the unofficial college football thread

Comments

• Reply 121 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Looks like Cal isn't headed to the Rose Bowl. Hasn't been announced on the TV yet, but the BCS and ESPN website have it all covered. Ironically, it looks like Texas isn't headed to the Rose Bowl either.

Looks like its (#13) Michigan versus (#21) Pittsburgh. Weird.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll enjoy the Holiday Bowl, even though it won't be quite as good.

Sorry guys, better beat SC next year.
  • Reply 122 of 232
    Whoa... the TV just announced Pittsburgh for the Tostitos bowl, so perhaps texas is going for Roses afterall. But perhaps Cal? Damn me for trusting the BCS website!
  • Reply 123 of 232
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It is official.

Orange:

OU v. USC

Fiesta:

Pitt v. Utah

Sugar:

Auburn v. VT

Rose:

UT v. Michigan

I am pumped about playing Michigan.
  • Reply 124 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

It is official.

Orange:

OU v. USC

Fiesta:

Pitt v. Utah

Sugar:

Auburn v. VT

Rose:

UT v. Michigan

I don't understand how the sugar and fiesta selections work. Why are much lower ranked teams selected for the big money bowls and cal at #5 is left out?
  • Reply 125 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

I don't understand how the sugar and fiesta selections work. Why are much lower ranked teams selected for the big money bowls and cal at #5 is left out?

If you are from a non-BCS conference (C-USA, MWC, WAC, etc..) you are guaranteed a BCS bid if you are in the top 6 BCS.

If you are from a BCS conference you are guaranteed a BCS bid if you are in the top 4 BCS.

Each of the following conferences has automatic bids for their champions:

Pac 10

Big 10

Big East

ACC

Big XII

SEC

So that's 6 out of 8 taken automatically, and 2 "at-large".

Since Utah was #6 BCS they get an automatic bid. That leaves one "at-large". Since the #4 spot was not occupied by a conference champion, it was also an automatic bid; hence the big battle between Texas and California.

The Fiesta got stuck with both Utah and Pitt because the Big East is one of its "foundation" conferences and they got the last "at-large" pick.

Now, if a conference champ had finished #4 then the Rose would have gotten to choose anyone ranked in the BCS top 12. No doubt they would have taken a lower-ranked Cal to keep the Pac 10 v. Big 10 Rose Bowl tradition. But Texas got #4 and the Rose had no other choice than to choose between Utah and Texas, and from there I think the choice is obvious.

Utah and Pitt is going to be a shit bowl (Utah will wax Pitt)

--

Looks like Cal QB Rodgers needs a ride on the whaaambulance.

I agree that Cal deserved a spot over both Utah and Pitt, but let's not call out UT's coach for no reason. 90% of the people who claim Mack was whining never even saw him on television. They just take what the cry-babies say and run with it.

The BCS is a joke system, the Horns deserved it just as much as the Bears and there's not a damned thing wrong with Mack saying so.
  • Reply 126 of 232
    Quote:

Looks like Cal QB Rodgers needs a ride on the whaaambulance.

I agree that Cal deserved a spot over both Utah and Pitt, but let's not call out UT's coach for no reason. 90% of the people who claim Mack was whining never even saw him on television. They just take what the cry-babies say and run with it.

The BCS is a joke system, the Horns deserved it just as much as the Bears and there's not a damned thing wrong with Mack saying so.

There's not a damned thing wrong with Rodgers saying he was classless for doing so.

Thanks for the clarification as well. Helps. I think it's ridiculous though that so much money rides on those 4 games and such worse teams can get chosen over clearly strong/more deserving teams
  • Reply 127 of 232
    Except for that there's nothing "classless" about anything Mack said. Every damned coach in the country has criticized the BCS. Mack said the voters should evaluate UT fairly. He cares about his players and just asked that they be given a fair shake.

I'd be pissed if I was in Cal's position, but I'd also not like Vince Young calling out Tedford if the roles were reversed.
  • Reply 128 of 232
    Cal lost out, but we retain our dignity. We did not resort to groveling for votes or playing against the spirit of the game.

