Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 556
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I just couldn't take it, I bought a Dell! Dammit Apple, ohh god I've sinned. Serious though, if Apple doesn't come out with a new G4 Powerbook soon I'm just going to keep using my current one. So Apple better come out with a new one or I'll be stuck with just a feasable machine and not a real feasable machine. Hmmmm, so glad purple sticky punch is summi legal here.
  • Reply 102 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Just curious. Why is the reaction to Apple not releasing a new PB to buy a dell? How does that make sense? Personally, I want a new PB, but I am able to wait. If I couldn't wait and needed a laptop I would consider one of the current new PBs or a refurbished one. That would tide me over till I was happy with whatever comes out from Apple.
  • Reply 103 of 556
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    seeing that you cant even BUY a powerbook in the whole of my country - all suppliers are out of stock and none are expected for delivery - if you neeeeeeeed a laptop, as i do, you start considering other brands fairly smartly..

not that i dont waaaaant a powerbook - i just cant get one!!
  • Reply 104 of 556
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Did anyone read the article on Forbes predicting about the release of new PowerBooks. The link to the article is New PowerBooks .
  • Reply 105 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by markiv

Did anyone read the article on Forbes predicting about the release of new PowerBooks. The link to the article is New PowerBooks .

That just looks like a rehash, and it's written as a way of indirectly summarizing all the rumors sites without crediting any of them.

Forbes has had the scoop on Apple before, but this is just a roundup - although that might be a way of affirming the rumors. AtAT has been known to do the same thing by choosing to link to someone else's report of information they receive.
  • Reply 106 of 556
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Hmmmm, so glad purple sticky punch is summi legal here.

xcuse me? 'tschuldigung?
  • Reply 107 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Ok, here it is, if no new powerbook is released tomarrow AUG 26th I will order a current 15in from the Apple store for education and max out everything. And take advantage of the buy a nudle get a bundel thingy. Hey at least it will have an ATI graphics card. I cant wait any longer I need a laptop for school. Whos with me ?? ......Nobody....\
  • Reply 108 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I'm not. I want NEW. The current PowerBooks are 10 Months OLD!!!

By the way, don't you think it's funny that Think Secret, who among all of the rumor sites is the most accurate, has details of the iMacs, right down to the video card, memory, and pricing -- yet they hardly have a grasp on new PowerBook specs, only to say that development wrapped up on them. Huh? Don't you think that's peculiar?
  • Reply 109 of 556
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I'm not. I want NEW. The current PowerBooks are 10 Months OLD!!!

By the way, don't you think it's funny that Think Secret, who among all of the rumor sites is the most accurate, has details of the iMacs, right down to the video card, memory, and pricing -- yet they hardly have a grasp on new PowerBook specs, only to say that development wrapped up on them. Huh? Don't you think that's peculiar?

I also want a new powerbook, I just hope that they don't cost any more than the current models.

I hope that think secrets lack of concise information regarding the P-books is just because apple has done a good job hiding their development. but that is a little bit wonky that they would know so much about one thing and so little about another.

then again, if they DO have a source then it is probably not in the powerbook development, so that any information they get about the powerbooks is scarce and inconclusive, \
  • Reply 110 of 556
    "Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?"

-------------------------------------------------

no
  • Reply 111 of 556
    I was at a Micro Center today in Dallas and was told that their Apple rep told them to expect the new PB's to be in the stores in Mid September. Just words but you never know!
  • Reply 112 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I was at a Micro Center today in Dallas and was told that their Apple rep told them to expect the new PB's to be in the stores in Mid September. Just words but you never know!

First off that is ridiculous if it is true, apple missed all chances at back to school laptop sales. Isnt paris in mid december? So perhaps we will see them there.

Secondy this guy prolly know nothing just seeing like we all are that there are no powerbooks in the channel.

Lastly I desperatly hope they come tomorrow and perhaps ship mid december, at least we would know they are coming...
  • Reply 113 of 556
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

Isnt paris in mid december? So perhaps we will see them there.

Are you smoking the crunch again?

"

Xplain Manages Two Turnkey Pavilions At Apple Expo / Paris

A Must Exhibit At Event

Apple Expo, Europe's premier Macintosh event, returns to Paris, from September 16 - 20, 2003. Xplain Corporation, (manager of Apple's Exhibit Fair at WWDC, MacTech Central, and all of IDG World Expo's Special Interest Pavilions at Macworld Expo and Macworld CreativePro), will manage two dedicated pavilions at Europe's largest Mac show - Apple Expo Paris. "

MSKR
  • Reply 114 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masker

Are you smoking the crunch again?

