Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 541 of 1176
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    (Was typing this before that last post with pictures)

---

Right about it not being all black in older OSes (well from what I have access to still)

The old System icon (resource: -16482) and the old Finder icon did use all black lines, which, me being a long time ResEditor, I must have been remembering. </lame excuse>

Not sure about prior to 8...

Anyway, no it's not intuitive as an indication of a proper "finder"...but what would be? A file cabinet? No thanks....ironically, most people under 25 have little experience with traditional office equipment, so such metaphors will be less and less "intuitive" (which is to say they were merely familiar), the closer we get to seeing real life file cabinets go the way of slide rules, the abacus and T-squares (not that I don't love that junk for many reasons, and I think it's valuable to have experience with such old fashioned methods)
  • Reply 542 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    If people really are so upset, why not just save the 10.2 icon

and apply it in 10.3

problem solved!

• Reply 543 of 1176
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

Jesus Christ, is it really so hard to take someone for his/her word?

IT IS the original icon only now eye/mouth are black and it has depth

Take the 2 pics, put on on top of other in Photoshop

play around with transparency and aha...

friggin EXACT same face, oke discussion closed

lets move on already

Hello? I already proved to you this statement is false. mouth/eye color does not match. The width does not match. The only thing two things that are similar are the lack of symmetry in the eyes and the shape of the profile and mouth.
  • Reply 544 of 1176
    Quote:

lets move on already

The funny thing is that you don't even need Photoshop. At least with safari you can just click and hold on the panther pic and drag it over the old one and you see how they match (or dont match, if thats how you feel).

Another quite funny thing is, that with Panther for the first time in OS X history, Apple has managed to come up with an (beta) os where the biggest issue seems to be the Finder icon. That is quite an achievement and a thumbs up for the Panther developers in my opinion.

-Snowster
  • Reply 545 of 1176

The old Mac OS 9 style icon and the latest Panther Finder icon indeed are very close (as far as shape). The Public beta/Jaguar/current icon is vastly different.

Note, I aligned them to the lower left corner of the left eye for lack of a better point.

I like 'em all. I'll take any as long as they don't replace it with a NeXT cube...
  • Reply 546 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Do the volume/eject/mute-buttons on the keyboard work for you, guys? They did on my install initially, but then it suddenly died.
  • Reply 547 of 1176
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

IT IS the original icon only now eye/mouth are black and it has depth

You're right about the mouth/eye being black. And it does have depth now. But it isn't the original icon.

Quote:

lets move on already

You know what you've done? You've provided me with the evidence needed to prove you wrong. I wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

I did just that in Photoshop and made a little GIF for the lazy, and the Photoshop-lacking.

Well would you look at that? The new icon's blue background is narrower as well as the mouth. And while the nose/vertical line remains mostly the same, the left eye moves to the right a few pixels. Also, both eyes moved up a few pixels.

Quote:

Jesus Christ, is it really so hard to take someone for his/her word?

Next time you "put on on top of other in Photoshop play around with transparency", as you so eloquently put it, you need to pay more attention before giving us your "facts." There are people here who just accept what people like you report. Please don't lie to them. It really is getting hard to take someone at their word these days.
  • Reply 548 of 1176
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Do the volume/eject/mute-buttons on the keyboard work for you, guys? They did on my install initially, but then it suddenly died.

After installation my keyboard/mouse stopped working...it would show that it gets power on boot but the cursor stays in the top left hand corner so I cannot get in. Is this some how related? I am wondering...
  • Reply 549 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Is this some how related?

Perhaps to the now seemingly much-maligned Finder icon.

• Reply 550 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    .... whatever

its plain to see they took the original Mac face as base,

perhaps the two clored bg of the icon or mouth is narrower

(WOW... a few pixels!) but that is called nitpicking where I come from

I never ment it was the exact original icon, BUT the design

of the face, (the lines) not if its is bigger smaller wider,

limegreen, made in tokio etc

to quote the words of the famous JohnG:

The old Mac OS 9 style icon and the latest Panther Finder icon indeed are very close (as far as shape). The Public beta/Jaguar/current icon is vastly different.

oke enough editing, time for sleep zzzzzzzzzz
  • Reply 551 of 1176
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

...I never ment it was the exact original icon...

I don't care what you think you never meant, you posted before this:

Quote:

Emphasis in both quotes mine.

It's so very easy to prove you wrong. You're not very good at this argument thing, you know.
  • Reply 552 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Check labels out in the open/save dialogs! Never noticed till now

• Reply 553 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Maybe they should decrease the height of the label. It seems a little tight in the third column, when there's three consecutive items with labels applied.

Other than that, that's pretty cool!
  • Reply 554 of 1176
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    So I assume we have labels in the Column View now, which begs the question, how do you sort them? Or is it like everything else with the Column View: you can't sort anything? Overall doesn't look bad but they're going to need to allow customization of the colors. Those are going to be too garrish for many users.
  • Reply 555 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

So I assume we have labels in the Column View now, which begs the question, how do you sort them? Or is it like everything else with the Column View: you can't sort anything? Overall doesn't look bad but they're going to need to allow customization of the colors. Those are going to be too garrish for many users.

Yeah, they should've allowed custom colors from the start. I hope those labels are based on a single color and not images, like the rest of the interface is!
  • Reply 556 of 1176
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

not to speak on behalf of señor rotto, but i believe he means that a smiley face does not have anything to do with finding files or directory navigation. a totally marketing-driven icon design and use.

to old mac users, the face is synonymous to the finder, but it means absolutely nothing to someone not familiar to the platform. that whole "intuitive" thing...

Exactly my point. Sorry for being a smart ass about it though.
  • Reply 557 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

I did just that in Photoshop and made a little GIF for the lazy, and the Photoshop-lacking.

Well would you look at that? The new icon's blue background is narrower as well as the mouth. And while the nose/vertical line remains mostly the same, the left eye moves to the right a few pixels. Also, both eyes moved up a few pixels.

**** man ... you guys are worse than "clients" I pray to god that I'll never have to do work for you guys.
  • Reply 558 of 1176
    They should do something with that empty box at the corner of the window where the two vertical and horizontal scroll bars meet. Never has looked right.
  • Reply 559 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

They should do something with that empty box at the corner of the window where the two vertical and horizontal scroll bars meet. Never has looked right.

Ok, but what?

(a joke for those of you sick of the Mac OS logo feud )

But seriously...

What could be useful? <edit: nevermind, my idea didn't make sense in open save dialogs, which I think is the few times this white box issue happens>
  • Reply 560 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dog Almighty

The grow box with the diagonal lines that were in a box (I hope you know what I mean, that sounds kinda confusing..lol) fills up that empty block. But when that's not around, I don't know what they'd do to fill it. I think they could just use a white box or something.