Congratulations to Texas. Although I may root for Michigan, they are blue and gold afterall.

I'll, of course, excitedly watch our bowl game. Last year I never would have thought an SC-like situation like this would occur to us, but sometimes you can still get screwed on top. Hopefully this will help drive the team for greater success next year. If Rodgers leaves he will lose respect in many peoples eyes. I doubt he or Tedford will leave, but you never know.

Still feel sad for Geoff McArthur. No one is more deserving of a bowl game than him.

The coaches and the press believed we should be in the Rose Bowl, that'll have to be enough to me. We didn't make it this time, but we deserved it, and that's better than nothing!

Go Bears!
  • Reply 129 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Cal lost out, but we retain our dignity. We did not resort to groveling for votes or playing against the spirit of the game.

Grovel? Did you watch the end of the A&M game? Did you watch Mack when he asked the voters to give his team a fair shot? Have you even seen a transcript of what he said? I'd bet "no".

Dignity would preclude taking unwarranted swipes at Texas. So, no, you don't have your dignity and you're going to the Holiday Bowl.

Apparently Cal fans and players can't follow the example of their coach and just move on, they just have to smash those sour grapes all over Mack's head.

West coasters need to get over their provincial superiority complex and realize that are, as a group, pretty far behind the South and East with regard to football dominance.

I have a hard time rooting for OU, but West coast arrogance makes it a lot easier.
  • Reply 130 of 232
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

It is official.

Rose:

UT v. Michigan

I am pumped about playing UT.
  • Reply 131 of 232
    Quote:

Grovel? Did you watch the end of the A&M game? Did you watch Mack when he asked the voters to give his team a fair shot? Have you even seen a transcript of what he said? I'd bet "no".

While I haven't read the full transcript, I did watch as much of the post game interview that's been available on TV. Asking voters to vote for you for the right reason can be done tastefully, but this was not done and, in general, I'd say its not the right thing to do overall.

I'm moving on, but its easier knowing we took the high road. I'd ask that we do it again and I'd think Tedford would too. But yes, I am disappointed not going to the Rose Bowl. And its sad knowing that the coaches and the press think we deserve it too.

Sometimes things happen. The Holiday Bowl will be great.
  • Reply 132 of 232
    Quote:

While I haven't read the full transcript, I did watch as much of the post game interview that's been available on TV. Asking voters to vote for you for the right reason can be done tastefully, but this was not done and, in general, I'd say its not the right thing to do overall.

I'm moving on, but its easier knowing we took the high road. I'd ask that we do it again and I'd think Tedford would too. But yes, I am disappointed not going to the Rose Bowl. And its sad knowing that the coaches and the press think we deserve it too.

Sometimes things happen. The Holiday Bowl will be great.

How can you say you took the "high road" when Cal fans are whining about a Mack Brown speech they haven't even seen and the starting QB is calling out coaches as "classless"?

Brown was right, the system needs to be changed and Texas is a deserving team. He was right. Cal was also a deserving team, both UT and Cal were more deserving than Utah and Pitt.

Also, Ivan Maisel is on ESPN talking about some Cal players who are threatening to boycott the Holiday Bowl.

Oh yeah, the epitome of "high road" class!

You are making me dislike Cal, you should be a better ambassador for your program. (Same goes for the team.)

What an irritating sense of entitlement you guys have.
  • Reply 133 of 232
    Groverat, I and the players did see the clips of the coach asking for votes. And we know our coach did the classy thing. I never specifically said that asking for votes was classless and I don't think anyone on the team said it either, although I'm sure it was implied.

Meanwhile, I doubt anyone is going to boycott the Holiday bowl. Who knows what they're saying on ESPN. I'm glad we're going to the Holiday bowl and it will be a great game. The surrounding situation sucks, but I'd rather be in this predicament than not.

Yes we're disappointed. Of course we are, but we'll get through it. Texas was in this position last year, and now its our turn. I'm glad you guys don't have to go through it again this year! Hopefully next year our program will be strong and we'll again earn a BCS bowl berth.

