What could this be?

Comments

• Reply 241 of 525
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

It sure would be a real pleasure standing up and reaching all the way to the wall to slide a cd in to the slot loading driv on the side

My thoughts exactly, this would not be a 20" LCD, it wold be a computer that needs clear airflow/fanflow under and around the back, and what about inserting CD's/USB/firewire/speakers/keyboard/etc.?? That cool looking LCD/CPU would look the sexah hanging on the wall with all those cables hanging out! And why take a giant step backward in ergonomics, from the iMac with the 'one touch' to adjust arm, to a LCD/CPU combo that would have to be slid around on your desk like any old Wintel Boxen??

And no Tofu, I can't afford a G5 tower with a 20" cinema, hence the wonderful AIO 17" iMac sitting on my desk....
  • Reply 242 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

kscherer,

Second as far as "He (Steve) would never have allowed Apple to design that thing, and then sell it for 10 grand!" - Ummm , should I bring up the Lisa? The NeXT Cube? Naahhh I guess not. \

Finally the styrofoam does fit... I too though it didn't but someone corrected me,.. That ridge isn't styrofoam it's just the bunched up white 'fabric like stuff' that Apple uses to protect computers, laptops and displays.

Dave

As for the Lisa, it actually cost that much to build. The TAM was just a grab for money by Emilio and his gang of Corporate Destroyers.

Secondly, please go back to the first page of this thread and look at the second picture that has been posted. Note the big chunk of Styrofoam jutting out from the upper piece in the pic on the right. That is there to keep a very thin Power Book from flopping around. The hardware in the pic is way too thick to fit in there.

Third, put all your peripherals back into their original spot and then angle the styrophoam just like the picture. If all your keyboard and cables and books stay put, then you used glue.
  • Reply 243 of 525
    johnjohn Posts: 99member
    Hey, how'd my dog get here? (Er..."there"...previous page) He's wily!
  • Reply 244 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by kscherer

As for the Lisa, it actually cost that much to build. The TAM was just a grab for money by Emilio and his gang of Corporate Destroyers.

Secondly, please go back to the first page of this thread and look at the second picture that has been posted. Note the big chunk of Styrofoam jutting out from the upper piece in the pic on the right. That is there to keep a very thin Power Book from flopping around. The hardware in the pic is way too thick to fit in there.

Third, put all your peripherals back into their original spot and then angle the styrophoam just like the picture. If all your keyboard and cables and books stay put, then you used glue.

By the way, Dave, If I didn't want people to disagree with my opinion, I'd buy a PC and hang out at Fred's Komputr Sentr. Your input is respected, so long as you compute with fruit.
  • Reply 245 of 525
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

No comment from me on point #1

Point 2 - YOU ARE LOOKING AS THE 2nd PHOTO INCORRECTLY - Change where your focusing your eye and you should see that what you THOUGHT was a big block of foam is in fact just the white cover.

Point 3 - The stuff is held in place with a cardboard cover that does stay in place pretty well. I've unpacked HUNDREDS of Macs of all types this year alone - trust me on this.

Dave
  • Reply 246 of 525
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Point 3 - The stuff is held in place with a cardboard cover that does stay in place pretty well. I've unpacked HUNDREDS of Macs of all types this year alone - trust me on this.

Dave

Not to start a holy war, but when opening my PowerBook box for my external video cable, I did lift off the "top" piece of styrofoam that holds the manuals, disks, etc and everything did fall out. And I haven't had a lot of beer tonight, so that is one for kscherer. And no glue was involved.

Seriously, this is just a load of crap. There are no ports, slots, anything in those pics.
  • Reply 247 of 525
    Quote:

No comment from me on point #1

Point 2 - YOU ARE LOOKING AS THE 2nd PHOTO INCORRECTLY - Change where your focusing your eye and you should see that what you THOUGHT was a big block of foam is in fact just the white cover.

Dave

OK, I trust you.

However, I disagree entirely with the "white cover" theory. The protrusion is square, blocky and meets the package at a perfect right angle. The soft cover material would fold over with softer angles.
  • Reply 248 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Not to start a holy war, but when opening my PowerBook box for my external video cable, I did lift off the "top" piece of styrofoam that holds the manuals, disks, etc and everything did fall out. And I haven't had a lot of beer tonight, so that is one for kscherer. And no glue was involved.

