countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 241 of 410
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i wish they would announce them tomorrow, but i just don't think so.... i have a feeling it won't be until the end of next month. the x-serve's won't be shipping until then too, makes sense to me.
  • Reply 242 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

i wish they would announce them tomorrow, but i just don't think so.... i have a feeling it won't be until the end of next month. the x-serve's won't be shipping until then too, makes sense to me.

Regardless of Xserve shipping times, Va Tech wants those not just for speed purposes, but mostly space and heating issues. The space and heating issues will be remedied simply by the footprint of the Xserves compared to their 3x larger brothers. I dont see how a Powermac introduction tomorrow or anytime would have any adverse implications in terms of the Va Tech Xserve deal.
  • Reply 243 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I'm going out on a limb here, updates tomorrow.

ok ill trust u on that but what tomarrow
  • Reply 244 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

ok ill trust u on that but what tomarrow

1/29/04
  • Reply 245 of 410
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Regardless of Xserve shipping times, Va Tech wants those not just for speed purposes, but mostly space and heating issues. The space and heating issues will be remedied simply by the footprint of the Xserves compared to their 3x larger brothers. I dont see how a Powermac introduction tomorrow or anytime would have any adverse implications in terms of the Va Tech Xserve deal.

easy homeboy...

the x-serve's shipping status has nothing to do with VA tech. It's more based on the avail. of the 90nm G5's if you ask me. wouldn't that be a better reason for the G5 towers to wait concidering how much hype the whole mini-pepsi stuff is getting? why intro yet another updated piece of hardware that they won't be able to ship anyway?
  • Reply 246 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by whoami

why intro yet another updated piece of hardware that they won't be able to ship anyway?

is there a law against shipping more than one product at a time?
  • Reply 247 of 410
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The most resonable component to hold back G5 servers shipping would be the CPU. And with servers shipping in far lower volumes than towers the production of G5 above 2 Ghz has to ramp up even more before the announcement of G5 towers.

The first G5s could be anounced well ahead of shipping as the G4 was EOL and not selling well anyhow. Now Apple want both to clear out the channel of current G5s and also have a good supply of the speed bumped ones. So be

8)
  • Reply 248 of 410
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBoar

Now Apple want both to clear out the channel of current G5s and also have a good supply of the speed bumped ones. So be

8)

Given the recent rather lacklustre numbers of G5's sold, we might be waiting longer than hoped.
  • Reply 249 of 410
    epromeprom Posts: 11member
    I work for an Apple reseller in the Netherlands and just spoke with a manager from our local distributor. According to him there will be NO Desktop updates in the near future!!!!! No eMac, Imac or Powermac.

Just while I was in the market for a new G5.

[edit]typo[/edit]
  • Reply 250 of 410
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eprom

I work for an Apple reseler in the Netherlands and just spoke with a manager from our local distributor. According to him there will be NO Desktop updates in the near future!!!!! No eMac, Imac or Powermac.

Just while I was in the market for a new G5.

[edit]typo[/edit]

....but then again, he would say that, wouldn't he?

Also, the distributors don't actually know anymore than we do. I wouldn't go out and buy just yet cause I have this strange gut feeling.......\
  • Reply 251 of 410
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Don't ask him if he knows what's coming out. Ask him what his inventory levels are and backorders. When we see the quantities dropping... and BTW ask him about the iMacs too

My guess: low-key speed-bump announcement in late Feb., shipping in March. G5 iMacs and Powerbooks in October. \
  • Reply 252 of 410
    epromeprom Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Don't ask him if he knows what's coming out. Ask him what his inventory levels are and backorders. When we see the quantities dropping... and BTW ask him about the iMacs too

Well, thats just it. Stock is high here. Everything (except iPod mini) is in stock in large volumes. eMac stock was very low in the first weeks of the year, but now there are lots and lots to order.
  • Reply 253 of 410
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I see this as being a pretty slow year, computer wise.

Will see some minor G5 PM bumps.

MAYBE G5 PB's by years end, probably more like January next year.

Apple seems satisfied with the iMac and eMac so those will stay with the lethargic G4 for this year.

Minor G4 bumps on the iMac.

