countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 181 of 410
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Isnt the Xserve hardware? Technically speaking so is the iPod.

Well, the XServe is not mass market stuff.

The iPod is not hardware IMO.

iMacs in particular have been in need of a major refresh, for what, close to a year now?
  • Reply 182 of 410
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Well, the XServe is not mass market stuff.

The iPod is not hardware IMO.

iMacs in particular have been in need of a major refresh, for what, close to a year now?

I personally think that the iMac FP has been in need of a major update since about 6 months after its introduction. Speed boosts have been too small and paced too far apart to keep up with the pace of the industry.
  • Reply 183 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Thursday, Thursday everybody!

if they release it will be at 9am PST so we still have 1 hr 57 min
  • Reply 184 of 410
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

... so we still have 1 hr 57 min

hopeless
  • Reply 185 of 410
    no they usually update their website and store at 9 am ET
  • Reply 186 of 410
    epromeprom Posts: 11member
    Still nothing new and the store is still online :-(

Do we have to wait till the next expo?
  • Reply 187 of 410
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    isn't it normally 9am PST, which is in 45 minutes?
  • Reply 188 of 410
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    which has now gone

• Reply 189 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

hopeless

• Reply 190 of 410
    Thank god there's always a tomorrow
  • Reply 191 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Thursday is also a day when updates frequently occur, I'm still betting it will be sometime this week.
  • Reply 192 of 410
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    If not during the Superbowl, which I highly doubt, I'm not expecting updates for several weeks, say 6-8 weeks, like the shipping dates for the new xServe.

I doubt updating to the 0.09µm G5 will be a silent upgrade, at least a press gathering or something scheduled @ the Moscone(sp?) Center, again barring a Superbowl ad. Especially if the long and much desired headless G5 iMac appears(forgive my fancifull wishing here, cause I very very much doubt this will happen soon, if ever)

But then again, I could be totally wrong, probably am.
  • Reply 193 of 410
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    I've been thinking... We might see an anouncement after the markets close, which would imply "something big" company/business-wise rather than product related. This always has me worried.

Meet our new CEO, Dick Eisner!!!

NOOOO!!!

Screed ...and I know his name's not Richard
  • Reply 194 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Rumors, you are a...!!!

http://www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/

Man that just became my favorite site of all time. I love it.
  • Reply 195 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

and don't forget the big vote in parliment on university tuition fee's here in the uk...

Blair and the Government just won 315 votes to 311

Say goodbye to education as a right

Say hello to a free market in HE
  • Reply 196 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

and don't forget the big vote in parliment on university tuition fee's here in the uk...

Off Topic Rant:

Looks like you could use some more university time yourself. What is it with people using apostrophes to pluralize common nouns? In my day not even a young child would make this mistake, but now I see it constantly in all types of media. Sad.

On Topic Rant:

Apple is "all iPod, all the time" until the Pepsi promo is in full swing and iPod minis are are stocked in every Best Buy. But there's a good reason for this...

With VT upgrading to Xserves I think we know where the first batch of .09 970s is going. Their first order delayed the original G5 launch and Steve won't make the same mistake twice. He'd much rather have a few more 1,000 G5 Xserve orders on the books than announce new Power Macs or G5 iMacs with no chips to put in them.
  • Reply 197 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Looks like you could use some more university time yourself... In my day not even a young child would make this mistake... Sad.

...iPod minis are are stocked...

Never make a mistake when ridiculing someone's grammar/syntax.
  • Reply 198 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    The update is coming!

The update is coming!

Now anyone know when? Maybe Steve is really waiting until the 3Ghz chips are ready so that he can say, "Look I know we said 1 year until 3Ghz. Well we were wrong. Looks like you will have to wait until, oh yeah, right now! Presenting the new dual 3Ghz G5." That would be so cool.
  • Reply 199 of 410
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    A quick question for Ensign Pulver: Does insulting someone's intelligence after they misplace an apostrophe on Appleinsider feed an egotistical need - or are you simply a jerk?

Regardless, perhaps you could scratch that itch by using your sig to whine about its, it's, or some other irrelevant point of punctuation, grammar or syntax.

For people whose world view extends beyond their own egos, Othello's joke was pretty funny...

Grammar-insider.com
  • Reply 200 of 410
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

With VT upgrading to Xserves I think we know where the first batch of .09 970s is going. Their first order delayed the original G5 launch and Steve won't make the same mistake twice. He'd much rather have a few more 1,000 G5 Xserve orders on the books than announce new Power Macs or G5 iMacs with no chips to put in them.

Good call, EP! Best reasoning I've seen.

As for 3Ghz, I hope Steve (by way of IBM) can under-promise and over-deliver.

Screed