countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 281 of 410
    well, there are some things that the xeon can do better than the g5. i guess ultra-high end 3d rendering is one of 'em. all will change with the 970fx though
  • Reply 282 of 410
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Dual 3Ghz G5!

Dual 3Ghz G5!

Dual 3Ghz G5!

• Reply 283 of 410
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

when? source? did apple have the G5 already by then?

Pixar started the switch about a year before the G5 was ready. And Renderman was ported to Linux, not Mac OS X.
  • Reply 284 of 410
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

well, there are some things that the xeon can do better than the g5. i guess ultra-high end 3d rendering is one of 'em. all will change with the 970fx though

Bryce seems to do real well on the G5s, according to these tests.
  • Reply 285 of 410
    ya but bryce sucks. i really doubt pixar uses bryce for anything other than backgrounds for pre-production shots.
  • Reply 286 of 410
    jousterjouster Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krassy

when? source? did apple have the G5 already by then?

No, as has already been pointed out, Pixar bought the Xeons before the G5 came out.

Still, It'll be interesting to see if they move to G5s since Renderman is now an option.

Whatever happens, I still feel that, in such a processing intensive environment as rendering, the interface of whatever app is being used is less important than raw computational power. The G5s brought Apple and X86 land a lot closer, but there is seemingly no clear advantage for either side. As is well known, the metrics can be tweaked to show pretty much whatever anyone wants.
  • Reply 287 of 410
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

That's not what that guy from pixar said last year when they introduced the G5.
  • Reply 288 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

That's not what that guy from pixar said last year when they introduced the G5.

hmmm maybe THATS where the g5 970fx's are going....
  • Reply 289 of 410
    Yet another day goes by without updates. After the Superbowl then, I guess? I am wondering why Thinksecret isnt mentioning anything yet, it seems about time to pop the cap on the G5 rumors, spill the beans dePlume!
  • Reply 290 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Yet another day goes by without updates. After the Superbowl then, I guess? I am wondering why Thinksecret isnt mentioning anything yet, it seems about time to pop the cap on the G5 rumors, spill the beans dePlume!

i've come to conclusion (after reading other people's posts) that apple will release next tuesday, since lots of people will be accessing the site from the itunes giveaway.
  • Reply 291 of 410
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

i've come to conclusion (after reading other people's posts) that apple will release next tuesday, since lots of people will be accessing the site from the itunes giveaway.

Ah, but they won't, they'll be accessing the iTunes Music Store.

And, grasshopper, one can only spill beans when one has beens to spill.
  • Reply 292 of 410
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Got a Micro Center mailing today. Great deals on G5s and iMacs! $200 mail-in rebates on 1.6 and 1.8, bringing prices down to $1599 and $1899. This must be the old single 1.8 since they say the reg price is $2099 and the current dual 1.8 goes for $2499. Rebate expires 2/8, a week from Sunday. New G5s that week?

They also have 17" iMacs on sale for $1299, reg. $1599. No rebate, just $300 off. They say limited supplies. Clearance sale? Yes. I see on close inspection that these are the older 1 GHz iMacs and not the current 1.25 GHz models. No changes in the other Macs but they are trying to get rid of old G3 iBooks with 12" going for $799.99.

Micro Center

The only seemingly current model with a rebate is the 1.6 G5 but when you go to the link above, you see that it's the Jaguar version, not Panther. Looks like nothing current is on sale so maybe this doesn't mean anything but maybe it also means one shouldn't expect any updates until after 2/8 or maybe not until March.
  • Reply 293 of 410
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Ah, but they won't, they'll be accessing the iTunes Music Store.

And, grasshopper, one can only spill beans when one has beens to spill.

They'll be accessing the apple site if they don't have iTunes and want to redeem their free song
  • Reply 294 of 410
    We need a spy inside the Apple think tank, someone who has access to info on new hardware launch dates.

Cool forum by the way. As you can tell, I'm a newbie, a confirmed Mac freak.8)
  • Reply 295 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

They'll be accessing the apple site if they don't have iTunes and want to redeem their free song

and its impossible to adverstise apple hardware in iTMS?????? come on now
  • Reply 296 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Machanic

We need a spy inside the Apple think tank, someone who has access to info on new hardware launch dates.

welcome to our little world. its crazy.
  • Reply 297 of 410
    Maybe when Steve Jobs said "3ghz G5s by this time next year" in July...he really meant 3ghz G5s in r&d stages at ibm's main facilities in July.
  • Reply 298 of 410
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Pixar started the switch about a year before the G5 was ready. And Renderman was ported to Linux, not Mac OS X.

yeah interesting... so they didn't vote against G5s ... just because the G5 wasn't out by then. there once was a rumor that they wanted to switch to G5... the XServe seems to be a pretty good product for pixar...
  • Reply 299 of 410
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    Quote:

That would be me, But I'm not talkin'.

Anyway, welcome
  • Reply 300 of 410
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

I remember the good old days when this place was crawling with BS artists and con men pretending to be insiders. Hell, I think Steve even popped in occasionally to yank our chains. Good times!