10.3.3 is officially out - anyone install it yet?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 159
    My boot time went from ~1 minute in 10.3.2 to just under 30 seconds under 10.3.3.
  • Reply 82 of 159
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    any word on pith helmet compatibility?

what is safari's new build number?
  • Reply 83 of 159
    Wait... I did not think Safari was updated. And I use Safari because I LIKE it. If you don't like it, go ahead and use whatever you want. Anyways, back on topic, the build is 1.2.1. I am using PithHelmet, but as I stated, typing was not this slow before the update, and changed no settings afterwards. Sorry torifile for not making it clearer, I did run ioreg again and got the same results as I did before the update....
  • Reply 84 of 159
    ads are still blocked, so pithhelmet seems to have transitioned to 10.3.3 fine

Safari reports 1.2.1 (v125.1)

seems Snappier
  • Reply 85 of 159
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    lovely. 10.3.3 appears to have eliminated a very frustrating audio-skipping flaw, which occured every time the screen backlight toggled its power. but no more!

still broken: stickies. crashes on me several times a day, usually while sitting idly in the background.

has anyone else experienced this?
  • Reply 86 of 159
    The only problem I am having with 10.3.3 is that Quake 3 1.3.2 still quits when I am killed with a plasma gun.
  • Reply 87 of 159
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Gilhooly

The only problem I am having with 10.3.3 is that Quake 3 1.3.2 still quits when I am killed with a plasma gun.

That's strictly a Quake 3 related issue. Try using an older build of Q3a (the pre-altivec/10.2 ones).
  • Reply 88 of 159
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Some questions for 12" Powerbook users (867 MHz, first generation):

(1) Does the power management unit coccuption (the system erroneously reports the CPU frequency as 533 MHz) still occurs after a restart or cold startup? Otherwise stated, is still necessary to reset by hand the PMU before startup?

(2) How about audio skip under network activity?

(3) How is the fan? At what temperature it fires up? You can monitor the temperature with, what else , Temperature Monitor.

Thanks.
  • Reply 89 of 159
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Installed 10.3.3 an hour ago, and haven't heard the fan yet (AI PB 1.25 G - 1G RAM)

Safari snappier, no broken or funny apps for now. Boot time normal. Cool.
  • Reply 90 of 159
    OK, I had some real issues with 10.3.3, but got them worked out. If anyone else runs into these problems, here's what to do.

- Finder completely locks up, spinning beach ball. When I first installed the update, my finder would pop up a connect dialog to my server, then spin the beachball no matter what the response. Solution: Go into terminal, CD to your ~/Library/Preferences then RM your finder and siderbar plists. In my case I had folders in my side bar that were on my shared mounts. I think that this was causing the problem to begin with.

- I store my iTunes library on the server as well, and had some very strange issues with it asking to mount the server for every song, even though the drive had already been mounted. I tossed the iTunes plist preference file, and then reset my iTunes advanced preference of iTunes library back to my server folder. iTunes went through its thing (80gb library), and now all is well.

Obviously these issues won't be had by most users, but if you were trying to utilize networking extensively under 10.3.2, you need to do a little house cleaning for the update. Oh, and everything seems to be running fine now.
  • Reply 91 of 159
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

still broken: stickies. crashes on me several times a day, usually while sitting idly in the background.

has anyone else experienced this?

Did you delete com.apple.Stickies.plist in your preferences folder? It's probably corrupted.
  • Reply 92 of 159
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

The data port on my 1500 also looks like a ethernet port. However the cable I use to plug in into my G5 has a ethernet port on one end and a USB port on the other.

Ah. Did that come with your UPS? I don't recall seeing such a cable in my packaging.

PS Kickaha: don't laugh, the telecom companies and others already have working prototypes for "data transmission over existing power lines". In fact I thought I saw something at CrapUSA last year in the cable section that was related to this technology, something used for home networks. Anyway they probably have to adapt the plugs to get such a technology to work anyway, not that I suspected that was the case here.

