Paris Expo 2003

Comments

• Reply 21 of 278
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

I mean ,it would be foolish to talk about iTMS in europe if no one there could use it.

True. We very well might see an international version of iTunes Music Store available immediately and THEN info on a Win. version.
  • Reply 22 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Yeah...if anyone here is seriously anticpating a G5 PowerBook or iMac anytime before next February, you need to visit your local Apple Store and have a good long look at the heat sink parked ontop the PowerMac G5's processor(s). If you have a look at the inside of a single-processor PowerMac G5, you'll see that the empty space where the second processor and heatsink would go is large enough for you to fit your head into.

You forget that the G5 running at 1.2 Ghz produces LESS heat than current G4s in Powerbooks. 19W in the G5 1.2 vs. 22W in a 1.0 G4 or something along those lines. Nice mockup though...
  • Reply 23 of 278
    Everyone also seems to be forgetting that the heat sinks on the MDD G4s are also HUGE, although not quite as big as on the G5. And of course they have several LOUD fans. Doesn't stop them from putting a G4 in a powerbook.
  • Reply 24 of 278
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Auream

Everyone also seems to be forgetting that the heat sinks on the MDD G4s are also HUGE, although not quite as big as on the G5. And of course they have several LOUD fans. Doesn't stop them from putting a G4 in a powerbook.

And those are different G4 chips that go into the PowerBooks. They are more suited for that environment. The G5's suited for a PowerBook won't be ready until next year. Apple's guys have said themselves you're not going to see a G5 in a PowerBook anytime soon.

And I'm glad you guys like the "mock-up"
  • Reply 25 of 278
    Quote:

And those are different G4 chips that go into the PowerBooks. They are more suited for that environment. The G5's suited for a PowerBook won't be ready until next year. Apple's guys have said themselves you're not going to see a G5 in a PowerBook anytime soon.

Anytime soon like 2 months ago...but that's debateable
  • Reply 26 of 278
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Yes, but what do expect him to say - we hope to have them in PB's as soon as humanly possible, single handardly tanking sales of PB's for 3 months?.

Your probably right, but why wouldnt apple provide even modest updates for the PB's and the iMacs that appear STUCK at 1G. By all accounts Moto did state that 7457's would be available Q3/Q4, thats still a month away from Q4.

Further, if Apple does indeed require 7457's for both of these product lines, there going to need a SHIT LOAD OF 7457's to satisfy demand. So it may have been decided to wait for Paris to ensure Apple gets all the chips it needs and announcing the updates then. I just hope there at 1.33 or higher?
  • Reply 27 of 278
    hmmm Paris ....

my two cents :

The big things will be ...

1. an Actual shipping DATE for Panther (maybe immediately so as not to slow sales of machines between now and then)

2. new iMacs ... faster G4's, DDR,

Now ... if I were to be WILDLY optimistic...

1. Panther is now shipping.

2. G5 powerbooks coming soon... (no interim update)

3. 1gig and 1.25gig iMacs w/ new graphics

4. G4 iBooks in time for xmas. (G3 is dead)

but really, it just seems too soon on the heels of the G5 tower for a G5 PB already, in which case there sure wouldn't be a G4 in the iBook. I just can't get over the fact that the iBook is the ONLY G3 still in production.

just remember ... my advice is worth what you paid for it !!!!
  • Reply 28 of 278
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Anytime soon like 2 months ago...but that's debateable

When Apple says that G5 PowerMacs are "shipping soon" they mean 8-12 weeks.

When Apple says that a G5 won't go into the PowerBook "anytime soon" they mean 8-12 months.

MSKR
  • Reply 29 of 278
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

And those are different G4 chips that go into the PowerBooks.

Nope. Same chip. The 7455. Different core voltages for the pbooks and pmacs.
  • Reply 30 of 278
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I hope that they will - finally - introduce/provide the same level of iApp-services as in the US and Canada:

- iPhoto prints and books (I read that the Kodak service Apple uses in the US is now available in Europe, too)

- more European Sherlok channels

- iTMS

I am not so sure about hardware updates, but most of Apple's offerings are _slowly_ collecting dust.

Concerning the release of Panther: What do current Developer Previews tell us about the state of the beast? Is it anywhere near GM state?

