Who is buying a new PowerBook?

Comments

• Reply 281 of 336
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

By the way, I checked with Apple. They said that Airborne's information does not reflect overseas activity and will not start tracking the package till it clears customs.

That's the story I got, too. Check back Monday was all they could say. \
  • Reply 282 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

whoa it is like treja vu

• Reply 283 of 336
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    I'm getting a 15" for my birthday from my boyfriend.

PowerBook that is...

J 8)
  • Reply 284 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

Hey, Cubit! You remember me? I'm tickled! How's your iMac holding up? Cash flow was lower this time so i had to go with the 1Ghz PB15" with the 80@4200rpm and a backlighted keyboard as my only upgrades. I thought while I waited for it to ship/arrive, I would panhandle in the subway for RAM money. LOL! I got the academic deal too on the iPod (20GB) but I think it's insane that Airborne doesn't know where it is for the past week. If it's not here by Friday, Apple is getting a call from me. I want a refund for my so-called express shipping.

Anyway, let me know when you get your PB... both of ours having shipped on the same day, let's see whose arrives first.

Mac's Girl, Sorry not to have gotten back on for so long?? I was busy panhandling for RAM money in the subway... Ooops that's your line, but a darn good idea! I've got that 'original' iMac 15" with the latest OS sitting on my desk at school serving as my fun computer (Superdrive) and some speed and, though I anguished a bit about missing out on the 17" screen later that summer, I've never regretted being an early adopter. My "last minute"?bought as they remaindered them?450 G4^3 and 15" LCD sits by its side running the school's only supported system 9.2?? the travails of being trapped on a PC/Windows campus! I use my other Cube at home. 8)

I went for a new iPod, too, taking me up from the 5 GB I've loved (mine came next day and was delivered on the Saturday??actually left in the Hall in front of my office! but I escaped marauding cleanup folks and recovered it and the rest of my "sundries" on Monday morning. and I plan to use it with the PB for everything.

Now I have a nice white Japanese iBook 500 (and I mean that, purchased in Japan with a Japanese keyboard) ready to recycle to the masses yearning for true Japanese language compatibility I'll use the new PowerBook 15.2 to run unicode Japanese and English and dispense with the two lives I've led. I guess I'll have to set one DVD reader to Japanese settings or I'll lose access to all my Japanese DVDs
  • Reply 285 of 336
    Quote:

Sorry for the triple post. Not sure how it happened.

By the way, I checked with Apple. They said that Airborne's information does not reflect overseas activity and will not start tracking the package till it clears customs.

I had the same issue...built 10/1 and originally Airborne indicated would arrive 10/3, then later told me 1-2 wks. Then Airborne told me maybe by 10/7. I called Apple to complain about Airborne...Apple indicated same about customs and told me to expect by 10/7-10/8. Being shipped from Taiwan. Cannot wait! After 19 yrs of PC's, we will be two Mac family (old PC upstairs in Rec Room collecting dust!!!!!!) 8)
  • Reply 286 of 336
    I just followed up with Airborne because I still could not use the tracking number provided by Apple to view online (yesterday they told me I would be able to track my individual shipment 24 hours after it cleared customs-which happened yesterday). I was told that my shipment will arrive on Tuesday. This time I was told that I could not follow my individual package online...

Anyway, I can't wait for Tuesday!

To repeat from my earlier post:

I ordered a BTO 1.25GHz, 15" PB, 5400rpm, SuperDrive, 1-512 stick on 9/22, originally scheduled to ship 9/29. My ship date was bumped to 10/6, but then my shipment notification arrived on 10/1, cleared customs on 10/3, arrives on 10/7.
  • Reply 287 of 336
    Man! It's been an exciting few days. I've just moved into Halls for my first year at Uni. Not getting too drunk though cos I'm taking medicine for the next few months.

But at least all the fun and new ppl have kept my mind off the lack of my 15" PB SD. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT IT IS NOT HERE YET!!! I ordered on Wed 17 Sep by phone through the Apple Store UK. My order status still says being assembled. OMG!!! I have phoned up twice (both times I was on hold for 20+ mins) and the only explanation is "stock constraints"... well of f**king course!!!

I have had three emails from Apple - one on Oct 2 and two on Oct 3. Just look at the expected ship dates:

Quote:

Thu, 2 Oct 2003 10:33:35 GMT With reference to your recent order, we apologise for the delay that you

have experienced in receiving this order. We plan to ship your order in the

second week of October

Quote:

Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:27:56 GMT With reference to your recent order, we apologise for the delay that you

first week of October

Quote:

Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:31:12 GMT With reference to your recent order, we apologise for the delay that you

third week of October

WTF???

Is there any case for compensation because my lack of a personal computer will soon start to impact on my studies?
  • Reply 288 of 336
    My 15" 1.25Ghz BTO (1 x 512 RAM chip) shipped as of 10/4 in the early morning. It was order 9/23 and delayed once to as late as 10/10. Can't following tracking numbers yet. What's up with airborne and their tracking numbers-what a pain??
  • Reply 289 of 336
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I drove to Marietta this morning (northern suburb of Atlanta) to see one of these 15" PowerBooks in person for the first time (CompUSA...the Apple Store would've been another 25 or so miles and I always seem to take the wrong exit and wind up slightly lost...this CompUSA is about 15 yards off the interstate so dumbasses like me can find it).