Seriously, this is just a load of crap. There are no ports, slots, anything in those pics.

Are you sure there was no beer involved? If I know one thing, its that Mac users crave their beer and cannot open a new Mac box without the trusted 6-pack next to their knees. Maybe that's just me, though. :-)
  • Reply 249 of 525
    Quote:

However, I disagree entirely with the "white cover" theory. The protrusion is square, blocky and meets the package at a perfect right angle. The soft cover material would fold over with softer angles.

Keep looking at it ... it's definitely a 'white cover'.
  • Reply 250 of 525
    Quote:

Are you sure there was no beer involved? If I know one thing, its that Mac users crave their beer and cannot open a new Mac box without the trusted 6-pack next to their knees. Maybe that's just me, though. :-)

Seriously, look at the previous page and my insider pics on the 65" Apple Tablet. And I said "not a lot" because let's face it, there is always "some" beer involved.
  • Reply 251 of 525
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by John

Hey, how'd my dog get here? (Er..."there"...previous page) He's wily!

Like this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=power...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Cute dog.
  • Reply 252 of 525
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Keep looking at it ... it's definitely a 'white cover'.

From... a... POWERBOOK. Jeebus, people. I'll keep my chocolate hat handy, but I don't plan on having to eat it. This... thing... is not the new iMac.
  • Reply 253 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

This... thing... is not the new iMac.

Amen. That looks like a Sanyo LCD TV or something. Sure has been fun though. That's why I love these forums. I wish my photo skills were better.
  • Reply 254 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

From... a... POWERBOOK. Jeebus, people. I'll keep my chocolate hat handy, but I don't plan on having to eat it. This... thing... is not the new iMac.

I don't recall saying where it was from, only what it is.

I will eat my chocolate hat, a bag of Doritos, and drink a large bottle of Dr. Pepper if it is the new iMac. Hell, I'll do that regardless.

Fake photo threads rock.
  • Reply 255 of 525

this looks nice and a nice convergence between computer and display.
  • Reply 256 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

I don't recall saying where it was from, only what it is.

I will eat my chocolate hat, a bag of Doritos, and drink a large bottle of Dr. Pepper if it is the new iMac. Hell, I'll do that regardless.

Fake photo threads rock.

Hmmm, remind me not to be in the same room after that culinary delight.

Ok, so since this is really the first iMac G5 "sighting" I've seen, any clue why no one else has come forward, or if this is a planted pic? Apple sure has been on the ball with regards to leaks, since the iMac G4/Time snafu and the PowerMac G5 spec/website FU. If only the CIA were this tight. Oh wait, the government is buying a LOT of Apple gear of late aren't they.
  • Reply 257 of 525
    Everyone needs to ask these questions?

Why hide it?

Why not photograph the unopened box (Apple puts a picture of the hardware on the outside of the box)?

Why not take a frontal picture that shows more detail?

No, folks. Someone went to a lot of trouble to disguise the box and the hardware in it. They would only do that if they were trying to DECEIVE you.

Think about it!
  • Reply 258 of 525
    Quote:

Everyone needs to ask these questions?

Why hide it?

Why not photograph the unopened box (Apple puts a picture of the hardware on the outside of the box)?

Why not take a frontal picture that shows more detail?

No, folks. Someone went to a lot of trouble to disguise the box and the hardware in it. They would only do that if they were trying to DECEIVE you.

Think about it!

Good points. A box that says "iMac G5" would certainly help. Hell, I'd rather see a pic of that than the "anonymous" pics we saw earlier.
  • Reply 259 of 525
    Quote:

Originally posted by DavidM

Just a thought. Didn't want monkeyastronaut thinking nobody was reading his posts.

Thanks.

As kscherer said, this looks way too average to be an iMac. It's not an AIO.
  • Reply 260 of 525
    i'm voting for a fake, for one simple reason...if it were the real iMac, no one would be able to see it by now. apple legal would've had it taken down. think about it, apple is not about to let another new iMac design leak before they can officially release it...not after what happened with the LCD iMac and Time...