Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 561 of 1176
    I'm surprised that creepy little picasso face hasn't been implemented in a haxie, or something. It looks so ghoulish right there.

I was thinking maybe make the down and right scroll buttons touch somehow?

? Apple could make it less ugly, I'm sure. ¬_¬ It is after all just a concept? a concept I toiled for so long in Photoshop to be realised. ;_;
  • Reply 562 of 1176
    Sorry. It seems I started the logo feud about the similarities. All I said was that the new Panther Finder icon looked like the classic Mac OS logo ( a glossy version, if you want to quote me), in that the nose and eyes were bigger... Are there differences? Sure. But to me, who didn't measure the icons, the Panther logo looks a lot like the classic logo, more than the Jaguar one.

Okay, moving on, finally...

I think the empty space between the scrollbars should have some kind of widget that does the same thing as the green zoom button. But then again, there would be no purpose in having a zoom button in the top of the window. Maybe that's fine, because if you notice, most windows that have scrollbars and allow you to resize have the green zoom widget active. Non-resizable windows have zoom widgets inactive. Why not show the button only when you need it? But axing the green window widget in the top of the window would ruin the stop-light scheme Apple was going for.

[edit]

Nevermind, this can only apply to windows with status bars (because only windows with status bars have this empty space b/w the scrollbars), because you need the resizing handle. Perhaps, for windows w/o status bars, the resize handle can double as the zoom button. Drag it to resize. Click it to zoom-to-fit. For windows that DO have status bars. we can split up the funcionality. The resize handle and the zoom button can be separate.

Okay, I've been thinking waay too much. Goodnight.....
  • Reply 563 of 1176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

? Apple could make it less ugly, I'm sure. ¬_¬ It is after all just a concept? a concept I toiled for so long in Photoshop to be realised. ;_;

Half-sized scroll buttons? Um. No.
  • Reply 564 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    spart you are so smart that you can take part in this

discussion without a fart

but I think you are pretty anal ( a few pixels!!)

Get off my case already!
  • Reply 565 of 1176
    some ideas for the small box between the scroll buttons:

- button that jumps you to the top or bottom of the document

- button that jumps you to the next / previous page

- button that hides the scrollbars

- button that automatically scrolls the page for you

- button that opens a PDF of different versions of finder icons with various celebrities telling you which is their favourite version
  • Reply 566 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Guys, the faces are all demonstrably different. Let's *all* let it drop, m'kay?

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Spidermoderator
  • Reply 567 of 1176
    ... O.K
  • Reply 568 of 1176
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    May I suggest that the Administrators of this forum rename this thread to something more general. There are new builds coming every week or so and we need some sort of simple name here. Something like: "Panther Builds Discussion" or "Mac OS 10.3 Discussion". All for say Aii!!
  • Reply 569 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

I posted this over at macnn.com earlier:

Labels in 10.3 build 44

That's just so beautiful. I may faint soon!
  • Reply 570 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

Also, this bugs me alot... the FINDER ICON... talk about YUCK... Oh man... I can't believe they took a photo-realistic icon and made it into something that I could whip up in minutes... it's so sad... but, I know how to replace it, so I am all set, but others may not know... Apple should just leave stuff that's (good) alone and only change stuff that (sucks).

Actually I happen to disagree. I don't think photo-realistic icons are good and therefore I applaud Apples decision to replace them one by one. Just my expert oppinion...
  • Reply 571 of 1176
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by harryjones.net

some ideas for the small box between the scroll buttons:

- button that jumps you to the top or bottom of the document

- button that jumps you to the next / previous page

- button that hides the scrollbars

- button that automatically scrolls the page for you

- button that opens a PDF of different versions of finder icons with various celebrities telling you which is their favourite version

Right but then you have something that is only used in certain situations, like open/save windows' columns and no where else. So if there is to be anything practical, it ought to pertain only to open/saves, imo.

I say just throw in another resize widget and be done with it. I think it does beg clicking and dragging in. In fact wasn't there one there or am I thinking of the old Nav services...dunno.
  • Reply 572 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KANE

Actually I happen to disagree. I don't think photo-realistic icons are good and therefore I applaud Apples decision to replace them one by one. Just my expert oppinion...

*ahem*

Take it another thread if you must, but let this topic drop. It's been beaten to death, and it turning into a personal aesthetics discussion... no longer MacOS X 10.3 specific.

Next Finder-icon related post results in 24 hour suspension. This is your only warning.

Re: Thread name. Naw, we're still on the 7B** builds right now. When we hit the 7FC** run, you'll thank me.
  • Reply 573 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Next Finder-icon related post results in 24 hour suspension. This is your only warning.

Sorry. Saw that just a teensie too late! Thanks for not nuking me!

[Kickaha: Nope, I just nuked the post instead.]

*FOOMP*
  • Reply 574 of 1176
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Finder icon history (like anyone cares):

1. In System 6 it was a computer with a dramatic white-to-black screen.

2. In System 7 it was a computer icon, but less striking.

3. In Mac OS 8 it was the smiley. However, in large icon view it was a computer with a bottom-left smiley.

4. In Mac OS 9 it was the same as 8

5. In Mac OS X it's the pretty, realistic icon.

6. In Mac OS X v10.3 it's the allegedly stinkier icon

You can tell 9 wasn't a big change because the Finder icon didn't change!
  • Reply 575 of 1176
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

I'm surprised that creepy little picasso face hasn't been implemented in a haxie, or something. It looks so ghoulish right there.

I was thinking maybe make the down and right scroll buttons touch somehow?

Frankly I perfer the standard one.
  • Reply 576 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I think they ought to just put Steve's mug on the icon. Now, does anyone have anything USEFUL to add to this dicusssion. Anyone seen 7B5x yet for instance?
  • Reply 577 of 1176
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

**** man ... you guys are worse than "clients" I pray to god that I'll never have to do work for you guys.

*takes a bow*

I do enjoy being anal.
  • Reply 578 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    7B49 is out, but I can't get to see the seed notes ATM.
  • Reply 579 of 1176
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

7B49 is out, but I can't get to see the seed notes ATM.

I expected more fevered reports by now.
  • Reply 580 of 1176
    !