the unofficial college football thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 232
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Oh, and I almost forgot...

Bye bye, Buddy Teevans. I wish you were there for another year.

Xool...we're coming for your coach. Think Tedford would turn down $2 million a year to coach at the UW?

Tyrone Willingham just resigned at ND that means ND is going to get Urban Meyer.

Dan Hawkins from Boise looks like the favorite at Stanford.

Butch Davis should go to Florida.

Should be an interesting turn of events to see where these coaches end up.
  • Reply 102 of 232
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

the rat returns. where the hell have you been? besides, i was being nice. perhaps you should try it sometime.

Screw being nice. We're 10-1, our only loss by 12 to the #2 team in the nation and victories over multiple Top 25 squads, yet we're on the outside looking in because of some idiotic system that values soothing provincial egos more than putting the best 8 teams against each other in bowl games.

- The Big East champ does not deserve a BCS bid.

- Utah's schedule is a big, fat pathetic joke and they don't deserve a bid to play with the big dogs until they can handle a real schedule like the big dogs; pay your dues bitches by playing OU every goddam year on national television. I don't care if they beat all their opponents by 90000. Their toughest game was Texas A&M at home; what a joke. I realize that is an unpopular view, but whatever. Screw Utah.

Here's an idea to further "fix" the BCS:

- If you aren't ranked Top 10 BCS you aren't guaranteed anything.

- Top 4 auto-bid only, no exceptions for shit conferences or the godforsaken Domers.

- If a bowl chooses a provincial favorite over a higher ranked team, they have to split the money with the bypassed team. Yeah, you can have your Pac 10/Big Televen Rose Bowl, but you're going to pay for it.

Even if we somehow jump Cal it is still bullshit because Cal deserves it more than Pitt and Utah. The Pac-10 is overrated and their schedule is weaker than UT's, but it is better than the Mountain America Sun conference or whatever-the-hell Utah comes from.

Utah is going to kill Pitt (who sucks more than any other BCS bowl team in history probably) in the Fiesta and we'll have to deal with this shit forever.

• Reply 103 of 232
    wow, i totally agree. unfortunately there is too much money involved for the conferences that control the bcs to ever agree to make the kind of changes that would make the system work.
  • Reply 104 of 232
    Another problem is the AP voters, you've got California homers versus Texas journalists trying to appear objective by fucking UT in the ass. click

Quote:

TEXAS-BASED VOTERS

Keith Whitmire, Dallas Morning News

1. Oklahoma, 2. Southern Cal, 3. Auburn, 4. Utah, 5. California, 6. Texas

Tim Griffin, San Antonio Express-News

1. Southern Cal, 2. Auburn, 3. Oklahoma, 4. California, 5. Utah, 6. Texas

Kirk Bohls, Austin American-Statesman

1. Southern Cal, 2. Auburn, 3. Oklahoma, 4. California, 5. Texas, 6. Utah

Jimmy Burch, Fort Worth Star-Telegram

1. Southern Cal, 2. Oklahoma, 3. Auburn, 4. Utah, 5. California, 6. Texas

Chuck Cooperstein, KESN-FM, Arlington

1. Southern Cal, 2. Auburn, 3. Oklahoma, 4. California, 5. Utah, 6. Texas

CALIFORNIA-BASED VOTERS

Todd Harmonson, Orange County Register

1. Southern Cal, 2. Oklahoma, 3. Auburn, 4. California, 5. Utah, 6. Texas

Scott Wolf, Los Angeles Daily News

1. Southern Cal, 2. Auburn, 3. Oklahoma, 4. California, 5. Texas, 6. Utah

Ray Ratto, San Francisco Chronicle

Jon Wilner, San Jose Mercury News

If Deloss Dodds (UT's AD) is not bringing hell to the NCAA every day about this system he should be replaced with someone who has balls.

This is just not right. Even if we jump Cal and they get screwed it is just not right. If there are legal routes I hope both UT's and Cal's ADs are exploring them. This is insane.

We could have 3 undefeated teams coming out of BCS bowls. Anyone who thinks this system is worthwhile is a moron.
  • Reply 105 of 232
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Xool...we're coming for your coach. Think Tedford would turn down $2 million a year to coach at the UW?

Yes. I believe Tedford is a smart guy and is driven by far more than money. Progress is being made regarding our facilities improvements and I think he recognizes that he has the opportunity to build a top tier program and start a legacy here at Cal.

Pair this with his own comments and those from the team and staff. Then add in his wife and family, who don't want to move until after his kids are out of high school.

He may not be here for ten years, but I'm confident he'll stick around for at least two.

BTW, after playing UW, Tedford apologized for all the UW fans taunting our team. All the "we're gonna steal your coach" trash talk was way out of line, and I doubt is sat to well for a classy guy like Tedford. He reassured the team about his priorities and even talked about his private life, a rarity for him.

