Last Minute Predictions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 131
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    A large chunk of the planet will know about the iPod as HP does its advertising on the device!
  • Reply 42 of 131
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    That's not necessarily true at all. Supply issues are being made to seem very bad, when in fact, the iPod mini is now fairly easy to get in the States.
  • Reply 43 of 131
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

A large chunk of the planet will know about the iPod as HP does its advertising on the device!

And HP will run TV ads tonight.
  • Reply 44 of 131
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd personally like to see the Geforce 6800 to be confirmed as shipping by the end of September.

Announcing Doom3 for Mac in partnership with Id would be nice, but no shit it's not going to happen.
  • Reply 45 of 131
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'd personally like to see the Geforce 6800 to be confirmed as shipping by the end of September.

Announcing Doom3 for Mac in partnership with Id would be nice, but no shit it's not going to happen.

yea, that'll be great. announce Doom 3 and then announce iMacs which can't play it8)
  • Reply 46 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yea, that'll be great. announce Doom 3 and then announce iMacs which can't play it8)

Haha.
  • Reply 47 of 131
    Quote:

Cynic!

This is a time for optimism.

We are living in world of peace and prosperity...oh wait...nevermind.

• Reply 48 of 131
    rnskrnsk Posts: 35member
    You all realize that most of the working world is grown people that don't have ump-teen hours/week to run around Uberlit tunnels shooting "fleshy" monsters...or other people trying to do so...right?

One of the things that has, quite frankly, irked me about the PC Biz in recent times (last 5-7 years) is that folks seem to take their cues on how personal computing should be from id Software, as opposed to the vast majority of the *other people* out there that *use* computers, and how to make hardware and software that works better with, and for, you know, actual people

Leave us face it...most folks over the age of say, 25, only have a passing interest in "High End" gaming, because they actually have something else to do with their time, and when they want to compute, they want it to not suck all azz.

Apple designs computers for *that* group of people. Honestly, if you are going to plunk down several hundred dollars for a GPU to play first person shooters...

heheh

::shakes head::

-K
  • Reply 49 of 131
    Quote:

Actually, according to Id, Doom3 runs and looks pretty nice on Geforce 3, 4, and MX series cards, on Low settings.

I'd post some screens, but I can't find any, I just remember that they looked spiffy, even at low.
  • Reply 50 of 131
    This is what I would like to see happen

- They talk about Tiger

- They tell how a new iSight is shipping

- Then Steve either comes on stage or is there by iChat

- Steve and Schiller introduce the new iMac that esencially looks pretty much the same, but sleeker and a smaller base

- Steve talks about how it has a G5 in it and all the other features

- Schillers goes over to the screen, puts his hand on the edge of the screen, turns it back, forth, around to show its mobility and then plucks it right off, and it is still working!

That would be great!

Maybe just some wishful thinking...
  • Reply 51 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tasovar

- Schillers goes over to the screen, puts his hand on the edge of the screen, turns it back, forth, around to show its mobility and then plucks it right off, and it is still working!

Why does everyone soooo want a tablet? This strikes me as a solution looking for a problem.
  • Reply 52 of 131
    I have another prediction nobody seems to have made yet:

There will be a top level iPod with 60GB!

Lineup could then be 20/40/60 or 30/60GB.

Reasons:

- Toshiba should have their new 30/60GB 1.8" HD ready and shipping by now and traditionally Apple is among the very first customers to receive.

- First time ever that there are only two iPod sizes available.

Still there is the question why Apple did not introduce the 4G iPod with a 60GB top model initially. I can only guess that Toshiba could not supply sufficient quantities of the new drives on time. Or is Steve punishing them for revealing Apple as a major buyer of their new HD?

On a sidenote, definitely not on Apple Expo: I am really curious to see what Apple will do with Toshiba's coming 0.85" drives. At the exact size of an SD-Card and a thickness of 3.5/5 mm they will hold 2/4GB! Energy consumption should also be considerably lower than that of the Microdrives.

iPod micro? iPod mini 8GB? iPod watch?

[Sorry, I accidentially postet this as a new topic when I actually wanted to add it to the Last Minute Predictions.]
  • Reply 53 of 131
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iProphet

- First time since the introduction of the 2G iPods that there are only two iPod sizes available.

