Last Minute Predictions

Comments

• Reply 21 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

So, what time eastern does the philnote start?

From the Apple Expo site: "The Apple Expo 2004 Keynote presentation will be held at the Palais des Congrès in Paris, on Tuesday, August 31 at 10:00 a.m."

Eastern time, that's 4:00 AM.

Everybody else can do their own damn time conversions here: All your time zones are belong to us.
  • Reply 22 of 131
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

He he, you have no idea what people from Belgium and especially the Netherlands are capable for, when they ride a bike . I remember, more than a decade ago, when I attended some doctoral spring school in the Limburgs Universitair Centrum, one of the Mathematics Professors (from the Netherlands), made too some hundreds of kilometers with his bike. And then it was yet winter, and frozen!
  • Reply 23 of 131
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

I have that gut feeling as well, but at the same time, what is the black banner covering up? And that teaser poster? Unless Apple releases a PowerBook G5 and not the iMac G5 at Paris...

hmm,

Maybe that's the reason of the hassle with the 17"powerbook.

Because of heat issues the 17" is the only powerbook that can sport a G5 on this moment.

So they introduce it now followed by the rest of the powerbook range in 2005...

right?
  • Reply 24 of 131
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

hmm,

Maybe that's the reason of the hassle with the 17"powerbook.

Because of heat issues the 17" is the only powerbook that can sport a G5 on this moment.

So they introduce it now followed by the rest of the powerbook range in 2005...

right?

I think that Apple could squeeze a G5 into a 15'' PowerBook design, if it could manage to get it into a 17''. The 12'' may not get it for a long, long time.
  • Reply 25 of 131
    I have a little conspiracy theory for you guys...

Steve never had pancreatic cancer. It was all a setup to allow Phil a chance to deliver a big keynote. Sort of a warm-up, or tryout. Phil is being groomed for CEO after Steve announces his 'retirement'. Why is Steve retiring? He's going to start a new company named "Trinity Life Systems" that will pioneer the next wave of organic food production, integrating technology into the micro-level of certified organic farming. Trinity will also provide vast levels of service to consumers for managing special dietary needs, and ultimately striving for a super-human race of permenantly wirelessly wired "netizens".

"The Matrix is here, and it's vegan-friendly." (TM)
  • Reply 26 of 131
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    [more or less off topic]

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

He he, you have no idea what people from Belgium and especially the Netherlands are capable for, when they ride a bike . I remember, more than a decade ago, when I attended some doctoral spring school in the Limburgs Universitair Centrum, one of the Mathematics Professors (from the Netherlands), made too some hundreds of kilometers with his bike. And then it was yet winter, and frozen!

Indeed.

Everyday, on my bike to my work and back with my powerbook in my backpack.

Meanwhile my car collects bird droppings at the parking in front of my house.

But i don't see myself cycling to Paris and back.

BTW: Freezing is not a problem when you're cycling, rain is.
  • Reply 27 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

Steve never had pancreatic cancer. It was all a setup to allow Phil a chance to deliver a big keynote. Sort of a warm-up, or tryout. Phil is being groomed for CEO after Steve announces his 'retirement'. Why is Steve retiring? He's going to start a new company named "Trinity Life Systems" that will pioneer the next wave of organic food production, integrating technology into the micro-level of certified organic farming. Trinity will also provide vast levels of service to consumers for managing special dietary needs, and ultimately striving for a super-human race of permenantly wirelessly wired "netizens".

Most disgusting post ever.
  • Reply 28 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by gar

[more or less off topic]

Indeed.

Everyday, on my bike to my work and back with my powerbook in my backpack.

Meanwhile my car collects bird droppings at the parking in front of my house.

But i don't see myself cycling to Paris and back.

BTW: Freezing is not a problem when you're cycling, rain is.

Errr guys, maybe I should have written by MOTORbike.

I may be (temporarily) insane but I'm not THAT crazy.

• Reply 29 of 131
    Completely ignoring the post about the fake cancer.... I have a hunch that Steve might be there tomorrow.... he's a show man, and if there's any way he can be there, I bet he's there. The month is almost over... health permitting, he'd be one hell of a "one more thing".
  • Reply 30 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

Completely ignoring the post about the fake cancer.... I have a hunch that Steve might be there tomorrow.... he's a show man, and if there's any way he can be there, I bet he's there. The month is almost over... health permitting, he'd be one hell of a "one more thing".

It would be the most dramatic moment in Steve's public life.
  • Reply 31 of 131
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

That is just sick, and stupid, I notice that you are from "The Smartest City in Massachusetts (tm)" If that is so, you must be the village idiot, who sees UFOs by night...by the way that black chopper above your house isnt the local trafic reporter if you know what I mean.

What a kook
  • Reply 32 of 131
    Announced hardware...