Its all about the iPod at Apple now.

Should change the name to Apple Music if they were allowed too. \
  • Reply 254 of 410
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I see this as being a pretty slow year, computer wise.

Will see some minor G5 PM bumps.

MAYBE G5 PB's by years end, probably more like January next year.

Apple seems satisfied with the iMac and eMac so those will stay with the lethargic G4 for this year.

Minor G4 bumps on the iMac.

Its all about the iPod at Apple now.

Should change the name to Apple Music if they were allowed too. \

Um... NO. Apple has the processor it has wanted for 3-4 years now. Hardware is going G5, no matter what, well within the year. All about the iPod? The sales numbers for the G5 don't support that. They support G5s with iPods attached to them.

Yes...we are all a little "over-music"ed right now... with MiniPod and ITMS and GB and all... but hang loose, We are going to see some good stuff from Ive this year. I Promise.
  • Reply 255 of 410
    I?m not predicting anything, but something just occurred to me re: the Pepsi promotion.

What better time to introduce new products then when you have maybe 20 million (the rate of redemption of coupons and rebates is surprisingly low) new pairs of eyes visiting your web site.

The next few weeks may be a great time to intro multiple new products as all of those virgin redeemers go to the Apple web site to download iTunes. ?Hey, while you?re here, check out the new??

I?d certainly think about trying to sell folks something other than iPods. Even if only 20% of the caps were redeemed by newbies (it could be higher) and only 1.0% of those people bought something other than an iPod, that?s 200,000 new Mac users.
  • Reply 256 of 410
    This is driving me insane.

I really need to get a new computer, and I would like it to be an iMac so that I don't need to purchase a seperate monitor (currently living off a powerbook).

From what i've been reading in all thr forums, we don't even have a "best guess" to go on. I think I have decided to set a date of Feb. 3rd on when to purchase a system.

The main reason I am holding out for the G5 in the iMacs, is because i am worried that Apple will drop G4 support before I am ready to upgrade again.

What are the thoughts on that? How long do you think apple will continue to support the current machines they are selling? I don't need the power of the G5 for my home machine, but I do need the next purchase to last 2 to 3 years (if not longer).
  • Reply 257 of 410
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Given that Apple still supports G3s, and the truly brave can bootstrap OS X on a 604e, I'm not worried about the G4 being unsupported.

For one thing, to an application a G4 looks a lot like a G5. It's just not as fast. The G3, on the other hand, is missing about 162 instructions relative to the G4 (i.e., AltiVec). So it's easier to support a G4 after the transition to G5 than it is to support the G3 after the transition to G4, and Apple managed to support the G3...

Go ahead and get the iMac.
  • Reply 258 of 410
    x xx x Posts: 189member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

I?m not predicting anything, but something just occurred to me re: the Pepsi promotion.

What better time to introduce new products then when you have maybe 20 million (the rate of redemption of coupons and rebates is surprisingly low) new pairs of eyes visiting your web site.

The next few weeks may be a great time to intro multiple new products as all of those virgin redeemers go to the Apple web site to download iTunes. ?Hey, while you?re here, check out the new??

I?d certainly think about trying to sell folks something other than iPods. Even if only 20% of the caps were redeemed by newbies (it could be higher) and only 1.0% of those people bought something other than an iPod, that?s 200,000 new Mac users.

That's a smart post!

If Apple's not doing that maybe you should call them up and give them a business 101 course seeing how they've had rather bad business tactics the past 20 years.
  • Reply 259 of 410
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think Apple needs to associate its other products, and note that "you can test-drive an iPod at your local Applestore."

If they let people know that they could go to an Applestore, people would see the other products (and Mac OS X)
  • Reply 260 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think Apple needs to associate its other products, and note that "you can test-drive an iPod at your local Applestore."

If they let people know that they could go to an Applestore, people would see the other products (and Mac OS X)

You and neumac have some great ideas. I wouldn't doubt it if Apple did start announcing products, right after the superbowl. Those of us ready to buy are waiting, but attracting more users at some point must be part of the Apple agenda. I just hope they get a Move on. I don't feel like waiting until WWDC to get a Dual 3GHz PowerMac.