• Reply 21 of 1761
    how about this as a countdown:

7 days til MacWorld San Francisco

This one is big, even by our standards

6 days til MacWorld San Francisco

Here comes the "Revolution"

G5...oops, we mean, 5 days til MacWorld San Francisco

Do we really need to say anymore??

G4 iMacs....oops, darn we did it again.....

4 days til MacWorld San Francisco

3 days til....aww the heck with it....come to the apple store and order your new G5 towers and G4 iMac LCD today....why wait??...plus we are taking orders on the new cube, iHub and iTab/iPad...... :eek: weeeeeeeeeeeee...g
  • Reply 22 of 1761
    Topic:

Apple Hypes MWSF 2001

shouldn't that be MWSF 2002??

no worries....if history is any guide, i will be writing 2001 on my checks for the first three months....g
  • Reply 23 of 1761
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by TCO:

<strong>Would they do this just for the LCD iMac?</strong><hr></blockquote>Yes. Think how important a new iMac is to them - it was the product that brought Apple back. And now they're putting out a whole new generation of 'em.

Remember how much they hyped the iPod as a revolutionary product, and it was just an MP3 player?

And remember how they hyped MWNY 2001, with posters all over NYC, and there was just a small speed-bump to the PowerMacs?

This doesn't mean anything, beyond the fact that we all know they're putting out the new iMac. That's a pretty big deal.
  • Reply 24 of 1761
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>Wow. I'm worried that they're over hyping (is that a word?) Well I guess I have to wait a week and see if I was right.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm inclined to agree with you here. Especially with all the rumours surrounding the G5s in the lead up.

People need to be careful to still not raise unrealistic hopes. If you are wrong a pleasant surprise never hurts anyway. Better than disappointment.
  • Reply 24 of 1761
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Now lets paly a little game: Who crack this one first:

The adress of the gif on Apples home page is <a href="http://www.apple.com/home/images/12/macworld-7days.gif"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/home/images/12/macworld-7days.gif</a>; . So what is the adress of tomorrow, the day after aso?
  • Reply 26 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by Anders:

<strong>Now lets paly a little game: Who crack this one first:

The adress of the gif on Apples home page is <a href="http://www.apple.com/home/images/12/macworld-7days.gif"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/home/images/12/macworld-7days.gif</a>; . So what is the adress of tomorrow, the day after aso?</strong><hr></blockquote>

macworld-6days.gif doesn't work.

Anyway, Steve is going to be in deep shit if he doesn't show us anything kickass (like a G5... or at least PowerMacs with DDR RAM)
  • Reply 27 of 1761
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>Remember how much they hyped the iPod as a revolutionary product, and it was just an MP3 player?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple didn't call the iPod revolutionary - they called it a breakthrough product.
  • Reply 27 of 1761
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    You also have to take into account the effects this can have on AAPL... This will surely send it over the 25s, and Apple can't afford to see it fall afterwards. They have to deliver, even if it's only for the Street, after such an announcement.
  • Reply 29 of 1761
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    We have added a new, ground breaking technology to the iMac? Its called an LCD screen. See how thin it is? (The audience oohs and ahhs).

Gotta be more.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: murk ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 1761
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    BRussell,

I agree... any major change to the iMac would be more than enough to support this kind of hype... The iMac saved Apples butt and has become the star of the show (so to speak) not because of it's power but due to the mass appeal.

When a design works it is very hard to allow for any major change... Color change is one thing but a total style change wouldn't be an option unless they are SURE the new style would sell better than the current. Look at successful car designs... Once a company has a design that really works they tend to ride it for all it's worth... just as Apple has done with the iMac. If they leave the iMac alone then sales might not exactly 'grow' but the people will always remember what a success the iMac was.

However, if Apple were to change the iMac and the new product doesn't sell then it would mean really bad press and consumer confidance goes totally out the window. I'm pretty sure I've heard this before but I can't remember where but it sure fits...

"You're only as good as your last design..."

Apples last design was the iMac and a HUGE success by anyones standards... If they are willing to put that success on the line then yes it is a major deal...

Dave

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: DaveGee ]</p>
  • Reply 30 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

And remember how they hyped MWNY 2001, with posters all over NYC, and there was just a small speed-bump to the PowerMacs?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

They didn't hype MWNY 2001 anymore then the other MWNYs. I've been to every one in NY and there were no more posters then usual. In fact there's one huge ass giant iPod banner thats the size of a building in Time Square right now. Plus another one a few blocks away. I think they're hyping the current iPod more then they hyped MWNY this past summer.
  • Reply 32 of 1761

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 33 of 1761
    ...wtf...

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Strangelove ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 1761
    you know, the average person isn't sitting on these boards talking about what the next great thing might possibly be.

probably half or more of apple's customers don't pay that much attention to the keynotes, outside of checking in a week or so later to see what was announced.

to these people, a new LCD iMac would be a huge deal. anyone expecting a G5 will be disappointed. (at least if they're expecting a real G5, i wouldn't put it past Apple to call the next rendition of the G4 a G5)

LCD iMac, perhaps expanded capabilities on the iPod, and speedbumps. oh yeah, and perhaps some of that OS X stuff they were talking about on the front page here, about being able to erase disks, spring loaded folders etc.

edit: They aren't trying to hype our expectations, we're already hyped enough they're just trying to get everyone else to this level. to bad they shot a quarter of the members here into the stratosphere.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 35 of 1761
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    but if it's indeed "only" iMac hype - didn't Apple say it will be a revolutionary _and_ powerful product? iMac G4 after all?
  • Reply 36 of 1761
    Yes, this is some serious hype... but keep in mind that it is aimed at the average Joe-consumer, not the geeky types sitting on this board winding themselves into a tizzy over some imagined G5 machine.

This banner promises something extra-ordinary from an Apple keynote at MacWorld. A new iMac fits the bill, finally reaching 1 GHz doesn't (its only about 15%, still way behind Wintel, and MHz doesn't matter - remember?). Alternatively some radically new gadget to attach to your digital hub. This is Segway-style hype.
  • Reply 37 of 1761
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    Apple, why are you so cruel! Ohwell, who needs to sleep till next Monday ... C'mon G5, hope lives again!

I do think though that it's possible that the iMac LCD could be the show stopping announcement. I do have faith though that the PM will have a highly revised Mobo (faster, DDR ram) & at a 1Ghz+ chip (weither it be G4 or G5). Afterall with Apple now hyping it too, all the pros need something to play with to (not just the consumers).
  • Reply 38 of 1761
    Programmer: I agree. An completly new iMac would make this MW the "biggest" since the introduction of the iMac. No question about that. This only means that we will get it now.

I still say G4 867, 1 Ghz and 933DP or 867 1,066 and 1GhzDP.

And perhaps a small extra thing (hardwarewise)

One thing is sure. When Jobs is talking hardware he will start with the iBook.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Anders ]</p>
  • Reply 39 of 1761
    I think I know what all the fuss is about.

Apple is going to put a G5 in the iMac and PowerMacs. iMacs with 1.4Ghz G5s and PowerMacs up to 2.4 Ghz G5s. Now THAT would close the MHZ gap wouldn't it?

Anyone living in the NY area want to come over and smack me around a bit? I think I need a good one because I must be dreaming.

• Reply 40 of 1761
    markmark Posts: 143member
    This can only mean one thing...

New patterns for CRT iMacs! "Granola" and, uh, "Grass."

I'm moved already.

Cheers,

Mark.