Personally, I think he was saddened and disgusted by UW's behavior.

Sorta like Stanfurd's disgraceful, dirty showing at Big Game resulting in a Stanfurd player getting ejected from the game. I expect this behavior of USC, but never Stanfurd. But I digress.

In summary, no, I don't think Tedford will leave simply for $, especially to go to UW.
  • Reply 106 of 232
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Tyrone Willingham just resigned at ND that means ND is going to get Urban Meyer.

Dan Hawkins from Boise looks like the favorite at Stanford.

Butch Davis should go to Florida.

Should be an interesting turn of events to see where these coaches end up.

As of last Friday Cal is offering Tedford 1.5 million a year with performance incentives that would boost it to 2 million a year. They are also preparing to make an announcement about the renovation of Memorial Stadium within the next 3 weeks.

So, have fun sucking for the next many years.
  • Reply 107 of 232
    Quote:

Yes. I believe Tedford is a smart guy and is driven by far more than money. Progress is being made regarding our facilities improvements and I think he recognizes that he has the opportunity to build a top tier program and start a legacy here at Cal.

Smart= knowing that 2.5 Million(rumored max the UW is willing to pay) is a lot more than 1.5. Sorry for our behavior it sucks to be 1-9. We need Tedford to ensure that our "Daddy Warbucks" pony up for stadium improvements as well. If this costs us 2.5 million per year for 3 years then it's fine. The UW lost 2 million in ticket sales this year. Getting Tedford means we probably break even at the most.

He's a class guy but money is money. If he stays at Cal I wish him the best.

Quote:

So, have fun sucking for the next many years

Ummm remind me how many Rose Bowls has Cal been in? Here's a clue for the Bezerkely's here. Tedfords agent contacted the UW. Our AD won't make contact until after the season is done. This means that Tedford is open to other offers and I know the UW's package will be fatter than anything Cal comes up with. Cal is NOT a football school. Once the 10-1 seasons are gone the school will go back to hating athletics like it always has.

Go Cal!!!!
  • Reply 108 of 232
    Quote:

Ummm remind me how many Rose Bowls has Cal been in? Here's a clue for the Bezerkely's here. Tedfords agent contacted the UW. Our AD won't make contact until after the season is done. This means that Tedford is open to other offers and I know the UW's package will be fatter than anything Cal comes up with. Cal is NOT a football school. Once the 10-1 seasons are gone the school will go back to hating athletics like it always has.

Ummm remind me who's 4th in the nation and who's not ranked?

Here's a clue for you. Your school has not made any bid yet. You're number(s) means nothing and is baseless speculation. The Cal deal is by all means a 2 million a year deal. 2 million to live in a better area, at a better school, where you already live and your family is already settled in, where your team is on the rise and rising quick and where you have been recruiting talent for the last 3 years. Why would he want to go to the hell hole that is Seattle and start from scratch again?

Cal is a football school now. You're school is struggling in every sport they have. your successful seasons are gone. Berkeley does not hate athletics. We have one of the biggest student-athlete populations in the country and one of the most successful programs all around. Far more successful than your has-been sports program. Oh, and your crew team sucks big time.
  • Reply 109 of 232
    Quote:

Ummm remind me who's 4th in the nation and who's not ranked?

Cal is 4th and the UW is unranked. But that doesn't matter though. The $$$$ matter and we're going to outprice you for Tedford.

Quote:

Why would he want to go to the hell hole that is Seattle and start from scratch again?

Because Cal always gets excited about good seasons but the fact is because of your high entrance requirements you and Stanfurd both have problems getting a lot of athletes in. You'll be good for a breakout season every now and then but the options are far more limited versus UW. Besides California is 10x the hell hole that Seattle is. Hell your Governor barely speaks English.

Quote:

Cal is a football school now. You're school is struggling in every sport they have. your successful seasons are gone. Berkeley does not hate athletics

Our Softball team was recently number #1 in the nation and our basketball team is #13. The UW is far more athletic than Cal. Your school's claim to fame is William Hung.

Tedford is ours to lose. We have the money and fan support. Doesn't really matter that much once we get a half way decent coach we'll go back to waxing your teddybear pop warner squads on an annual basis.
  • Reply 110 of 232
    Quote:

Cal is 4th and the UW is unranked. But that doesn't matter though. The $$$$ matter and we're going to outprice you for Tedford.

keep dreaming

Quote:

Because Cal always gets excited about good seasons but the fact is because of your high entrance requirements you and Stanfurd both have problems getting a lot of athletes in. You'll be good for a breakout season every now and then but the options are far more limited versus UW. Besides California is 10x the hell hole that Seattle is. Hell your Governor barely speaks English.

you're right. UW is full of a bunch of idiots, especially their athletes. It's something to be proud of when they not only fail in the classroom but on the playing field as well.