• Reply 93 of 159
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Anybody know if 10.3.3 supports the new 8x DVD drives natively?

I'm thinking about buying a Pioneer DVR-107, but I don't really want to have to hack anything?

\
  • Reply 94 of 159
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    All seems okay on the pscates 15" PowerBook (1.25GHz) front. Downloaded and installed last night, did my usual stuff (Safari, iChat, Mail, some Photoshop and Illustrator CS stuff, some .Mac things, Backup, iSync, bought a song, burned a disk, printed a page, connected to an iBook (both via AirPort and Ethernet cable), etc.

Don't notice anything snazzy or different or blatantly "improved", but also don't experience any glitches or goof-ups or stuff acting weird or idiotic, so that's fine with me.

I guess it works.
  • Reply 95 of 159
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Just to clarify what you get with the update...

Apple Computer Inc. has at last released its Mac OS X 10.3.3 update for desktop and server Macs. This significant 58.8MB update has been in development since at least January, when a build circulated to Apple developers was withdrawn. The most recent beta-testing build was distributed late last week.

Mac OS X 10.3.3 offers enhancements for: networking and .Mac; DVD Player; Apple's tranche of OS X applications; Finder enhancements and more. Apple has also added a feature to DVD Player. This now recognizes and plays DVD+R media. An extensive list of some of the improvements in the release is available from Apple. Some selected highlights follow:

Networking, wireless and Finder improvements

An enhancement to Network browsing that means Servers appear both on the desktop and in the Finder window Sidebars. You can also disconnect from a server using the Finder and by dropping the server's icon on the Trash. Finder and applications that allow users to browse the file system will now refresh the contents of a remote network volume's folder or directory when the folder's contents change. Synchronization between .Mac and your Mac has been improved, as has .Mac's treatment of wireless networks. The OS is also now more compatible with third-party wireless networking PC cards.

SITE
  • Reply 96 of 159
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Don't notice anything snazzy or different or blatantly "improved", but also don't experience any glitches or goof-ups or stuff acting weird or idiotic, so that's fine with me.I guess it works.

Ditto the sentiment. Installed yesterday on Dual 800 Quicksilver at work and AlBook 15" at home. Have been internet'ing and using graphics apps on both and seems fine so far.
  • Reply 97 of 159
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Ah. Did that come with your UPS? I don't recall seeing such a cable in my packaging.

PS Kickaha: don't laugh, the telecom companies and others already have working prototypes for "data transmission over existing power lines". In fact I thought I saw something at CrapUSA last year in the cable section that was related to this technology, something used for home networks. Anyway they probably have to adapt the plugs to get such a technology to work anyway, not that I suspected that was the case here.

Heh. Yeah, not the case here. The IP Over Power basically used the electrical wiring as an Ethernet cable, and required an adapter at each end (*not* the power plug! ). Think of a little nubbin you'd plug into the outlet, that simply had an RJ-45 jack for Ethernet, essentially turning that electrical outlet into an Ethernet jack. WiFi kind of kicked that idea in the crotch and ran away laughing.
  • Reply 98 of 159
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I might get a Pioneer DVR-107 now that they're fully supported in 10.3.3. 8x DVD-R/+R, 24x CD-R, and it's now $126 (about $20 cheaper than last time I checked). However, NEC has an 8x available for under $100 and it works if you use Patchburn, so maybe I'll do that...
  • Reply 99 of 159
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    installed and works fine for me (867 PB).
  • Reply 100 of 159
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Well, I dunno about you guys, but my battery capacity actually went up. I had checked it before and got results in the 3600 range. Now, after the update, I get 3935.

Also, under 10.3.2 my fan would come on rather quickly and almost never turn off. It does still come on a bit more than I'd like, but at least it shuts off sooner. I can only assume things are running a little cooler now, or the fan subsystem has been updated to be more accurate.

For the record, this is a first edition 12" PB.

{Edit} The fan has been running for a little while, hovering around 124 degrees F.