Sources: Apple developing updated AirPorts, two-button mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is said to be readying updates to its AirPort wireless base stations and may soon debut a much demanded two-button mouse.

Updated AirPort Base Stations

According to sources, the company is expected to introduce updates to both its AirPort Extreme and AirPort Express products in the coming months.

While specifics are lacking, sources said the new base stations would sport minor component and software revisions while continuing to support the current AirPort Extreme Card.

One hot, but unconfirmed, rumor is that Apple may be considering the addition of a standard optical audio out port to its AirPort Express product. The current version ships with a 3.5mm mini-Audio jack for analog or optical digital sound, but requires that users purchase a $40 kit to tap the optical interface.

A Two-Button Apple Mouse

In other news, Hell has not frozen over yet, but it very well may.

According to sources who have so far filed accurate reports on Apple's future hardware plans, the company is feverishly working on a two-button wireless optical mouse that it intends to release.

Apple enthusiasts have longed for an Apple-branded two-button mouse for over a decade, but their requests have gone unanswered. So what has changed? According to sources, 'it's the company."

With Apple now profiting from low-priced consumer electronics as it makes a push to reclaim market share from Windows, a two-button mouse is 'almost an essential,' sources said.

It's unclear when the computer maker plans to introduce the mouse. Insiders warned that anticipation may continue to build for months as the company perfects the product.

Apple has just recently reduced the price of its wired mouse to $29 and its wireless optical mouse to $59. The two-button wireless optical mouse would likely debut at the $69 price point once reserved for the company's current wireless mouse.

"Jaws will drop," said one insider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 252
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I agree. A two-button mouse would signify a massive change in UI philosophy that has been steadily heading the other direction.
  • Reply 2 of 252
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Only a wireless model? They would have to come out with a wired model if it was true...that would not be very nice if they didnt.
  • Reply 3 of 252
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    I believe it. Apple has been known to change its way in light of demand or competition. They killed the CRT, then brought it back for the education market demand. They're making USB the primary connectivity option for iPods (Windows market demand), there's rumors of iTunes Music Store subscription model (competition motive), and now this two-button mouse rumour.

I'm just wondering how they'll make it *better*.
  • Reply 4 of 252
    Dear God, please allow this rumor to be true. If there is ANYTHING we need from Apple Computer, it is for all Macs to ship with a two-button mouse. But it needs to be wired.
  • Reply 5 of 252
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    Yah, I switched recently and I tried very hard to stay with the one button mouse as I like how it looked a lot! I just couldnt do it. I missed the wheel and right clicking.
  • Reply 6 of 252
    >1 button mice by default will kill the UI consistency. Period.

One-button as default isn't for the users, it's for the developers. It *forces* them to adhere to the UI guidelines regarding discovery, which are solid, well-founded, established, proven, and there for a reason.

The day Apple ships a 2+-button mouse as default is the day they have jumped the shark.
  • Reply 7 of 252
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    and Steve said unto the multitudes...."It is time."
  • Reply 8 of 252
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    A two button mouse? And they are what? Ahhh.. Talk about missing the boat. The two button boat left 5 years ago. Don't most computers come with a 3 button/w scroll wheel? You can't even use shake without a 3 button mouse.
  • Reply 9 of 252
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Yes, it is about time. I could never understand the argument that a two button mouse was too difficult for the average person. Maybe in 1984 that was true. No one had seen one before. but after Windows got them out there in the millions that was no longer true.

I use an MS four button optical trackball, after having used three button Logitechs for many years. going back to even a two button mouse is painful.
  • Reply 10 of 252
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I think it will be wireless only for the time being. A 'Pro' choice (whoa, careful how you punctuate that). A single button mouse will remain the default for all the usual reasons (UI consistency, developer discipline etc.)

'course, it needs more than two buttons; a third button and a scroll wheel are essential for the apps' this is aimed at. A bit of Apple 'juice' in the design of this functionality may be interesting.
  • Reply 11 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yes, it is about time. I could never understand the argument that a two button mouse was too difficult for the average person.

That's never really been the reason. It's about the developers, developers, developers.

I've got a 2-button + scroll that I love, and wouldn't mind having a solid mouse with that Apple panache... but as default? Never.
  • Reply 12 of 252
    spytapspytap Posts: 50member
    One for consumer, two for pro...at least in terms of shipping.

Now upgrades on the other hand...well alternate streams of revenue are always welcome.
  • Reply 13 of 252
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Two-button mouse as a option? You bet.

The only way I could see this happening as a default, though, is if the mouse contains some kind of invisible mechanism, off by default and adjustable by software, that could detect the location of clicks when clicked.

IOW, to look very similar to their current shipping mouse (the no-button look) but have the option of working like a multi-button mouse.
  • Reply 14 of 252
    Anyone have a mockup on what they think it will look like?
  • Reply 15 of 252
    gavrielgavriel Posts: 175member
    The option of a two-button mice I can live with. But don't you dare ship one standard! You hear me, Apple?

As for me; they'll have to pry this one-button Apple mouse from my cold, dead hand.
  • Reply 16 of 252
    dazabritdazabrit Posts: 273member

Something like this?

I don't know how they can avoid making a MacMice clone unless they do a complete redesign.
  • Reply 17 of 252
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dazabrit

I don't know how they can avoid making a MacMice clone unless they do a complete redesign.

I don't see how they couldn't avoid avoid making a MacMice clone. Ick.
  • Reply 18 of 252
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotty321

Dear God, please allow this rumor to be true. If there is ANYTHING we need from Apple Computer, it is for all Macs to ship with a two-button mouse. But it needs to be wired.

Well, if its wireless, it won't be standard. And why (WHY?) must all macs ship with a two-button mouse?

And I agree with onlooker. Two-buttons is so 1993. If it doesn't have as many buttons as you have fingers, then you're wasting precious digits! [Oh, and if apple does release this, after the "haha, took them long enough" and "about time" postings, it will all be "now where's the scroll wheel? How could they make a mouse without a scroll wheel!" and "How come they limit me to two buttons! Everyone knows you need at least three now" (OK, again, onlooker has already skipped stage one and jumped right to two).

And the one-button mouse has been about simplicity, not "well, if we put out a two button mouse, developers will stop following guidelines, so let's not do it!". That hasn't stopped developers from making crappy, non-standard interfaces that don't interact the way they should.

Oh, and if you go into iTunes, right-click/ctrl-click on a song, you have the option to reset a song's playcount. I, for the life of me, can't find anywhere else to perform this task. Seems apple is having trouble following their own rules if that's what the one-button mouse thing was for.
  • Reply 19 of 252
    I hope it has a "scroll-wheel" like the new laptops, so there's no actual scroll-wheel, but the whole front of the mouse can be used as one.
  • Reply 20 of 252
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I vote for a three button mouse with no scroll wheel - I hate scroll wheels, and I need three buttons for X-windows via VNC.

Hopefully they will make the airport extreme more signal robust when they revise it. If it works better and has a built in digital out then I will buy one.