Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 501 of 1176
    Is anyone experiencing similar problems with 7B44? When waking up from sleep mode, my 12" Powerbook's screen remains dark. The computer itself wakes up and runs normally - except for the black screen.
  • Reply 502 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by snatch909

Is anyone experiencing similar problems with 7B44? When waking up from sleep mode, my 12" Powerbook's screen remains dark. The computer itself wakes up and runs normally - except for the black screen.

This was in the seednote. It's a known issue.
  • Reply 503 of 1176
    My fault... I just read the seed note... and you know what? You're right!
  • Reply 504 of 1176
    Does anyone else think that the sunken close/minimize/maximize buttons looked squished when they're sunken? I don't know why I find them to look that way, but they don't look quite round like the unsunken widgets do.
  • Reply 505 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I don't know if anyone posted this yet:

Looks like some sort of BT mouse/keyboard thing is in the offing for sure.
  • Reply 506 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I don't know if anyone posted this yet:

Snip...

Looks like some sort of BT mouse/keyboard thing is in the offing for sure.

Thats been the big story for the past 2 days, if you try to add the mouse or keyboard you get an error that mentions an "Apple Wireless Mouse". It pretty much let the cat out of the bag.
  • Reply 507 of 1176
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Has anyone been able to figure out the chinese input options? I've got a palette and I wonder if I can use it to draw characters. How cool would that be?
  • Reply 508 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    I posted this over at macnn.com earlier:

Labels in 10.3 build 44

• Reply 509 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    That looks pretty good. Can't wait till it's in the stores :-D
  • Reply 510 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jim Paradise

Does anyone else think that the sunken close/minimize/maximize buttons looked squished when they're sunken? I don't know why I find them to look that way, but they don't look quite round like the unsunken widgets do.

I find the widgets to look as round as ever

I think they look very good in Panther, and much better than any other iteration Apple has had us through
  • Reply 511 of 1176
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Panther on a G5...why would anyone want a Windows box after that combination exists.

I hear it all the time: "Why would I get a +2000$ Mac...I hate computers. I might as well get a cheap PC."

Well of course they're going to "hate computers" if they always get a cheap PC.

Computerphobes and computer-haters need to realize that there's a world beyond Windows and shitty PC boxes. They might actually... *gasp* ...start to LIKE computers if they buy a Mac.

Sorry...I realize this post was rather off-topic. But Panther really is starting to make OS X look like a super-polished OS.

I now own an IBM Thinkpad (first PC I've ever bought with my own money...because of school)...so I get to play with Windows XP everyday. A lot of people said that Windows XP was very polished and was pleasant to use. Pleasant compared to Win98 or WinME perhaps. 'cuz it certainly isn't polished or pleasant compared to OS X.

I found WinXP to be rather clunky. The very first day I got the laptop about a month ago, the context menus were already drawn as black rectangles on my screen, I couldn't read the context menu choices until I moused-over the whole black rectangle...they'd then show up one by one. I hadn't installed or touched anything on the OS.

Anyone that says WinXP is a good OS can eat it.
  • Reply 512 of 1176
    I was wondering if they fixed the icon selection thing... I don't like the selected icons in Panther 7B28 because the box was too condensed and the little blue hilite over the name sucks... In 7B28 the "little blue name hilite" was too condense too so things like lowercase "y"s and "g" and stuff would STICK out of the "little blue name hilite" and you would actually see some of the shadow...

I really hope Apple makes it possible to turn off this "feature" somehow... I don't know why they just couldn't leave it the way it was... I'm sure Panther is still gonna rock... and I am sure that whatever bugs people someone will make a 3rd party utility that turns off or fixes the things I hate about the Mac OS...

Also, did they do anything to the floating application switcher "cmd-tab" thing? That is the uglies thing I have ever seen... so I just use LiteSwitchX (it actually comes with options)

Also, this bugs me alot... the FINDER ICON... talk about YUCK... Oh man... I can't believe they took a photo-realistic icon and made it into something that I could whip up in minutes... it's so sad... but, I know how to replace it, so I am all set, but others may not know... Apple should just leave stuff that's (good) alone and only change stuff that (sucks).

I'm not too happy with the scroll bars, progress bars, and title bar widgets either... Why do they still look like they came from Mac OS X Beta? Oh, they changed the title bar widgets, but they are still the old style... just sunken in... (by the way, I think they look jagged and dull compared to the rest of the system) The Scroll Bars and Progress Bars look blurry and so does the "Login Items" icon in System Preferences...

Sorry to waste your time... you can continue reading the rest of the posts... I think I let all my questions out. Please give me some feedback.
  • Reply 513 of 1176
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Has anyone trieed to install 7B44 on their G5. I want to know if there is a considerable improvement in 10.3 over 10.2.7. Your posts are welcome.
  • Reply 514 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spaztik

I was wondering if they fixed the icon selection thing... I don't like the selected icons in Panther 7B28 because the box was too condensed and the little blue hilite over the name sucks... In 7B28 the "little blue name hilite" was too condense too so things like lowercase "y"s and "g" and stuff would STICK out of the "little blue name hilite" and you would actually see some of the shadow...

The lowercase letters do not stick out of the blue highlight anymore. I don't know how to comment the icon selectors, I just think it looks great now. The icon is clearly contained within the icons I've tested the feature on. It looks especially good on colored backgrounds!
  • Reply 515 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Did they fix the glitch that causes the letters 'p''y''g' to have their shadow cut off in a text label in the dock?
  • Reply 516 of 1176
    As far as I can tell, yessir
  • Reply 517 of 1176
    Quote:

Also, did they do anything to the floating application switcher "cmd-tab" thing? That is the uglies thing I have ever seen... so I just use LiteSwitchX (it actually comes with options)

You should probably wait until you *use* it before you judge it. I thought it was ugly in pictures too, but after trying it in person, I absolutely love using it.
  • Reply 518 of 1176
    I second Brad. It's absolutely beautiful, thanks to the high quality of the Aqua icons, and the application-switcher-GUI itself!
  • Reply 519 of 1176
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    The font since build 39 has been condensed in the finder file views and such. It takes a minute to adjust from 10.2 but after that you can't go back. It's very much easier to read which comes as a suprise. And it feels smaller more like OS 9.

I love it, and you will too after a few minutes of adjustment period.
  • Reply 520 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Also, this bugs me alot... the FINDER ICON... talk about YUCK... Oh man... I can't believe they took a photo-realistic icon and made it into something that I could whip up in minutes...

This:

is less photo realistic than this?