I got my new DUAL 1.0ghz!!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Just setting it up right now I also got the Cinema Display and the Sound Sticks. Man, X flies on this thing. I only got the stock 512 RAM, because we all know how really cheap ram is. I haven't played with it yet, I still have to bring over 20gigs from my old G4 on this beast. That may take a bit, trying to figure out if I should even bother partitioning. Damn, this cinema display is fricking huge, lol.

Well, any benchmarks or terminal thingws you guys want me to do? I think i'm the first one with the dualie, so i figured I'd chime in.

Time to go play

Comments

• Reply 1 of 186
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    congrats, as much as I am dissapointed it really is an impressive mac.

how about some RC5 results?

download the altivec fractal demo and tell us how many gigaflops?

and can you post some pics of the packaging
  • Reply 1 of 186
    Download Altivec fractal demo and run a quickie.

Report the MFLOPS you get.

<a href="http://daugerresearch.com/fractaldemos/altivecfractalcarbon.html"; target="_blank">http://daugerresearch.com/fractaldemos/altivecfractalcarbon.html</a>;

For comparison, a 450MHz G4 running Altivec fractal demo achieves approximately 1.5GFLOPS.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 186
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Did you get a GF4MX???
  • Reply 4 of 186
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Could you try out the Cinebench test program? You can download it from <a href="http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/benchmarks.html"; target="_blank">http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/benchmarks.html</a>;

Just copy and paste your results if you wouldn't mind

I think someone in another thread wanted to know about Quake3 performance at 1600x1200 with 32bit color if you happen to have that program.

Congrats on your new computer
  • Reply 5 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by Eskimo:

<strong>Could you try out the Cinebench test program? You can download it from <a href="http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/benchmarks.html"; target="_blank">http://www.maxon.net/pages/download/benchmarks.html</a>;

Just copy and paste your results if you wouldn't mind

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Cinebench isn't available for OS X. The GeForce4MX drivers in his new G4 are probably optimised for OS X and it is unlikely he will receive truly representative scores under OS 9.

This along with memory bandwidth issues OS 9 has with the PPC745x series processors make the benchmark moot.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Nostradamus ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 186
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Just please post some pictues!!
  • Reply 7 of 186
    How did you get it so quick!? Damn thats a sweet machine. And a cinema display too!?

WOW!

Please post pictures and benchmarks.

Congrats!
  • Reply 7 of 186
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Ok, the Fractal results are-

1st try- 2.1 sec, 6191.3 mega flops

2nd try- 2.0 sec, 6648.0 megaflops

That was with iTunes running in the BG. Without the results were-

1.9 sec, 6932.1 megaflops.

Yes, it comes standard with the Geforce4MX.

I'll get some pics in a sec. What do you want, the boxes and the set up, or just the boxes?
  • Reply 9 of 186
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    /me looks at Celly and cries

CURSE YOU KIDRED!

Pictures of everything man everything.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Falcon ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 186
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    &lt;drool&gt;

I know some benchmarking you should do and it will be quite fun. Can you test frame rates playing castle wolfenstein mp demo at:

640x480

800X600

1024X768

1200X1600

Go get it here: <a href="ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/wolf/osx/"; target="_blank">ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/wolf/osx/</a>;

Oh, forgot to tell you how to get frame rates. Press the "~" key (right above the tab key) and type: /cg_drawfps 1

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: MajorMatt ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by MajorMatt:

<strong>&lt;drool&gt;

I know some benchmarking you should do and it will be quite fun. Can you test frame rates playing castle wolfenstein mp demo at:

640x480

800X600

1024X768

1200X1600

Go get it here: <a href="ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/wolf/osx/"; target="_blank">ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/wolf/osx/</a>;

Oh, forgot to tell you how to get frame rates. Press the "~" key (right above the tab key) and type: /cg_drawfps 1

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: MajorMatt ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

The demo version of RTCW has a bug with SMP support. It will run using only one processor. The full version will be shipping early next month and has the bug resolved.

Running the demo version of RTCW would be pointless on a DP system if SMP is not enabled.
  • Reply 12 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>How did you get it so quick!? Damn thats a sweet machine. And a cinema display too!?

WOW!

Please post pictures and benchmarks.

Congrats!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. I went to the Apple Store and got it

I was hoping for a G5 but decided I can't wait that long.

Working on pics now. It's not a complete set up yet, I have to transfer my old G4 on to the new one, so everything is messy and out of place.
  • Reply 13 of 186
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Ja, thats true.
  • Reply 14 of 186
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>

I'll get some pics in a sec. What do you want, the boxes and the set up, or just the boxes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Everything... at least as much as you can.
  • Reply 15 of 186
    Lucky dog!

You sound impressed with the speed. What speed G4 are you upgrading from?
  • Reply 16 of 186
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>Lucky dog!

You sound impressed with the speed. What speed G4 are you upgrading from?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes I am, window resizing is as near instant as it's gonna get. There's hardy any lag at all.

I'm coming from a G4 450 with 512 RAM. I didn't know what to expect because I played with the dual 800s and they weren't as impressing as I'd hoped. It only had 256RAM but I still expected more especailly from the window resizing. This dual 1.0ghz however, is fasssst. Can't wait to order another 512 chip.

iPhoto is screwing around and won't recognize my camera. I might have to boot into 9, damn, that means I have install the driver. arrgghh. What's up with iPhoto!?! Maybe because I connected the camera thru a hub? It worked straight off with my wife's CRT iMac (she's getting the new iMac, lol, but I got my toy first!
  • Reply 17 of 186
    Have fun with your system that will *hopefully* be obsolete in 3 months.

I want g5s!
  • Reply 18 of 186
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by cowofwar:

<strong>Have fun with your system that will *hopefully* be obsolete in 3 months.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL
  • Reply 19 of 186
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Dual GHz is being assembled as I type! Ordered from Apple Store online.

p.s. Got the ATi cause I have a GeForce3 so I will run ATi benchmarks when I get the machine for you guys. Now I can FINALLY finish my Diablo II game that abruptly ended when my last machine came with a GeForce.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: Bodhi ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 186
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Kid Red -

What brand is the hard drive? Is the memory CL3?

Eskimo - Being that you know what you know, is having CL2 memory over CL3 in a architecture such as these G4's really that much better or is the difference not even noticeable?