Fixed that for ya.
  • Reply 54 of 131
    I'm guessing if there's a 60 GB iPod it should do some new tricks, like have video-out to display iPhoto pics on a TV or your home folder.

That's a lot of space for just muzak.
  • Reply 55 of 131
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There will be an annoucement at Paris expo : the mysterious Apple's advertising.

I will not be original and I think that the Imac G5 will be announced. I won't understand that they will delay this announcement 2 or 3 week more. SJ love to make such show, but I am sure that after his not so fake neuroendocrin pancreas cancer, SJ certainly think at the future of Apple after him (and by after him, it can be a simple retirement).

It's time to push his dolphin in the spot-lights.
  • Reply 56 of 131
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I'm guessing if there's a 60 GB iPod it should do some new tricks, like have video-out to display iPhoto pics on a TV or your home folder.

That's a lot of space for just muzak.

The thin client tablet (sort of) Some of this has already been discussed in other threads but I feel that a little rehash might be in order.

What about a smaller tablet like device that is an add on to the mac's own monitor kind of a mirror or client when needed. The mac's OS can support many simultaneous users why can't one of them use this little device. When not in use it can sit on an ipod like dock and charge and perhaps cycle through your iphotos like an ordinary picture frame. It could contain the new 60gb drive to hold the photos and music and use 802.11g to stream to the new airport express in itunes.

Perfect for web surfing showing photos and playing/remotely controlling itunes.

Add a little pen based input using inkwell and you have a personal media device. In any house you could have one or more around in different rooms. Also if you add this chamelion stuff then it could blend into the decor of any room. Spokes on the wheel of the digital hub.

For the prosumer it could double as a wacom cintiq like device for those times that a little photo retouching might be needed.

Price the little thing at less than the 12" ibook and in my opinion you would have a winnner.

I would buy one for the times that I want to use the mac while my wife wants to web surf.

also as hope springs eternal you could put a little iSight into the frame/tablet and have live video confrencing throughout the house. Like a Baby monitor or video intercom. I know that the difficulty is in the compression of the video stream but with the new QT codec it might be possible.

if at a later time apple added compressed video storage to it then you have in essence a tablet/video ipod/ iphoto frame and a market.

Tie in the video with TIVO downloads and you could take your season of star trek or friends with you on vacation for those long waits in the terminals. coupled with AE as a lightweight e-mail checker/ web surfer.

With an add on gps and cigarette lighter adapter an in car/out of car personal navigation device.

not a pda not an ipod not a vpod all of these things and more.

If apple could then make the little bugger windows friendly then it would be a good way to attract switchers.
  • Reply 57 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

There will be an annoucement at Paris expo : the mysterious Apple's advertising.

I will not be original and I think that the Imac G5 will be announced. I won't understand that they will delay this announcement 2 or 3 week more. SJ love to make such show, but I am sure that after his not so fake neuroendocrin pancreas cancer, SJ certainly think at the future of Apple after him (and by after him, it can be a simple retirement).

It's time to push his dolphin in the spot-lights.

I honestly didn't understand a word of this.
  • Reply 58 of 131
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    maybe the chameleon technology will make it into the iPod?

Being white it's ideal because it could be lit from the inside by LED's.

It could throb red when bettery is low, blue during file transfer etc...
  • Reply 59 of 131
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Why does everyone soooo want a tablet? This strikes me as a solution looking for a problem.

Thankfully, people who actually buy computers realize that tablets aren't optimal 99.99% of the time. Tablet computers have been available for a decade now... and nobody buys them.

It seems young forum geeks are tablets' most vocal proponents. Rest assured, all but the wealthiest of them will opt for a desktop or laptop when it actually comes time to purchase a computer.

My last minute prediciton?

Wifi-Video and iTunes AV

One can dream right?

• Reply 60 of 131
    Quote:

Originally posted by philbot

maybe the chameleon technology will make it into the iPod?

Being white it's ideal because it could be lit from the inside by LED's.

It could throb red when bettery is low, blue during file transfer etc...

I totally agree? that would be awesome and could be a use for the 60g hard drives. the only problem with this from a marketing standpoint is that they already have demand>supply of ipods. i think they need another different product that all of the people who own ipods already will buy. novel prediction ( i think ):

a digital videocamera, apple branded, with 60g worth of storage space...