"

Xplain Manages Two Turnkey Pavilions At Apple Expo / Paris

A Must Exhibit At Event

Apple Expo, Europe's premier Macintosh event, returns to Paris, from September 16 - 20, 2003. Xplain Corporation, (manager of Apple's Exhibit Fair at WWDC, MacTech Central, and all of IDG World Expo's Special Interest Pavilions at Macworld Expo and Macworld CreativePro), will manage two dedicated pavilions at Europe's largest Mac show - Apple Expo Paris. "

MSKR

Sorry that was a typo.
  • Reply 115 of 556
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    This is the biggest mystery I've ever seen of Apple. Sure, Motorola is slow coming up with new chips for what Apple would release as a speed-bumped new-skinned 15" PowerBook, with all the Al features one would expect. Why Apple didn't just bite the bullet and release one with a 1.0 Ghz processor and all the other features months ago to capture some of the school market, I'll never understand. Or, perhaps I will when it is finally released, but I doubt it.

If Apple somehow releases a G5 PowerBook soon, we'll all be surprised and excited, but it won't really explain this delay, at least not in my mind. Apple has had new technology people want; i.e. Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, Firewire 800, light up keyboards; and most people don't want to buy new expensive equipment that doesn't have it. Why hold up a new product with all these goodies over a speed-bump?
  • Reply 116 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I agree with iDave. This really has been strange. Apple could have brought out a 15" Al PB last May. It would have been perfectly in line with the 12" and 17" PBs. A few people might have groused a little about the lack of a speed bump but it would have been a really sweet PB with various new technologies making it a worthy upgrade over the Ti PB. Instead we have this swirl of rumors gumming up the works. I think a lot of people have held off from buying the Ti PB not because it is a bad laptop but just because it is not "new". This behavior really doesn't make sense.

---

Separate topic. I noticed that Monday night Apple just changed their web page. Instead of "G5 shipping" they are now advertising Flash software. That is a little puzzling. If new PBs are coming Tuesday morning then that seems to be too short a time to run that ad. They could have just run the "G5 shipping " till Tuesday morning. Perhaps they would run the Flash ad in rotation with the new PB ads.
  • Reply 117 of 556
    MX ads on the Apple site = no Powerbooks tomorrow would be my guess.

"We'll always have Paris" - Rick Blaine in Casablanca.

Damn I love that movie.
  • Reply 118 of 556
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

This is the biggest mystery I've ever seen of Apple. Sure, Motorola is slow coming up with new chips for what Apple would release as a speed-bumped new-skinned 15" PowerBook, with all the Al features one would expect. Why Apple didn't just bite the bullet and release one with a 1.0 Ghz processor and all the other features months ago to capture some of the school market, I'll never understand. Or, perhaps I will when it is finally released, but I doubt it.

If Apple somehow releases a G5 PowerBook soon, we'll all be surprised and excited, but it won't really explain this delay, at least not in my mind. Apple has had new technology people want; i.e. Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, Firewire 800, light up keyboards; and most people don't want to buy new expensive equipment that doesn't have it. Why hold up a new product with all these goodies over a speed-bump?

Cant work it out either?, still scratching my head!. What was wrong with adding these features in addition to maybe the 15.4"/better graphics, and better wireless?, unless the urban myth of a G5 PB materialises. Its really sad to see the limits of the G4 demonstrated for all to see!, damm embarassing as well.
  • Reply 119 of 556
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Did anyone else notice that the "headline" picture on apple.com has changed? The G5 box has been moved to one of the small pictures/links at the bottom. The large galley display is now Macromedia software (yes, it's new this week, but....).

G5s with a week in the spotlight then...? Isn't it kind of strange that such a significant hardware product has been moved off to the side after a week?

'Scuse me while I go outside to check venus and mars for more hidden information.
  • Reply 120 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

G5s with a week in the spotlight then...? Isn't it kind of strange that such a significant hardware product has been moved off to the side after a week?

It actually makes me nervous. I think it means there won't be any new PB's announced today. Why would Apple put up a new promotion banner, just for one day?

Should find out soon, if it's not already too late. What time does Apple typically do their Tuesday announcements?