Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 501 of 556
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I've been...ok well I've been trying to keep up with this thread. Is the general consensus that the powerbooks will be here next tuesday. Or should I say paris keynote as there have been too many next tuesdays
  • Reply 502 of 556
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BrunoBruin

Like the Key Lime iBooks (Paris 2000)?

Ooh, light green and pink PowerBooks! That's the way to go.

I know he used to always intro products at keynotes, but that's changed in the past 2 years or so. Now, speed bumps are almost never announced at keynotes. This PB is borderline, because it's only kind of a new product. So who knows, especially because this keynote isn't as widely seen (I'm guess there'll be no live stream).
  • Reply 503 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I know he used to always intro products at keynotes, but that's changed in the past 2 years or so. Now, speed bumps are almost never announced at keynotes. This PB is borderline, because it's only kind of a new product. So who knows, especially because this keynote isn't as widely seen (I'm guess there'll be no live stream).

I think Apple, like me, considers the 15-inch AlBook a new product. It's a new case, a new motherboard architecture and (God willing) a new (G4) processor. This "second-generation" aluminum case might sport some design refinements based on feedback from the 12/17. I'd agree that the 12 and 17 alone, if they are just speed bumps, would be a quiet release. There are the rumors, though, of a more substantially revised (thinner) 12 as well.

Somehow I have to try to keep my expectations in check so I'm not horribly disappointed next week...
  • Reply 504 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I think next week is going to be just swell. I can't wait.
  • Reply 505 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Agreed
  • Reply 506 of 556
    Quote:

With support from pscates I know they HAVE to come!
  • Reply 507 of 556
    Speaking of Paris, am I correct in my figuring that 10 a.m. September 16 in Paris is 4 a.m. September 16 on the east coast of the US? Am I going to wake up to new PowerBooks?
  • Reply 508 of 556
    Well all I can say is that it'll be nice to watch the updates at a civilised hour for once. Man, you guys in the States sleep on the wrong side of the clock!!!

Will be good if some of the sites have people over at Paris keeping their sites live updated. I can watch what is announced at 6pm....while I'm having dinner cooked!!

• Reply 509 of 556
    Quote:

Speaking of Paris, am I correct in my figuring that 10 a.m. September 16 in Paris is 4 a.m. September 16 on the east coast of the US? Am I going to wake up to new PowerBooks?

You are correct, 04:00 EDT. That makes my big old c-band satellite dish pretty much useless this time around, as a live keynote feed to America would be overkill so early in the morning. I thought Jobs keynote was to be scheduled during the late afternoon hours, Paris time, in order to accommodate a larger live TV audience this side of the pond.

Either way, I still have high hopes for a totally new 15.x" PowerBook G'something.

8)
  • Reply 510 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Yeah, I'd like to get a definite (confirmed? ) set-up on the time thing. Not that I'll be waking my butt up or anything, but I figured if I got up around 4am or so to go pee, I might wake the ol' iMac up and hit a couple of sites to see what's happening.

Part of me, however, kinda digs the idea of staying "in the dark" and waking at my normal time and opening a new window in Safari (Apple is set as my default homepage), covering my eyes and slowly peeking through my fingers a little at a time to see what has taken place overnight.

I think I might do it that way! Then spend all day at work reading about it, looking at the photos, discussing it here, struggling with "do I break out the plastic or continue my tradition of not buying a Mac until I've fully saved for it upfront?", etc.

• Reply 511 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Sorry, but you are utterly wrong. Actually, the 7457 has 58 mio transistors, the 970 "only" 52 mio.

Moto specs (see page 10).

IBM press release.

My bad.

In that case I take back what I said about not wanting a G5 PowerBook yet. In light of what you and TAZ said, 1 GHz G5 PB would be better. I doubt Apple would do it though. They are more likely to milk the G4.
  • Reply 512 of 556
    How long is it supposed to be? I'll get up for it and watch it...have my dad's credit card in hand and refreshing apple.com/store and whatever site is giving a play by play update of what is going on (anyone know if any site is doing this?)
  • Reply 513 of 556
    It's gonna be 1AM[edit] here on the west coast when the keynote starts. If new PowerBooks are announced at the keynote, are they likely to be available at store.apple.com soon after Steve lets the rat out of the hat, or will Apple update store.apple.com the morning after, around 5am Pacific time, as they usually do?

I really need to sign up for 1-click shopping.
  • Reply 514 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal

It's gonna be 1PM here on the west coast when the keynote starts.

Wouldn't it be 1AM PST?

• Reply 515 of 556
    Quote:

Part of me, however, kinda digs the idea of staying "in the dark" and waking at my normal time and opening a new window in Safari (Apple is set as my default homepage), covering my eyes and slowly peeking through my fingers a little at a time to see what has taken place overnight.

One must use caution in such cases. I did that with Tokyo one year and almost suffered a coronary when apple.com revealed the Flower Power iMac.
  • Reply 516 of 556
  • Reply 517 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace

Wouldn't it be 1AM PST?

ooops. my bad again I'm on a roll today. I could have sworn that I had also read somewhere that the G5 had 5 times as many transistors as the G4, but that's not true and now I write PM instead of AM. I really need to get some serious sleep.
  • Reply 518 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal

If new PowerBooks are announced at the keynote, are they likely to be available at store.apple.com soon after Steve lets the rat out of the hat, or will Apple update store.apple.com the morning after, around 5am Pacific time, as they usually do?

IIRC, the store gets updated immediately after the keynote.
  • Reply 519 of 556
    etharethar Posts: 111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dennis the Phantom Menace

Wouldn't it be 1AM PST?

Yeah, it will. I can definitely stay up until 1AM Monday night / Tuesday morning
  • Reply 520 of 556
    Quote:

IIRC, the store gets updated immediately after the keynote.

Cool! I'll be up and with my mouse over the reload button.