Anyway, I was IMPRESSED! It's beautiful and the thing that struck me immediately (two things, actually):

1. The screen is SO much larger than I was imagining (and the 1280x854 is such a nice "step up" from my usual 1024x768).

2. Photos at Apple's site and various galleries posted by new owners simply don't do it justice: in real life, it's MUCH sleeker/thinner than it looks in some photos I've seen. It's absolutely gorgeous, IMO.

All this time I've been bouncing around all three models, weighing this, considering that, etc. But seeing all three of them today, side by side, for the first first time simply clinches it: the 15" is where it's at!

I lost my mind a week ago and was, for the first time ever, seriously considering the 17". But not after today.

Anyway, made a bit of a day of it (no, I didn't go all the way JUST for the PowerBook). I ate a nice lunch, shopped a bit and went to Guitar Center too. It was a beautiful day for driving with the windows down, so I would've gone anyway...

• Reply 290 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Man! It's been an exciting few days. I've just moved into Halls for my first year at Uni. Not getting too drunk though cos I'm taking medicine for the next few months.

But at least all the fun and new ppl have kept my mind off the lack of my 15" PB SD. I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT IT IS NOT HERE YET!!! .........

WTF???

Is there any case for compensation because my lack of a personal computer will soon start to impact on my studies?

Welcome to University! Love this time, it is the best and most free you will ever be. Enjoy, enjoy, and eventually hopefully you will have a 15.2" PB to enjoy along with it.

I don't think they can offer you compensation. Especially because there's likely to be little proof that that's what you would have been doing with all your free time!
  • Reply 291 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

Just recieved the following email:

" Due to an unexpected delay, we now anticipate shipping the following item(s) as follows:

Z07E02CQU, PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/SD/AP/BL/LL

will now ship on or before 10/15/2003

We regret any inconvenience this delay may cause.

A shipment notification, with tracking information, will be emailed to you as soon as your order is shipped.

Now today a 4 am I get an email:

"Dear Apple Customer,

The following products shipped on 10/04/2003. Transit time will

depend upon whether you have chosen standard or premium freight

options. If your order is shipping standard freight, it should arrive

within 2 - 5 business days of shipment.

Product # Product Description Qty ________________________________________ ____ ________________

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Z07E02CQU PBG4 15.2/1.25GHZ/512/60/SD/AP/BL/LL 1 " So now aparently Compal is shipping a bunch out this weekend I checked an airbill number I found on my invoice and it was for 4729 pounds of powerbook parts being sent to Chicago! My guess is all of our machines are in the that box.
  • Reply 292 of 336
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I lost my mind a week ago

Paul, did you forget to take your Zoloft?

Sometime after the "new PowerBooks are days away" buzz in mid-August passed without any updates, I was playing with my friend's 17-inch and trying to tweak it to see his G4-tower, which was set to share the Internet. I worked with the 17-inch somewhat more intensely than I had ever had, and I changed my mind about the it. A lot of the things I disliked about it (mostly size) was dimished having used it. I went home later that night, and was just a button-click away from ordering the then 1 GHZ 17-inch PowerBook. I even put it in my cart along with the Brenthaven bag. I read the sites, and the rumors that Mac Expo Paris was definitely "it," so I made a pact with myself that if I'm going to get one, I going to get the next iteration of the 17-inch since it's overdue for a rev.

But things changed when I saw the new 15-inch. I woke up that morning after the Paris Keynote, as I think we all did, blurry-eyed, waiting for the Apple site to load. My eyes sprung wide open when I saw the new 15-inch. All the lust I harbored for a mythical aluminum 15-inch PB had come rushing back, and I was swayed to order it instead. I remember quickly seeing that the fastest 15-inch was 1.25 GHz, and the fastest 17-inch was 1.33 GHz, and thinking I really should get the 17-inch since I had somewhat made my mind up awhile back. But there was something captivating about the 15-inch, that I went online after I took a long shower, and pulled up the store page. The first generation 17-inch that was in my cart ready for order weeks on end must have been automatically been deleted from my cart. But I didn't care because I was firmly committed to the new 15-inch, and I ordered it right then and there at 6:27 am EDT.

I have the Ti867. Boy was I disappointed in the new 15-incher after about two days of use. Shitty battery life. And it was a crotch cooker. I returned it about a week ago because of its defects, namely my battery was whacked, and the thing was an oven. I know the Titanium well, having had several of them, and boy-oh-boy did the new Al get scorching hot. I didn't have the "spots." But the heat was worse than the Titanium (which I thought there couldn't be anything worse than the Ti for heat), and the battery life was worse than the Ti. I was painfully frustrated.

