Paris Expo 2003

Comments

• Reply 81 of 278
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    From macnews

Quote:

DataQuest confirms new PBs at AppleExpo Paris

Posted 05. Sep. 2003 - 14:01 by fryke

DataQuest, Switzerland's largest Apple store chain, dropped the ball in an eavesdropped conversation. New PowerBooks will _ship_ in two weeks.

We're looking for confirmation in other countries as well, but the meaning of what the person said was very clear.

Gee, won't it be nice to have new PBs?
  • Reply 82 of 278
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    I hope this is true!
  • Reply 83 of 278
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

May I ask where you are from? Last time I checked my mail at the dorm - we are on holidays (well, they call it "lecture free time") until October and I drop in there once every other week - there was no badge

But they sent me a mail explaining when and where to get it re-endorsed in Paris - so it no big deal.

Have you been to a keynote yet? If so, by how much time in advance should one arrive to get admitted a seat?

Just a bit to the south of you...

In California (3 keynotes) I went about 45 minutes early, and always had a seat.

At the Paris Expo 2000, I was a VIP guest and did not have to be there early 8)

(Actually, I was just invited by Apple, and we had reserved seats, nothing fancy -- but VIP sounds definitely better). Because there's no such special treatment this year, I'll be there about one hour early, maybe a bit more. «Un double express, s.v.p.»
  • Reply 84 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

From macnews

Gee, won't it be nice to have new PBs?

Knowing the DataQuest folks, they might just be hanging out at the AppleInsider Fora, or read some of the Apple rumours pages, so this might not mean a lot... but it's nice to get a little shot of hope every now and then.
  • Reply 85 of 278
    well now that the iMacs are updated 10 days before Steve's keynote ... this opens a major can of worms .. why update the iMac & iPod if the PB's were getting the same meagre update?

methinks the G5 PB's are a distinct possibility after this little bump.

any takers?
  • Reply 86 of 278
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Updates on a Monday!?

What does this portend for Paris? \

Stevenote: T minus 7 days : 18 hours : 47 minutes

Screed ...This thread has officially been bumped.
  • Reply 87 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by g::masta

any takers?

Yes! I'd whip out my plastic card the moment the Stevester says the magic word, not even waiting for the slide with the prices.

However, I'd say the chances of G5 PBs at Paris are very, very slim indeed. One would have to use a strong microscope to be able to even vaguely see this chance.
  • Reply 88 of 278
    slim is all we need...

hmmmmmmm // slim
  • Reply 89 of 278
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

well now that the iMacs are updated 10 days before Steve's keynote ... this opens a major can of worms .. why update the iMac & iPod if the PB's were getting the same meagre update?

any takers?

I'll take one.
  • Reply 90 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

I'll take one.

Me too. Just keep it under 3K. 'Preciate ya.
  • Reply 91 of 278
    this is interesting, someone at work ordered a 12" aug; 28th or 29th (macconnection) and they said they were getting them in yesterday (sunday). Today she called and they said the shippment didn't come in and it would come in next fri/sat/sun.
  • Reply 92 of 278
    OK, so here's a bit of truth instead of speculation:

Probably no one actually knows for sure what the hell is going to be released. This event has gone from no shroud to fully shrouded pretty much overnight...... Here's what I know for sure-

New portables.- There were no details about this being given to anyone, at all. Just that there would be new laptops of some kind.

New OS.- I know of ONE person who was allowed a copy of this software, which was overnighted from Cupertino the day before he left for the show. He was under strict instruction to not share the OS with anyone. All I could get out of him was that the OS was optimized for the aforementioned portables, he was assuming it was v10.3 and said it had some unrelated codename until the show. He was shipped the copy so that he could image some machines on-site..... but even he did not know any details about the new laptops....just that there would definitely be some.

Kinda strange situation, considering we had details about the G5 months before its release.... My guess is either it's a last-minute type release, or it's really big news. But I'm going with the former.

I never heard any talk of a new WiNTunes or anything, but that makes sense, too, since probably the people I know weren't excited enough about it to tell anyone. I'm kinda in a more hardware-related circle. That's all I got.... but I'll get a phone call soon, maybe with more details, and I'll post what I find out.....
  • Reply 93 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by tjayswift

OK, so here's a bit of truth instead of speculation:

Probably no one actually knows for sure what the hell is going to be released. This event has gone from no shroud to fully shrouded pretty much overnight...... Here's what I know for sure-

New portables.- There were no details about this being given to anyone, at all. Just that there would be new laptops of some kind.

New OS.- I know of ONE person who was allowed a copy of this software, which was overnighted from Cupertino the day before he left for the show. He was under strict instruction to not share the OS with anyone. All I could get out of him was that the OS was optimized for the aforementioned portables, he was assuming it was v10.3 and said it had some unrelated codename until the show. He was shipped the copy so that he could image some machines on-site..... but even he did not know any details about the new laptops....just that there would definitely be some.

Kinda strange situation, considering we had details about the G5 months before its release.... My guess is either it's a last-minute type release, or it's really big news. But I'm going with the former.

I never heard any talk of a new WiNTunes or anything, but that makes sense, too, since probably the people I know weren't excited enough about it to tell anyone. I'm kinda in a more hardware-related circle. That's all I got.... but I'll get a phone call soon, maybe with more details, and I'll post what I find out.....

Personally, I kinda hope they DON'T release new portables, my credit card limit can't handle this kind of abuse!

I am on pins and needles though, so let us know whatever you do
  • Reply 94 of 278
    Sorry for your wallet, man, but you can count on new portables....

I'd bet my pinky finger on that one, because that's info I got from Apple. That plus the new OS update, but that's all that I have any definite, reliable info on at this point. I did get a phone call from Paris about an hour ago, the word is that it's all still secret, but I did make them promise to call me immediately when they see/have pictures of this stuff, so I'll post again after that.

Does anyone else feel like a total geek for getting this excited about stuff that 99% of the population could care less about??
  • Reply 95 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by tjayswift

Sorry for your wallet, man, but you can count on new portables....

I'd bet my pinky finger on that one, because that's info I got from Apple. That plus the new OS update, but that's all that I have any definite, reliable info on at this point. I did get a phone call from Paris about an hour ago, the word is that it's all still secret, but I did make them promise to call me immediately when they see/have pictures of this stuff, so I'll post again after that.

Does anyone else feel like a total geek for getting this excited about stuff that 99% of the population could care less about??

Yes.
  • Reply 96 of 278
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    got my badge too... yippie!
  • Reply 97 of 278
    Quote:

any takers?

I kind of have to agree. If its not portables than something else big has to come. I could see half a show on panther and half on ....
  • Reply 98 of 278
    Holy Shit!!! I switch on the comp and go to Macworld UK and AI expecting to see the usual drivel Apple business news/rumours - and everything is ****ing updated!!! Well i say everything... PBs baby... PBs.
  • Reply 99 of 278
    ... and i just bought a personalised 15GB iPod. Yes - its the most beautiful thing i own - but i coulda got 5GB more for my money

Since ive personalised it, i cant send it back can i?

Please someone reply (Apologies that i cant abate my excitement enough to find the right thread in which to post this - im high man!)
  • Reply 100 of 278
    i'm pretty sure you can't