Oh, yeah, t-1.
  • Reply 31 of 278
    Roses are red

Violets are blue

When Steve goes on stage

He has a PB G5 for you!
  • Reply 32 of 278
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Stevenote: T minus 18 days : 13 hours : 52 minutes

Screed ...(Your snappy comeback here)
  • Reply 33 of 278
    Products/Serivces that I THINK that will be released at Apple Expo Paris:

PB G4 (G5 unlikly)

iTune for Windows

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

New iPod "peripherials"

I've been waiting to buy an PB for the whole summer, hope this will be it...

Also, I stopped by my campus computer store earlier today (8/27), the 15" is no longer on display, and the sales rep told me the new shipment should arive "anytime" soon...
  • Reply 34 of 278
    No question about it... Hold me to my prediction!

Paris Expo Announcements:

1) G5 Powerbook

2) Windows iTunes

3) iPod Peripherals

4) New 30" Cinema Display

5) Revised 17" & 23" Cinema Displays

6) Panther OX X 10.3

7) New Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

This will be the best announcement!

The catch is the shipping dates of all the products won't be that day... but probably 1 month post Apple Expo.

MARK MY WORDS, Junior!
  • Reply 35 of 278
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

2) Windows iTunes

What? So US Windoze users come before the rest of the world's (esp Japan/Europe's) Mac Users?
  • Reply 36 of 278
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

What? So US Windoze users come before the rest of the world's (esp Japan/Europe's) Mac Users?

It's a matter of whether it's easier to convince the big 5 labels to commit to a Windows version in the US, or whether it's easier to wade through the dense, tangled thicket of licensing contracts and agreements in force in the various countries that make up Europe.

Neither one is easy, and only one has been promised "by the end of the year" (Windows iTunes) so from that it's not hard to conclude which Apple feels is more likely to appear first.
  • Reply 37 of 278
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

2) Windows iTunes

Which will bring in more revinue? Most likely iTMS for Windows will. If we are lucky Apple will anounce iTMS for Europe and Windows (US and Europe) at the same time. that would be best for Apples bottom line.
  • Reply 38 of 278
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

1) G5 Powerbook

2) Windows iTunes

3) iPod Peripherals

6) Panther OX X 10.3

The catch is the shipping dates of all the products won't be that day... but probably 1 month post Apple Expo.

MARK MY WORDS, Junior!

You are COMPLETELY off your rocker!

Hell, let's add the G5 Cube, the 19" iMac, G4 iBooks, 60GB iPods with video playback, OS XI, the rumored tablet, 14" widescreen iBooks and AppleWorks Extreme in there while you're at it.

Jeez...

Have you EVER known of a keynote containing more than, say, THREE fairly major announcements? And it's a good bet that 1-2 of them are of little to no interest to many of us.

And here you are, calling for SEVEN of them? Seven of a fairly popular, much-wanted nature, no less?

Yeah, I'll "mark your words". I'll mark 'em so I can giggle my ass off following the Paris keynote.

You might get TWO of those things. THREE, by some miracle.

Just say "no" the next time the older kids from the neighborhood offer you crack. It's no good!

• Reply 39 of 278
    I totally agree with pscates on this one; we won't see too much from Paris. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but here goes.

I never set my hopes too impossibly high levels, so no G5 PowerBooks

I hadn't thought about it this way before, but Amorph makes a lot of sense saying that an international iTMS will come before a Windows version.

All I'm hoping (praying) for is Panther going gold 'soon' (highly optimistic \), wireless keyboards and mice (I'm not a fan of these, but it's practically confirmed), and some kind of Apple-branded office suite (iWorks? Think Secret said in mid-march that it would be available 'later this year'.

Supposing that Panther takes longer than expected (as if Apple would ever let that happen ), Steve could always intro some speed-bumped PowerBooks?

Just my 2 cents...
  • Reply 40 of 278
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

1) G5 Powerbook

2) Windows iTunes

3) iPod Peripherals

6) Panther OX X 10.3

MARK MY WORDS, Junior!

Thanks for the rumor recap.

How can you be so confident after just flooding the boards with questions and speculations for the past couple weeks?

Oh wait, are you MacOSrumors.com source? Now it makes sense.