Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 556
    Just throwing out a thought...

ThinkSecret

"All of the new models will run a Jaguar OS variant code-named Blackrider. Like Smeagol, the build train for the Power Mac G5, Blackrider is a special version of Mac OS X 10.2.7 with hardware support for the new models."

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/augustpowerbooks.html

Have you ever thought why they would need to upgrade the OS version?

Currently the 17inch powerbook has all the bells and wistles that everyone assumes the 15inch will be upgrading to. However, there wouldn't be a need for a new OS since it already works with the 17inch.

The only thing I could think would be if the OS regulates the processing speed. Because if it did, the a bump in speed above 1 Ghz would need the new OS version.

Otherwise...

The new OS only is another sign that the PowerBook might be switching to the G5 !!!!

What other hardware changes would one need to make an new OS other than the G5 ???

Please do share your thoughts on my logic and your understanding of the OS integration with hardware components.
  • Reply 82 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Didn't you post that exact paragraph above, Dr. Holistic, in that other thread? Or am I imagining things...
  • Reply 83 of 556
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Didn't you post that exact paragraph above, Dr. Holistic, in that other thread? Or am I imagining things...

8)
  • Reply 84 of 556
    I am not going to wait for the new PB'S! I am selling the 12inch PB and buying a Dell!
  • Reply 85 of 556
    SpyMac (I know I know, let the flaming begin, but read before lighting the torches) had a VERY interesting article. Here it is.

http://www.spymacnetworknews.com/com...id=278_0_1_0_C

It all seems to make sense. Who knows if any of the mentioned rumors were true or not. Nonetheless, it seems like a valid argument and if nothing else, it is good reading for those of us dying for a Powerbook G5.
  • Reply 86 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I am not going to wait for the new PB'S! I am selling the 12inch PB and buying a Dell!

And this affords you what benefit?
  • Reply 87 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

The new OS only is another sign that the PowerBook might be switching to the G5 !!!!

What other hardware changes would one need to make an new OS other than the G5 ???

Every new bit of hardware from Apple requires a newer OS version than whatever is on the shelves at the time it ships. This has been for a long time. Nothing new here.
  • Reply 88 of 556
    I was just kidding about the Dell. I already have 3. I am gonna sell the 12inch PB and pick up a 15 or 17. I know I will get flamed but the Dell is faster than the PB for the apps I do.
  • Reply 89 of 556
    I am annoyed by people kept saying the G5 will be in the next revision of the PBs...it's not going to happen. The G5s have 4 seperate cooling ways, and there's no way they're going to fit all that stuff in a PB AL chassie (even in the 17"), plus manufacturing techniques arn't cost effective yet, even for the desktops. Finally, if my memory serves me correctly, it took Apple almost 1 1/2 years to put the G4 in the laptop after the desktop are released. But, like everyone else, I am also waiting to buy an PB, just hope they release to buying something in the next few weeks...
  • Reply 90 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by PSU guy

I am annoyed by people kept saying the G5 will be in the next revision of the PBs...it's not going to happen. The G5s have 4 seperate cooling ways, and there's no way they're going to fit all that stuff in a PB AL chassie (even in the 17"), plus manufacturing techniques arn't cost effective yet, even for the desktops. Finally, if my memory serves me correctly, it took Apple almost 1 1/2 years to put the G4 in the laptop after the desktop are released. But, like everyone else, I am also waiting to buy an PB, just hope they release to buying something in the next few weeks...

The thermal cooling zones are built for the PowerMac's high clock speed G5s, 8 GB RAM, 4x superdrive, and dual SCSI hard drives. Putting a 1.2 Ghz G5 into a powerbook is not all that unfeasible. If Apple has been working on the G5 for three years and the case for a little less than that...don't you think they at least had the foresight to develop a case and cooling system for a Powerbook G5. Who's to say that Apple hasn't been developing the Powerbook G5 as long as they have been developing the PowerMac G5. I think it's entirely possible to have a G5 Powerbook announced at Paris. The G4 was an entirely different beast. The thing is power hungry and runs VERY hot. From what I've gathered, the G5 running at 1.2 Ghz doesn't consume as much power or isn't as hot as a G4 running at the same speed.

Why have we gone 10 months without a new 15", why didn't the 15" go Aluminum when the 12s and 17s were announced (why didn't Apple just hold out on the November 6th update another 2 months to announce an Aluminum 15"). I think Apple has something big up their sleeves, and hopefully we'll see it at Paris. If I'm wrong, so what...it was fun to speculate. But I'll tell you one thing, the next Powerbook I buy will have an IBM processor in it.
  • Reply 91 of 556
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know, those are cool questions and observations. While I'm pretty much on record as saying, repeatedly, "no G5 PowerBook until sometime mid/late 2004...", it is indeed fun to wonder "what if...".