Meanwhile, groverat, I'm marginally offended. I've always thought of you as more level headed and one not to read in too much as to what's heard on TV. Your team made it and you shouldn't need to make snarky remarks at us. And on top of it, you've been suspiciously silent regarding the behaviors of both coaches. You've seen both coaches' interviews. What's your take?
  • Reply 134 of 232
    Quote:

Groverat, I and the players did see the clips of the coach asking for votes. And we know our coach did the classy thing. I never specifically said that asking for votes was classless and I don't think anyone on the team said it either, although I'm sure it was implied.

You don't think so?

"I thought it was a little classless how Coach Brown was begging for votes," Rodgers said. "I think a team's record and the way you play should speak for itself, and you shouldn't have to complain about the BCS system."

Of course right before saying that Rodgers was complaining about the BCS system.

The only reason Cal fans and players are dogging what he said now is because they want to cling to the silly belief that it was Mack's comments that put UT over Cal. It is childish.

He said, "If you've got a vote, I'm asking you to vote for us."

What a WHINER!

"They deserve to go more than some teams that are being talked about."

Oh no! He's completely and totally right! How dare he say things that are true!?

And the next poll after that... UT dropped.

Brown is the only coach ever to publicly state a negative view of the BCS.

Brown is the only coach ever to publicly state support of his team and say they deserved a shot.

First ever. He's the only one. The only one ever.

Quote:

Meanwhile, groverat, I'm marginally offended. I've always thought of you as more level headed and one not to read in too much as to what's heard on TV. Your team made it and you shouldn't need to make snarky remarks at us. And on top of it, you've been suspiciously silent regarding the behaviors of both coaches. You've seen both coaches' interviews. What's your take?

I don't think either coach was out of line in any way. I think Rodgers is a whining douchebag who should keep his mouth shut about opposing coaches. I'd say the same thing about Vince Young if he had been crying about Bill Snyder last year.
  • Reply 135 of 232
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Coach Tedford is ours ...beyotch.

Go UW Huskies.
  • Reply 136 of 232
    Groverat, you have a point there about Rodgers. He says one thing but at the same time is doing the opposite. Tedford has carried himself better and it is unfortunate that Rodgers is making accusations like this that reflect upon the team and the school.

While I can't blame him too much (he is a kid after all), he should have kept his mouth shut and supported Tedford and the team. In general this is nasty situation, and everyone should be above this petty bitching.

If the Cal team blew out USM and the vote still turned out the way it did, he may get to bitch (keyword: may), but since the game didn't turn out the way they planned and the vote happened as predicted, he doesn't get the right. The only thing that's wrong is the BCS, but is that new? He shouldn't be saying anything about coach Mack. Rodgers needs to stop whining and step up.

The sad thing is this is not what Tedford has taught him and it is disheartening to see Rodgers succumb to this and act this way.

And sorry hmurchison, I don't think Tedford is going anywhere. But who knows, I've been wrong before.
  • Reply 137 of 232
    If I were Tedford, and the money situation were equal, I don't know why you leave Berkeley for UW.

A better football tradition, sure, but come on, it's southern California!
  • Reply 138 of 232
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

A better football tradition, sure, but come on, it's southern California

exactly. Other than a little extra sun there's not much. Seattle is much better for the family overall. Tedford is likely to stay and if he does I wish him well. He's a class act. If he does come I hope Cal fans don't hate the UW more than they may already. The UW has to get booster support for stadium improvements and we can't do that unless we have excitement about the future of the program. It's the way things are.

I'm also worried about USC versus Okie. USC is a good team but I actually think they were better last year. I look for a tough game with Okie leading at half and a charge in the second half by USC.
  • Reply 139 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Coach Tedford is ours ...beyotch.

Go UW Huskies.

You're the bitch. I tore you a new asshole and you only come back 3 days later with a little quip like that.

Quote:

A better football tradition, sure, but come on, it's southern California!

this makes all your previous arguments negated since you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about

Berkeley is quite far from Southern California
  • Reply 140 of 232
    I guess I don't know anything about football now that I don't know where cities in California are. That makes perfect sense, King Geography Smack.

I need to row row row my boat all the way to a map next time.