Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 221 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

Just a word of warning for all UK (and Europe?) people waiting on their deliveries. Apple is telling everyone they can track their TNT package using the 800 apple delivery number.

I've just spoken to TNT... again.... and they're sounding pretty annoyed that apple customers keep phoning up with their 800 numbers trying to track. Apple once again giving out completely incorrect info, just like they seem incapable of handing a box over to TNT within a 2 week period....

*sigh*

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know in case you were planning on trying. Ignore what Apple say, you can't do it.

In order to track your delivery with TNT you need to get a consignment number off Apple.

I've just posted the following on another thread:

TNT have lost my Powerbook and there's no sign of it being found
  • Reply 222 of 336
    I feel for you mate. They left mine sat in Lux for a full week while they waited for my laptop case to arrive. Problem is they sent it to me so it was never going to.

That was a full week ago, and all they've had to do since is hand it over to TNT. They've not managed it yet. Appalling...

Hope yours turns up soon
  • Reply 223 of 336
    I got mine! Woo Hoo! I got it this morning. I have been loading software all morning. This thing is beautiful! The keyboard is sooo nice.

No dead pixels, no white spots and the latch seems to be working very well!

Debating...should I load Panther???
  • Reply 224 of 336
    Did you get a 12" or 15"/17"?

On Macbytes (Page 2) it says someone has got their 12" already.
  • Reply 225 of 336
    I've upgraded the hard drive on a 15" AL PB; it's a BIG PAIN but very doable - just keep track of where the screws go.

I don't believe that it voids the warranty because it is similar to upgrading the HD on the older Ti PBs; why would the newer Al PBs be any different?

BTW, the new 7200 Hitachi drives are a great upgrade; they make a little more noise than I would like (they clank sometimes - strange) but overall, they're quiet.

• Reply 226 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noodles

Did you get a 12" or 15"/17"?

On Macbytes (Page 2) it says someone has got their 12" already.

I got the 15". So far, I love it!
  • Reply 227 of 336
    BTW, the latch works fine, and no white smudges (at least I can't see any). My only complaint is the battery life (it seems to last only about 2 1/2 hours, and this is with AirPort and Bluetooth OFF, and MAX BATTERY LIFE); it's disappointing, quite frankly. The unit gets a bit hot as well; but similar to the Ti PBs - no complaints here.

But, I have to admit, I liked being able to take the keyboard off on the Ti PBs without taking apart the whole notebook, as is the case with the AL PBs. The stock 80 GB HD (4200 RPM) was actually VERY nice: a lot quieter than I expected.

Overall, the AL PB seems stiffer than the Ti PBs.

My two cents...

• Reply 228 of 336
    ok i finally got my peanutbutter17 yesterday and i'm just so giddy!! i used all yesterday to caliberate the battery and install apps on it. i can't so far find any flaws like white spots or dead pixels. hope it stays this way.. but it does have the infamous gap, though it's not something i worry about. on the positive side the screen doesn't touch the keyboard, so i look it at as a good thing, kinda and yeah, as ppl said, this thing is a monster but since i'm replacing a g4 450 desktop with it, i can't complain. the pb runs VERY silently when i'm online just browsing. the hdd started to work like a mad slave monkey when i played spearhead last night.. overall, i'm satisfied with the purchase(with edu discount and selling of my ibook and g4 tower, i only paid 1200cdn for this unit) and i have tremendous respect for the designers and engineers of this product! go apple!
  • Reply 229 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by lemonaded

ok i finally got my peanutbutter17 yesterday and i'm just so giddy!! i used all yesterday to caliberate the battery and install apps on it. i can't so far find any flaws like white spots or dead pixels. hope it stays this way.. but it does have the infamous gap, though it's not something i worry about. on the positive side the screen doesn't touch the keyboard, so i look it at as a good thing, kinda and yeah, as ppl said, this thing is a monster but since i'm replacing a g4 450 desktop with it, i can't complain. the pb runs VERY silently when i'm online just browsing. the hdd started to work like a mad slave monkey when i played spearhead last night.. overall, i'm satisfied with the purchase(with edu discount and selling of my ibook and g4 tower, i only paid 1200cdn for this unit) and i have tremendous respect for the designers and engineers of this product! go apple!