Quote:

Our Softball team was recently number #1 in the nation and our basketball team is #13. The UW is far more athletic than Cal. Your school's claim to fame is William Hung.

First of all, softball.....lame....but, if you really want to talk about it, you should first learn about it. Cal's softball team is always in the top 10 in the nation. Last year they were the runners up in the national championship. UW has a long ways to go before being comparable to Cal in athletics.

Men's Rugby #1

Track and Field Freshman Men #1

Men's Crew #2

Football #4

Men's Swimming #4

Men's Water Polo #4

Men's Soccer #4

Men's Gymnastics #6

Track and Field Freshman Women#6

Women's Crew #6

Women's Swimming #7

Women's Water Polo #8

Women's Volleyball #14

Field Hockey #17

Women's Soccer #18

Women's Gymnastics #25

Last year Men's Golf won the national championship. Men's Rugby won the national championship. Men's Freshman crew won the national championship

those are national rankings by the way. so, can't say I'm impressed by your basketball team being 13.
  • Reply 111 of 232
    The Weasel screwed UW over. Poor guys.

No one from a "football school" ends a line of smack with "Oh, and your men's crew team sucks."

I'm assuming that means rowing. I don't know. You know why I don't know? Because I'm from a football school.
  • Reply 112 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The Weasel screwed UW over. Poor guys.

No one from a "football school" ends a line of smack with "Oh, and your men's crew team sucks."

I'm assuming that means rowing. I don't know. You know why I don't know? Because I'm from a football school.

Not neccessarily. Someone who is on the men's crew team would say that. Especially when their biggest and longest rival is UW. I'll be at UW for the duel in April.
  • Reply 113 of 232
    Think Tyrone wants the job?

No? Me neither.
  • Reply 114 of 232
    Halftime at the Cal-USM game. Score: Cal 14, USM 7, and still anyone's game. However, things look promising, and after Tedford's halftime tweeks, I think we'll play a great second half.

Go Bears!

For the Rose Bowl, however, we need some more points for sure.
  • Reply 115 of 232
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Halftime at the Cal-USM game. Score: Cal 14, USM 7, and still anyone's game. However, things look promising, and after Tedford's halftime tweeks, I think we'll play a great second half.

Go Bears!

For the Rose Bowl, however, we need some more points for sure.

actually, I don't think it's looking good at all. They are not playing like a #4 team in the nation or anywhere close. This game is being watched by voters because there aren't many other games going on of importance right now. And they likely saw the first half and may switch to a later game.

This first half crap is getting ridiculous.
  • Reply 116 of 232
    Tonight's game was hardly our best showing, but considering how hard USM played I'll accept the outcome. I hope we go the Rose Bowl, but if we don't make it its because we don't deserve to go.

That said, we saved the game there at the end. I think that, combined with other notables, we still have a good chance for the Rose Bowl. Doesn't mean I'll be sleeping easy though.
  • Reply 117 of 232
    The spread was 24. You won by 10.

The AP voters want you in, though, so the Rose Bowl is yours. All they needed was the flimsiest excuse to vote 4.Cal, 5.Utah, 6.Texas and by not even getting halfway to covering but winning they were given that excuse. There is an AP voter out there with Texas at #9!

USC sneaks by UCLA (6-4) - 29-25

Oklahoma beats the unholy shit out of Colorado (7-4) - 42-3

Texas to the Bullshit.com Bowl!
  • Reply 118 of 232
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The spread was 24. You won by 10.

The AP voters want you in, though, so the Rose Bowl is yours. All they needed was the flimsiest excuse to vote 4.Cal, 5.Utah, 6.Texas and by not even getting halfway to covering but winning they were given that excuse. There is an AP voter out there with Texas at #9!

Any sane AP voter is going to see a W. Only gamblers should care about spreads. The BCS is freakin' retarded; that should be the excuse. Thanks for reminding me how blah college football is.

I like how Auburn fans threw oranges onto the field as if they were going to the Orange Bowl or something.
  • Reply 119 of 232
    I hope Auburn destroys VaTech and USC and OU have an ugly game. I also hope Utah wins. 3 undefeated teams, 2 with perfectly valid claims to the NC.

The guy who had UT at #9 moved us to #5. What the hell? I mean, I'll take it but what the hell is that?

It's looking like UT gets a BCS slot and leaves Cal out in the cold (if San Diego is cold this time of year). This whole system is a joke. We need a playoff now. Cal should be in instead of Utah and Pitt.
  • Reply 120 of 232
    The waiting game is still on. It looks like Cal lost a few points in the AP and ESPN polls, while retaining our current #4 ranking. Will that be enough to push us down in the overall BCS rankings?

ESPN now projects Texas as the Rose Bowl team, although Cal was projected the winner as of 1 AM last night.

Sounds like its gonna come down to the wire. I can't wait another 20 minutes. AGGG!