Is the 15inch AlPB really coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 556
    tvc15tvc15 Posts: 24member
    I've just started a graduate level graphics program and I'm going to get what the Apple rep at my university's computer store refers to as an "updated" 12" PowerBook next week. They are completely sold out of the current PowerBooks and will be getting new shipments early next week. I assume that means that there will be an Apple announcement on Tuesday with immediate availability. It's unfortunate that I needed the PowerBook last week. I have a lot of catching up to do when I get it.

Brian
  • Reply 62 of 556
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by popmetal

it means that shipping dates are a poor indicator of when new hardware is released. you might as well try guessing the release date with a crystal ball or animal entrails.

apple manages its inventory on a JIT or near JIT basis and shipping dates fluctuate depending inventory levels.

Hows that animal entrails thing work, may be the ticket...
  • Reply 63 of 556
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tvc15

I assume that means that there will be an Apple announcement on Tuesday with immediate availability.

I'm thinking they'll announce on Monday. Perhaps they may get press in the Times again?
  • Reply 64 of 556
    Quote:

Did he specify any further what 'updated' might mean ?

Not really. I certainly got the impression that he was aware of all the anticipation with the new PowerBooks and that he took pleasure in saying the word "updated". He did say that there was a waiting list for the shipment that they were getting. I really do hate all of this waiting.

I'm going to both of the Apple Stores in Phoenix today. Maybe I can find out something.

Brian
  • Reply 65 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Goddam. You people are reading tea leaves

That's the problem. There is so little else to go by. Vatican watchers look for the appearance of white smoke to indicate the election of a new pope. Mac users watch stock levels and shipping delays.
  • Reply 66 of 556
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    "I'm going to both of the Apple Stores in Phoenix today. Maybe I can find out something."

WOWSER YOu have 2 apple stores near you, there is only 1 near me 140miles away in Columbus, OH (Easton Mall) so i go to the cheesecake factory, glut out then walk to apple for desert. Basically in KY that's it, i don't think there is one in cincinnati, lexington, or in the whole state of West Virginia they need more of these, because with the shows, tutorials and knowledgable sales force more will sell

All i can hope for is an apple rep in the nearest best buy 30 miles away in huntington, WV

last week as per AI was TO BE THE WEEK, now another wait, whew this is getting tiresome, i hope that apple can still get some of the back to school $$$$, or maybe they feel PB are more for college and that those that want PB will look, wait check forums and wait.
  • Reply 67 of 556
    Quote:

WOWSER YOu have 2 apple stores near you

This is the only good thing about living in Phoenix aside from my grad program.

Brian
  • Reply 68 of 556
    i love los angeles for this reason alone

apple store within 3 minutes

another within 15 minutes

another within 30 minutes

another within an hour

not to mention the 4 comp usa's that have apple sections.

needless to say, none have new PB's, let alone credible info. One apple rep said "within 2 weeks, with my (his) hopes set for next week." but what do they know?
  • Reply 69 of 556
    Quote:

i love los angeles for this reason alone

Los Angeles is a great place despite many things while Phoenix is a not-so-great because of many things and I'm not talking about the 110 degree temps!

Brian
  • Reply 70 of 556
    Alright I am gonna sell me 12inch PB w/superdrive for $1400.00
  • Reply 71 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

email me [email protected]
  • Reply 72 of 556
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

Curiously though, the shipping time at Apple.com for the 15" Ti Book which had been holding at 5 - 7 days has just now dropped to 3 - 5 days. What does that mean? Hmmmm.

We were just thinking that maybe due to the long delay Apple ordered up one more run of TiBooks which is why the shipping time dropped.
  • Reply 73 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

hardly a discount. can get a brand new one from ed. store for almost the same. unless it's loaded w/ RAM and HD and other goodies, of course...
  • Reply 74 of 556
    It has an additional 512meg of RAM and a Airport Extreme card.
  • Reply 75 of 556
    Quote:

Originally posted by _ alliance _

hardly a discount. can get a brand new one from ed. store for almost the same. unless it's loaded w/ RAM and HD and other goodies, of course...

Yeah, I don't know about you, but I would call a machine worth a grand total of over $1800 plus tax (EDU) priced at $1400 quite a bargain, even if new ones are around the corner.
  • Reply 76 of 556
    Yeah I think that price was fair but what do I know. And there is not a new 12 coming anytime soon.
  • Reply 77 of 556
    ...do we know that for sure, or just what some website's "source" told us?
  • Reply 78 of 556
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

We were just thinking that maybe due to the long delay Apple ordered up one more run of TiBooks which is why the shipping time dropped.

The shipping time is dropped because the new books will be here next week. So the 3-5 days is the delivery time for the new books.

Ingram Micro and the other distributor is completely out of 15 inch Powerbooks.

This is unheard of. You can't get the 12 inch, or the 15 inch TiBooks. There are still some 17 inchers but not a whole lot of them. Apple can truly not afford to go a week with their products being unavailable. That's money lost everyday.

Let me say that again, Apple will never go a full week without their products being available.

Next week, full revs to all PowerBooks, Monday or Tuesday.

Paris? That's the iMac announcement.

The only thing to cause any of this to not happen would be Motorola being unable to deliver the 7457. IF Motorola has not been able to produce this chip, and can't even get it to Apple to place into mobo's, then we will see a very disappointing speed bump to the 15 only. Pray for Motorola to actually deliver the 7457.

I'd imagine it's the last thing that apple will buy from them, maybe a spring speed bump 7457 derivitaive and then G5 Power Books Summer 04.

MSKR
  • Reply 79 of 556
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    If say the new PB come out this week, then speeds bumbs, mild upgrades come at what pace???? This only helps to understand if there is a g5 PB when in 04 It' not a matter of IF it's WHEN. i would think apple wants out of moto asap, agreee, or if the chips are cheap then maybe continue. but apple sees g5 as future not moto correct, so why not followup PB update the g5 and not simply speed bump on a moto chip?????
  • Reply 80 of 556
    unless we do see the miracle of a g5 in a powerbook before the end of sept, im pretty sure these updates are meant to hold people off until the g5 actually is announced sometime in early 04'.

I'm in the situation where this is my first mac, so i dont care what chip is in the book, as long as the 15 gets some of the features that the other 2 books (specifically the 17) have. Myself and a bunch of "switching" back to school college kids are more than willing to take a new revision. The mass public does not read rumor sites, so the mass public will probably not be as upset with a speedbumped and revised Pbook line instead of a brand new powerbook with the g5 in it.

Now if only i knew when these updated pbooks were to be announced, my headaches would go away and my money would stop screaming at me to be spent. (as you can see, all these rumors cause me to hallucinate and talk to currency)