the unofficial college football thread

Comments

• Reply 61 of 232
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    running,

Man, Texas just couldn't throw the ball. Young seemed like a running back lined up under center. And how many times did they run that Shotgun handoff/fake handoff QB run? It seemed like half their plays.

That one hop interception call was HORRIBLE. Even real time, first viewing, I thought "What the hell are they talking about?" The hassle of replay would almost be worth it if it eliminates calls like that.

I hope Peterson doesn't develop much more-he's too damn good now!

I've always liked Swanny. He's like a sane OJ.

J
  • Reply 62 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

running,

Man, Texas just couldn't throw the ball. Young seemed like a running back lined up under center. And how many times did they run that Shotgun handoff/fake handoff QB run? It seemed like half their plays.

that's the texas version of the zone read, which is the basis of much of their offense. my understanding is that the qb primarily reads the defensive ends. if they make an angle for the qb then the quarterback hands off to the running back. if they take a line for the running back then qb keeps it and scrambles. normally it's a run, but texas has been known to pass from this to some success. i'm sure there is more to it than that but groover can set me straight or tell us more if he's of the mind to. the problem for texas is that you have to make teams pay if they don't respect the pass. we had eight and some times nine in the box. we were not going to let them beat us with benson, and we were able to limit the kind of damage that young can do with his legs. we dared them to throw on us, and they were not able to get it done.
  • Reply 63 of 232
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    rws got it. It's a zone read and we have not actually had a whole lot of success throwing out of it, it's just that not many teams have had success stopping it. VY puts the ball in Ced's gut, reads the DE and decides whether or not to let Ced keep it or to take it himself. It's kind of like the option but executed immediately after the snap.

VY is a good QB, but not great. Our WR corps is inexperienced and under-talented. We are essentially a one-dimensional team.
  • Reply 64 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by aimakesmeyawn

Nobody's had much to say about ol' LSU in a while... Perhaps it was that well-deserved and well-delivered ass-whoopin' they received, courtesy of the Georgia Bulldogs last week. We're looking forward to hosting you this weekend, Tennessee. Hopefully after your loss to Auburn you should be fired up for a real exciting game of ball tomorrow.

GO DAWGS! SIC EM! WOOF WOOF WOOF

I hope that the win this weekend in Florida still shows people that LSU is never an easy game. Hardly a good follow-up year to a national championship, its painfull to say the least every time the quarterback issue is brought up. Additionally once these talanted freshman realize that its heart that wins football games we might be able to crack the top 10 again...unfortunatly unless things change very soon I don't see that happening by the end of the season. This is definatly not the LSU of last season, but still a dangerous team to play against.
  • Reply 65 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The Cal UCLA game today was a good game. It was nice to see the stadium so full and the fans so excited. I yelled my ass off.

Kinda makes me feel better about last week's SC game.

Good season so far. Roll on you bears!
  • Reply 66 of 232
    Miami vs. Louisville - best game of the year thus far!

Would have liked to see Lou. pull off the upset, though.
  • Reply 67 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

Miami vs. Louisville - best game of the year thus far!

Would have liked to see Lou. pull off the upset, though.

that was a tough game. miami, they're good, but i hate those fvckers more than texas and aggie lite. hope someone knocks them on they're arrogant ass this year.
  • Reply 68 of 232
    Cal shutout Arizona today, 38-0. I expected a victory, but this was unexpected. Geoff McArthur, one of our wide receivers, also broke school records.

Can't wait for next week, so I can actually watch the game. Even though I love Joe Starky, KGO's webcast lacks something.

Anyhow... To the Rose Bowl!
  • Reply 69 of 232
    Later today we're playing ASU. This should be a good game, although I expect to see a Cal victory!

Catch it if you want: TBS (I think) at 7PM PST. Perhaps you'll see me in the crowds!

Go Bears!

• Reply 70 of 232
    Whoa... another shutout. Sorry ASU. And Rodgers, our quarterback, was not having a great day.

I demand daily field goal practice!

I smell BCS!
  • Reply 71 of 232
    Hail to the Victors, bitches.

• Reply 72 of 232
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    SHOWDOWN in Ames!!!!

If Iowa State beats Nebraska next week they'll move into a tie for the lead in the Big XII North (at 3 and 3 in the conference- )

Quake with fear, Sooners, there's storm clouds a-gathering up here!

J
  • Reply 73 of 232
    Holy crap! Cal is ranked #4! I never would have expected anything like this during the Holmoe years. Tedford is the man!

Roll on you Bears!
  • Reply 74 of 232
    Beat the Ducks today, but just barely. Too bad the other top teams held on too. Still, the path to the Rose Bowl lies ahead.

Roll on you Bears!
  • Reply 75 of 232
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    And the Pac-10 still gets no respekt!
  • Reply 76 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Beat the Ducks today, but just barely. Too bad the other top teams held on too. Still, the path to the Rose Bowl lies ahead.

Roll on you Bears!

poor performance will hurt in the polls come Monday. The last two games Cal has been inconsistent and showed some weaknesses. Their special teams is horrendous and has been throughout the season. They got very lucky today on several accounts.

Shouldn't even have been a close game. Rodgers overthrows every pass over 15 yards. The aussie import cant kick field goals to save his life
  • Reply 77 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

poor performance will hurt in the polls come Monday. The last two games Cal has been inconsistent and showed some weaknesses. Their special teams is horrendous and has been throughout the season. They got very lucky today on several accounts.

Shouldn't even have been a close game. Rodgers overthrows every pass over 15 yards. The aussie import cant kick field goals to save his life

usc, OU, cal, and texas (props for finishing strong and smacking around the cow turds), all dodged the proverbial bullet yesterday. although we should have pretty smooth sailing from here on out, if our secondary doesn't start playing smarter, i don't like our chances in the orange bowl if we are able to win out. the bright side is that our offense is looking pretty damn good most of the time. our new found balance is giving teams a pretty tough decision as to what aspect to try and stop. peterson or white, pick your poison.
  • Reply 78 of 232
    Roll on you Bears. Glad things came together in the second half. I expected Washington to put up a fight... why didn't you?

But seriously, this pattern concerns me...

Any rate, Big Game will be a blast. The axe will be ours for another year! Prepare for Big Game though, 'cuz those turkeys will want our throats.

F Stanfurd! Go Bears!
  • Reply 79 of 232
    last year it was usc, this year it will either be us or auburn that will get fucked out of the bcs title game should we both win out. i do wish they would fix this shit.
  • Reply 80 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by running with scissors

last year it was usc, this year it will either be us or auburn that will get fucked out of the bcs title game should we both win out. i do wish they would fix this shit.

This year's BCS rankings are comprised of the two major polls + the various BCS computer rankings. The human-based poll input should prevent weirdness like last year. (I don't remember the other teams records, but being the team that beat SC I'm quite familiar with their record last year. )

That said, someone is always gonna lose out. To them, the old system is preferred since it would rank 'em higher. And since this is changing constantly, nobody will ever be happy.

Overall, I think this years scheme is an improvement.