Apple Hypes MWSF 2002

Comments

• Reply 141 of 1761
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    This is really hard to judge. If it is just us dreaming on these boards, making up ideas with no consequences, then we could blow all the usual smoke. However, Apple is a publicly traded company which has to live up to the consequences of its proclomations. Look how bad it was for them last summer when the expectations were driven solely by outside forces. For Apple to raise expectations on their own their must be something substantial behind this. It may not be the G5 but it has to be something substantial.
  • Reply 142 of 1761
    /\ldie/\ldie Posts: 70member
    I just wanted to say that stevie boy must have some friggin huge b@lls by telling it's customers on their Apple.com homepage to get ready for being blown away®
  • Reply 143 of 1761
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    Ok, let's say we should be interpreting these little "hints" literally... the first one, "This One is Big, Even by Our Standards"

So what does Apple make that's 'big' or even 'bigger' than it's competitors? How about the Cinema Display? At 22" it's pretty a pretty big flat screen, so maybe Apple plans on coming out with an even bigger one? Hmmm?

And now we have "Count the Days, Count the Minutes, Count on Being Blown Away." What could one use to "count the days?" An Apple PDA perhaps? I doubt it, but it's the most logical, outside of an Apple watch, lol, and that would hardly blow anyone away.

any other ideas?

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 144 of 1761
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The real facts are that nobody on this forum knows what Apple has in store. The only time info has been correct is when it is leaked out the day before an Expo. We're involved in an excercise in futility.

Now, it's a beautiful day outside here in South Florida and I'm going to spend time with family and friends. Monday will be here soon enough and we'll all know the truth then (and there will be the usual disappoinments from folks who will never be satisfied with anything Apple does. You know who you are!
  • Reply 145 of 1761
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, steve and his cronies must be watching these boards and loving it. man-o-man, they've whipped us into a frenzy, and there's STILL SIX DAYS LEFT!

remember, hype like this has not been done since the days of "Pro, Go, Whoa" - remember that? the night before the unveiling of the original iMac? and they only devoted ONE NIGHT to that hype...

my only prediction (for what it's worth):

new iMac form factor with LCD (yeah, essentially what everyone already knows, so it ain't much of a prediction - anymore classified info., though, and i would have to kill you).

thought i don't "think" that's enough to warrant this sort of hype, so that can only be part of the grand scheme...
  • Reply 146 of 1761
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    The Apple site seems to be down.

9:44am CST
  • Reply 147 of 1761
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I can't get it either, and my mac.com email is all screwed up...
  • Reply 148 of 1761
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I remember an interview with Jobs about a year ago? He was talking about Apple's new focus on killer apps. At one point he mentions that one of the upcoming apps is the best thing Apple has ever done. That's a bold statement. Apple created the PC market. Apple popularized the GUI computer. What next? Could this killer app be part of the big announcement?
  • Reply 149 of 1761
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep, apple's been slashdotted six days early (hope they're happy - geeks feed on hype).

and murk, i assumed that app was itunes.
  • Reply 150 of 1761
    Don't forget rack mount OS X (G5?) workgroup servers! This WILL happen, as I have spoken to sources who can confirm this. But will it happen at MWSF02? My guess is "YES!"
  • Reply 151 of 1761
    And why is apple.com down now? :eek:
  • Reply 152 of 1761
    icomicom Posts: 41member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>I can't get it either, and my mac.com email is all screwed up...</strong><hr></blockquote>

My guess, they put there homepage on a new G5 for testing purposes

Anyway, i'm already eating my keyboard from the tension this is creating ;o)

Does anyone have the info regarding receiving the keynote through satelite

[ 01-01-2002: Message edited by: iCom ]</p>
  • Reply 153 of 1761
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    connect.apple.com is down as well.
  • Reply 154 of 1761
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

Okay. Here's what we know:

The PowerBook G4 will not be recieving an upgrade. It was just bumped about a week ago to include the combo drives, and even BTOs are 5 day shipping. Does Apple reallly want to make people who just bought a new TiBook for full price right after it came out angry by releasing a 733 MHz TiBook? Maybe they will do this, but the cost will have to be around $3700.

But the biggest deal about the TiBook not getting a bump is when it was bumped. That was last week. Why would Apple release a 'new' (I know, it's just a combo drive/more RAM), TiBook just a few days before Macworld? If Steve truly didn't have anything to show off at MWSF, he would have saved the TiBook bump for his keynote.