-95% chance for the iMac G5

-70% chance for the iSight 2

-40% chance for a the 6GB iPod mini

-30% chance for a new DLD

I think Steve Jobs will hookup via iChat at some point.
  • Reply 33 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

That is just sick, and stupid, I notice that you are from "The Smartest City in Massachusetts (tm)" If that is so, you must be the village idiot, who sees UFOs by night...by the way that black chopper above your house isnt the local trafic reporter if you know what I mean.

What a kook

Wow, was it not completely obvious that A) it was not meant seriously, and B) the 'point', if you will, wasn't about cancer, it was about what would happen if steve left?

seriously guys, relax. I'm terribly sorry if any of you have had a loved one fake cancer and run away to start an evil vegan corporation.
  • Reply 34 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dylsexic Manupilator

That's one of the possibilities why I intend to drive over there by bike on tuesday. I live 300 km away from Paris and I need to be back for work at 1600 hrs in the afternoon, but hey, you're a zealot or you aren't

Have a good time there on TUESDAY. The keynote is MONDAY
  • Reply 35 of 131
    Arrggh. TUESDAY is right. I'm so sorry. Wishful thinking.

Oh, and hey, concentricity?? Your village called. They miss their idiot.
  • Reply 36 of 131
    Quote:

Wow, was it not completely obvious that A) it was not meant seriously, and B) the 'point', if you will, wasn't about cancer, it was about what would happen if steve left?

seriously guys, relax. I'm terribly sorry if any of you have had a loved one fake cancer and run away to start an evil vegan corporation.

Now I know you did not mean to offend, and when people get mad at you on a message board, a lot goes through your mind. You want to tell them to shut the fuck up and let them know how idiotic they are for not understanding your point of view, but....people do not like it when terminal/and or regular illnesses are the subject of a weird parody.

My mom had cancer you know, and I bet many other people here know people that have had it, or have even had it themselves.

Now I know I am not the most sparkling clean member here, but that sort of stuff is off limits. It's just something you don't do...\
  • Reply 37 of 131
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

Announced hardware...

-95% chance for the iMac G5

-70% chance for the iSight 2

-40% chance for a the 6GB iPod mini

-30% chance for a new DLD

I think Steve Jobs will hookup via iChat at some point.

I'd say 100% chance for the iMac G5

and

100% chance for the iSight "2".

The iSight 2 has already been received by several purchasers. It has a new magnetic mount and some minor changes to the housing.

0% chance for a 6 GB iPod mini until Apple can fulfill current demand. Hitachi is not going to be able to deliver 6 GB drives if they still can't deliver 4 GB drives. Early next year probably.

No new digital lifestyle device (something to go along with Airport Express - a remote perhaps?) until after the first of the year.

Steve will most likely say hello via iChat and either introduce the new iMac (as one is also be rolled up on stage) or will be sitting by one talking to Phil at the end of the Keynote.

My 2 cents.
  • Reply 38 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Now I know you did not mean to offend, and when people get mad at you on a message board, a lot goes through your mind. You want to tell them to shut the fuck up and let them know how idiotic they are for not understanding your point of view, but....people do not like it when terminal/and or regular illnesses are the subject of a weird parody.

My mom had cancer you know, and I bet many other people here know people that have had it, or have even had it themselves.

Now I know I am not the most sparkling clean member here, but that sort of stuff is off limits. It's just something you don't do...\

Well, I am terribly sorry for your loss, and anyone else's. I too have had several close family members stricken with various cancers (two of which have died). But, I 100% disagree with you. First, I had no interest to "tell them to shut the fuck up" (or use profanity), and I had no interest in making light of terminal illnesses. Anyone who thought I did has much bigger problems.

And let's be real here, Steve's type of pancreatic cancer is not any more "terminal" than herpes, or any other illness that, left unchecked for years will kill you. Are you seriously suggesting that any oddball, indirect reference to STD's is "crossing the line", or "off limits" because someone may very well have had one, or know someone who died of it? Absurd. The entire notion of "off limits" makes me sick, especially when humor, creative works, public debate, etc are the context. I would never make light of YOUR pain, misery, etc, because I have sincere human compassion, even for those I don't know. But to try to tell me I can't have a free sense of humor, and the right to express that is "crossing the lines" if you ask me.

I can't believe anyone could actually take anything on these forums seriously enough to make issue of it.
  • Reply 39 of 131
    Whatever, faking cancer to start a vegan whatever....
  • Reply 40 of 131
    There will be no iPod updates of any kind until MWSF 05 at the earliest. Apple will be lucky to catch up with existing demand by Christmas as it is. Besides 99% of the planet still doesn't even know the iPod mini exists. Any changes to the line, even if they were possible, would be a complete waste.