Been SO long. And as you said, why didn't they hold off for another couple of months and intro all three models (15" along with the 12" and 17") at MWSF in the new aluminum bodies.

Could they have been working on this all along?

I don't know, just asking...

Talk about everyone freaking out if that came to be!

Here's something too: why weren't the new 12" and 17" models just smaller and larger variations on the TiBook? Whole new body and style. Maybe Apple has built these aluminum models to currently house the G4 stuff, BUT with little-to-no-modifications or redesign, they'll also serve as the bodies that the G5 will go in when the PowerBook does ever go to that?

You've got your two pro lines both sheathed in matching skins (the same way the iMac and iBook share the white plastic thing).

No, I honestly DO NOT expect a G5 PowerBook ANYTIME before sometime well into 2004. But holy smokes, WHAT if the reason for all this delay and obvious discrepency between the features/styling of the 15" compared to the other two models had something to do with this HUGE surprise or something massive Apple has up its sleeve?

I still think we're looking at G4s this next time or two around, don't get me wrong. But it's fun to temporarily put on your "okay, just imagine if..." hat every once in a while...
  • Reply 92 of 556
    It is SO much more fun to dream. I for one will be expecting G5 Powerbooks, just to be different, and it's good to think different . But my credit card is ready to go and I will be down to my local Apple Store faster than you can say "HOLY $#!%"
  • Reply 93 of 556
    h4wkh4wk Posts: 11member
    The thing I find very odd is the large difference in features and speeds when comparing the 12", 15", and 17". The 15" PB and also not-to-be-mentioned brands are the most popular sizes made today. The 12" isin't large enough to be practicle and the 17" is much to large to carry on a constant basis.

This may be the big "update" everyone is waiting for, and even expecting. The 15" PB, laptop, whatever you want to call it is the ruling class. More money will be made on the 15" than the 12" and 17" combined.

I wouldn't necessarily rule any daydream out of the question. Then again ............ we may get zilch until.......
  • Reply 94 of 556
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

SpyMac (I know I know, let the flaming begin, but read before lighting the torches) had a VERY interesting article...

Sorry to be the one to light the fire here, but there's no source attribution at all in that "article." (Or is it just a forum post? what is Spymac News Network anyway?) And, to fan the flames a little more, since when is August 10 months after January?

Not that a PowerBook G5 wouldn't be welcome, of course...
  • Reply 95 of 556
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Reid

S And, to fan the flames a little more, since when is August 10 months after January?

The 15 inch TiBook was last updated in November. ( 10 months ago.) Probably come s from that .

Poorly worded / structured but the TiBook is 10 months old.

MSKR
  • Reply 96 of 556
    not just 10 months since the TiBook was updated, 10 months since we've had a PROCESSOR update!
  • Reply 97 of 556
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Well, unless that SpyMac post was authored by Bill M., we have two sources for a G5 PowerBook update this week.

Bill?
  • Reply 98 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Here's something too: why weren't the new 12" and 17" models just smaller and larger variations on the TiBook? Whole new body and style. Maybe Apple has built these aluminum models to currently house the G4 stuff, BUT with little-to-no-modifications or redesign, they'll also serve as the bodies that the G5 will go in when the PowerBook does ever go to that?

Well, that wouldn't surprise me at all.

And now macnews.de claims that Steve will hold the Keynote in Paris! Does this fit or not? Powerbooks (G4/G5?), iMacs or Panther? Or all together?

we'll see.
  • Reply 99 of 556
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I was just kidding about the Dell. I already have 3. I am gonna sell the 12inch PB and pick up a 15 or 17. I know I will get flamed but the Dell is faster than the PB for the apps I do.

What apps do you do? Exactly?
  • Reply 100 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by amarone

And now macnews.de claims that Steve will hold the Keynote in Paris! Does this fit or not?

No. Steve would almost certainly have done the keynote even if there were not major hardware announcements. Remember, in 2000 we got Key Lime iBooks and the OS X public beta, and period. I SUSPECT that the new iBooks and perhaps PowerBooks that came in October 2001 would have been unveiled in Paris if the show had not been cancelled. When they did come in October they were shipping immediately so they were clearly ready to go.

My guess for Paris is an announcement of Panther shipping date, with a note that any Mac bought after the keynote will get Panther for $20, and a big splash about the G5 shipping. Maybe speed-bumped iMacs. Maybe iTunes for Europe and maybe Euro retail stores in addition to Paris. That would be plenty. PowerBooks are possible, however, especially if we don't get them this week. At this point it almost makes sense for Apple to wait.