We are also pretty sure that the iPod isn't going to get bumped. It was just introduced over a month ago, and seems to be a big hit. So count the iPod out (but not another digitial device, perhaps).

So that leaves the rest of the product lines:

iMac

iBook

Power Mac

Apple also could deal with it's iSoftware, as well as expanding the product line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

err... the iBook is only a week older than the iPod, so both iBook and iPod have the same amout of likeliness of being updated.

And could somebody explain to me the meaning of "Pro. Go. Whoa."?

Thanks folks.

Only 6 days and 33 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets

olli_g
  • Reply 155 of 1761
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    [quote]err... the iBook is only a week older than the iPod, so both iBook and iPod have the same amout of likeliness of being updated.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, but we're not seeing the hints about the iPod that we are about the iBook. Just too many thing leading to an iBook update.

I'm certain it will get some kind of revision. I'd bet $100 on it. (see my other thread in this forum)
  • Reply 156 of 1761
    Today's the day here in Europe that 12 countries will have their currency replaced with the Euro (? &lt;-- everybody who doesn't see this Euro symbol is lame :cool: ). Perhaps that's the reason, they're probably just updating their servers, because the other international Apple-Servers (e.g. Switzerland) don't work neither.

Damn.

Only 6 days and 25 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets

olli_g
  • Reply 157 of 1761
    icomicom Posts: 41member
    [quote]Originally posted by olli_g:

<strong>Today's the day here in Europe that 12 countries will have their currency replaced with the Euro (? &lt;-- everybody who doesn't see this Euro symbol is lame :cool: ). Perhaps that's the reason, they're probably just updating their servers, because the other international Apple-Servers (e.g. Switzerland) don't work neither.

Damn.

Only 6 days and 25 minutes left. Oh God.

Greets

olli_g</strong><hr></blockquote>

They did that a long time ago, the store was offline during a whole week . Even a few days later they adjusted the prices on some models .
  • Reply 158 of 1761
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    OMG!! I just discovered the secret!

Convert "This one is big. Even by our standards." to Hexadecimal. Then, figure the ASCII characters, and it comes out as:

"New LCD iMac."

I swear to God!

Then, do the same for: "Count the Days, Count the Minutes, Count on Being Blown Away," but first translate these words to Latin. Then look up the verses in the Bible that correspond to the binary translation of the Latin. Convert those Bible verses to the Hebrew numerical equivalents, and then back to the English alphabet, and you get:

"¶*2?Æ;' H& Â$¬¬¬*04"
  • Reply 159 of 1761
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Arrrggghhhh, Im going insane, Im gonna spill....

Powermac

Low

---

867MHZ Apollo G4 (1MB L3) 256MB DDR GF2MX32MB CDRW/comboBTO $1499

Low Mid

-------

Dual 1GHZ Apollo (2MB L3) 256MB DDR GF2MX SDrive $1899

Mid

---

Single 1.4GHZ G5 (512K L2 2MB L3) 512mb DDR 64MB GF3 Superdrive $2499

High

----

Dual 1.2 GHZ G5 (512K L2 2MB l3) 512mb DDR 64MB GF3 Superdrive $3499

iMac

----

Low

---

733Mhz G3, 128MB PC133 Rage 128+ CRT CDRW $799

Low Mid

867 G3 256MB PC133 Radeon CRT Combodrive $1099

Imac2

-----

800MHZ G4Apollo 256MB PC133 Radoen LCD 1280*960 Combo $1299

933MHZ Apollo 512 MB PC133 Radeon Superdrive LCD 1280*960 $1599

---------------------------

Going into hiding shortly

---------------------------
  • Reply 160 of 1761
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    Apple is clearly teasing *us*, because the guys actually going to check apple.com every day until MWSF are quite likely to roam on boards such as AI... And Apple issued no denials about all the wild rumors going on, even though they did say they wouldn't release any new hardware at AppleExpo... They've been rated "outperform by <a href="http://www.stockpickreport.com/"; target="_blank">SPR</a>... And IMHO, the "even by our standards" is directly directed at the small community that is actually aware of the wildest of rumors. Directed at all those that keep saying "nah, Apple wouldn't update so many products, they would overshadow one another".

So this still doesn't tell us what's brewing, and we probably won't know until MWSF... However, I think there is something in the pipeline that we're not even remotely aware of. Something that just hasn't ever leaked, and Apple can manage this...

Apple knows something, and I'm quite confident we will be blown away. Steve might even do a quick reference to the mac underworld, he has in the past...

Gotta love this