I agree! The gap is not really a bad thing. I hated the "ghosting" of the keyboard that I would get on my TiBook. I love my new 15" 1.25 PB.

17" PB is very cool but too big for me.
  • Reply 230 of 336
    question -- how long did it take people in the US to get their PB from the time they got the shipment notification? hopefully mine will ship on time (tomorrow).
  • Reply 231 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

question -- how long did it take people in the US to get their PB from the time they got the shipment notification? hopefully mine will ship on time (tomorrow).

I ordered mine on 9/19. I got it this morning.

15" 1.25 1gb RAM (only change)
  • Reply 232 of 336
    I ordered a 15", 1.25GHz PB with a 5400 rpm drive and 1GB RAM from the Apple Store the day after it was announced (also ordered FCP Express and an iSight camera). The estimated shipping date was Friday 3 October. I received everything on Friday 25 September (7 days ahead of the original estimate).

The machine has the same great feel as the 12" PB, is considerably faster and has no dead pixels.

Thanks Apple for yet another great purchasing experience.

BTW: iSight and iChat AV are saving me a ton of money on international calls. The economics of it (in terms of payback period) are amazing.
  • Reply 233 of 336
    666666 Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by heavymetal

i swear you sound like the 666 from mono.net

anyways, i just ordered my 12" 768mb, 60gb, aiportX combo. and yeh, the next 3 weeks or whatever is gonna suck.

Tha one and only ma nizzle!

Yizzo, have any AUSTRALIAN dawgs got they're powerbooks sent yet? Just wanna know how long till my 15 cumz a knizockin!
  • Reply 234 of 336
    so someone at work got there 1ghz 12" combo today. And for some odd reason it has idvd on it
  • Reply 235 of 336
    wiftywifty Posts: 70member
    You sure they've not been given the superdrive by mistake Ti Fighter?

Looks like my long fight has finally paid off. Apple supervisor phoned me back at 6.15 last night with a new TNT tracking number. This one actually works! AND the package is in Leeds so it should be delivered this morning.

Long and painful but, hopefully, worth the wait. Just hope my neighbour got my note and signs for it for me.

Thank god.
  • Reply 236 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wifty

You sure they've not been given the superdrive by mistake Ti Fighter?

Looks like my long fight has finally paid off. Apple supervisor phoned me back at 6.15 last night with a new TNT tracking number. This one actually works! AND the package is in Leeds so it should be delivered this morning.

Long and painful but, hopefully, worth the wait. Just hope my neighbour got my note and signs for it for me.

Thank god.

What model did you order again? And did you ask for extra RAM or anything?
  • Reply 237 of 336
    It was just a stock 1.25 12" - no BTO options at all. I ordered an icase sleeve as well. The powerbook was sat in Lux for a week while they waited for this to arrive so they could put them together and ship them out. It was only when I phone them to tell them the case had arrived in my house that they cleared the book to be released. Took them another full week to hand it over to TNT from then.

Still, tracking says "Out for delivery" now.

Phew
  • Reply 238 of 336
    When was your order date?
  • Reply 239 of 336
    I ordered on the 17th and, to my surprise, it shipped on the 18th. Seems I was really lucky as a lot of people seem to have ordered from the UK at the same time and haven't shipped yet.

Would have been luckier if they'd shipped it properly after that. I should have received it well over a week ago.

Oh well..... nearly there!

You still waiting?
  • Reply 240 of 336
    Yeah

I ordered mine on the 16th

I'm going to phone them up now and say that I know other people who are getting their's today - "Where the hell is mine!"