update while shrunk by Exposé. It's very nice.
  • Reply 244 of 1176
    scoopscoop Posts: 1member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacPulse

Does Panther's Mail.app support viewing only subscribed IMAP folders?

Nope, that's still not implemented.
  • Reply 245 of 1176
    For those that were asking, I can confirm that the exchange support for mail works. I didn't manage to send an email via it, but I could connect to my work mailbox and subfolders.

I didn't get chance to check out what happens with the exchange calendar - it appears as a folder on the right.
  • Reply 246 of 1176
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Thanks Brad....i wonder why you never replied to any of my PM's

Frank_t
  • Reply 247 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by frank_t

Thanks Brad....i wonder why you never replied to any of my PM's

What? I keep all my PMs and I'm looking through my past 100 messages dating back through May and I don't have a single one from your account. Please double-check your Sent messages folder that they went to the right account and resend anything of importance to me.
  • Reply 248 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Thanks for the iCal shots Brad. Nice that you can now stretch an event across multiple days, but it truly sucks that you cannot split an event up with time in the middle to do other things. Happens all the time in real life and business, hopefully Apple understands this and will add it soon.
  • Reply 249 of 1176
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

What? I keep all my PMs and I'm looking through my past 100 messages dating back through May and I don't have a single one from your account. Please double-check your Sent messages folder that they went to the right account and resend anything of importance to me.

Wired i know i sent you 2 PM's.....i'm sure of it....may have been a software bug at the time....anyway i sent you a new PM...hope you get it this time.

frank_t
  • Reply 250 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by scoop

Nope, that's still not implemented.

Well that stinks.

Anyone know where I can go to request that the IMAP feature of viewing only subscribed folders be added? Is there some sort of developer feedback forum or feature request page?

Thanks,

-MacPulse
  • Reply 251 of 1176
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    As for the end-user, you can go here.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

I'm sure there is a page for developers, but I'm not one, so I can't comment on that.
  • Reply 252 of 1176
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Quote:

where I can go to request that the IMAP feature of viewing only subscribed folders be added?

I made that request between 10.0 and 10.1 (IIRC), and one of the Apple Mail developers responded by telling me that the fault lies with the IMAP server, not the mail client. IOW, if you see a bunch of dot files, you should move your mail directory to ~/Mail or somesuch so only mail is in that directory. This can be done by the IMAP server admin, or (in most cases) by the user if there is shell access to the IMAP server.

I told him that the feature was good for more than just hiding dot files on poorly configured IMAP servers, but he did not seem convinced. Here we are at 10.3 and (apparently) nothing's changed. But then, I complain about a lot of things, so maybe they just ignore me...
  • Reply 253 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

As for the end-user, you can go here.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

I'm sure there is a page for developers, but I'm not one, so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the link. Using the popup menus I was able to select Panther 10.3 and Mail.

Here's what I wrote. Hope they read it:

Quote:

Most IMAP mail servers have invisible folders whose filename often begins with a period to indicate their intended invisibility.

When using Mac OS X Mail, all those invisible folders show up, and Mail tries to also download all the messages in them. On my particular server, there are 24 of these various folders.

Clearly this clutters up my view and slows down my IMAP sessions.

Any chance that Mac OS X Mail could be made to support the ability to only display subscribed folders?

Other modern email clients, like Microsoft Entourage, Mozilla Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, and Powermail all support this feature. Outlook Express 4 and 5 under OS 9 Classic also support this feature.

With the email clients listed above, in conjunction with my IMAP server, I am able to select what folders I'd like displayed in my folder list, and also select what folders I would like to have automatically updated/downloaded.

I currently use Mozilla Thunderbird for this feature... but I would love to switch back to Mac OS X Mail, mainly because of it's Address Book and iPhoto integration.

Mac OS X Mail is by far a superior email program, and this feature would be a great addition to the next Panther 10.3 release!

Thanks for considering my feature request.

-MacPulse
  • Reply 254 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

I made that request between 10.0 and 10.1 (IIRC), and one of the Apple Mail developers responded by telling me that the fault lies with the IMAP server, not the mail client. IOW, if you see a bunch of dot files, you should move your mail directory to ~/Mail or somesuch so only mail is in that directory. This can be done by the IMAP server admin, or (in most cases) by the user if there is shell access to the IMAP server.

Funny he should blame the IMAP server.

Funny because all the other modern email clients (even not so modern ones) that support IMAP have this feature

Hopefully they'll get over blaming someone else and stick it in there. I'd love to see that in Panther's Mail.

I'm also the admin of my box. Mail is stored seperate of my root home directory, in ~/imap.

The dot directories on my box are from two things, the Open Webmail program (which stores an index of the perldb as the name of the directory with a period in front of it) and from the IMAP server itself, with various settings files and what not.

-MacPulse
  • Reply 255 of 1176
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Anyone try running a Windows app in it?

Quote:

Next, Apple's newest version of OS X, called Panther -- which is scheduled to debut later this year -- will let corporations run Windows applications on their Macs. That's a major plus, considering that nearly all companies use Windows.

From this Business Week article:Business Week
  • Reply 256 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Anyone try running a Windows app in it?

From this Business Week article:Business Week

I recall reading about a new technology called Lindows that (independently, or so I had thought, of Apple) would run Windows programs under Linux.

Should I be curious that this article says that <i>corporations</i> can run Windows programs? Does this mean that only Mac OS X Server has this capability?

Cheers,

Andrew M
  • Reply 257 of 1176
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Lindows is a Linux distrobution, not a new technology.
  • Reply 258 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewm

I recall reading about a new technology called Lindows that (independently, or so I had thought, of Apple) would run Windows programs under Linux.

Wine. It's nothing new. Wine stands for "Windows is not emulated" and acts very much like Classic does. It WILL NEVER work on Mac OS X as long as we are using Power PC chips because it, well, does *not* emulate the chip for the binaries. It's a virtual machine that implements Windows API calls. Do a search and you'll find plenty of subjects on this.

As for the discussion about the Business Week article, it's most likely a typo or misunderstanding and people are reading WAY too much into it. There's already a thread debating it in General Discussion. Use that one. Please, let's not duplicate that discussion here.
  • Reply 259 of 1176
    I got to see 7B21 and noticed when the guy opened an app that there was a kind of splash animation thingymabob happening instead of the usual zooming windows type thingy. I know it's not a major change, but I was curious to see even such little changes......

As for the iApps metal Finder debate goes..... who gives a damn! if the OS is speeding up and becoming even better. Anyway I'm sure there will eventually be choice, infact I'm willing to bet that the final version of Panther will give that choice.

One last thing could someone with the technology screen grab what I was talking about above, cos am beginning to think I imagined it!!

TKS in advance and also TKS for some great information guys 'n' gals!

• Reply 260 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crustibooga

I got to see 7B21 and noticed when the guy opened an app that there was a kind of splash animation thingymabob happening instead of the usual zooming windows type thingy.

I take it you haven't read this thread. I posted a video of this on one of my posts on page 2 or 5 (like it says in the title of the thread).