A week+ has passed since I shipped it to Apple. They told me it would be about a week after they received it until my credit card would be credited, and indeed, I am still waiting. But in the meantime, I have been working with my "tide-me-over" Ti867 that I purchased in March to bridge the gap between the next 15-inch, which I later changed my mind on getting, but decided to get impulsively anyway, and was majorly disappointed in the end. I have painted myself in the proverbial corner. As much as I hated the Ti decision because the previous Ti's have had one defect after another, this Ti867, has been remarkably perfect. They say an idle mind is the devil's workshop, so while I have been waiting for my "credit," I have been questioning my need to upgrade at all. Maybe I should just stay with this machine that I resented, but have now grown fond of because it just works the way it should.

My friend thinks I'm crazy not to get the 17-inch, and deep down I know that would be the best for my writing, and my video production, but I'm sort of in the "who cares anymore," "don't fix it, if it ain't broke" camp, and in the end, I am probably the one who actually needs the Zoloft.
  • Reply 293 of 336
    i order my first (non-ipod) mac on monday!! i am mid-switch and dying in anticipation. i can't stop telling all my friends about it and they don't understand what my problem is and think i'm insane. i can't tell my parents about it because they will be pissed i'm spending the money (which i really don't have). but i don't care because im sooo excited.

it's shipping on or before 10/09/2003 (according to the current schedule). it's a b.t.o. 12" combodrive powerbook (b.t.o. options: 512ram, APextreme). i also ordered the discounted final cut express.

and that's the kicker! final cut arrived two days ago!!! my powerbook won't arrive until AT LEAST the 15th. it's not fair it's not fair it's not fair.
  • Reply 294 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Can't following tracking numbers yet. What's up with airborne and their tracking numbers-what a pain??

For some reason mine isn't working either. Mine's for my iPod.... my powerbook should ship monday.
  • Reply 295 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumbug1

For some reason mine isn't working either. Mine's for my iPod.... my powerbook should ship monday.

The tracking numbers don't work until they clear US customs I am afraid. But if you look on your online invoice you will see another tracking number that is for the whole shippment and that one can often give you an idea of where your stuff is in the scheme of things
  • Reply 296 of 336
    after a SECOND delay in shipment (ordered on 09/18, first estimated ship date was 09/25, second ship date was 10/03, and third est. ship date was 10/14) it fINALLY SHIPPED THIS MORNING!! ahahha.. finally..

so there's hope after for all you folks with delayed shipped dates!

yeeee-haw... now.. its the anxious tracking days...
  • Reply 297 of 336
    toadietoadie Posts: 78member
    I waited weeks for my Rev A BTO Powerbook TiG4. Then I waited MONTHS for my Rev A iMac G4. I finally learned my lesson, waited until they were in stock, and then just drove to the Apple Store on Friday to pick up my 12 inch powerbook. I love this thing!!! I think it may be my favorite Mac so far that I have owned.

My RAM will be arriving tomorrow (ordered a 512 stick to add on my own- not gonna pay Apple prices for RAM). In a year or so I'll get a 1Gig RAM stick- have to wait for them to get cheaper.

At this point I am ready to throw my loud-as-heck MDD Powermac Dual 867 out the window and do everything on my 12-inch precioussssssss....
  • Reply 298 of 336
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Purchasing 15" Al PB, 5400 RPM drive, memory in one slot.

Originally scheduled to ship on or before 9/29. Just got an email it is delayed till 10/6.

Good news - bad news. I hate the extra wait but if this tends to mean I get one without flaws it is OK by me.

---

Update: the PowerBook shipped 10/1. No confirmation yet from Airborne.

Update 10/3

Although Airborne says the shipping ticket was printed on 10/1 they have yet to receive the box. Maybe it will ship 10/6 after all.

10/6

My PowerBook arrived this morning.

Airborne web site never showed accurate information on this. I called them this morning just to check and they said it would arrive by noon. It actually arrived about 11:40AM.

Slight warp of the lid. The latch works OK so far. No white spots. Two bad sub pixels. Xbench score 107.

This is the most incredible Apple computer (tower or laptop) I have ever owned. When I scroll a window in Safari on my Pismo by dragging the scroll bar it is as if I am pulling it with a soft rubber band. With this PB the connection is rigid. There is no lag at all. Amazing. Definitely snappy.

Shipped with 10.2.7 build 6R55.
  • Reply 299 of 336
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I have the Ti867. Boy was I disappointed in the new 15-incher after about two days of use. Shitty battery life. And it was a crotch cooker.

How was the energy saver set? To run Xbench I set it to maximum performance. I left it that way for a while and during that time it got quite warm. I set it to automatic and in a few minutes it cooled off quite a lot. My PB just arrived this morning so I have yet to have much experience with the battery. I need to calibrate it first.
  • Reply 300 of 336
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

<snip>(WAHOO!). That said, who is buying whatever is announced? What are you buying? The 12-inch? The 15-inch? The 17-inch? Nothing? iPod?

Myself, I plan on purchasing a 15-inch PB with an 80 GB HD.

I feel like I've got oh, a 48 hr bug. It'll be here Wednesday when my 1.25 GHz/80 GB HD PB is delivered. Guess I'll have to call in sick.

Note to self: Never rap a 600 lb tiger on the nose when you want it to do SPT. Find another way.