10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 159
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

So SMB works again EDS666? I was going to take the leap but then I got the jitters...think i'll sleep on it.

Works better than I've ever seen it work under X
  • Reply 62 of 159
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I second that.
  • Reply 63 of 159
    Arstechnica people are reporting that 10.3.3 breaks Dave.

Quote from "armwt"

Break report #1

Can't connect to a single Windows/active directory share using Dave (Thursby Systems) anymore. "Error -1". Suckage - will keep me from deploying this in the office until that is fixed, or I figure out why it's doing it.

[edit... for a better description:

I have my network home folder mounted in the dock. Rebooted, go click on the home folder, I've just locked up the dock - currently about 6 minutes, just a beachball if I move the mouse down to the dock..... had to kill the dock from the terminal
  • Reply 64 of 159
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Anyone notice the animation when you drag a file into a folder? I don't remember that before.

Haha...that's been there since 10.0.

No just kiddin'. But it has been there since 10.3.
  • Reply 65 of 159
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hmmm. My RS-1500 UPS doesn't even have a USB port, which is maybe why my system isn't sensing the thing's presence (although my G5 IS plugged into the protected electrical terminals of the UPS). It has a "data" port, but that's for ethernet devices I think.

You have to have a *data* connection to the UPS for it to talk to the computer... it's not like it sends magic electricity across the power cable.

My APC USB UPS was recognized immediately, I made sure to *REMOVE* PowerChute before rebooting, both the /Library/StartupItems and /Library/PreferencePanes items. All looks good, and I *love* seeing how much battery I have left!
  • Reply 66 of 159
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hmmm. My RS-1500 UPS doesn't even have a USB port, which is maybe why my system isn't sensing the thing's presence (although my G5 IS plugged into the protected electrical terminals of the UPS). It has a "data" port, but that's for ethernet devices I think.

The data port on my 1500 also looks like a ethernet port. However the cable I use to plug in into my G5 has a ethernet port on one end and a USB port on the other.
  • Reply 67 of 159
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The Finder and all things "interface" seem a bit *Snappier*®. iChat seems to function much faster, esp. loading the Buddy List. I haven't really noticed much else.
  • Reply 68 of 159
    ya, i'm waiting to see how rev A. 12 " powerbooks sound on 10.3.3

I have had my powerbook back on 10.3.1 ever since those first few weeks of roaring fans and 10.3.2! Did Apple change this back to an acceptable setting? I fear that I might be stuck at 10.3.1 forever.
  • Reply 69 of 159
    All good on the Kickaha Front...

10.3.3 on the 15" AlBook, 10.3.3 Server on the .35GHz G3.
  • Reply 70 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

ya, i'm waiting to see how rev A. 12 " powerbooks sound on 10.3.3

I have had my powerbook back on 10.3.1 ever since those first few weeks of roaring fans and 10.3.2! Did Apple change this back to an acceptable setting? I fear that I might be stuck at 10.3.1 forever.

The fan on my 12 Rev B comes on much more often now.
  • Reply 71 of 159
    Weird - my PB is running about 110deg now... it was running 125-135 before this update.
  • Reply 72 of 159
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Kickaha

Weird - my PB is running about 110deg now... it was running 125-135 before this update. [/QUOTE

Honestly, I had never heard the sound of the fan come on. Now, my rev B 12 incher sounds rather loud, especially when used in clamshell mode. When used all by itself, without the external monitor, it's quieter. I have not quantified any of this in any real way; I just know, that I finally heard the sound of the fan come on!
  • Reply 73 of 159
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Also: does the PBG4 12" rev a fan still kick in to high gear almost all the time?

Mine kicked in during the install - it hardly ever turns on, so I had to put it to my ear to see if it was the hd or the fan!

Haven't heard the fan since the reboot.
  • Reply 74 of 159
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Thank heaven for the return of the fn-key toggle.

So far so good on my 15" Al. Powerbook.

Will try out the enhanced networking tomorrow at the studio.
  • Reply 75 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Mine kicked in during the install - it hardly ever turns on, so I had to put it to my ear to see if it was the hd or the fan!

Haven't heard the fan since the reboot.

I upgraded a client of mine's rev A 12 incher to 10.3.2 the other day; he was horrified to hear the fan come on. The fan does not stop! I tried to explain to him that it's better to have the fan on most of the time than burning your family jewels. He did not want to hear any of it. Hopefully, once I've updated his computer to 10.3.3, the noise problem will be mitigated a little bit.
  • Reply 76 of 159
    hey again,

just to note, ive had improved preformance in quicktime, movies seem to play back more fluidly when they are in the background.

ive also had way better sound from my revolution 7.1 sound card. the rear channel are now loud and clear, where as before they were very crackly. however, has anyone noticed safari will sometimes take up all availiable CPU for some reason? so java or flash or anything... and only when it's in the foreground.... anyone?
  • Reply 77 of 159
    Just got it installed and ran the updates. Now typing is slower in Safari! And I had the latest version and all. For some reason before this update in 10.3.2 I it was not this slow in typing. Please fix this already Apple! (For some reason this did not happen with the Safari update on the iBook like it did on my G4 Cube). Other stuff? Well, haven't used it long enough yet. Just glad to see it did not do anything from what I can tell to my battery life.
  • Reply 78 of 159
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Just got it installed and ran the updates. Now typing is slower in Safari! And I had the latest version and all. For some reason before this update in 10.3.2 I it was not this slow in typing. Please fix this already Apple! (For some reason this did not happen with the Safari update on the iBook like it did on my G4 Cube). Other stuff? Well, haven't used it long enough yet. Just glad to see it did not do anything from what I can tell to my battery life.

Turn off animated gifs. That makes it completely normal again.

Did you do the IOReg command yet?
  • Reply 79 of 159
    Just FYI, I posted the by now semi-un-yet-traditionally-official edited Archive.bom listing for 10.3.3 over here. Lots o' goodies to ponder.
  • Reply 80 of 159
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Turn off animated gifs. That makes it completely normal again.

Did you do the IOReg command yet?

Why are you using Safari?